LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella - how has your treatment worked?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella - how has your treatment worked?
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've had bartonella for many years, and I'm going to treat it now. Some of the abx I have used in the past is supposed to have some effect on bart, but my infection is still there.

Please share you experinces with treating bart:

- Which ABX
- Dosage
- For how long?
- And, how well did it work for you?

I know this has been asked before, but I ask people to answer it more specific (dosage,effects ++)

this means a lot to me

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only treated it with herbs and microcurrent.

I published my protocol yesterday in Buhner's yahoo site. I had it for at least 2 years, got re-infected in May this year, but I think I got finally rid of it.

It's still too early to say, but I'm not treating it for the last weeks and I'm symptomless. Only time will tell though, but I wrote my protocol before I totally forget which herbs I took against it.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a quinilone abx like levaquin and another say biaxin xl.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started my bartonella treatment almost 3 weeks ago.

It is not going so great. I was taking Levaquin but I was in so much pain I had to stop.

We couldn't tell if it was a herx or tendon problems from the abx.

If you know of a better combo let me know.

Are you doing treatment for bart now?

Take care, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I took one 250 mg levaquin for 4 days on/3 days off for 3 months.

This protocol did wonders for me as it helped with my walking and dramatically decreased the severe muscle spasms I suffered from bartonella.

The tendon pain was becoming severe so I ended treatment a month before I really wanted to.

Unfortunately, very slowly, the muscle spasms are again ramping up in intensity and my walking is beginning to fail again. The tendon pain has disappeared.

I don't believe I was treated long enough. I had to do low-dose levaquin because it's intolerable at regular strength for me.

Next week I will talk to my LLMD about possibly getting at least another 3 weeks of treatment in, and soon.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymelady,

I hope the Levaquin works out for you.

I am rather disappointed that I had problems with it. I was hoping to kill some bartonella butt.

Good luck to you, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- Which ABX - Rifampin and Flagyl
- Dosage - 300mg twice a day / 275mg once a day
- For how long? 6 mos full dose, added in Cats Claw and cut Rifampin dose to 300mg once a day
- And, how well did it work for you?

Kicked the h___ out of me at first. GO VERY SLOW building up to that 600mg of Rifampin. (Like 1/2 of the 300 mg once a day for a few days, then build up - with a doctor's ok of course.

I've been off abx 2 years and 9 months now. I have my life back. I feel normal and feel better than I have in more than 15 years.

But what works for some may not work for all.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a one month homeopathic remedy from Deseret Biologicals. I herxed pretty hard and was on the floor for about two weeks, then came back out of it. I've been much better off since using this product.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JULIE -- were you kicking Lyme and bart with your combo, or just bart? I have not heard of your combo for Lyme/bart, is unusual.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cd57 - My combo was for both. My LLMD feels Rifampin hits both. As I had been undxd for Lyme for more than a decade, my LLMD felt the flagyl would bust cysts out of hiding and get hit with the rifampin. (I picked up Bart with a rebite about 9 mos before I had finally gotten dxd with both.)

So far 2yrs, 9 mos - no relapse. Just continual improvement.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 4 3-4 week stints of Levaquin. Cant remember the dosage, sorry! Guess my brain is still a little Lymie.

It has pretty much taken away my symptoms and I had no side effects. I did have ligament pain, but that was a Bart symptom for me. It did get worse when I herxed, but then got much better.

Hope you find something that works for you,
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently doing:
Rifampin 600 mg/day
Doxy 400 mg/day
Omnicef 600 mg/day

for bart and Lyme. I'm 6 weeks in and have noticed some improvement in physical symptoms, but dramatic worsening in primarily psych symptoms (extreme anxiety/depression, bouts of crying and hopelessness). Also heart racing from time to time. Doc says to keep plugging along, probably for 6 more months.

I think Rifampin hits cystic Lyme too. Something else is definitely going on here. Plus Rifampin will work on mycoplasma p, which I have also. LLMD says I will notice improvement soon and that this combo is "getting at the deep infection, peeling it away by layers". Sounds about right to me, and I do trust him implicitly.

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peter j     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies, and please keep them coming.

kitkat32: I'm not on anything now.

Posts: 275 | From Home | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter worked up to 500mg zith daily. Then, at six months, added Rifampin. She was supposed to go to 600mg daily, but could only manage 300mg.

After 4-5 months, her stomach was a mess so she cut back to 4 days a week.

Because she rarely ventures outdoors, she was deficient in Vitamin D, which they are finding is essential. When she added that, she herxed BIG.

But, her ANA numbers came tumbling down. It took a year to feel it was knocked down pretty good.

It must've also hit her mycoplasma p. because she is breathing much better.

Now, we are on Babesia treatment.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

kelmo: how is your daughter now?
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take rifampin (dose similar to others')
and pulse tindimax
in addition to a high dose of ceftin

Most of my symptoms are at-bay, I'm back at work, but I'm continuing treatment, bec my CD57 count is still very low.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at 8 weeks treating Bart with Factive. So far a few of my physical symptoms improved, but my psych symptoms have worsened. That could be a side effect, or that the Factive isn't working well enough.

My LLMD added in Bicillin shots (1.2 mu twice/week) to boost the Factive and kill off some Lyme. I seem to be herxing, so i think it's getting the Lyme.

Next course of action is to either double the Factive dose or switch to Levaquin.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken various abx over the years that should have some effect on bart, but am still having bart issues.

Tried Levaquin, but developed tendon problems and stopped after a few months.

I've never tried Rifampin, but may ask about it at next visit.

Am now taking:

Biaxin (500mg twice daily)
Bactrim twice daily (don't know dosage, sorry)

and will be pulsing Tindamax (500mg twice daily) 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off

LLMD wanted to add Plaquenil but I don't tolerate it well (headache & vision issues)

Also, supplementing Vit D (thanks kelmo!)

Anyone else taking Bactrim or Septra for bart? Am I the only one??

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm finally starting to have some nasty herxes on Levaquin (500mg). It took about 2 weeks to feel anything, though.

Has anyone else had a delayed reaction like this?

They're very intense: last about 6 hours each; my fever shoots up to 103; sweating; tailbone begins to send shooting pains down my legs; repetitive vomiting; everything itches; ears start popping; headache; and horrible anxiety sets in.

Unlike my other herxes on Rifampin, when they're over, they're over, and I don't get one until the next day.

At first I was discouraged by Levaquin, but now that I'm finally starting to see something, I think I may stay on it before starting my Rifampin/Mino combo.

Part of me sort of worries that this is not Bart but really Babesia, even though I tested negative. [confused]

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

Ellie K:

your herx sounds horrible

"Part of me sort of worries that this is not Bart but really Babesia, even though I tested negative"

"tailbone begins to send shooting pains down my legs"

I've seen this with many others - and myself as well when we treat with abx which hit the bart.

In my case (many years ago) it felt like an intense "tooth ache pain" in my left leg.

Is that somewhat similar to what you experience?

peter j
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11825

It's been almost a month, and I still haven't got my duck to start treatment (!) Please keep your answers coming..
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus-I'm taking bactrim for bart and babs (along with zith.) Was doing well until starting month 4-then downhill. Starting month 5 and slowly climbing up again.
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellie K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellie K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter,

I really hope you can start treatment soon! My LLMD says Bart is very fast-growing, especially compared to Lyme.

I'm sorry I did not reply to your question sooner regarding the widespread pain that I experienced while on Levaquin.

I think you could indeed describe it as "toothache-like" in that it was sort of dull and shooting at the same time, and felt very deep (like close to the nerves, if that makes sense).

I treated Bart for a little over 2 months before moving on to treat Lyme with Bicillin. I just wanted to say that I have found my Lyme herxes to be less painful and less severe than my ones with Bart, which I was very happy to discover.

For me, Bart involved a lot of itching, sharp shooting pains, burning skin, along with vomiting and high fevers.

My lyme herxes, on the other hand, tend to involve more eye/ear issues, anxiety and insomnia, but less pain, and no fevers or vomiting. As I have only been in this for a few weeks, I realize that I may be speaking prematurely. [Roll Eyes]

I am not sure if my Bart is gone or not, though I certainly hope so. I may need to return and treat it after working on Lyme for a while.

One final note: I agree with others that it can be very difficult (if not impossible!) to return to Rifampin after taking a break from it.

I was on Rifampin/Septra for one month, followed by a month of Levaquin 500mg-- however, when I returned to Rifampin at 600mg (along with 300mg Mino) for my 3rd month of tx, I swear it practically killed me. [Razz]

I have never felt so awful as I did on Rifampin for the second round. I literally vomited over ten times a day. I felt as though I had been poisoned. [puke] I don't if this phenomenon has a scientific basis, but it was pretty remarkable.

I know Levaquin has a bad rep on this board, but I personally credit it with the most progress that I made in my war against Bart. If you have stomach issues, it's probably preferable to Rifampin.

Good luck, Peter, keep us updated with your progress! [spinning smile]

Posts: 390 | From Oakland, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement