LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » President Bush Treated for Lyme Disease Last Year???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: President Bush Treated for Lyme Disease Last Year???
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I just hear Katie Couric say on the 4:00 Newsbreak that President Bush was treated for lyme disease last year?
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY, I am not nuts!!!

well at least not in this topic!!!

What a powerful advovate he coould have been for us-I am ticked!!
[cussing]

BJG

I just posted it also!!!!

BJG

Posts: 468 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! I checked it out on website. It was announced as a part of his annual physical results today. He was bitten last August, got the bull's eye rash- wouldn't you know- treated, and is now going on his merry way - a poster boy for the IDSA! I think I'm gonna be sick!
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he will relapse.

HOW was he treated? with what, and the length of time he was treated would be something to know.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that we all have the excellent health care that our esteemed leader has.

I hope this will at least spark some stories on Lyme without the IDSA slant.

Wonder where he got bit.....

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps President Bush is not well from lyme. I question some of his cognitive decisions! LOL

No I don't intend to start a political debate--just adding humor. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG - I can't BELIEVE this! President Bush? And I thought he was crazy before... actually, this might explain a lot, if you think about it.

I just can't bring myself to wish it had turned chronic. I can't really wish that on anyone, not even... (though it would have been an amazing opportunity for us if it had gone chronic...)

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that the President would have been told that his bulls-eye rash is definitely an infected spider bite.... so no antibiotics are needed?

Just like so many of us.... [Frown]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We probably will never know what his treatment was. I cant believe i he only had 3-4 weeks of Doxy and went on with life. He must still feel the effects of it.

Maybe they didnt announce it until now because of extended treatment???

interesting

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and of course he had the perfect bullseye rash.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course he would have the perfect bullsye. You've got to give something for Cheney to aim for the next time they go hunting...

Seriously, I'd bet a lot of money that he was treated way beyond the guidelines that say 10 days of ABX.

I know of Dr.s who will reluctantly write a Rx for 10 days of ABX for a tick bite for patients but when it's a member of their family they insist that the family member get at least a month of high dose ABX. Talk about your double standards...

I guess we'll know for sure if we see a Secret Service Agent following him around with an IV cart.

Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right you are Motown--once you catch onto that double standard, the world changes, and not for the good.
I heard an MD Lyme researcher (Steere Camp) say that she treated herself any time she went into the woods on a tick search, with no evidence of a bite or infection required. I don't blame her, that's the smart thing to do--the single doxy thing-and that's what I do.
But when i heard that, my view of medicine did a 180.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greatcod,

Too true. I think that if I can get my mind wrapped around it enough I'll write a letter to the White House. ALL of us should.

Maybe, just maybe, if we can keep it in the news and get some of our experiences out there we can see some change.

Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I thought bush had lyme about 2 to 3 years ago-
his speech got Much worse quickly --

He used to be able to run his mouth OK-
then Bam -
Reminded me of what has happened to me-

I thought about bring this subject up
but I did not -

There is a video on youtube that compares
his speaking ability threw the years--
It got very noticeably worse --

I have not been able to find the video again
but I will look more-

I can see this haveing Good results --
We sure need to Make a Big Deal out of this-

--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

This is what We need to do--

Call your local TV stations and tell
them that you Have Lyme Disease and
that you are Knowledgeable about Lyme-

The reporters will want to interview you
or the people you suggest--

Call ALL of your TV stations --
Do it right now --TV stations are 24X7 --

Many TV stations also have email where
you can give them News stories ect-

If we spend the next few days working on
this we could have Good results--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a video that compares Bush speaking 10 (now 13) years ago with footage from the last election, and quotes some doctor as saying that these kinds of speaking flaws show that Bush is on his way to dementia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVilAlCBYc&mode=related&search=

If he'd had Lyme in the past few years (and last year was just a re-infection) that would explain all of this.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, 9 years ago, I was "treated successfully" too with a 15-day course of antibiotics.

The bullseye rash disappeared, and I didn't really think about it again...
until my entire body mind and spirit started to deteriorate.

Articles like this make it difficult for the disease to be taken seriously. People say: it's no big deal; heck, look at the president. People just get over it.

With all the work he does on his ranch and the vacationing in Maine, I'm not surprised. But I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone and sincerely hope he got treated long enough to really take care of the bacteria.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, my rash disappeared and my Lyme symptoms disappeared with a short course of antibiotics. They disappeared for about a year and a half.

Then they came back with a vengeance and whalloped me for about 6 years till I finally got antibiotics again.

oh God I hope there's some way to get some attention to this awful illness this way.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the whole document:

President George W. Bush
Summary of Medical History
August 7, 2007

With a date of birth of July 6, 1946, the President is 61 years old.
Past Medical History

There is no past medical history of hypertension, diabetes, tuberculosis, sexually transmitted disease, or stroke. The President benefits from a `low' to `very low' [favorable] coronary artery disease risk profile with a favorable family medical history, absence of modifiable risk factors; superior fitness, favorable CAD markers [e.g. CRP, lipids] and functional studies [`stress echocardiogram'], and `minimal/mild' coronary artery calcification noted on anatomic study [coronary artery computed tomography, 12/2004].
Erythema migrans consistent with early, localized Lyme disease, treated, with

complete resolution and without recurrence, 8/06.
Seborrheic keratosis.
Actinic keratoses identified and treated with liquid nitrogen.
Telangiectasias, nasal bridge, consistent with solar damage; treated 8/03.
Vasovagal syncope, 1/02; solitary episode with identifiable precipitating event superimposed on longstanding, non-pathologic sinus bradycardia [consistent with a conditioned heart]; evaluation 1/02, no sequelae, and no recurrence since 1/02.
Adenomatous colonic polyps [5 tubular adenomas, each < 1.0 cm without advanced features] removed on surveillance colonoscopy 7/07. Repeat colonoscopy is indicated in 3 years.
Mild high frequency hearing loss documented and stable on prior exams; speech frequencies excellent. Currently no symptoms.
History of seasonal allergic rhinitis; asymptomatic this spring with preventive seasonal use of nasal corticosteroid spray.
The President has a history of activity-related injuries as noted below, which resolved without sequelae and do not impact his current duties. He continues a vigorous aerobic, weight training, and flexibility program.
Musculoskeletal low back pain secondary to heavy lifting and tight `hamstrings';

fully evaluated in 1990; asymptomatic due to current exercise and flexibility program.
Intermittent bilateral anterior knee pain, activity-related, with a left medial

meniscal injury and subsequent surgical repair in 1997. Orthopedic and radiographic re-evaluation in 12/03 confirmed an old incomplete tear of the PCL of the right knee with resultant patello-femoral chondromalacia, post-traumatic degenerative changes, and asymptomatic medial meniscal damage, all most consistent with a remote athletic injury and physical activity. Symptoms resolved with quadriceps strengthening, cross-training [biking], and elimination of routine impact exercises [e.g. running] from his routine. Right `calf' running injury [strain/tear], 4/03, most consistent with overuse.

Symptoms resolved.
Minor abrasions and lacerations secondary to injuries sustained while biking, all healed without sequelae.
Gastroesophageal reflux with well-defined triggers, 2005, without recurrence.
Vitreous floaters, infrequent, evaluated by retinologist 3/06; examination normal for age [non-pathologic age-related changes only].
Mild hyperopic astigmatism/presbyopia, fully correctable. Uses reading glasses as-needed.
Blood transfusions: none.

Past Surgical History

Appendectomy 1956
Left medial menisectomy as above, 3/97

Medications

The President takes a daily multi-vitamin. He does not routinely use prescription medications.

Immunizations

The President's immunizations are current for worldwide travel.

Social History

Tobacco: An occasional cigar

Alcohol: None

Caffeine: Diet sodas and coffee

Exercise: The President exercises six times per week. Workouts include cycling,

elliptical trainer, resistance training, and flexibility exercises.

Other: A viral illness prompted rearrangement of the President's schedule at a morning

session of the G8 in June. The President has not otherwise missed work due to illness

since his last physical exam.

Physical Examination

Vital Statistics

Height: 71.50 inches [without shoes]
Temperature: 97.8 degrees F [oral]
Weight: 192.0 [last year 196.0]
Body Composition: Body fat 16.6% [last year 16.8%; normal for age 16.5-20.5%; Cooper
data]
Resting heart rate [seated]: 52 bpm
Resting blood pressure [seated]: 117/71

System-specific examination summary

ENT [ears, nose, and throat]: Physical examination of the head, neck, and thyroid are normal except for a serous otitis media as well as signs and symptoms consistent with maxillary sinusitis and recovering mild vestibular neuronitis. Audiogram shows bilaterally symmetric high frequency sensorineural hearing loss consistent with age and without significant change from previous exams. Thyroid function tests were normal.

Eyes: No ocular pathology was noted on dilated ophthalmoscopic examination. Visual fields were normal. Distant visual acuity was 20/20. Corrected near visual acuity was 20/20 in both eyes [the President uses reading glasses as needed]. Intraocular pressures were normal bilaterally.

Neurologic exam: Comprehensive examination normal.

Pulmonary: Normal.

Gastrointestinal: Normal. Colonoscopy was last performed in July 2007. No recurrence of previously described symptoms consistent with occasional gastroesophageal reflux.

Abdominal examination normal.

Cardiology: Physical examination of the circulatory system was normal. The resting EKG
revealed sinus bradycardia consistent with previous exams and aerobic conditioning.

Fasting lipid panel: total cholesterol: 170 [last year 174; `desirable'<200]; HDL: 51 [last year 60; >40]; LDL: 106 [last year 101; `optimal'<100, `desirable'/'near optimal' <130]; total cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.3 [last year 2.9]; Triglycerides: 61 [last year 71; <150]. hsCRP: < 0.012 [range 0.0-0.5]. Homocysteine: 12.5 [range 7.6-20.8].

The President underwent Balke protocol exercise treadmill testing [ETT] with echocardiogram. He exercised for a total of 25:01 minutes achieving a maximum heart rate of 184 bpm with a 1-minute recovery of 150 bpm [34 beat differential]. No signs or symptoms of cardiovascular pathology were noted. Stress echocardiogram was normal.

Dermatology: Seborrheic keratoses and lesions consistent with solar damage [e.g. telangiectasias] noted as in past. History of past actinic keratosis was noted but none discovered on this exam.

Musculoskeletal: General musculoskeletal survey was unremarkable.

Genitourinary System: Normal. PSA was 0.6 [normal < 4.0].

Laboratories
A standard battery of routine screening laboratory tests was performed and was unremarkable.

Summary

The President remains in excellent health and is `fit for duty'. All data suggest that he will remain so for the duration of his Presidency. Based on an overview of his examination and history the following clinical diagnoses are made:

1. The President remains in the `superior' fitness category for men his age [greater than ninety-seventh percentile for 60-64 year-old men; Cooper].
'Low' to 'very low' coronary artery disease risk profile. Coronary artery disease [CAD] `activity-marker' evaluation [including C-reactive protein, homocysteine, and lipids], and `functional' studies [exercise treadmill test] stratify the President to a 'low' to 'very low' coronary risk category. Continued 'therapeutic lifestyle measures' [i.e. reduced intake of saturated fat and cholesterol, regular physical activity, and weight control] are appropriate.
Sinus bradycardia, asymptomatic, non-pathologic, and consistent with a conditioned heart.
History of vasovagal syncope without pathology, sequelae, or recurrence.
2.History of vitreous floaters, infrequent, nonpathologic, normal for age. Mild hyperopic astigmatism/presbyopia, fully correctable.
3.Seasonal allergic rhinitis, well-controlled.
4.Serous otitis media and maxillary sinusitis with mild viral vestibular neuronitis, recovering.
5.History of mild high frequency sensorineural hearing loss unchanged from previous examinations.
6.History of gastroesophageal reflux without recurrence.
7.History of colonic adenomas, removed 7/07. Repeat colonoscopy indicated in 3 years.
9.History of activity-related musculoskeletal injuries currently without symptoms or limitations
10. Skin lesions consistent with solar damage. Recommend continued sun-protection measures [e.g. sunscreen, wide-brimmed hats, etc.]. Seborrheic keratoses--treatment not indicated nor requested. History of early, localized Lyme disease, treated without recurrence or sequelae. Recommend standard precautions in endemic areas.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Hi All

I just called the 4 Local TV stations here in
Austin and told them that I have Lyme
and that I would be willing to give them Inrerviews --they all excepted --

So I think All 4 of them are going to do stories on it-

NOW is the Time to do this --Act Now --

Most TV stations have a phone # to call with Breaking News--Hot Line-- call that number --
It goes straight to the New Desk and you will be
able to talk to a Live person--

Call the TV stations and tell them your story-

--Jay--

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy,

I respect you for your courage.

I STILL don't understand why LDA is so lethargic regarding bringing the Lyme story to the public.

BUT they are!

This is such a good opportunity to move our things forward and I am sure that LDA is going to do the usual, which is most likely NOTHING.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Areneli said..

"I STILL don't understand why LDA is so lethargic regarding bringing the Lyme story to the public. BUT they are! This is such a good opportunity to move our things forward and I am sure that LDA is going to do the usual, which is most likely NOTHING."

May I ask...

1. Are you SURE they are doing NOTHING? Have you spoken with them since the announcement was made?

2. Instead of sitting there kicking them (and I believe you are doing it without having all the facts)... please tell us... what are YOU going to do about it?

Just so you know...

You just blasted them within FOUR hours of an announcement that just came out for doing NOTHING.

Might you give folks time to actually SEE it (for example- I JUST got home and I JUST saw it and am reading it now). Can you give folks time to read it and maybe even have supper and call dozens of people once they get off work and arrive home... before expecting them to have a full plan prepared, discussed, sorted through, checked over by others and sent out to the public?

And why didn't you complain and ask...

What is ILADS doing about it.. or the LDF? Or the PA groups.. or the TX groups.. or the Florida groups?

Kicking someone like that is NOT a reasonable thing to do.. in MY opinion. They are all volunteers working hard to help YOU and a zillion others. Rather than beat on them.. why not just ask if you can HELP?

I am sure you have access to a phone, a computer and a piece of paper.. and I KNOW you have knowledge of the topic.

So what have you done about it?

Nothing?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My feeling is that he was treated with IV abx or orals for atleast 6 months if not more.

Why else would the public just be notified of this finding?

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point well taken, Tincup.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Hi All

I spent the last 5 hours emailing
ABC news
CBS News
NBC news
Cnn
Anderson Cooper-
Larry King -
CBS Morning show-
CBS 60 Minutes
ABC 20/20-
ABC Dateline-

and called 4 tv stations in Austin TX-

I also got a hold of my LLMD and she
has OKed doing interviews

Now is the Time to email the news
and get lyme covered in the national news--

Its not hard to do interviews so volunteer
to do one if needed --

Call your local TV stations --

This opportunity will Not come again-

It is Important that you take action-
and call and write the TV networks-

So Just Do It --Jay--

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Groovy... GO!

Go Groovy... GO!

GREAT job!

I have been working on a press release and have sent a letter in response to the articles that have appeared.

But brain is done for.. which I reckon is to be expected at 3:30 in the morning.

Will start fresh when I've rested a bit... and then I'll keep on keeping on!

Thanks for your fantastic efforts!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least now I have an irrefutable reply for those who say, "There's no lyme in Texas."
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GROOOOOOVY!*)!*)*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**)!*)!*)!)!*)!!!!!!!!!!!!)*!)!!

I have wondered about him before!!!
Not you Groovy- President Mister B!!!!!!!!

I wonder if they delayed knowledge of it because they are aware of all the Lyme stuff or if it was just routine- could be either way- but I wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From all the people that I have known that have been treated early for lyme disease the vast majority get well and never see it reappear. That is probably what happened with Bush.

Unfortunately, as someone already mentioned, it is the cases of early detection and treatment like this that make lyme seem so harmless. It does not delve into the complexity of serious chronic problems that occur in a minority of cases that are undetected/untreated and/or in people who have particular genetics or other vulnerabilities to chronic infection. So this news won't help us.

I don't trust the administration to tell the truth, but I seriously doubt he has been on continuous abx or IV.

Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush is OK because the rash did not recur--how bad is that?? Are they serious???

The story in the NY Times today quoted the Columbia doctor as saying that Bush's vestibular neuritis was not due to Lyme because the rash did not recur after initial Lyme treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/washington/09health.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had email the huffington post this morning to run the story..since it wasn't on there yet...

IT IS NOW! huffingtonpost.com

--------------------
Bill

**Question everything...it may save your life!!!**

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lorima
Member # 11925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lorima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting!

I bet he's had it a long time, but was not diagnosed (like so many of us) until this last bite, with the rash.

That would explain the drooping left side of face (Bell's palsy is often only partial paralysis), the reported fainting from atrial fibrillation, and the swallowing problem.

It could help explain the many vacations and short working hours (fatigue), and the mental and verbal problems - although his history indicates he has had those all his life. (But maybe he got Lyme as a child - lots of people do, especially outdoorsy ones!) His inability to achieve academically, and to focus on a career (before he entered the 'family business' of politics) could be symptomatic of neuro-lyme.

I've noticed that my Lyme symptoms tend to be exacerbations of weaknesses I've had all my life, in a milder form. When I'm sick and tired, it's harder to compensate.

My husband is very physically active, like GWB, despite his Lyme symptoms - for people who like to move, exercise is the last thing they'll give up.

Now I wonder if the bulge on GWB's back in the 2004 debate was a communication device, as I had assumed, or an external defibrillator, as soe others have suggested.

I don't think it helps us Lymies, though, as the spin will be all IDSA. If he gets sicker, they'll probably call it something else, or hide it until his term is over.

There is a downside to emphasizing the neuro symptoms of Lyme in the popular view, I'm sure we all realize - possible hiring discrimination, etc.
Not sure we want everyone to instantly think "dementia" any time we mention that we have Lyme.

Lorima

Posts: 74 | From MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement