LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » An email reply from the CBS 5 doctor regarding the # of hours for lyme transmission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An email reply from the CBS 5 doctor regarding the # of hours for lyme transmission
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote and called saying that the information in her story about Bush and lyme was wrong when she said a tick has to be attached for 24 hours to give you lyme.

This is from Dr. Kim Mulvihill.

"Mulvihill, Kim K" [email protected]

Thank you for writing, I appreciate your viewpoint. Yes, when it comes to medical issues we never say never, and we never say always. I checked with the experts at the state level before putting our story together, but understand that you disagree with their information.

Thank you for offering other resources and I will keep your information on file for future stories.

Thanks for watching, and again, thanks for writing.
Kim

STATE OF CALIFORNIA-HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AGENCY Department of
Health Services
Division of Communicable Disease Control
LYME DISEASE
What is Lyme disease?
Lyme disease is an infectious disease caused by a bacterium known as a
spirochete.
People get Lyme disease when a tick infected with the Lyme disease
bacterium
attaches and feeds on them. Lyme disease was first recognized in the
northeastern
United States in the 1970s. Lyme disease has been reported from many
areas of the
country, including California.
What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?
Lyme disease can affect many body systems. Symptoms can vary and
diagnosis can
be difficult. Lyme disease can start as a mild flu-like illness and,
over time, develop into
severe chronic health problems. The early stages of the disease can
include a red,
expanding skin rash (called erythema migrans or EM), chills and fever,
headache,
swollen lymph nodes, muscle and joint pain, weakness of some muscles in
the face,
and heart irregularities. The EM rash appears up to 30 days after the
bite of an infected
tick. One or more EM rashes can occur, not necessarily at the tick
bite.
The rash can
precede, accompany, or follow flu-like symptoms. The rash may not be
noticed in some
instances due to skin tone or occurrence on the body in locations
difficult to see.
Occasionally, an allergic reaction to the tick bite can occur on the
skin and may be
mistaken for an EM. The allergic reaction is different from an EM rash
because it
happens within minutes to hours after the tick bite and does not
spread.
If left untreated, arthritis or nervous system signs can develop in
some
Lyme disease
patients. Arthritis is most likely to appear as bouts of pain and
swelling, usually in one
or more large joints, especially the knees. Nervous system
abnormalities
can include
numbness, tingling, or pain in the arms and legs, or difficulties in
memory and the ability
to concentrate.
Lyme disease can be successfully treated with antibiotics, especially
in
the early stages.
The potential for long-term complications increases if the disease
progresses untreated.
How does one get Lyme disease?
The western blacklegged tick, Ixodes pacificus, transmits the bacteria
that cause Lyme
disease to humans in California. The tick has three life stages: larva,
nymph, and adult.
The larvae and nymphs feed on the blood of small rodents, rabbits,
lizards, birds, and
occasionally large mammals. Adults feed on the blood of large mammals,
principally
deer.
Both nymphs and adults of the western blacklegged tick can transmit the
infection to
humans. Nymphs likely play a greater role in transmission of Lyme
disease to humans
because they are small (<1mm or about the size of a poppy seed) and
thus
difficult to
see. Also, in some areas, a higher percentage of nymphal ticks carry
the
Lyme disease
STATE OF CALIFORNIA-HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AGENCY Department of
Health Services
organism than adult ticks. An infected tick must be attached and
feeding
for at least a
day before it can transmit the spirochetes.
Where is the risk of getting Lyme disease greatest in California?
The western black-legged tick has been found in 55 of the 58 counties
in
California. It is
abundant in the humid coastal areas and on the western slope of the
Sierra Nevada
range. Ticks prefer cool, moist environments and can be found on wild
grasses and low
vegetation in both urban and rural areas. Adult ticks climb to the tip
of vegetation along
animal trails and wait for a host to brush against them. Nymphs are
found in low, moist
vegetation such as leaf litter. Adults are most active from November
through March and
the nymphs are active primarily from March through August.
What can be done to keep from getting Lyme disease?
. Avoid areas where ticks are known to occur.
. Stay in the middle of the trail; avoid trail margins, brush, and
grassy areas.
. Tuck pants into boots or socks, and shirt into pants.
. Wear light-colored clothing and long-sleeved shirts so ticks can be
more easily seen.
. Apply insect repellents labeled for ticks to clothing.
. Thoroughly check yourself and others for ticks during and after
activities in
tick-infested areas.
. Keep grass along trails, buildings, and camping areas mown.
How should attached ticks be removed?
. Using tweezers, grasp the tick's mouthparts as close to the skin as
possible.
. Gently pull the tick straight out, using a firm steady motion.
. Wash your hands and the bite site with soap and water. Apply an
antiseptic to the
bite site.
. Note: Prompt tick removal can prevent transmission of infection.
. Consult with your physician if you develop any symptoms, especially a
rash, within
30 days of the tick bite.
Where can I get more information on Lyme disease?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has information
available
at their
website http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/submenus/sub_lyme.htm.

[ 13. August 2007, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Vanilla ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grace1
Member # 10347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grace1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an interesting question to ask them would by why does it happen to be 24 hours, just so coincidentally the exact number of hours in a day. do ticks and bacteria have digital clocks?

why not 23 hours, or 22, or 25? or 20 hours and 18 minutes?

Posts: 98 | From San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I just sent an email to Senator Schumer of NY - also being treated for Lyme.
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
reformatting dr. kim's reply to vanilla so i/other neuro lymies can read it! bettyg [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla:

I wrote and called saying that the information in her story about Bush and lyme was wrong when she said a tick has to be attached for 24 hours to give you lyme.

This is from Dr. Kim Mulvihill.

"Mulvihill, Kim K" [email protected]

Thank you for writing, I appreciate your viewpoint. Yes, when it comes to medical issues we never say never, and we never say always.

I checked with the experts at the state level before putting our story together, but understand that you disagree with their information.

Thank you for offering other resources and I will keep your information on file for future stories.

Thanks for watching, and again, thanks for writing. Kim

STATE OF CALIFORNIA
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AGENCY
Department of Health Services

LYME DISEASE

What is Lyme disease?

Lyme disease is an infectious disease caused by a bacterium known as a spirochete. People get Lyme disease when a tick infected with the Lyme disease
bacterium attaches and feeds on them.

Lyme disease was first recognized in the
northeastern United States in the 1970s. Lyme disease has been reported from many areas of the
country, including California.

What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?

Lyme disease can affect many body systems. Symptoms can vary and diagnosis can be difficult.

Lyme disease can start as a mild flu-like illness and, over time, develop into severe chronic health problems.

The early stages of the disease can include a red,
expanding skin rash (called erythema migrans or EM), chills and fever, headache, swollen lymph nodes, muscle and joint pain, weakness of some muscles in the face, and heart irregularities.

The EM rash appears up to 30 days after the bite of an infected tick. One or more EM rashes can occur, not necessarily at the tick bite.

The rash can precede, accompany, or follow flu-like symptoms. The rash may not be noticed in some
instances due to skin tone or occurrence on the body in locations difficult to see.

Occasionally, an allergic reaction to the tick bite can occur on the skin and may be mistaken for an EM. The allergic reaction is different from an EM rash because it happens within minutes to hours after the tick bite and does not spread.

If left untreated, arthritis or nervous system signs can develop in some Lyme disease patients.

Arthritis is most likely to appear as bouts of pain and swelling, usually in one or more large joints, especially the knees. Nervous system
abnormalities can include:

numbness, tingling, or pain in the arms and legs, or difficulties in memory and the ability to concentrate.

Lyme disease can be successfully treated with antibiotics, especially in the early stages.

The potential for long-term complications increases if the disease progresses untreated.

How does one get Lyme disease?

The western blacklegged tick, Ixodes pacificus, transmits the bacteria that cause Lyme disease to humans in California.

The tick has three life stages: larva, nymph, and adult.

The larvae and nymphs feed on the blood of small rodents, rabbits, lizards, birds, and ccasionally large mammals.

Adults feed on the blood of large mammals,
principally deer.

Both nymphs and adults of the western blacklegged tick can transmit the infection to humans.

Nymphs likely play a greater role in transmission of Lyme disease to humans because they are small (<1mm or about the size of a poppy seed) and thus difficult to see.

Also, in some areas, a higher percentage of nymphal ticks carry the Lyme disease organism than adult ticks.

An infected tick must be attached and feeding for at least a day before it can transmit the spirochetes.

Where is the risk of getting Lyme disease greatest in California?

The western black-legged tick has been found in 55 of the 58 counties in California. It is
abundant in the humid coastal areas and on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada range.

Ticks prefer cool, moist environments and can be found on wild grasses and low vegetation in both urban and rural areas. Adult ticks climb to the tip of vegetation along animal trails and wait for a host to brush against them.

Nymphs are found in low, moist vegetation such as leaf litter.

Adults are most active from November through March and the nymphs are active primarily from March through August.

What can be done to keep from getting Lyme disease?

. Avoid areas where ticks are known to occur.

. Stay in the middle of the trail; avoid trail margins, brush, and grassy areas.

. Tuck pants into boots or socks, and shirt into pants.

. Wear light-colored clothing and long-sleeved shirts so ticks can be more easily seen.

. Apply insect repellents labeled for ticks to clothing.

. Thoroughly check yourself and others for ticks during and after activities in tick-infested areas.

. Keep grass along trails, buildings, and camping areas mown.

How should attached ticks be removed?

. Using tweezers, grasp the tick's mouthparts as close to the skin as possible.

. Gently pull the tick straight out, using a firm steady motion.

. Wash your hands and the bite site with soap and water. Apply an antiseptic to the bite site.

. Note: Prompt tick removal can prevent transmission of infection.

. Consult with your physician if you develop any symptoms, especially a rash, within 30 days of the tick bite.

Where can I get more information on Lyme disease?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has information available t their website

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/submenus/sub_lyme.htm.

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me once, an hour and a half of a tick on them was all it took to get infected. I would hope that's a rare occurence and that in general more time is needed...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I think ticks have yet to go digital and just use egg timers while they improve their credit scores. It is all they can afford what with out of pocket medical costs so high in the USA.

They have bad credit due to taking too many sick days while they deal with lyme disease and co-infections.

Seriously I wonder if the ticks with lyme disease feel sick or get sick at all? Like the tick that caught lyme from GWB? It might be having election flash backs and strange thoughts about Jeb and Florida and diebold machines. You never know. Do ticks feel guilt?

Do they take on the energy of the person who gave them lyme? Like some transplant patients with a new heart like to eat things the donor use to enjoy. Example would they like pretzels if the person who gave them lyme did too?

Just some food for thought.

RoadRunner
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine saw the tick go on him went in house to take it off as fast as he could and he got a rash that fast.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think that 24 hour business is based on the fact that the keets are in the gut of the tick and take some time to reach the salivary glands to be injected into the victim by the tick. However, there have been studies showing that some ticks already have keets in the salivary glands, so presumably it would take less time to get infected.

Also there are diseases carried by ticks that are injected immediately, no waiting period.

The other thing is that the time quoted for transmission sometimes is said in the media to be 36 or even 48 hours. Not sure where all these different times come from.

And with a very small tick, a tiny nymph, who is going to know how long it has been attached, when it may not even be noticed by the bitee.

Finally, these time estimates come from a very small number of rodent studies some years ago. I don't think this is definitive.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

lou I think you should email the doctor over at CBS 5 because what you just stated makes perfect sense.

I bet Robert Lane might have some insight about this and I asked her to contact him but I doubt she will. She really seemed to just want to go by what the government says. It is sad when a TV reporter/doctor can not think outside the box especially after mis-informing the public about a very serious life altering disease and having it brought to their attention.

Actually I think I am going to start complaining to the powers that be over there at CBS 5 instead of the duc.

I have squeezed and killed at least 2 ticks with my fingers before I knew that you were never to kill a tick this way for your own safety. One was a rather small young tick and I did not even know until months later when I saw a photo that the little orange thing that had been crawling on my desk had been a tick.

[ 13. August 2007, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Vanilla ]

JimMet
Member # 7787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JimMet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, animal studies show that it takes 48 hours for the borrelia to migrate from the tick's gut to its saliva. But that is irrelevant if you squeeze the tick, as I did in my ignorance, when removing it. It then acts as a syringe for its gut contents. Also the cited article says to watch for a rash within 30 days. My first outbreak was 7 weeks after my bite, and then the rash lasted only about 2 hours and looked more like a ringworm around the bite, instead of a flat bulls eye.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lou:
Well, I think that 24 hour business is based on the fact that the keets are in the gut of the tick and take some time to reach the salivary glands to be injected into the victim by the tick. However, there have been studies showing that some ticks already have keets in the salivary glands, so presumably it would take less time to get infected.

Also there are diseases carried by ticks that are injected immediately, no waiting period.

Exactly!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement