LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UMCKA (Pelargonium sidoides) for cold, FLU, bronchitis, TB, yeast, HSV.. (Lyme&cos??)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UMCKA (Pelargonium sidoides) for cold, FLU, bronchitis, TB, yeast, HSV.. (Lyme&cos??)
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks to be a great for fighting cold viruses.
It seems it could be helpful for quite a few issues. (bacteria, yeast, mycobacteria, TB, Bronchitis....)

Phytomedicine
Volume 14, Supplement 1, 5 March 2007, Pages 2-4

From the Zulu medicine to the European phytomedicine Umckaloabo�

Sabine Bladta and Hildebert Wagner, a,
aDepartment of Pharmacy, University of Munich, Butenandtstrasse 5-13, 81377 Munich, Germany

Available online 18 January 2007.

Abstract

Among the Zulus of South Africa a crude root drug of initially unknown botanical origin was used for the treatment of pulmonary diseases and tuberculosis (TB).

An English TB patient called ``Stevens'' heard about it and travelled to South Africa where, according to his account, he was cured by taking an extract of the crude drug.

It was extremely difficult to establish the imported crude herbal drug as a ``new TB medicine'', as neither the plant from which the drug originated was identified nor were the constituents and pharmacological effects known at that time.

It was only after a professional search and initial chemical and taxonomic investigations enabled the identity of the plant to be determined that the requirements were met for comprehensive chemical, pharmacological and clinical research into the crude drug.

The following report traces the long and difficult path of this ``mystery drug'' from the Zululand of South Africa to the laboratories of Europe.

Keywords: Origin of the root botany; Taxonomy; Pelargonium sidoides; Pelargonium reniforme

HerbalGram. 2004;63:17-19 American Botanical Council

Excerpt from:
Extract of Pelargonium sidoides: South African Herbal Remedy Successfully Treats Acute Bronchitis and Tonsillopharyngitis

Active Constituents and Pharmacology

The primary constituents of the root of P. sidoides include coumarins, tannins of the proanthocyanidin type, and simple phenolic compounds.6

Although the mechanism of action of the root extract is somewhat unclear, in vitro studies suggest that it may be related to antimicrobial7 and immunomodulatory8,9 properties that have been demonstrated for the tannins (e.g., catechin, gallocatechin, and gallic acid) and coumarins (e.g., umckalin).

The immunomodulatory actions are mediated by the release of tumor necrosis factor alpha and nitric oxide as well as the stimulation of interferon and an increase of natural killer cells.10

6. Kolodziej H, Schulz V. Umckaloabo: From traditional application to modern phytodrug. Deutsche Apotheker Zeitung. 2003;143:55-64.

7. Kayser O, Kolodziej H. Antibacterial activity of extracts and constituents of Pelargonium sidoides and Pelargonium reniforme. Planta Med. 1997;63(6):508-510.

8. Kayser O, Kolodziej H, Kiderlen AF. Immunomodulatory principles of Pelargonium sidoides. Phytotherapy Res. 2001;15(2):122--126.

9. Kolodziej H, Kayser O, Radtke OA, et al. Pharmacological profile of extracts of Pelargonium sidoides and their constituents. Phytomedicine. 2003;10(Suppl 4):18-24.

10. Koch E, Lanzend�rfer-Goossens H, Wohn C. Stimulation of interferon (INF)-b-synthesis and natural killer (NK) cell activity by an aqueous-ethanolic extract from roots of Pelargonium sidoides (Umckaloabo). Naunyn-Schmeideberg Arch Pharmacol. 2002;365(Suppl 1):R75 (Abstract 288).

In vitro evaluation of antibacterial and immunomodulatory activities of Pelargonium reniforme, Pelargonium sidoides and the related herbal drug preparation EPs� 7630

Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs� 7630) improves phagocytosis, oxidative burst, and intracellular killing of human peripheral blood phagocytes in vitro
Phytomedicine, Volume 14, Supplement 1, 5 March 2007, Pages 46-51

Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs� 7630) inhibits the interactions of group A-streptococci and host epithelia in vitro
Phytomedicine, Volume 14, Supplement 1, 5 March 2007, Pages 52-59

Fascinating metabolic pools of Pelargonium sidoides and Pelargonium reniforme, traditional and phytomedicinal sources of the herbal medicine Umckaloabo�

[ 09-19-2010, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds interesting! I've got some South African neighbors if things don't start looking up over here.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post rang my bell - the little 20 ml bottle of Umckaloabo is right here in my hand. It is an extract of the root of Pelargonium reniforme/sidoides. For chronic infections especially for ENT, bonchitis, sinusitis, angina tonsillaris, rhinopharyngitis. \

When I was in Germany early in the year, I had a bit of the flu and was told by my Klinghardt Therapist friend to try that. It was a bit late, so I do not know what effect it would have had if I had taken it earlier.

If you want to try the company making it:
ISO Arzneimittel GmBH & Co.
01149-7243/10603 Phone
01149-7243-106169 Fax

Take care.

You can get it at any apothecary in Germany without prescription. I think it was around $10 for 20 ml.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Gigi! [Big Grin]

So you haven't tried it while having Lyme symptoms?

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

AliG, I have not had any Lyme symptoms for many years now. I am only here to share with those who let me. I did not know about Umckaloabo, but if I had a Lyme problem, I would certainly try. Especially for the Babesia and Bartonella problems.

Why not contact the manufacturer - they can possibly give you some input. After all, Lyme Disease is as bad there as it is here. If you want me to send them a fax or call, I will. But usually they have someone who speaks English.
They teach it in Kindergarten.

That would probably be the best way. I never have a problem having anything sent from overthere - as long as they take a credit card. Otherwise it gets a little cumbersome. I used to have my Rechtsregulat shipped from there until it became available here. Never a problem.

It might be worth it.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is definitely worth a shot. I have a store near me that just might have it. I'll have to check it out.

If not I will try to get some shipped from the contact you gave me.

Thanks again!
[Smile]
Ali

--------------------

hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alig, thanks for the info and

Gigi, thanks for the phone!

Why do you think this can help babesia? Due to lung symptoms?

I don't have babesia symtpoms, but I am sure I still have babesia hiding somewhere, as I still need antibabesial stuff to be symptomless.

Would you still think this could work for my case babesial infection?

Thanks,
Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Selma,

Gigi, thanks for the phone!

"Why do you think this can help babesia? Due to lung symptoms?

I don't have babesia symtpoms, but I am sure I still have babesia hiding somewhere, as I still need antibabesial stuff to be symptomless.

Would you still think this could work for my case babesial infection?"

Yes, because both Bartonella and Babesia hit the upper territories, eyes and all the way down, sinus, lung, jaws, tonsils, lung, etc. If you test ART test organs, you should be able to tell pretty much where the problems still are, unbless you can really feel them - if there is anything remaining.
(PC Noni works superb there also. And my favorite of all are the Ozonated Rizoles. They hit just about everywhere where Lyme and Company settles.)

Take care.

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) improves phagocytosis, oxidative burst, and intracellular killing of human peripheral blood phagocytes in vitro.

Clinical data show that EPs 7630, an aqueous ethanolic extract from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides, can be used for the treatment of upper respiratory tract infections (URTI).

The biological effects of the preparation have not been fully investigated.

The objective of this study was to examine the impact of EPs 7630 on the activity of human peripheral blood phagocytes (PBP).

A whole blood-based, flow cytometric assay was used to simultaneously assess phagocytosis and oxidative burst.

Calcein-AM stained Candida albicans (DSM 1386) were used as target organisms. Oxidative burst was measured by addition of dihydroethidium (DHE).

Target organisms and whole blood were co-incubated and analyzed after 0, 2, 4, 6, 10, and 30 min.

Intracellular killing of the target organisms was evaluated by determining the number of surviving yeast cells after co-incubation of C. albicans and human whole blood.

EPs 7630 was applied in therapeutically relevant concentrations between 0 and 30 microg/ml.

Compared with controls EPs 7630 increased the number of phagocytosing PBP during the observed time points between 2 and 10 min in a concentration-dependent manner, with a maximum enhancement of 56% at 2 min (p=0.002).

The application of EPs 7630 also led to a significant increase in the number of burst-active PBP for all time points observed beyond 2 min (p less than 0.001).

The maximum augmentation was 120% after application of 30 microg/ml EPs 7630 at 4 min.

Using a microbiological assay, intracellular killing was also enhanced by EPs 7630. This was expressed by a significant reduction in the number of surviving target organisms (p less than 0.001).

The maximum reduction in viable yeast cells (-31%) was observed after co-incubation for 120 min with the highest concentration of EPs 7630 (30 microg/ml).

In conclusion, the positive effects of EPs 7630 on phagocytosis, oxidative burst, and intracellular killing of yeast cells as test organisms are important components of the compound's biological activity.

Our findings constitute a valuable contribution to understanding the clinical effects of EPs 7630.

PMID: 17184983 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This abstract has to do with Fluconazole(Diflucan).
I thought the difference in action was interesting.
I wonder if they'd be complimentary.????

Influence of fluconazole on phagocytosis, oxidative burst and killing activity of human phagocytes. Using a flow cytometric method with whole blood.

Baldauf C, Adam D.
Klinikum Innenstadt der LMU, Abteilung f�r Antimikrobielle Therapie und Infektionsimmunologie im Dr. von Haunerschen Kinderspital, Lindwurmstr. 4, D-80337 M�nchen, Germany.

OBJECTIVES: The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of fluconazole, an antimycotic on phagocytosis, oxidative burst and killing activity of phagocytes in human whole blood with Candida albicans as a test strain using a flow cytometric method.

METHODS: Candida albicans was stained with Calcein AM, a greenfluorescent dye from Bioprobes (Molecular Probes, Inc., P.O. Box 22010, Eugene, OR 97402-0469, USA).

To measure phagocytosis and burst activity diluted monoclonal antibody (CD-13-R-PE, Molecular Probes, Inc., P.O. Box 22010, Eugene, OR 97402-0469, USA) attaching at the surface of granulocytes and monocytes was added as well as Dihydroethidium solution (Molecular Probes, Inc., P.O. Box 22010, Eugene, OR 97402-0469, USA) which changes into red fluorescent Ethidium by oxidation when killing activity takes place.

With Ethidium-Homodimer-1-solution (Molecular Probes, Inc., P.O. Box 22010, Eugene, OR 97402-0469, USA) killing activity can be observed.

Three different tests, one incubating the Candida for 1- 4 hrs in advance, another incubating whole blood for 1 h, and the third incubating neither yeast nor blood, and a combined main test were carried out.

Measurement of phagocytosis, burst- and killing activtiy was performed with a flow cytometric method (Coulter Company, type: Epics-Profile II).

RESULTS: Three different concentrations of fluconazole (5, 20 and 100 microg/ml) show neither decreasing nor increasing influence on phagocytosis and burst activity, irrespective of whether yeasts or phagocytes had been incubated with fluconazole in advance or not.

Also after incubating the drug with phagocytes for 1 h, neither an increase nor a decrease of killing activity was observed.

A significant increase was, however, found with increasing incubation time of yeasts and fluconazole. -

The minimum concentration of fluconazole, just enough to show a significant increase of the killing rate was 1 microg/ml after 3hrs of incubation.

No further significant increase was detected when the concentration exceeded 5 microg/ml.

CONCLUSION: 1 h incubation of human phagocytes with fluconazole does not have any significant influence on cellular activities.

After advanced incubation of Candida a corresponding increase of the intracellular killing rate in phagocytes occurs, probably due to changes of the cytomorphology of yeasts.

PMID: 11076789 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

It's tested well with tuberculosis, strep, h. pylori, yeast....why not a Lyme treatment? Maybe in conjunction with fluconazole?

I just found this today in the health food store & bought it. (Natures Way- Umcka ColdCare)

I couldn't remember why I had wanted it because I had forgotten all about it. [Roll Eyes]

Pretty cheap too! 1 fl oz (30ml) $13.49

Selma, did you try it yet?

[confused]

[ 21. July 2008, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

I found a link with a store finder:

Nature's Way

I found some on a link for "Vitamin Shoppe". They were listed as having stores near me. It's also cheaper there($11.79)than what I paid! [bonk]

[ 29. November 2007, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone trying it pa--lease let us know and do it with some facts like write down everything you feel any changes do this everyday so you know its that plant.
Make sure your not in the swing where your switching out a abx for another.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

I am unfortunately not at a good place to discern what it's doing for Lyme. I'm feeling improvement from ceftriaxone and LLMD is about to switch me back to orals (Cefdinir) after another two week extension.

I also have developed a problem with yeast. I believe it's causing allergic reactions to adhesives. I am on day 2 of fluconazole and taking massive probiotics.

It wouldn't be possible to know if MY Sx improvement is due to ABX, ABX + fluconazole or if the Umcka makes any difference at all. Also, since I just started fighting the yeast & pelargonium sidoides is shown to kill it, how would it be possible to know whether it's yeast or acting on Lyme.

[confused]

[ 03. December 2007, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

I just wanted to state that I am NOT RECOMMENDING that anyone just run out & try this. I plan to check with my LLMD FIRST!!

Consideration: If it does kill off Bb, at what rate is it safe to kill it? Die-off can cause problems too by overtaxing the system. Your individual degree of infection would probably dictate different dosages. You don't want to kill yourself along with the Bb or do any irreversible damage!

Caution is ALWAYS a good idea with ANYTHING that hasn't been tried for the purpose you would be using it!!!!

Isn't that right, Cave? [Big Grin]

[ 03. December 2007, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

****WARNING*****possible interactions/allergic reactions******

Allergic reactions to medicines derived from Pelargonium species.

de Boer HJ, Hagemann U, Bate J, Meyboom RH.
Department of Systematic Botany, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden. [email protected]

Pelargonium (Pelargonium sidoides DC and P. reniforme Curtis) is reported to have immune modulating properties and antibacterial activity, and Pelargonium extracts have been used for the treatment of respiratory tract and gastrointestinal infections.

Introduced in the early 1980s in Germany, Umckaloabo (ISO Arzneimittel), an ethanolic extract of the roots of P. sidoides and P. reniforme, was the first Pelargonium-derived product to be commonly used in a country in the EU.

According to the Umckaloabo product information, this extract has no known adverse effects.

However, there is a theoretical risk of interactions with anticoagulants such as warfarin, and antiplatelet drugs, such as aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid).

To date, the Uppsala Monitoring Centre has, through the WHO international pharmacovigilance programme, received 34 case reports of allergic reactions suspected to be associated with the use of Pelargonium extract, all originating from Germany.

In a number of these reports, the description and timing of the event was indicative of an acute Coombs and Gell Type I hypersensitivity reaction; two of these patients needed treatment for circulatory failure.

So far, the experience of such reactions is limited to Germany.

Since Pelargonium-containing herbal products have recently been approved in a number of other countries, the possibility of the occurrence of allergic reactions has become of more general interest and further information regarding these products is needed.

PMID: 17696580 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[ 03. December 2007, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

More abstracts:

Conrad A, Kolodziej H, Schulz V.
[Pelargonium sidoides-extract (EPs 7630): registration confirms efficacy and safety]
Wien Med Wochenschr.

2007;157(13-14):331-6. Review. German.
PMID: 17704982 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Wittschier N, Lengsfeld C, Vorthems S, Stratmann U, Ernst JF, Verspohl EJ, Hensel A.
Large molecules as anti-adhesive compounds against pathogens.
J Pharm Pharmacol.
2007 Jun;59(6):777-86.
PMID: 17637170 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Wittschier N, Faller G, Hensel A.
An extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) inhibits in situ adhesion of Helicobacter pylori to human stomach.
Phytomedicine.
2007 Apr;14(4):285-8. Epub 2007 Mar 9.
PMID: 17350240 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Sch�tz K, N�ldner M.
Mass spectroscopic characterisation of oligomeric proanthocyanidins derived from an extract of Pelargonium sidoides roots (EPs 7630) and pharmacological screening in CNS models.
Phytomedicine.
2007;14 Suppl 6:32-9. Epub 2007 Jan 10.
PMID: 17218089 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Koch E, Biber A.
Treatment of rats with the Pelargonium sidoides extract EPs 7630 has no effect on blood coagulation parameters or on the pharmacokinetics of warfarin.
Phytomedicine.
2007;14 Suppl 6:40-5. Epub 2006 Dec 22.
PMID: 17188479 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Beil W, Kilian P.
EPs 7630, an extract from Pelargonium sidoides roots inhibits adherence of Helicobacter pylori to gastric epithelial cells.
Phytomedicine.
2007;14 Suppl 6:5-8. Epub 2006 Dec 22.
PMID: 17188478 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Trun W, Kiderlen AF, Kolodziej H.
Nitric oxide synthase and cytokines gene expression analyses in Leishmania-infected RAW 264.7 cells treated with an extract of Pelargonium sidoides (Eps 7630).
Phytomedicine.
2006 Sep;13(8):570-5. Epub 2005 Nov 2.
PMID: 16920512 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Kolodziej H, Burmeister A, Trun W, Radtke OA, Kiderlen AF, Ito H, Hatano T, Yoshida T, Foo LY.
Tannins and related compounds induce nitric oxide synthase and cytokines gene expressions in Leishmania major-infected macrophage-like RAW 264.7 cells.
Bioorg Med Chem.
2005 Dec 1;13(23):6470-6. Epub 2005 Sep 6.
PMID: 16143535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Seidel V, Taylor PW.
In vitro activity of extracts and constituents of Pelagonium against rapidly growing mycobacteria.
Int J Antimicrob Agents.
2004 Jun;23(6):613-9.
PMID: 15194133 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Kayser O, Kolodziej H, Kiderlen AF.
Immunomodulatory principles of Pelargonium sidoides.
Phytother Res.
2001 Mar;15(2):122-6.
PMID: 11268110 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

[ 25. January 2008, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Darn it Cave!

I wanted YOU to do the work FOR me! [Razz] [lol]

Is it no fun for you because I LIKE your help? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it for $7+ at Vitacost. www.vitacost.com
Type in "umcka" in the search there.

[woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

I don't want to be the party-pooper here but don't hang your hopes too high. This stuff is known over here since many years and if it would work against Lyme someone would have noticed it already.

Personally, I never took it. But my friend, her husband and her kid with Lyme, Bartonella and other coinfections in various combinations tried it for around 6 weeks. No reaction at all!

I googled around for success reports for other infections. It seems that for bronchitis there might be a certain benefit. But there are more people saying that it didn't help them than people saying it helped.

I don't say you shouldn't try it as it's cheap - just don't expect any miracles.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Gabrielle,

Thanks for the perspective!

What about in combination with ABX and/or fluconazole?

Do you know if they were taking the standard dosages?

[confused]

I would think people using it as a cold remedy, for a short period of time, may not have seen an improvement in Lyme Sx. Could that be possible?

Maybe dosage needed would be higher or duration longer....take ABX Tx of Lyme for example.

Perhaps the co-infections could have been a factor? Perhaps it has no anti-protozoal effect?

[ 29. November 2007, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what dosage they took - guess they followed the instructions on the label.

I'm curious what your experience will be. Hope you keep us posted.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

I have asked for the opinion of my LLMD and I'd like to see if he pooh-poohs my notions or offers any input, before I do anything.

Once I get the green light to try this, I'll keep everyone posted! [Smile] (assuming I will)

If I'm given a reason not to, I'll let you know that too. [Roll Eyes]

[ 30. November 2007, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Because of my warning above, I looked up Type I Gell & Coombs Hypersensitivity reaction:

TYPES OF HYPERSENSITIVITY
Gell and Coombs described four types of hypersensitivity reactions:

Type I: Mast cells bind IgE via their Fc(ε) receptors. If subsequently an allergen, by binding to two IgE molecules cross-links the Fc(ε) receptors, the mast cell degranulates and releases mediators that produce allergic reactions. Hypersensitivity usually appears on repeated contact with the allergen.

Examples of type I allergic reactions

Anaphylaxis
Atopic asthma
Atopic eczema
Drug allergy
Hay fever

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Exerpt from: www.drugs.com/npp/pelargonium.html

Chemistry

EPs 7630 is an ethanolic extract of the roots of P. sidoides , which is marketed by ISO-Arzneimittel under license from Schwabe.

The coumarin, 5,6-dimethoxy,7-hydroxy-coumarin, and several related ethers, glycosides, and sulfates have been isolated from both species of Pelargonium . 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

Many of these coumarins also are found in the roots of other South African Pelargonium species. 3

A series of galloyl C-glycosidic flavones, along with related nongalloyl flavones, have been isolated from P. reniforme aerial parts. 6

P. sidoides contains similar flavonoids and phenolics. 7

Other reported constituents include unsaturated fatty acids 8 and tannins. 9

Pelargonium Uses and Pharmacology

The extracts of both Pelargonium species have modest direct antibacterial activity, with isolated coumarins and phenolics having minimum inhibitory concentration values from 200 to 1,000 mcg/mL in agar dilution assays versus common test bacteria. 10

Unsaturated fatty acids, especially linoleic acid, from the roots had antimycobacterial activity at 2 mcg/mL in vitro. 8

Immune stimulation of the host is a potential avenue for antimycobacterial activity.

Immune stimulation by P. sidoides extracts, coumarins, and phenolics has been documented in a variety of functional assays, 11 , 12 including enhancement of interferon-beta synthesis and activation of natural killer cell activity. 13

Tannins from the plant induced nitric oxide synthase and cytokine gene expression in a macrophage-like cell line. 9

Ciliary beat frequency increased in a model system after exposure to EPs 7630 extract. 14

The effect was reversible and may be relevant to diverse lung and airway infections because the cilia are important in removal of bacteria and foreign particulates.

Clinical trials of EPs 7630 in acute bronchitis have been conducted in children and adults. A randomized, placebo-controlled study of 468 adults found that the extract improved bronchitis severity score (BSS) compared with placebo after 7 days and reduced the duration of illness and inability to work. 15

A second independent outpatient study (N = 124) found similar benefits in BSS and rates of recovery from specific symptoms. 16

Dosage

EPs 7630 is an 11% aqueous ethanolic extract, in which 100 g of finished product corresponds to 8 g of extracted plant material.

One clinical trial administered 4.5 mL 3 times daily for a week, corresponding to a total daily dose of plant material of approximately 1.2 g. 15 A second trial used the same dose and schedule. 16

Bibliography
1. Lewu FB, Grierson DS, Afolayan AJ. Clonal propagation of Pelargonium sidoides : a threatened medicinal plant of South Africa. Afr J Biotechnol . 2006;5:123-125.
2. Wagner H, Bladt S. Neue cumarine aus Pelargonium reniforme Curt.-wurzel. Tetrahedron Lett . 1974;43:3807-3808.
3. Wagner H, Bladt S. Cumarine aus S�dafrikanischen Pelargonium -arten. Phytochem . 1975;14:2061-2064.
4. Kayser O, Kolodziej H. Highly oxygenated coumarins from Pelargonium sidoides . Phytochemistry . 1995;39:1181-1185.
5. Kolodziej H, Kayser O, Tan N. Novel coumarin sulfates from Pelargonium sidoides : isolation, structure and synthetic approach. Proc Phytochem Soc Eur . 2002;47:59-64.
6. Latt� KP, Ferreira D, Venkatraman MS, Kolodziej H. O -galloyl- C -glycosylflavones from Pelargonium reniforme . Phytochemistry . 2002;59:419-424.
7. Goedecke T, Kaloga M, Kolodziej H. A phenol glucoside, uncommon coumarins and flavonoids from Pelargonium sidoides DC. Z Naturforsch B . 2005;60:677-682.
8. Seidel V, Taylor PW. In vitro activity of extracts and constituents of Pelargonium against rapidly growing mycobacteria. Int J Antimicrob Agents . 2004;23:613-619.
9. Kolodziej H, Burmeister A, Trun W, et al. Tannins and related compounds induce nitric oxide synthase and cytokines gene expressions in Leishmania major -infected macrophage-like RAW 264.7 cells. Bioorg Med Chem . 2005;13:6470-6476.
10. Kayser O, Kolodziej H. Antibacterial activity of extracts and constituents of Pelargonium sidoides and Pelargonium reniforme . Planta Med . 1997;63:508-510.
11. Kolodziej H, Kayser O, Radtke OA, Kiderlen AF, Koch E. Pharmacological profile of extracts of Pelargonium sidoides and their constituents. Phytomedicine . 2003;(10 suppl 4):18-24.
12. Kayser O, Kolodziej H, Kiderlen AF. Immunomodulatory principles of Pelargonium sidoides . Phytother Res . 2001;15:122-126.
13. Koch E, Lanzend�rfer-Goossens, Wohn C. Stimulation of interferon (IFN)-β-synthesis and natural killer (NK) cell activity by an aqueous-ethanolic extract from roots of Pelargonium sidoides (Umckaloabo). Naunyn-Schmiederberg's Arch Pharmacol . 2002;365(suppl 1):R75.
14. Neugebauer P, Mickenhagen A, Siefer O, Walger M. A new approach to pharmacological effects on ciliary beat frequency in cell cultures--exemplary measurements under Pelargonium sidoides extract ( EPs 7630 ). Phytomedicine . 2005;12:46-51.
15. Matthys H, Eisebitt R, Seith B, Heger M. Efficacy and safety of an extract of Pelargonium sidoides ( EPs 7630 ) in adults with acute bronchitis. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Phytomedicine . 2003;(10 suppl 4):7-17.
16. Chuchalin AG, Berman B, Lehmacher W. Treatment of acute bronchitis in adults with a Pelargonium sidoides preparation ( EPs 7630 ): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Explore . 2005;1:437-445.

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

You know, I just realized that I had put a call in to my "primary" LLMD about this & I don't think I ever got a response.

I should print these studies out & give it to the LLIDMD that I'm actively working with at present. Perhaps he might find it interesting. ??? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a wicked bad nasty cold virus or flu last month -- my sinuses were like cement, I had a fever for more than 2 days, and could not sleep, along with the usual dripping nose and feeling awful.

Just wanted to let you know that I think the Umcka stuff helped! I got it at the supermarket the first day of the cold/flu/virus thing, and I took it as the instructions directed, I think 3 times/day. Also ate only soup (chicken of course), lots of garlic, some Vit C and zinc.

I made a great, fast recovery once the fever broke. Normally with a respiratory virus that bad, I would have been coughing and sick for weeks, as I have in the past. So if I ever have a miserable cold again, I am definitely going for the Umcka.

Thanks for posting this, I never would have tried it otherwise!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Vermont! [kiss]

Thank you so much for posting that.
It makes me feel so good to think that it helped you!! [group hug] [Big Grin]

[hi]
Ali

[ 21. February 2008, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Some newer studies:

Planta Med 2007; 73
DOI: 10.1055/s-2007-986777

Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs� 7630) displays anti-infective properties by enhanced phagocytosis and differential modulation of host - bacteria interactions

A Conrad1, I Engels1, U Frank1
1 Institute of Environmental Medicine and Hospital Epidemiology, University Medical Center Freiburg, Breisacher Str. 115, 79106 Freiburg, Germany

Background: EPs� 7630 is an extract derived from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides DC. Clinical trials have shown that the preparation is effective in the treatment of respiratory tract infections such as acute bronchitis.

Objectives: In-vitro study to assess the impact of EPs� 7630 on human peripheral blood phagocytes (PBP) and on the host-bacteria interaction using A-Streptococci (GAS) as a model.

Methods: A whole-blood based flow cytometric assay was used to analyze phagocytosis of C. albicans and oxidative burst. Intracellular killing of yeast cells was assessed by a microbiological assay.

Adhesion of GAS on human HEp-2 and buccal epithelial cells (BEC) was determined by flow cytometry and GAS invasion of HEp-2 cells was analyzed by a penicillin/gentamicin-protection assay. EPs� 7630 was applied at concentrations between 0 and 30�g/ml.

Results: EPs� 7630 increased the number of phagocytosing PBP with a maximum effect of 56% at 2min and led to an increase of burst-active PBP (up to 120% at 4min). Intracellular killing was enhanced, as demonstrated by a 31% reduction in the number of surviving target organisms after 120min.

Interestingly, EPs� 7630 displayed a differential effect with respect to adhesion of GAS to HEp-2 cells and BEC. While adhesion to HEp-2 cells was inhibited with a maximum effect of 46% at 120min, adhesion to BEC was increased up to 7-fold. EPs� 7630-pre-treatment of HEp-2 cells or GAS revealed that the preparation targets GAS rather than epithelial cells.

In addition, EPs� 7630 significantly reduced GAS invasion of HEp-2 cells at 60, 120, and 180min. Conclusions: The essential anti-infective properties of EPs� 7630 can explain its clinical effect. Thus, the enhanced function of phagocytes represents an important effector mechanism in order to repel pathogens.

Furthermore, modulated host-bacteria interaction may prevent from bacterial super- and recurrent infections. Reduced bacterial adhesion to intact epithelia (HEp-2) protects from bacterial colonization and infection/super-infection whereas enhanced attachment of bacteria to decaying BEC may inactivate pathogens by swallowing.

Thus the inhibition of GAS invasion of epithelial cells prevents from microorganisms that evade host defences and antibiotic treatment.

Planta Med. 2008 Jan 17 [Epub ahead of print]

Aqueous Ethanolic Extract of the Roots of Pelargonium sidoides - New Scientific Evidence for an Old Anti-Infective Phytopharmaceutical.

Kolodziej H.

Institute of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Biology, Freie Universit�t Berlin, Berlin, Germany.

Among the PELARGONIUM-based herbal remedies that are widely used in traditional medical systems in the Southern African region is a highly valued root medicine (commonly termed UMCKALOABO) of initially unknown botanical origin for the treatment of infectious conditions of the respiratory tract including tuberculosis.

Nowadays, a modern aqueous-ethanolic formulation of the roots of PELARGONIUM SIDOIDES (EPs(R) 7630), developed from this traditional medicine, is successfully employed for the treatment of bronchitis.

The article summarizes the fascinating story of this herbal medicine including its way to Europe, identification of the botanical origin, and provides background information of the many profound anti-infectious actions and clinical studies.

In spite of considerable effort, the underlying chemical principle is still not clear.

PMID: 18203051 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Explore (NY). 2007 Nov-Dec;3(6):573-84.

Efficacy of a pelargonium sidoides preparation in patients with the common cold: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.

Lizogub VG, Riley DS, Heger M.

Faculty Therapy No. 2, National Medical University, Kiev, Ukraine.

BACKGROUND:
The common cold is a viral infection with symptoms such as sneezing, sore throat, and running nose. It is one of the most prevalent illnesses in the world, and although commonly caused by rhinoviruses, antibiotics are often prescribed unnecessarily.

Therefore, it is of utmost importance to evaluate alternative treatments such as herbal medications, whose efficacy and safety is proven by pharmacological and clinical studies.

OBJECTIVE:
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the efficacy of a liquid herbal drug preparation from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides compared with placebo in adult patients with the common cold.

DESIGN: The study was designed as a multicenter, prospective, randomized, double blind, parallel group, placebo-controlled phase III clinical trial with an adaptive group-sequential design.

SETTING:
The study took place in eight outpatient departments affiliated with hospitals.

PATIENTS:
One hundred three male and female adult patients with at least two major and one minor or with one major and three minor cold symptoms (maximum symptom score of 40 points), present for 24 to 48 hours, and who gave provision of informed consent were randomized to receive either 30 drops (1.5 mL) of the liquid herbal drug preparation EPs or placebo three times a day.

INTERVENTION:
Patients received randomized treatment for a maximum period of 10 days.

MEASUREMENTS:
The primary outcome criterion was the sum of symptom intensity differences (SSID) of the cold intensity score (CIS) from day one to day five.

The CIS consists of the following 10 cold symptoms:
nasal drainage, sore throat, nasal congestion, sneezing, scratchy throat, hoarseness, cough, headache, muscle aches, and fever.

RESULTS:
From baseline to day five, the mean SSID improved by 14.6 +/- 5.3 points in the EPs group compared with 7.6 +/- 7.5 points in the placebo group. This difference was statistically significant (P less than .0001).

The mean CIS decreased by 10.4 +/- 3.0 points and 5.6 +/- 4.3 points in EPs and placebo-treated patients, respectively.

After 10 days, 78.8% versus 31.4% in the EPs versus placebo group were clinically cured (CIS equals zero points or complete resolution of all but a maximum of one cold symptom; P less than .0001).

The mean duration of inability to work was significantly lower in the EPs treatment group (6.9 +/- 1.8 days) than in the placebo group (8.2 +/- 2.1 days; P = .0003).

Treatment outcome (rates of complete recovery or major improvement from disease [integrative medicine outcomes scale]) was assessed better in the EPs treatment group than in the placebo group by both the investigator and the patient on day five (P less than .0001).

Adverse events occurred in three of 103 patients (2.9%), with two of 52 (3.8%) and one of 51 (2.0%) patients in the EPs and placebo group, respectively. All adverse events were assessed as nonserious.

At the end of treatment, all patients (100%) in the active treatment group judged the subjective tolerability of EPs as good or very good.

CONCLUSIONS:
EPs represents an effective treatment of the common cold. It significantly reduces the severity of symptoms and shortens the duration of the common cold compared with placebo.
The herbal drug is well tolerated.

PMID: 18005909 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Man E. Fewords

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess this means I should go find mine and start taking it, huh??

At least I DO know where it is!! [I'm still moving in, slowly but surely.]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

FWIW-

I was afraid to take this with the Levaquin because of the coumarins. After a week of not being able to stay out of bed, I decided I didn't care if it killed me and went for it. (Again, not recommending that others duplicate my stupidity, just telling on myself)

I took 5 doses yesterday & am feeling somewhat better today. Coincidence? Maybe [Roll Eyes] Coincidence or not, I don't care, I'm feeling a bit better & I'm happy about it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well now, a happy camper beats one down in the dumps!

JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

some recent studies:

Th�le C, Kiderlen A, Kolodziej H.
Abstract
Anti-infective mode of action of EPs 7630 at the molecular level.
Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):675-81.
PMID: 18584813 [PubMed - in process]

van Wyk BE.
Abstract
A broad review of commercially important southern African medicinal plants.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2008 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 18577439 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Matthys H, Funk P.
Abstract
EPs 7630 improves acute bronchitic symptoms and shortens time to remission.
Results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial.
Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):686-92. Epub 2008 Apr 30.
PMID: 18449849 [PubMed - in process]

Schoetz K, Erdelmeier C, Germer S, Hauer H.
Abstract
A detailed view on the constituents of EPs 7630.
Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):667-74. Epub 2008 Apr 30.
PMID: 18449848 [PubMed - in process]

Conrad A, Frank U.
Abstract
Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) displays anti-infective properties by enhanced phagocytosis and differential modulation of host-bacteria interactions.
Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):682-5. Epub 2008 Feb 1.
PMID: 18240106 [PubMed - in process]

EPs 7630 is an aqueous-ethanolic extract of the roots of PELARGONIUM SIDOIDES that displays well-documented benefits in the treatment of upper respiratory tract infections (URTI).

IN VITRO and animal investigations have revealed various anti-infective properties of EPs 7630.

The present review sums up recently published IN VITRO investigations that have shown positive effects on the activity of human peripheral blood phagocytes (PBP) and differential modulation of the interactions between group A streptococci and the host's epithelial barrier.

Agbabiaka TB, Guo R, Ernst E.
Abstract
Pelargonium sidoides for acute bronchitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Phytomedicine. 2008 May;15(5):378-85. Epub 2008 Jan 28. Review.
PMID: 18222667 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Kolodziej H.
Abstract
Aqueous ethanolic extract of the roots of Pelargonium sidoides--new scientific evidence for an old anti-infective phytopharmaceutical.
Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):661-6. Epub 2008 Jan 17.
PMID: 18203051 [PubMed - in process]

[ 05. September 2008, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Yet another use:

Efficacy of an aqueous Pelargonium sidoides extract against herpesvirus

P. Schnitzlera, S. Schneidera, F.C. Stintzingb, R. Carleb and J. Reichlingc

Abstract

The compounds of an aqueous root extract of the African medicinal plant Pelargonium sidoides were analysed by LC-MS spectroscopy and the antiviral effect of this extract against herpes simplex virus was examined in cell culture.

Besides predominant coumarins, simple phenolic structures as well as flavonoid and catechin derivatives were identified as major constituents in the Pelargonium extract.

The inhibitory activity of this extract against herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) was tested in vitro on RC-37 cells using a plaque reduction assay and exhibited high antiviral activity against both herpesviruses in viral suspension tests.

The 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50) of the aqueous Pelargonium sidoides extract for herpes simplex virus plaque formation was determined at 0.00006% and 0.000005% for HSV-1 and HSV-2, respectively.

At maximum noncytotoxic concentrations of the extract, plaque formation was significantly reduced by more than 99.9% for HSV-1 and HSV-2 and a clear concentration-dependent antiviral activity against HSV could be demonstrated for this extract.

In order to determine the mode of antiviral action, the extract was added at different times to the cells or viruses during the infection cycle.

Both herpesviruses were significantly inhibited when pretreated with the plant extract or when the extract was added during the adsorption phase, whereas acyclovir demonstrated antiviral activity only intracellularly during replication of HSV.

These results indicate that P. sidoides extract affected the virus before penetration into the host cell and reveals a different mode of action when compared to the classical drug acyclovir.

Hence this extract is capable of exerting an antiviral effect on herpes simplex virus and might be suitable for topical therapeutic use as antiviral drug both in labial and genital herpes infection.

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Anti-infective mode of action of EPs 7630 at the molecular level.

Institute of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Biology, Freie Universit�t Berlin, Berlin, Germany.

Clinical trials have shown that EPs 7630, an aqueous ethanolic extract from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides, is an efficacious treatment for respiratory tract infections.

A large body of in vitro studies has provided evidence for an anti-infective principle associated with activation of the non-specific immune system.

However, the mode of action at the cellular and molecular level is still insufficiently defined.

This study, therefore, aimed to provide further insight into the underlying principles of the therapeutic benefits of EPs 7630 under these conditions.

Using BMM phi experimentally infected with intracellular bacteria, Listeria monocytogenes, incubation with EPs 7630 (1 - 30 micro increased release of NO, production of membrane bound/intra- and extracellular IL-1, IL-12 and TNF-alpha and changed the expressions of the surface markers CD40 and CD119 at an early time point post infection (6 h) in a concentration-dependent manner in most experiments.

Compared with non-infected cells, the effects were more pronounced.

LPS + IFN-gamma served as positive and untreated cells as negative controls.

Analyses were carried out at single cell levels using flow cytometry, while ELISA was additionally utilized for monitoring secreted cytokines.

Although the current data provide additional valuable information for understanding the anti-infective effects of EPs 7630, the triggered signalling pathways associated with host immune responses appear even more complex than anticipated and are evidently not shared by 'classical' immunomodulators to this extent.

PMID: 18584813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

I'm posting this listing for my own reference.

I know that some of the listed studies are newer. I want to see if I may have missed any of the others.

I don't have time to do this right now so hopefully I will come back to it when I can.

1: Treatment of acute rhinosinusitis with the preparation from Pelargonium sidoides EPs 7630: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Bachert C, Schapowal A, Funk P, Kieser M.

Rhinology. 2009 Mar;47(1):51-8.

PMID: 19382496 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Components derived from Pelargonium stimulate macrophage killing of Mycobacterium species.

Kim CE, Griffiths WJ, Taylor PW.

J Appl Microbiol. 2009 Apr;106(4):1184-93. Epub 2009 Jan 21.

PMID: 19191950 [PubMed - in process]

3: A historical, scientific and commercial perspective on the medicinal use of Pelargonium sidoides (Geraniaceae).

Brendler T, van Wyk BE.

J Ethnopharmacol. 2008 Oct 28;119(3):420-33. Epub 2008 Aug 3. Review.

PMID: 18725280 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Efficacy of an aqueous Pelargonium sidoides extract against herpesvirus.

Schnitzler P, Schneider S, Stintzing FC, Carle R, Reichling J.

Phytomedicine. 2008 Dec;15(12):1108-16. Epub 2008 Aug 8.

PMID: 18691858 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Pelargonium sidoides extract for acute respiratory tract infections.

Timmer A, G�nther J, R�cker G, Motschall E, Antes G, Kern WV.

Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Jul 16;(3):CD006323. Review.

PMID: 18646148 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Anti-infective mode of action of EPs 7630 at the molecular level.

PMID: 18584813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: A broad review of commercially important southern African medicinal plants.

van Wyk BE.

J Ethnopharmacol. 2008 Oct 28;119(3):342-55. Epub 2008 Jun 3. Review.

PMID: 18577439 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: EPs 7630 improves acute bronchitic symptoms and shortens time to remission. Results of a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial.

Matthys H, Funk P.

Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):686-92. Epub 2008 Apr 30.

PMID: 18449849 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: A detailed view on the constituents of EPs 7630.

Schoetz K, Erdelmeier C, Germer S, Hauer H.

Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):667-74. Epub 2008 Apr 30.

PMID: 18449848 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10: Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) displays anti-infective properties by enhanced phagocytosis and differential modulation of host-bacteria interactions.

Conrad A, Frank U.

Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):682-5. Epub 2008 Feb 1. Review.

PMID: 18240106 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11: Pelargonium sidoides for acute bronchitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Agbabiaka TB, Guo R, Ernst E.

Phytomedicine. 2008 May;15(5):378-85. Epub 2008 Jan 28. Review.

PMID: 18222667 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12: Aqueous ethanolic extract of the roots of Pelargonium sidoides--new scientific evidence for an old anti-infective phytopharmaceutical.

Kolodziej H.

Planta Med. 2008 May;74(6):661-6. Epub 2008 Jan 17. Review.

PMID: 18203051 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13: Efficacy of a pelargonium sidoides preparation in patients with the common cold: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.

Lizogub VG, Riley DS, Heger M.

Explore (NY). 2007 Nov-Dec;3(6):573-84.

PMID: 18005909 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14: [Pelargonium sidoides-extract (EPs 7630): registration confirms efficacy and safety]

Conrad A, Kolodziej H, Schulz V.

Wien Med Wochenschr. 2007;157(13-14):331-6. Review. German.

PMID: 17704982 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

15: Allergic reactions to medicines derived from Pelargonium species.

de Boer HJ, Hagemann U, Bate J, Meyboom RH.

Drug Saf. 2007;30(8):677-80.

PMID: 17696580 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

16: Large molecules as anti-adhesive compounds against pathogens.

Wittschier N, Lengsfeld C, Vorthems S, Stratmann U, Ernst JF, Verspohl EJ, Hensel A.

J Pharm Pharmacol. 2007 Jun;59(6):777-86.

PMID: 17637170 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17: An extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) inhibits in situ adhesion of Helicobacter pylori to human stomach.

Wittschier N, Faller G, Hensel A.

Phytomedicine. 2007 Apr;14(4):285-8. Epub 2007 Mar 9.

PMID: 17350240 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

18: Treatment of acute bronchitis with a liquid herbal drug preparation from Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre study.

Matthys H, Heger M.

Curr Med Res Opin. 2007 Feb;23(2):323-31.

PMID: 17288687 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

19: Liquid herbal drug preparation from the root of Pelargonium sidoides is effective against acute bronchitis: results of a double-blind study with 124 patients.

Schulz V.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:74-5. Epub 2007 Feb 2. No abstract available.

PMID: 17276048 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

20: Mass spectroscopic characterisation of oligomeric proanthocyanidins derived from an extract of Pelargonium sidoides roots (EPs 7630) and pharmacological screening in CNS models.

Sch�tz K, N�ldner M.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:32-9. Epub 2007 Jan 10.

PMID: 17218089 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

21: In vitro evaluation of antibacterial and immunomodulatory activities of Pelargonium reniforme, Pelargonium sidoides and the related herbal drug preparation EPs 7630.

Kolodziej H, Kiderlen AF.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:18-26. Epub 2006 Dec 22. Review.

PMID: 17188480 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

22: Treatment of rats with the Pelargonium sidoides extract EPs 7630 has no effect on blood coagulation parameters or on the pharmacokinetics of warfarin.

Koch E, Biber A.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:40-5. Epub 2006 Dec 22.

PMID: 17188479 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

23: EPs 7630, an extract from Pelargonium sidoides roots inhibits adherence of Helicobacter pylori to gastric epithelial cells.

Beil W, Kilian P.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:5-8. Epub 2006 Dec 22.

PMID: 17188478 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

24: Fascinating metabolic pools of Pelargonium sidoides and Pelargonium reniforme, traditional and phytomedicinal sources of the herbal medicine Umckaloabo.

Kolodziej H.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:9-17. Epub 2006 Dec 22. Review.

PMID: 17188477 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

25: EPs 7630-solution--an effective therapeutic option in acute and exacerbating bronchitis.

Matthys H, Heger M.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:65-8. Epub 2006 Dec 20.

PMID: 17184984 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

26: Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) improves phagocytosis, oxidative burst, and intracellular killing of human peripheral blood phagocytes in vitro.

Conrad A, Hansmann C, Engels I, Daschner FD, Frank U.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:46-51. Epub 2006 Dec 20.

PMID: 17184983 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

27: Pelargonium sidoides preparation (EPs 7630) in the treatment of acute bronchitis in adults and children.

Matthys H, Kamin W, Funk P, Heger M.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:69-73. Epub 2006 Dec 20.

PMID: 17184981 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

28: Inhibition of lipopolysaccharid-induced sickness behavior by a dry extract from the roots of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) in mice.

N�ldner M, Sch�tz K.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:27-31. Epub 2006 Dec 19.

PMID: 17182237 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

29: Extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) inhibits the interactions of group A-streptococci and host epithelia in vitro.

Conrad A, Jung I, Tioua D, Lallemand C, Carrapatoso F, Engels I, Daschner FD, Frank U.

Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:52-9. Epub 2006 Dec 19.

PMID: 17182236 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

30: Nitric oxide synthase and cytokines gene expression analyses in Leishmania-infected RAW 264.7 cells treated with an extract of Pelargonium sidoides (Eps 7630).

Trun W, Kiderlen AF, Kolodziej H.

Phytomedicine. 2006 Sep;13(8):570-5. Epub 2005 Nov 2.

PMID: 16920512 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

31: Treatment of acute bronchitis in adults with a pelargonium sidoides preparation (EPs 7630): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Chuchalin AG, Berman B, Lehmacher W.

Explore (NY). 2005 Nov;1(6):437-45.

PMID: 16781588 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

32: Tannins and related compounds induce nitric oxide synthase and cytokines gene expressions in Leishmania major-infected macrophage-like RAW 264.7 cells.

Kolodziej H, Burmeister A, Trun W, Radtke OA, Kiderlen AF, Ito H, Hatano T, Yoshida T, Foo LY.

Bioorg Med Chem. 2005 Dec 1;13(23):6470-6. Epub 2005 Sep 6.

PMID: 16143535 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

33: A new approach to pharmacological effects on ciliary beat frequency in cell cultures--exemplary measurements under Pelargonium sidoides extract (EPs 7630).

Neugebauer P, Mickenhagen A, Siefer O, Walger M.

Phytomedicine. 2005 Jan;12(1-2):46-51.

PMID: 15693707 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

34: In vitro activity of extracts and constituents of Pelagonium against rapidly growing mycobacteria.

Seidel V, Taylor PW.

Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2004 Jun;23(6):613-9.

PMID: 15194133 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

35: Efficacy of extract of Pelargonium sidoides in children with acute non-group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus tonsillopharyngitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Bereznoy VV, Riley DS, Wassmer G, Heger M.

Altern Ther Health Med. 2003 Sep-Oct;9(5):68-79.

PMID: 14526713 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

36: Pharmacological profile of extracts of Pelargonium sidoides and their constituents.

Kolodziej H, Kayser O, Radtke OA, Kiderlen AF, Koch E.

Phytomedicine. 2003;10 Suppl 4:18-24.

PMID: 12807338 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

37: Efficacy and safety of an extract of Pelargonium sidoides (EPs 7630) in adults with acute bronchitis. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Matthys H, Eisebitt R, Seith B, Heger M.

Phytomedicine. 2003;10 Suppl 4:7-17.

PMID: 12807337 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

38: Immunomodulatory principles of Pelargonium sidoides.

Kayser O, Kolodziej H, Kiderlen AF.

Phytother Res. 2001 Mar;15(2):122-6.

PMID: 11268110 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

39: Antibacterial activity of extracts and constituents of Pelargonium sidoides and Pelargonium reniforme.

Kayser O, Kolodziej H.

Planta Med. 1997 Dec;63(6):508-10.

PMID: 9434601 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

I wonder if this would help with H1N1.

I would think it could be worth a shot.

Has anyone tried it for that yet? [confused]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Rhinology. 2009 Mar;47(1):51-8.

Treatment of acute rhinosinusitis with the preparation from Pelargonium sidoides EPs 7630: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.

Bachert C, Schapowal A, Funk P, Kieser M.

University of Ghent, ENT Department, Ghent, Belgium. [email protected]

PMID: 19382496

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement