LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how can my vet test my dog with a reliable test but not a human?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how can my vet test my dog with a reliable test but not a human?
lymequestion
Member # 12710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymequestion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused. The vet has this little test that looks like a pregnancy test. My dog was tested with a few drops of blood and in 2 minutes, we saw a plus sign - it is very reliable.

They test ticks and this is reliable.

WHY can't they test a human and it be reliable?

Posts: 15 | From PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweetpea's Mom
Member # 12817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpea's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymequestion:
I am confused. The vet has this little test that looks like a pregnancy test. My dog was tested with a few drops of blood and in 2 minutes, we saw a plus sign - it is very reliable.

They test ticks and this is reliable.

WHY can't they test a human and it be reliable?

It is so weird but true. After I told my dog's vet all about the ordeal I went through, he shook his head and said I should have just given him my blood sample and he would be able to tell in minutes. He does not understand all the poor testing problems either. (Also he knows all about the late stage and chronic lyme controversy.)He found Sweetpea's lyme quickly and she was treated properly. Dogs do seem to get better treatment than humans.
[loco] [loco] [loco] [confused]

Posts: 24 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a veterinary technician, I understand your frustration.

There is much more awareness in Veterinary Medicine about Lyme disease and dogs. If a liping dog with swollen joints and a fever comes in I would already have the test ready to use beore the doctor said a word..

There is some controversey in animal medicine too, but nothing like in human medicine.

Veterinarians are amazing and they usually have open minds unlike a lot of MD's.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know why it is that dogs seem more resistant to lyme than humans are and they get ticks on them like clockwork?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume that it was the IDEXX Snap-3D Lyme test for dogs that was used?

Merrygirl, did you ever try to test yourself using a canine Lyme blood test? Maybe you should...... just to see what you get. [Big Grin]

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes that is the test we use, I will try it when and if I can get back to work, But don't tell. LOL.

I am not sure if k9 antibodies are different from humans, I will have to check...

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Here is an interesting read. Honestly I am herxing and cant think straight.

I dont know if the snap test would react to human antibodies...

http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/laboratory/c6/c6whitepaper.pdf

buckfever
Member # 9876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckfever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a dog owner and amatuer trainer in field trials for retrievers . As such I am around many dogs that have had lyme .

The snap IIII test is the newest and probably the best out there right now .

Both of my black labs have had lyme , and were treated succesfully , but like humans ,28 days is not 100% succesful all the time .

I know of a few dogs that have it chronically and they are checked regularly with blood tests . They keep on eye on liver and kidney as this is where the bacteria usually can cause the most life threatening problems .

I asked my vet if he would treat me , and he just smiled and said I'd have to grow 2 more legs and a tail first! [Big Grin]

Posts: 97 | From West Chester ,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not convinced all dogs test positive who are infected. It's clear that my dog was / is [to some extent still] infected. She improved with oral antibiotics, though she occasionally needs to be re-treated (same symptoms as myself; exposed to same groups of ticks).

We both test negative. Maybe it's the strain?

CBL.

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckfever
Member # 9876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckfever     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Can. ,are you treating your dog or is your vet.? [confused]
Posts: 97 | From West Chester ,Pa. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Buckfever,

It's been my vets who have treated my dog.

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckfever
Member # 9876

Have they tested her liver and kidneys as a way to know how her treatment is going ?I ask because Ihave 2 dogs ( apuppy coming next week makes 3)and I really don't trust the tests as much as some , especially with recurrance .

These docs can mess with me , but DON"T mess with my dogs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [tsk]

PM me if you like as I would like to discuss further . thanks !

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl, I'm pretty sure you are right about K9 antibodies being much different than humans. (And, no, we will never tell about your little experiment.) [Smile]

Does anybody have a vet that routinely tests for Babesiosis? I don't think IDEXX even has a test for this......

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

we can order all kinds of tick panels from the lab we use called Antech. I beleive Babs is on there....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement