LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weight Loss, Food Allergies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight Loss, Food Allergies
Hiawatha922
Member # 10796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hiawatha922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with Lyme in early June and I am currently treating the Lyme with antibiotics. In addition to Lyme, however, my LLMD indicated that I had a problem with yeast as well as food allergies (wheat, dairy). She has therefore put me on a diet consisting of meat, fish, and vegetables.

At this point, I have lost close to fifteen pounds on the diet. I have always been on the thin--and active--side and I'm concerned about this weight loss. Any suggestions on this? I understand that it is important to eat healthy food and help my body heal but it seems like substantial weight loss may be counter-productive at some point.

I appreciate any comments.

Posts: 83 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I'm worrying about this same thing, since hubby has lost another 5 lbs. He's been doing the same thing as far as trying to improve diet, no sugars, no sodas, no desserts. Drinking lots of water for detox.

The weight loss is troubling though. Hopefully someone here can offer some advice.

Take care.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hiawatha, you can't eat fresh fruits?

i have gluten...wheat, rye, cow's milk, cheeses, egg whites, and garlic food allergies ... i sympathize with you.

i'm not losing, but cheating doesn't help either! i admire those of you who have completely given up everything. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really helped me through the years of being able to eat only meats and veggies was whey protein shakes.

Whey is a derivative of dairy, but for some reason many people can tolerate whey. Both my daughter and I had strong dairy sensitivities (lessoning now).

These drinks really helped fill in the gaps for me. My own brand (paleomeal) is somewhat expensive. But it often suffices for a small breakfast meal and has a lot of other vitamins and minerals added in so I buy less supplements.

Other favorite whey protein drinks are listed in this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049906

I 'cheated' a little with potatos here and there and seemed okay with it. I took a blood sugar balancing remedy whenever I ate them. This was also true for Van's Frozen wheat-free waffles. These were the only carbs that I could tolerate.

Hope this helps.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raw almonds. Lots of them. A single serving has about 160 calories (small handful) and are loaded with Magnesium (which we all need), 6grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber. Have lots of servings, and your calorie intake just jumped big-time. Unless of course if you have a nut allergy. Other nuts might be helpful as well, just stay away from peanuts and cashews.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark Chocolate is very good for you.

OK, in all seriousness...

I have been as low as 79 lbs when sick...very very scary, I can tell you. Even though I am short, i was emaciated.

Pro-biotics and acidolpholus have greatly helped my intestinal woes without having to get myself on a special diet. I just recently dropped the neurontin, but that made me gain weight.

I find that when I am sick, I have to put down about 3000 calories a day in order to keep the pounds on. I can lose 2 lbs a day if I do not be careful. I was up to 99 Saturday night, this morning I was down to 96 because all I did Sunday were salads (because I LIKE salad)

Maybe a little neurontin for pain/neuro stuff would help with this. It aggrivated my vertigo and drove me nuts, but that's not going to happen to everyone. In any case, some people do not understand how grave a concern weight loss actually is...too skinny means too weak and unable to fight stuff off as well...

Truth is, you only live once..I eat what I like and do what I have to in order to keep the pounds on. Illness and meds are enough of a pain without having to keep on a diet I will only cheat on. Bring on the frozen yogurt with the brownie peices in it...and I pray to stay over 90lbs!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch guys. Much appreciated! Great ideas.

Do long term antibiotics cause weight loss?

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also wondered if using antibiotics made people loose weight. I never lsot weight before treatment and have lost 18 lbs now! In fact, i went to the doctor and weighed 107 on Friday and today i weighed 102 and my LLMD doesnt seem to care. I also have yeast issues (systemic) so am only eating meat, veggies, and eggs. Are you allergic to eggs? I make them with lots of tomatoes and peppers and they are realy yummy. I amso make stir fry thats yeast approved and black bean soup.

Good luck,
Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Lymeinhell, I bought 6 bags of raw almonds today!! Hubby has been instructed to get to snacking on them. Thanks again for the tip.
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's important to take care of the yeast but it's also not healthy to lose too much weight. My husband was put on a candida diet last year (before Lyme diagnosis) and he started to really lose weight he couldn't afford. When the doctor saw him he immediately "liberalized" the diet by adding in healthy carbs.

Try the lemon oil drink. It will help with the herxes and also help with the weight loss.

1/2 whole lemon
1 T olive oil

Food process
Strain over pitcher
Pour 1 cup of water in strainer.

Also my husband started taking goat kefir about two months ago and he is starting to put on some meat. He is supposed to be casein free so we're using goat milk to make it. In addition, he also started on enzymes about a month ago which seems to be helping too.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Thank you Parisa. I will give this a try. What do the lemon and olive oil do to help with weight loss?

Our LLMD and local doc who is treating for Lyme had a consult today about my husband's weight loss.

Parisa, that's been my big concern too, that while cutting out the sugars, he's losing too much weight. I brought home two sugar free pies today, one apple, one cherry. Am hoping they are fattening pies, even without the sugar.

To be honest, I am at wit's end.

Thank you.

needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try adding in some high quality brown rice and other rice products. Rice is usually not allergy producing. There's also rice pasta. I love crackers called "Nut Thins" made from nuts and rice. Consider goat milk feta cheese. I also make some muffins out of the yeast connection cookbook that are made with teff, amaranth and quinoa instead of wheat flour.

Look for the good stuff at the health food store - its full of nutrition and will add some carbs back into your diet.

I know the doc may say that the carbs will turn into to sugar and feed the yeast but if you are losing so much weight that can't be good for you either.

--------------------
Wishing you fast healing and good health!

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boomerang,

The lemon/oil drink helps to alkaline the body. There are several links here about the person who first used it on AIDS patients who were literally wasting away.

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

I don't think there is a one size fits all diet for people (that would be too easy).
Some people do well on the low carb diets, some people get really sick on them. We all have a different need for carbs.

I sometimes make my husband smoothies with banana and coconut milk. Lots of calories and he doesn't have to chew if he's feeling tired.

If he's having stomach issues, I add a Tbsp of carob powder (it's supposed to help with the electrolytes) and a couple Tbsp of rice protein.

Hope some of this helps your husband.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Thanks Parisa and all. I think you're right, there isn't a one size fits all type of thing.

Off to read the article now. Again, thanks. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement