LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Three-year effectiveness of anti-TNF-alpha therapy in patients w/rheumatoid arthritis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Three-year effectiveness of anti-TNF-alpha therapy in patients w/rheumatoid arthritis
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anti-tumor necrosis factor-alpha therapy in the ordinary clinical setting: Three-year effectiveness in patients with rheumatoid arthritis

Abstract

Objectives

The aim was to estimate the proportion of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) achieving low disease activity by anti-tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α) therapy in an ordinary clinical setting.

Methods

Thirty-three patients with active RA despite methotrexate treatment were included in an open phase IV study of infliximab in combination with methotrexate.

The mean age was 53 years (range 21-71) and mean disease duration 10.7 years (1-32). Treatment was changed in cases of insufficient response or intolerable adverse events.

Response status to infliximab was assessed according to the American College of Rheumatology (ACR 20).

Disease activity score (DAS28) was assessed at baseline and at weeks 26, 54, 80, 106 and 158. Low disease activity is defined as DAS28 ≤3.2.

Results

ACR20 response to infliximab was recorded in 73% and 33% of the patients at weeks 26 and 158, respectively. Infliximab was discontinued in 16 patients, 15 of whom started other anti-TNF-α therapy.

The baseline DAS28-score of 6.3 (95% CI 5.9-6.6) was significantly reduced after 26 weeks to 4.1 (95% CI 3.6-4.7) and was later nearly stable. Low DAS28 was achieved by 36% of the patients at week 26, and by 15-24% at later assessments.

Conclusions

RA disease activity was significantly reduced, but DAS28 ≤3.2 was recorded in only 1/4 of the assessments. Increasing this proportion should be subject to continuous quality improvement efforts.

Keywords: Anti-TNF-α therapy; Low disease activity; Quality improvement; DAS28
Anne Kvalvik Grimstvedta, , , Lefsaker Livb, Dyvik Siric and Johan Brun Gorgasb
aHaugesund Rheumatism Hospital, Karmsundsgaten 134, Post office box 2175, N-5504 Haugesund, Norway
bDepartment of Rheumatology, Haukeland University Hospital, Haukeland, Norway
cSection for Rheumatology, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Received 31 December 2006; accepted 26 April 2007. Available online 9 August 2007.

Corresponding author. Tel.: +47 52 80 50 00; fax: +47 52 80 50 09.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imfliximab is Remicade or Humira. Saw a Mayo paper noting an increased risk for cancer in people who take these drugs. A related drug, Enbrel, might also be a suspect but it was not tested/studied.
Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MJO. [Smile]
That's just lovely. [Roll Eyes]
[shake]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The increase risk of cancer in Humira is because it specifically reduces TNF which, as it's name implies, helps to coordinate the expression of tumors.
Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are also reports of activated TB in people taking this. Messing with the immune system is dangerous.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement