LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Disease & Neurological Woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Disease & Neurological Woes
Sarah
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sarah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease & Neurological Woes
Lyme disease and neurological woes
Minneapolis Star Tribune
Jane Brody; 02-19-1995

A young woman thought she was going crazy. Suddenly, this once perfectly healthy college freshman developed severe anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia and loss of appetite.

A doctor and a psychologist at her college's health service recommended rest for what they thought were problems in adjusting to being away from home.

Forced to take a medical leave, she underwent an extensive examination that showed no abnormalities except one: evidence in her spinal fluid of infection by the spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi, which causes Lyme disease.

Only then did she recall having had a circular rash characteristic of Lyme disease months earlier, followed by a brief bout of headaches and unusual fatigue. At the time, she did not take these symptoms seriously and did not seek medical attention.

The young woman's case is among dozens reported in which the Lyme spirochete was the apparent cause of a wide range of psychiatric and neurological problems. Three months after receiving a six-week course of intravenous antibiotics to eradicate the spirochete, the woman felt better.

But a year later more therapy was needed when the anxiety and panic attacks returned, along with musical hallucinations, deja vu experiences and obsessional thoughts.

Although such extreme cases are rare, neurological problems resulting from Lyme disease are more common than realized by most doctors, who tend to look for the more characteristic arthritic conditions associated with the disease.

When Lyme disease is promptly recognized and properly treated, the overwhelming majority of patients recover uneventfully. But often the initial sign of a bite by a Lyme-infected tick - a red circular rash that clears in the center - is not recognized.

Only when more severe symptoms develop weeks or months later is a diagnosis and treatment pursued.

Meanwhile, within weeks of entering the body, the spirochete, a bacterium that resembles the organism that causes syphilis, can invade the brain and spinal cord.

At first, patients may develop meningitis, encephalitis or problems like pain or loss of sensation stemming from an attack on the nerves that emanate from the brain or spinal cord. But as with syphilis, months or years may pass before the late signs of a neurological infection appear.

Once inside the central nervous system, the organism can wreak all kinds of havoc, from memory problems, moodiness and depression to hallucinations, panic attacks, paranoia, manic depression, seizures and even dementia. Memory problems are the most common sign of a brain infection. When the organism invades spinal nerves, patients may develop numbness and tingling in fingers and toes and pain radiating to the front of the body.

In rare cases, the spirochete may "unmask" an attack on the protective sheath of nerves, resulting in spastic muscle weakness in the extremities that resembles multiple sclerosis, said Dr. Allen C. Steere of Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston.

Steere first recognized Lyme disease as a distinct disorder in 1975, and soon realized that it could cause neurological problems.

Dr. Brian Fallon, a psychiatrist at the State Psychiatric Institute in New York, recently reviewed the neuropsychiatric aspects of Lyme disease in The American Journal of Psychiatry, in hope of prompting his colleagues to consider the possibility of this infection when examining patients who might have been exposed to Lyme-infected ticks.

In Europe, where the disease is called borreliosis, patients commonly develop neuropsychiatric symptoms after being infected by the same spirochete that causes Lyme disease, Fallon said. But in this country, arthritic symptoms are most common and many doctors still do not appreciate the threat to the nervous system.

Fallon said that up to 40 percent of patients with Lyme disease developed some involvement of the nervous system affecting either the extremities or the central nervous system.

He told of a 47-year-old man who experienced depression and memory problems as his main signs of Lyme disease, symptoms that responded well to intravenous antibiotics. The symptoms recurred five months later, but he was not treated a second time. He developed a type of dementia that required hospitalization and died a few years later. An autopsy found Lyme spirochetes in a degenerated part of his brain.

Posts: 2641 | From Aptos, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gisells2500
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gisells2500     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah, I'm starting to wonder, they didn't find lyme in my LP. But my symtoms are exactlty as the article described, so what do you think? Of course I'm much better emotionally but physically I'm a wreck.I'm thinking If this could also be lupus.
Posts: 349 | From germantown, MD | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyme n Bean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme n Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey!!! that article is about me, but they change the gender of the patient to protect my innocence. good health! obviously, just kidding!
Posts: 123 | From Swainton, NJ USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly5907
Member # 13734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly5907     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gisells2500-there are very specific tests and symptoms for lupus. I have a family member with it, and it is very obvious. I would suggest getting the lupus test. It is a blood tests that is called "double-sided DNA strand test." I had that done because lupus can run in the family, and I also had a high ANA titer. In order to have lupus your test must be positive. Hope that helps. At this point though, I would trade my lyme disease for lupus any day. Lyme is much worse. Let us know what the test shows!
Posts: 28 | From Long Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gisells2500
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gisells2500     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kelly, my ANA was 1:160 speckled and the antiDNA along with all the ohter things for lupus were negative,but western blot IGM is also positive with the fta being false + for syphilis as you might already know.
Posts: 349 | From germantown, MD | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly5907
Member # 13734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly5907     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Giselles2500- I am no doc, but I am a nurse and it sounds like you don't have lupus. Your titers have to be in the ranges of 1:600"s or more, consitentally and also the double dna tests NEEDS to be positive. I know that lyme is making people's ANA titer come back abnormal but a normal virus or flu can make it abnormal as well. Check with the doc, but I highly doubt lupus. It is probably lyme! Email me if you need anything. Hang in there. I know it's not easy!
Posts: 28 | From Long Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah...

May I say...Lymies are lucky to have you on their side. You should be in one of those commercials... This costs this much, that costs that much, and you can charge it. Having Sarah as a friend...PRICELESS! Keep up the good work. TCOY!

------------------
You can't stop the winds but you can adjust the sails....

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sarah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Tincup! I needed that!*)! Hard day- thank you!!!
Posts: 2641 | From Aptos, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up to save.
Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6639 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement