LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone re-do babesia titre to see if up or down?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone re-do babesia titre to see if up or down?
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I'm considering doing for babesia WA-1.

I tested positive initially through Sonoma County.

Have treated it twice, several months apiece. I'm now six months treatment free (though not 'zackly symptom free).

I do understand that people who test positive might continue to test positive for a while after treatment, but surely not after six months!

AliG said in another thread: Quest also caught my Babs and has been showing ups & downs there that correspond to my increases & decreases in symptoms.

That makes me think it might be a good idea.

What do y'all do? I hate to start treatment again if my symptoms might actually be from lyme and not babesia.

Michelle

[confused]

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michelle!

The first time, after 1 month Tx, symptoms came down.
During next month, symptoms came back up.
Txd another month, symptoms came down again.
Then started Txing Lyme because LLMD thought it was gone.

I don't think titers fell for a month, maybe 6 weeks? I can't really remember.

When symptoms came back up, so did titers.

If you think it's back up again, I'd ask for the test. I think it's been helpful. [Smile]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michelle M:

I do understand that people who test positive might continue to test positive for a while after treatment, but surely not after six months!

Isn't babs in the red blood cell? I thought it took 4 months for new cells to start forming (in a healthy person)??? If so, that wouldn't mean that all the bad cells die off at the same time, right?

I don't know. Whether six months would be long enough is a good question.

AliG said in another thread: Quest also caught my Babs and has been showing ups & downs there that correspond to my increases & decreases in symptoms.

Hmm. It would be interesting to see if others had this same symptom/lab result cycle.

Anyone else discover this correlation between symptoms/lab results?

MM: Let me know if you decide to start monitoring your babs in this way and what you discover, okay?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tests I'm referring to are the IGG/IGM. For me the smears were worthless. They weren't actually looking for the infected cells, just antibodies.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tabby and AliG.

I would probably do the Sonoma County test again, because I can afford $60 a lot sooner than $250 to have a smear done by the lab in Arizona, which I was considering.

If if was negative I'd be inclined to blame current issues on lyme instead of babesia WA1. I don't want to keep treating babesia if it's gone!

I really wish, like everyone, a test could measure our progress, or lack thereof. However, AliG's experience makes me hope it might be possible, assuming you have a strain that shows up on tests, as mine seems to.

Anyone else who re-tests babesia periodically?

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD tests babs titers periodically. Titers have gone up and down, and do seem to correspond to my babs symptoms, too.

Generally, I think it's about 9 months between tests? Not sure exactly but that sounds about right.

At the time of my last test, b. microti was neg but WA-1 had gone up... I've had 6 months more babs treatment since then, and now I'm unclear whether my current symptoms are from another babs relapse or from Lyme/Bart.

We are re-testing at the end of this month, so it will be interesting to see where the titers are now.

Keep us posted on how this works for you...

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Cactus, I didn't know you were a WA-1 buddy! Welcome! Though I'm sorry your titer has gone up, it's informative to know it changes with symptoms.

Cave, if I were you I'd try a little artemisinin, if you haven't already. Going by classic "symptoms" is iffy at best. I declined to test at all in the beginning because I didn't have the "sweats" I'd read about.

AliG and Cactus, you've helped. I think I will retest. Cactus, keep us posted, please!

Michelle

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement