LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Easy Babesia Treatment !!???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Easy Babesia Treatment !!???
nikkib
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nikkib     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came from the LLMD and voiced my frustration with the current mepron/ malerone , zithro, and artemesinin treatment....as it is not working for me. He was very excited to share something new with me!

He told me that recent medical publications sound very promising in killing malaria and he believes it works with babesia too.

It is using a beta-blocker (he put me on inderal) with malerone (both 1 time a day).

He said that studies showed that the beta-blocker "locked" the babesia out of the red blood cells and caused it to die with the malerone on board. I will be happy to try it and see what happens! I will keep you updated. No abx needed for this treatment. -Nikki

Posts: 129 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I hope that's true because I am on a Beta-blocker, Atenolol. I'm also on Heparin shots that may work as Babesia treatment.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beta Blockers lower BP?

If they do, that leaves me out [Frown] , but I sure hope it works for you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a beta blocker the entire time I was treating Babesia. Took malarone part of the time and clindy/Q most of the time.

Artemisinin finally got rid of it for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nikkib
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nikkib     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know yours is gone. Maybe the beta-blocker helped? Would be interesting to have a poll of people that use betablockers to see if they were all the ones that got rid of the babesia while the ones that are not taking them are still struggling? I hope it works! -Nikki
Posts: 129 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's ironic is that I began taking Inderal, then atenolol due to a severe babs herx!! I still have to take the atenolol to keep the tachycardia at a decent level.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking inderal for years due to a congenital heart defect.

I have also been treating babs for a long time, so hopefully the beta blocker help to finally get rid of babs.

I will be stopping all babs meds next month, so I will have to see if this med does the trick, or if I relapse.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heparin is supposed to keep the babesia from sticking to the red blood cells, as well.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountaingirl
Member # 7304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountaingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has also recommended Inderal LA as a beta-blocker for babs. I did some research and here is a summary of the study that I believe our Docs are using as evidence for fighting babesia. This study was done for malaria. Here is the summary, and the full link is below.

mg

FROM ARTICLE REFERRENCED BELOW:

Editors' Summary
Background.
New drugs for treatment of malaria are urgently needed, because the malaria parasite has evolved resistance against virtually all types of commonly used drugs. When a person is bitten by a malaria-infected mosquito, the parasite first infects the person's liver cells before going on to infect red blood cells, where the parasites multiply and develop into a parasite stage called a schizont. The red blood cells then burst and release more schizonts into the bloodstream; it is this ``blood stage'' of infection in humans that causes the symptoms of disease. Therefore efforts to develop new drugs against malaria often focus on this ``blood stage'' of infection. One strategy for developing new drugs is termed the ``host-targeted'' approach. This means that rather than trying to block processes occurring within the parasite itself, a drug can be developed which blocks processes within the person's red blood cells, and which would otherwise be needed for the parasite to complete its life cycle. It will be difficult for malaria parasites to evolve resistance to such a drug, because changes in a person's red blood cells occur much more slowly than in the parasites themselves.

Why Was This Study Done?
This research group has been studying a set of molecular processes within human red blood cells which seemed to be required for entry of malaria parasites into the cells. They wanted to get a better understanding of those processes and, specifically, to find out whether it would be possible to use particular molecules to block those processes, and by doing so to prevent malaria parasites from entering and multiplying within red blood cells. In particular, when the malaria parasites invade the red blood cell, they form membranes around the red blood cell, containing lipids and proteins ``hijacked'' from the red blood cell membrane. These researchers already knew that two particular proteins were hijacked in this way; the ?2-adrenergic receptor (?2-AR) and heterotrimeric G protein (Gs). These two proteins act together to pass messages across the surface of the membrane to inside the cell. Small molecules could be used to block signaling through ?2-AR and Gs, and therefore potentially to provide a new way of preventing malaria parasites from entering red blood cells and multiplying within them.

What Did the Researchers Do and Find?
Firstly, the researchers made red blood cell ``ghosts'' in which to study these molecular processes. This meant that they took fresh red blood cells from healthy human volunteers, burst them to remove half the contents and loaded them with markers and other cargoes before resealing the membranes of the cell. These resealed markers and cargoes allowed them to see what was happening inside the cells. Malaria parasites were able to invade these ghosts normally and multiply within them. When the researchers introduced a specific peptide (a molecule consisting of a short series of amino acids), they found that it blocked Gs signaling within the ghosts. This peptide also prevented malaria parasites from developing inside the ghosts. Therefore, they concluded that Gs signaling inside the red blood cell was important for the parasite life cycle. The researchers then examined a drug called propranolol which is already known to act on Gs signaling and which is commonly prescribed for high blood pressure. This drug also blocked development of malaria parasites inside the ghosts when used at a particular concentration. Finally, the researchers studied the effect of giving propranolol, along with other antimalarial drugs, to human malaria parasites in a culture dish and to mice injected with a malaria parasite that infects rodents. In these experiments, adding propranolol reduced the amount of other ``parasite-targeted'' drugs that were needed to effectively treat malarial infection in tissue culture and in mice.

What Do These Findings Mean?
Showing that the Gs signaling pathway is important for the malaria parasite's life cycle opens up new possibilities for drug development. Specifically, propranolol (which is already approved for treatment of high blood pressure and other conditions) might itself provide a new candidate therapy, either alone or in combination with existing drugs. These combinations would first, however, need to be tested in human clinical trials, perhaps by seeing whether they have antimalarial activity in people who have not responded to existing antimalarial drugs. Since it acts to lower blood pressure, which can already be low in some people with malaria, there are some concerns that propranolol might not be a suitable drug candidate for use, especially with existing antimalarial drugs that also reduce blood pressure. However, other molecules which block Gs signaling could be tested for activity against malaria should propranolol prove not to be an ideal drug candidate.

LINK:

http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0030528

Posts: 34 | From Colorado | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nikki--how is this inderal/malarone going for you?

I tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am on nadolol and diovan. are those betablockers?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think nadolol is.

www.drugdigest.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is this vet drug for dogs and animals with Babesiosis that I wish was FDA approved because it is a one dose drug for Babs- Imidocarb!!! It is restricted to the treatment of animals but it is low cost and one dose!!! There is drug toxicity though as currently prepared- but if only they could refine it more it would be a GREAT human drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are beta blockers prescription drugs?
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first described cases of B. divergens infections were almost all fatal, but with aggressive treatment, including exchange transfusions, of more recent cases the mortality rate has fallen to approximately 40%. Also in this respect, the Swedish case (3) was illustrative: the patient received whole blood exchange transfusion and the parasitaemia declined from >40% to 1% over 2-3 days. Intravenous therapy with quinine and clindamycin was given for 10 days, and the patient recovered and left the hospital six weeks after admission. Atovaquone, a recently introduced drug for treatment of a variety of protozoan human diseases has been shown to be active against Babesia divergens in vitro and in gerbils (7). Atovaquone appears to be at least as active as imidocarb against B. divergens and is much less toxic. It has not yet been used to treat human cases of the disease, but might be a future option.

highlighted link

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Heres the world health report link

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tree, I know- Atovaquone is Mepron- I know Imidocarb is toxic but the one dose allure is so enticing*)!*)!! If they ever make it less toxic just the quickness of recovery would be nice!!! I was on Atovaquoine for 2 years, so I am prejudiced toward the idea of shorter treatments!*)!)*!

I am on a beta blocker myself, Toprol, but have been Babs free for years already so can't offer any input re that- nice to think it may have a prophylactic effect though!!! I was put on beta blocker years after Babs though- don't htink it is a factor for me- but who knows??

Let us know what happens Nikkib*!)*)!!
Take care all-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Imidocarb Animal Dose Determination Freedom of Information Summary
NADA 141-071

Cashed Imidocarb Animal Dose Determination Freedom of Information Summary NADA 141-071

Imizol same as Imidocarb
Animals
Limitations. Use subcutaneously or intramuscularly. Not for intravenous use. Repeat the dose after 2 weeks for a total of two treatments. Imidocarb is a cholinesterase inhibitor. Do not use simultaneously with or a few days before or after treatment with or exposure to cholinesterase-inhibiting drugs,pesticides, or chemicals. Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.

--------------------

Newbie Links

SouthernCO
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernCO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This treatment sounds very promising. Thanks so much for posting.

Question: Anyone taking beta-blockers having symptoms of babesia?

If none or a small %, then this may be even more promising.

Thanks,
Dave

Posts: 175 | From Colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Propranolol is mentioned. I was on that the first 4 weeks I think of babs therapy- mepron, zith and art. Don't really know if I have/had babs or not. Not real sure if it helped although my doc thinks it did. I no longer have night sweats I don't think- just normal hot flashes I think. If I did have babs it seems like it must have been a mild infection.
Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does the inderal help with infection ALREADY in the RBCs? It may keep it out but how does this address already infected cells such that when you stop treatment, they don't continue to persist?

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boomerang:
quote:
Are beta blockers prescription drugs?
Yes

SouthernCO:
quote:
Anyone taking beta-blockers having symptoms of babesia?
I've been on atenolol (a beta-blocker) for 18 years and I still have babs symptoms. I was on malarone and zith for a few months and then mepron and zith for months. Still having some symptoms, still in treatment.

Scott:
quote:
How does the inderal help with infection ALREADY in the RBCs? It may keep it out but how does this address already infected cells such that when you stop treatment, they don't continue to persist?
The RBC's die after about 4 months so whatever is in them (malaria or babesia) probably dies or is released and killed via whatever medication is used to kill them.

I think this is a similar theory to proton pump inhibitors for bart or h.pylori.

You would think that if this worked, my infection would be much less severe than it is after this long on beta blockers or at the very least, I could have gotten rid of it very quickly since I think the reason treatment takes so long is because the parasite is IN the RBC.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
netslacker
Member # 13893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for netslacker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting as my wife is on a betablocker and is currently being treated for babs but can't seem to stay on the zithro because of severe heart reaction. Maybe this is a good Alt. To the zithro and others that interfere so much with her heart rate.

R

--------------------
supportive spouse of Lyme suferer.

Posts: 14 | From UT | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Babesia WA-1. I was very symptomatic when I first began working with LLMD in June but once she began treatment for H. Pylori, my symptoms cleared.

She currently is giving me IV's of MTE-9. This is an herbal concoction for parasites. She says she is doing this first so I will not have to be on Mepron so long.

Nothing has been mentioned about a beta blocker.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaliforniaLyme:
There is this vet drug for dogs and animals with Babesiosis that I wish was FDA approved because it is a one dose drug for Babs- Imidocarb!!! It is restricted to the treatment of animals but it is low cost and one dose!!! There is drug toxicity though as currently prepared- but if only they could refine it more it would be a GREAT human drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California, please keep us posted on any developments regarding Imidocarb. One dose to knock out Babs *IS* very exciting news. I hope they can get it to a "people-friendly" form.

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This means that rather than trying to block processes occurring within the parasite itself, a drug can be developed which blocks processes within the person's red blood cells, and which would otherwise be needed for the parasite to complete its life cycle.
What about *my* life cycle though?

quote:
Small molecules could be used to block signaling through ?2-AR and Gs, and therefore potentially to provide a new way of preventing malaria parasites from entering red blood cells and multiplying within them.
quote:
Therefore, they concluded that Gs signaling inside the red blood cell was important for the parasite life cycle.
Turn off the billions of cell phones in the world, wi-fi, etc... and maybe they wouldn't be getting the signal to infect in the first place.

They have it all backwards again - just concentrating on chemicals.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got some data from another list that beta-blockers can cause memory problems. They are very attracted to fat, and the brain is very high in fat. Propranolol was mentioned specifically.

I don't have a citation on this, but I am interested in looking into it personally.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement