LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mental Illness Linked to Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mental Illness Linked to Lyme Disease
Sarah
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Sarah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mental Illness Linked to Lyme Disease
Some doctors link mental illness with exposure to Lyme disease They claim there could be thousands affected, but other experts are skeptical
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falmouth, Mass. Two decades ago, life started to fall apart for Elizabeth Pykosz. In 1978, she was 21 and happy, playing bass guitar in a country band, living a life with few burdens. Then, suddenly and inexplicably, the happiness drained away, and in its place arose a tide of depression that no amount of psychiatric treatment, no combination of psychotropic drugs, nor any of her 10 suicide attempts could force back down.
No matter what her doctors tried, she just deteriorated. She tried to keep up with her painting, but she seemed to be losing her skill at that, too. And she was mystified, with no idea why she had suddenly sunk so low.

Two years ago, Pykosz, now 42, discovered there was a physical cause for her illness: Lyme disease.

The most common symptoms of Lyme disease -- rashes, lethargy, joint pain -- are well known by now. But the mental effects of advanced Lyme disease -- which some doctors believe include anxiety, memory loss, depression, obsessive-compulsive behavior and extreme aggression -- are still a matter of heated contention.

Awareness has grown since the disease, which is carried by deer ticks and is a problem in Wisconsin, was first discovered in the late 1970s. More and more patients are being correctly diagnosed and treated with antibiotics to kill the bacteria before it does irreparable damage.

But advocates say those who suffer the mental effects of advanced Lyme disease have been left behind. Their illness, missed in its early stages, was allowed to worsen until the infection reached their brains.

Doctors estimate there are thousands of patients like Pykosz, suffering crippling psychiatric problems and taking heavy doses of psychotropic drugs, not knowing that Lyme has caused their illness or that they might be helped with antibiotics.

"If I'd been diagnosed earlier, all of this could have been avoided," Pykosz said of her years of psychiatric illness. "I've gone through an awful lot, and it makes me mad."

Patients like Pykosz are caught in a cross-fire between those who believe Lyme disease is widespread and those who believe Lyme disease has become the disease du jour, overdiagnosed and overtreated with dangerous doses of antibiotics.

While one group of doctors sees a clear connection between the illness and psychiatric symptoms, another believes the connection is tenuous at best and that psychiatrists may be harming mentally ill patients with antibiotics.

"I think in all too many cases what's being called psychiatric disease due to Lyme disease is not, and that other forms of treatment than prolonged antibiotic therapy would be more effective for these people," said Allen Steere, chief of rheumatology and director of the Lyme Disease program at New England Medical Center.

Those who care for Lyme patients with psychiatric symptoms say Steere refuses to acknowledge a public health crisis.

"What we're starting to learn should be a huge wake-up call to all mental health professionals," said Paul K. Ling, a psychologist and advocate for patients with mental symptoms of Lyme disease. "Otherwise, a whole lot of needless human suffering will be the result."

Some doctors liken the situation to earlier thinking on other physical illnesses that were first thought to be psychological.

"There were people in insane asylums who were found to have thyroid disease and syphilis and lupus," said Sam T. Donta, professor of medicine at Boston University. "History tells us there are causes for these illnesses. They're not due to evil spirits."

Pykosz said that since she began antibiotic treatment for her illness and jettisoned her other medications -- at one point she was taking 14 medications a day -- she has been vastly improved. She said she doesn't think of suicide anymore, and her paintings, which years ago hung in several Cape Cod galleries, are finding showings once more.

Posts: 2641 | From Aptos, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gisells2500
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gisells2500     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's how my terrible ordeal began 3 yrs ago. I got OBSSED with having cancer at 23, though my aunt died at 32 and both my grandparents have it. Even after going to 20 diferent docs assuring me I was fine, I lived in sheer terror everyday.It really started with one of my nightmares, in the dream I was told I had Lypmhona, never even heard of it, and that I was dying!
I woke up with such dread that I was never the same after that. I did have a recent episode of rage at the local taco place.
Oh everyone thought I was LOCA, including my whole family and all of my friends.
Of course now they are so iggnorant that they don't put two and two togetther.
See, I KNEW I was going crazy cause I was sick with some weird disease, though it wasn't cancer or MS I'm glad I didn't give up and let my HUSBAND put me in the looony bin.

Posts: 349 | From germantown, MD | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyme n Bean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 139

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lyme n Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm! I wonder if Van Gogh... Nahhh. Good Health
Posts: 123 | From Swainton, NJ USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up to save.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for digging this up.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I had a dream that I was on my death bed dying from cancer. I was telling my husband and son goodbye.

This was at the beginning of all my symptoms over a year ago.

Ever since then, I've been scared to death that I have cancer. That either cancer is 'really' causing all my problems or Lyme is hiding cancer symptoms and the doctors will miss the signs until it's too late.....

I know that I really shouldn't be thinking like that, as I am only 29 yrs. old and both of my parents and all siblings are still alive.

But as much as I tell myself I'm being silly and am letting anxiety rule my thoughts, it is still in the back of my mind almost all the time.

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
auntybiotic1499
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for auntybiotic1499   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease and the co-infection Bartonella (which goes straight to the brain) causes severe mental illness symptoms, My mother went thru the horrible phase that she swaor her mouth was shrinking and no one could convince her otherwise.

She is now perfectly fine but it was the BARTONELLA treatment that halted the mental psychosis.

If you do suffer severe emotional liability, rage attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and depression asked to be treated for Bartonella.

My daughter tested negative for two years and we JUST got a positive thru Igenex which (Thank God) will allow her doctor to treat her.

I think a few LLMD's treat for all co-infections regardless of test results!!

Aunty

Posts: 677 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement