LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neuro Help Please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neuro Help Please
I Have Lyme Etc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7439

Icon 5 posted      Profile for I Have Lyme Etc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone
I haven't posted in a long time because, well, without treatment here in SC my situation hasn't changed much. I have finally gotten my MD to agree that my swallowing problem of 5 yrs that has now left me at 84 pds is not completely my stomach but yet a muscle problem throughout as well as Brain problem coming from my underlying infections (Lyme, Babs, Erlich) to which he finally agree'd..

He has set me up to see a female neurologist on Tuesday of this coming week and I was wondering where I could find some information to take with me (yet again, like banging your head against a brick wall) to show the damage these infections can do to the brain and area's that are responsible for swallowing, body jerking and tremors etc etc..

I am also set to see an ENT on weds for the same issues which also include horrendous sinus issues..

Any direction to easy to understand articles written by other doctors would be a huge help.

Thank you so much advance.

Posts: 209 | From South Carolina by the beach | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out current thread started by greatcod on Lyme & Alzheimers- you can't get worse brain stuff than that!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's about letting the National Institutes of Health convince him?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/lyme/lyme.htm

What are Neurological Complications Of Lyme Disease?

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial organism that is transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tick. Most people bitten by an infected tick develop a characteristic skin rash around the area of the bite. The rash may feel hot to the touch, and vary in size, shape, and color, but it will often have a "bull's eye" appearance (a red ring with a clear center).

However, there are those who will not develop the rash, which makes Lyme disease hard to diagnose because its symptoms and signs mimic those of many other diseases.

Seven to 10 days following an infected tick's bite, the first stage of Lyme disease begins with flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, headaches, fatigue, muscle aches, and joint pain.

Neurological complications most often occur in the second stage of Lyme disease, with numbness, pain, weakness, Bell's palsy (paralysis of the facial muscles), visual disturbances, and meningitis symptoms such as fever, stiff neck, and severe headache.

Other problems, which may not appear until weeks, months, or years after a tick bite, include decreased concentration, irritability, memory and sleep disorders, and nerve damage in the arms and legs.

Is there any treatment?

Lyme disease is treated with antibiotics under the supervision of a physician.

What is the prognosis?

Most individuals with Lyme disease respond well to antibiotics and have full recovery. In a few patients symptoms of persisting infection may continue or recur, requiring additional antibiotic treatment.

Varying degrees of permanent joint or nervous system damage may develop in patients with late chronic Lyme disease. In rare cases, some individuals may die from Lyme disease and its complications.

[Note: The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke is a division of the National Institutes of Health, a government agency. As such, this document is not protected by copyright, and can be copied and disseminated freely.]

Hope that helps,

Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I Have Lyme Ect

Here's a couple of links, hope this helps & good luck with your appointment on Tuesday:

http://www.lymeinfo.net/neuropsych.html

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050762

Note: look on the last link of the above link to get the articles address if you need it.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three things that have helped me with neuro lyme and swallowing problems:

Craniosacral therapy to improve cranial nerve function that feeds the swallowing process.

Cortef

Other anti-inflammatories.

Good luck!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bejoy, cortef helped with your neuro problems? How soon did you notice a difference?

Thanks!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locdog
Member # 10372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have suffered with lyme for 8 years, 6 of them undiagnosed. Main issues being neuro lyme ...

memory, "head fog", concentration, headaches, also some joint pains mostly shoulders and elbows.

Anyways all the abx and mep and so forth only get me so far at least as of now (9 months of treatment) but recently i was turned on to GINGKO

It is probably the single most effective and fast acting result i have seen yet to date. I can't even convey the amount of good it has done for me. try it maybe it will work for u:)

Posts: 40 | From AZ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great, locdog. Our LLMD mentioned that but I hadn't ordered any yet. Do you get any certain type?

Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locdog
Member # 10372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just generic Ginkgo biloba at ur neighborhood pharmacy or prob even grocerie store i got 60 days supplie (2tabs 40mg ea a day) for 12 $ buy one get one free from cvs or walgreens or something.

geter done!!!

Posts: 40 | From AZ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

okey dokey!! Thanks a bunch.

Will geter done. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement