LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neck hurts and sounds like rice crispies !!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neck hurts and sounds like rice crispies !!!!!
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having neck pain and stiffness for a while but lately it has gotten worse. I used to get relief from my symptoms while sleeping but now I can barely sleep. When I move my neck around trying to crack it or something it makes these little squishy creeky cracklies and continues to hurt.

I was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this and what has helped. I did try a chiro 3 times so far but he was adjusting without an x-ray and I was told that is too risky. Plus I always had a pretty bad headache the next day.

Thanks............Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, for me, I got rid of all the pain and the life-threatening stuff, but I am left with, residually:

very very VERY slight hearing loss only when around LOUD noises cannot differentiate voices near me as well

SNAP CRACKLE POP(_!(_!(_! damage I guess!!! I can SNAP CRACKLE POP like crazy, including my neck, jaw, fingers, ankles... my 10 year old likes showing it off to her friends (they all squeal either COOL or GROSS!)

No pain there though- just the sounds-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you are describing sounds exactly like my symptoms!
All of my joints, every single one pops and cracks. Ever since I got lyme 12 years ago. my first complaint was that my neck hurt SO bad and it was all 'crackly'.

So far i have not seen any improvement... but I am hoping this will go away!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have started treatment recently, or even if you've been on treatment for awhile, the painful creakiness is probably part of the Herxheimer reaction, or "herx". It is largely due to damage caused by toxins that the lyme spirochetes generate, and will surely get better as you beat back the lyme-etcetera.

For me, this is one of the symptoms that lingers on, though there is essentially no pain, and it is gradually lessening.

DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would recommend going to a chiropractor that specializes in the neck, it helped me with that problem... I still have some crackling but some crackling can be normal even for a healthy person
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Chiros, like doctors, are not created equally.

I have been going to Chiros for about 25 years. The one I have right now I credit for my ability to keep working and functioning. I have been seeing this one for about 5-6 years.

If I do not go weekly, I backslide, and it takes him weeks to get me out of pain again. But the $100 a month I spend on him saves me $$ in the long run, and a LOT of pain.

However, I HAVE had Chiros that have hurt me, that have left me feeling worse than I did going in. So, if this one doesn't work, try another. Like docs, and everything else in life, you get good and bad.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theracane for trigger points can help with stiff neck and neck pain if it is caused by trigger points. I almost always get relief with the theracane. Search here for more info - also google trigger points or theracane.

Crunching, snapping, popping etc.. are caused by inflammation according to my doctor. Mine gets very bad when on abx. I use anti-inflammatory supplements such as rutin, serraflazyme, EFA's, vitamin E etc..

Hope it gets better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping that these issues will pass now that I am back on abx again. So far I'm on amoxy 4 months and llmd just added Bactrim.

Thanks again, Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

I would think fish oil might help with a neck that makes crackle noises. I have a virus besides lyme that is going around at the moment and it has really hit my neck and my neck is having noise and sticking problems at the moment too.

Try sleeping with a tiny pillow like the type you can buy at REI for camping. That helps my neck.

Natrum Sulph which is just a mineral is for pain in the bones and cracking of joints. You can buy it at most health food stores. If you do buy it by Hylands (I think their brand is the best) and buy it in the 6 x dose.

savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM bicillin helped this symptom.

Whenever I am on IM bicillin, all joint pain and popping goes away.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valbeth
Member # 12715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valbeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
Theracane for trigger points can help with stiff neck and neck pain if it is caused by trigger points. I almost always get relief with the theracane. Terry

When Dr. Drulle was alive (see front pg of this website if you don't know who he was) he used to give me trigger point injections with some kind of anesthetic. Don't know if it was Lidocaine or the Theracane Terry mentioned. Definitely helped. Miss him. [Frown]

--------------------
Valerie
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 63 | From Jim Thorpe, PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

The trigger poiny thing is an issue for me as well. I get this burning pain that starts at the base of my skull and radiates into my head, jaw, eye, etc. This neck pain however feels like the cervical spine itself.

As far as the injections, the Dr's office you mentioned does still give the injections and I have heard some good things about it from members of lymenet. I may have to try it. I just don't want to have to go to another llmd in addition to mine right now.

PS I noticed that whenever it is rainy out or is about to be the trigger point stuff starts to flare. I am only 29 and I find myself saying to people "It's gonna rain, I can feel it" LOL

Thanks again, Rich

Sweetpea's Mom
Member # 12817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweetpea's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TerryK:
[QB] Theracane for trigger points can help with stiff neck and neck pain if it is caused by trigger points.
What is Theracane? I looked it up on the net and it looks like it is some kind of massage device. Is that correct? Or is it some kind of drug?

Posts: 24 | From Maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theracane is a massage tool that is used to clear trigger points. It allows one to reach all of their own trigger points with knobs that can be used to work out the trigger points. Works best to get the book that shows pain referral patterns and shows how to work out the trigger points.

The shots usually use steroids which I would not use due to possible immune system effects. You can get the shots with lidocaine but my doctor said they aren't as effective.

Here are some links here

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045810

And:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=048411

this one for neck pain
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050536

Terry

[ 21. August 2007, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiropractors vary in their technique and abilities. A good neck adjustment can make you feel better right away. I can feel the pressure and pain abating immediately after a good adjustment.

Now, I don't hold long, due to having Lyme disease, so I'm a chronic chiro patient.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oddly, the neck stiffness and cracking was the only symptom doxy helped me with...
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement