LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CAN LYME CAUSE GRAVE'S DISEASE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CAN LYME CAUSE GRAVE'S DISEASE?
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently many of us with Lyme Disease also have thyroid problems. I know hypothyroid problems can be due to a lyme infection but can hyperthyroid also be caused by Lyme? Is Grave's Disease the same thing as hyperthyroidism or at least does it involve hyperthyroidism?

This is an important question and I am hoping we can get a discussion going...Thanks so much
Margie

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why it couldn't! Lyme messes with all of our hormones and the thyroid is a common place for it to strike.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS...Did you know that both George Bush (Sr) and his wife Barbara have Grave's disease?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes....this is why I brought it up. I wanted to see if other people also made this connection?
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
PS...Did you know that both George Bush (Sr) and his wife Barbara have Grave's disease?

And their dog had a thyroid condition too, from what I recall...
Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

That's what I was trying to remember also...if their dog had the same condition. I think this is something to look into more. Too coincidental for me
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graves is also called Thyroid-Eye disease.

There are measureable antibodies that attack the thyroid, causing hyperthyroidism. At times, decompression sugery also has to be done on the eyes. Many times it also causes a skin condition on the legs.

Destroying or removing the thyroid does NOT cure Grave's disease, although some docs would say that cures it just as 3 weeks of abx cures Lyme. Many people who have the thyroid removed or irradiated due to Graves contiinue to have autoimmune disease of the eyes.

Its not Lyme. If you have ever seen someone with Graves eye disease, you would know it is a far cry from what we deal with.

They have to have their eyes decompressed because they are unable to close their eyes because they bulge out of their heads and their eyelids retract. I'd rather have Lyme. Graves is much more deadly and much more disfiguring.

Some pictures:

http://www.endocrine.in/images/grave.jpg

http://www.revoptom.com/HANDBOOK/SECT62a.HTM

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

My vet once commented to me about how owners and pets often share the same, identical health condition. He even said it wasn't just that both pet and owner had heart disease, for example, but rather that they shared the same type of heart disease.

So that's interesting about Bush Sr., Barbara, and their dog.

God only knows what I have.

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graves is considered an autoimmune disease (Th2 dominance) while Bb triggers the opposite (Th1 dominance).

I've experienced thyroid trouble too, and after lots of study my suspicion is Bb interferes with the body's normal conversion and use of the hormones.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lyme.org/faces/wood.html

Article about the struggles of a man with Lyme

Here's a quote from his website:

"In time, I developed severe thyroid difficulties--Graves disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and a toxic multinodular goiter.

I responded poorly to steroid treatment and three treatments with large doses of radioactive iodine failed to address the thyroid difficulties.

I developed several hundred unusual benign lipomas throughout my lower back and thighs, and found my energy dwindling to the point where I was frequently bed-bound and unable to do more than the simplest tasks. Neurological anomalies persisted."

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Being someone with Graves, I thought I would chime in. I have not been tested for Lyme Disease.

Graves disease is an auto-immune thyroid disease, and the medical community doesn't really know the exact cause. But there does seem to be a link of stress on the body, whether it's emotional or physical. I know I went thru a severe emotional trauma a few months prior to being diagnosed with Graves disease back in 1999. I personally believe this event in my life and my emotional reaction to it is what triggered my Graves disease.

Possibly the severe trauma of Lyme disease can impact the body (physically and emotionally) to the point that it 'triggers' other problems such as Graves disease.

Take care
Taylor

Posts: 23 | From GA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread. I don't have Lyme, hubby has the Lyme. But I do have Hashimotos's Disease.

Hubby is being treated with armour thyroid for his immune system.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Thankyou everyone for your feedback. I have hashimoto thyroiditis also.

It would seem to me that in the case of the Bush family that it must have been something contagious that set it off with them....for husband and wife and then the dog too?. That's pretty strange

kath628
Member # 12977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kath628   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG...this is just too weird for me! I have always been healthy, dont smoke etc. I have herniated discs for a few years and have gone thru alot of cortizone epidurals to try to ease my pain. Otherwise I've been fine. Well about 6 mo ago I started running fevers on and off. They never culminated in flu or colds. Then I started feeling more fatigued, but had a racing heart etc. Then I developed shooting pains in my ankles and legs and fingers, and last I got so the soles of my feet would hurt so bad in the AM I could hardly walk on them!
I finally went to the dr a week and a half ago. I tested positive for Lyme disease and also my TSH was .0001, which is practically nonexistant. I am on amoxicillan for 60 days for the lyme and just had my thyroid scans past 2 days. The tech said they are out of normal range. This is just so weird that you ppl are mentioning Graves and lyme in the same sentence, as I never had anything wrong and now all this is occurring together. I wonder if there really is a connection!!!

--------------------
 -
LITTLE LYMIE

Posts: 29 | From Tamaqua, Pa, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kath628:

please stay awhile and really educate yourself about lyme. there are things you need to know about diagnosis and treatment and the best doctor to help you with your lyme. this is very important-there is a good chance your lyme will not be totally cured in 60 days - even if you feel better and tests say you are better-

please educate yourself. what you do now at the beginning of treatment is very very important. lp

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kath628:
OMG...this is just too weird for me! I have always been healthy, dont smoke etc. I have herniated discs for a few years and have gone thru alot of cortizone epidurals to try to ease my pain.

Be VERY careful with the Epidural steroid injections. Mention this t your LLMD. Cause me major problems & erased lots of progress.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
OMG...this is just too weird for me! I have always been healthy, dont smoke etc. I have herniated discs for a few years and have gone thru alot of cortizone epidurals to try to ease my pain. Otherwise I've been fine.

BIG problem if you have Lyme.

PS....Do you have a real LLMD??? 60 days of meds won't do much if you've had this a long time.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
marg,

my husband has undiagnosed lyme based upon his igenex W.B. blood tests, and has had GRAVES DISEASE since 1980 with hyper thyroid.

yes, to me; they go hand in hand.

after his hyperthyroid diagnosis, i tested too but was HYPOthyroid, and during last years complete body lab testings, learned i was hoshimoto now too!

kath628
Member # 12977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kath628   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
OMG...this is just too weird for me! I have always been healthy, dont smoke etc. I have herniated discs for a few years and have gone thru alot of cortizone epidurals to try to ease my pain. Otherwise I've been fine.

BIG problem if you have Lyme.

PS....Do you have a real LLMD??? 60 days of meds won't do much if you've had this a long time.

I dont get the epidurals anymore. Last ones I had were in about January, and for 2 summers before.Could the epidurals have triggered either the lymes or the thyroid? Why do you say the epidurals are a big problem if I have lyme?
I plan to find a LLMD but also wish to educate my family dr as well so he can better help others.

--------------------
 -
LITTLE LYMIE

Posts: 29 | From Tamaqua, Pa, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really interesting.......lots of Hashimoto's people here. Hashimoto's is an immune system disorder. I didn't realize Graves was also.

Things that make you go hmmm....... ?

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Steroids cause immune suppression. If your immune system takes a dive, the Lyme comes to the forefront....often in a big way.

Several on this board had the Lyme take over after a round of steroids for another medical problem.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
National Graves' Disease Foundation

Frequently Asked Questions
About Graves' Disease

What is Graves' Disease?

The leading cause of hyperthyroidism, Graves' disease represents a basic defect in the immune system, causing production of immunoglobulins (antibodies) which stimulate and attack the thyroid gland, causing growth of the gland and overproduction of thyroid hormone. Similar antibodies may also attack the tissues in the eye muscles and in the pretibial skin (the skin on the front of the lower leg).

Facts

Graves' disease occurs in less that 1/4 of 1% of the population.

Graves' disease is more prevalent among females than males.

Graves' disease usually occurs in middle age, but also occurs in children and adolescents.

Graves' disease is not curable, but is a completely treatable disease

Symptoms

Fatigue
Weight Loss
Restlessness
Tachycardia (rapid heart beat)
Changes in libido (sex drive)
Muscle weakness
Heat intolerance
Tremors
Enlarged thyroid gland
Heart palpitations
Increased sweating
Blurred or double vision
Nervousness & irritability
Eye complaints, such as redness and swelling
Hair changes
Restless sleep
Erratic behavior
Increased appetite
Distracted attention span
Decrease in menstrual cycle
Increased frequency of stools

Who develops Graves' disease?

Although Graves' disease most frequently occurs in women in the middle decades (8:1 more than men), it also occurs in children and in the elderly. There are several elements contributing to the development of Graves' disease. There is a genetic predisposition to autoimmune disorders.

Infections and stress play a part.

Graves' disease may have its onset after an external stressor.

In other instances, it may follow a viral infection or pregnancy.

Many times the exact cause of Graves' disease is simply not known.

It is not contagious, although it has been known to occur coincidentially between husbands and wives.

Of research importance, the Graves' gene in DNA has not yet been identified.

How is Graves' disease treated?

There are three standard ways of treating Graves' disease. Choice of treatment varies to some degree from country to country, and among particular physicians as well. The decision should be made with the full knowledge and informed consent of the patient, who is the primary member of the treatment team. The selection of treatment will include factors such as age, degree of illness, and personal preferences. Generally speaking, from least invasive to most invasive, the treatments include:

Anti-thyroid drugs which inhibit production or conversion of the active thyroid hormone;

Radioactive iodine (I-131), which destroys part or all of the thyroid gland and renders it incapable of overproducing thyroid hormone; or

Subtotal thyroidectomy, in which a surgeon removes most of the thyroid gland and renders it incapable of overproducing thyroid hormone.

The first treatment is about 20-30% effective, and the latter two treatments result in about a 90-95% resolution rate of the disease. In a few cases, the treatments must be repeated. In all cases, lifetime follow-up laboratory studies must be done, and in almost all cases, lifetime replacement thyroid hormone must be taken.

Are there any alternatives to these treatments of Graves' disease?

There are a number of things that you can do to assist your body in healing. However, the state of science as we know it indicates there is no "natural" way to "cure" Graves' disease. For instance, although there are no specific foods that will permanently change your thyroid function, the more healthy, nutritionally dense foods you eat, the better your body will be able to fight against infection and further insult. Equally, many of the treatments like acupuncture, exercise, meditation, and various mind-body therapies may provide comfort measures and relief, but are not a substitute for standard medical treatment. Be sure to consult and collaborate with your physician when embarking on additional therapies. There are many studies of other auto-immune diseases that indicate that the more input and control a patient has in their care, the more rapid their recovery will be. It is of interest to all who are hopeful of more, effective additional treatment models in the future that the National Institutes of Health are trying to adequately research and evaluate the hard data of alternative therapies.

What are the complications?

Graves disease usually responds to treatment, and after the initial period of hyperthyroidism, is relatively easy for physicians to treat and manage. There are some exceptions to this, and for some, treatment and subsequent stabilization are much more challenging, both to the patient and the treating team of physicians. The more serious complications of prolonged, untreated, or improperly treated Graves' disease include weakened heart muscle leading to heart failure; osteoporosis, or possible severe emotional disorders.

Where can I get more information?

The NGDF is a lay organization that provides patient education and support. Membership entitles you to our newsletter, bulletins, discounts at our annual national conference and contribute to the continuation and availablity of the Foundation to others with Graves' disease. All our materials are prepared by experts in their field, and carefully monitored for accuracy. The information is not a substitute for medical care. For more information, send a 9 X 12 --inch self addressed, stamped ($1.01) envelope. You will receive a sample newsletter, sample bulletins, a complete list of publications and applications. If you join now, please allow six to eight weeks for processing. All membership dues and contributions are tax-deductible.
Copyright � 2000, National Graves Disease Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumpy
Member # 12995

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Lumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! A newbie here. I happened to stumble upon this board while looking up the significance of testosterone use and Grave's Disease.

I was just diagnosed with Grave's. My T3 level was 2,000 and my T4, 70.

I was told by my doctor that my T3 level should have been between 200 & 450, my T4 1.8.

3 days ago I took a radioactive 131 pill and have been stuck behind my computer since then.

After reading some of the posts, I am now going to look the the corelation of Lyme's and my hyperthyroidism....

Just wanted to say hi!

Regards,

L2 Lumpy

Posts: 2 | From Denver, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lumpy
Member # 12995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lumpy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing....

I had ALL the symtoms of Graves

Sweating
Lost 61 lbs in 5 months
Hand tremors.... etc.

If you read the symtoms, you read me

L2 Lumpy

Posts: 2 | From Denver, Colorado | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome lumpy to the board!

i'm sending you my private message, pm, of 62 pages of newbie links, advise, symptoms, tests, disability, much more including treepatrol's archive of over 1000 links of good lyme info.

my husband was the one mentioned above w/GRAVES DISEASE and also took radioactive pill that we never saw a bill for!

he also has UNDIAGNOSED LYME confirmed by igenex, calif. western blot igm/igg blood test positives.

he lost 100 lbs. by time he was dx; has now again lost over 100 lbs. after my diabetes dx.

has SEVERE TREMORS, and now dx w/mild parkinson's.

i highly recommend you have a western blot igm/igg blood test done and sent to IGENEX, CALIF. directions are in waht i'm sending around pages 7-10. you can call them to have them send you a blood kit for this.

pms can be found on top of left hand side below HELLO by flashing light or in my profile! [Razz]

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lyme and hypothyroidism, not hashimoto's though. Just regular hypo.

I am starting to believe that lyme is the cause of my hypo. I haven't talked to my LLMD about it, but I've heard others who said their LLMD said it was a cause.

So I am sure it could be a cause of Grave's Disease as well.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of doctor would you consult to be accurately assessed? An internist, or an endocrinologist?

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even autoimmune diseases may have originated from infections.

Viral infections may be far more popular than we would imagine.

In a recent paper, they found viral sequences in almost all samples tested.

Cell. 2007 Jun 29;129(7):1401-14.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wotm- thanks for the informative post.

My temp did increase with amour, but i never knew that at some point you might have to stop taking it. That is good to know.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graves disease is a thyroid disorder characterized by goiter, exophthalmos, "orange-peel" skin, and hyperthyroidism. It is caused by an antibody-mediated auto-immune reaction, but the trigger for this reaction is still unknown. Lyme or coinfection it effects everything It is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism in the world, and the most common cause of general thyroid enlargement in developed countries.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doublespacing this for neuro lymies like me to comprehend/read better. Bettyg

quote:
Originally posted by w0tm:

WARNING -- THIS IS LONG AND INVOLVED SO SKIP IT UNLESS THE QUESTION IS OF IMPORTANCE TO YOU. IF IT IS, THIS MAY BE OF HELP. IT IS UNLIKELY YOU'VE READ THIS ANYWHERE ELSE BEFORE.

SORRY, THERE IS NO WAY TO WRITE THIS IN SYNOPSIS FORM WITHOUT LEAVING OUT CRITICALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

IF YOU CANNOT READ IT DUE TO "LYME BRAIN FOG" AND THIS SUBJECT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, WRITE ME AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO HAVE A TELEPHONE CALL WITH YOU.

I PERSONALLY KNOW THE FRUSTRATION OF "LYME BRAIN FOG". WITH ME, IT COMES AND GOES BUT I KNOW IT CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING.

SO I DO NOT MIND CONVEYING THIS INFORMATION TO YOU VERBALLY IF YOU ARE CERTAIN LOW THYROID AND LOW BODY TEMPERATURE MAY BE A PROBLEM ADDING TO YOUR ILLNESS.

CAVEAT: I AM NOT A DOCTOR SO CONSULT A REAL DOCTOR BEFORE, OR IF, YOU DO ANYTHING BASED ON WHAT YOU READ HERE!

The Thyroid and Immune System Disorders

1 If the immune system is stressed for a long period of time such as fighting a difficult illness (such as Lyme or any EB-V illness), it gets ``tired'' and can ``forget'' how to convert T4 into T3. The thyroid and hypothalamus glands produce T4 BUT the body actually needs T3.

2. If T3 is reduced, a ``standard'' thyroid test may still show the thyroid is ``fine'' since many thyroid tests only test for T4. Medical science assumes the body always converts T4 into T3. Wrong!

3. A doctor (even a thyroid doctor who should know better) reads the ``everything is OK'' thyroid test and is puzzled as the patient usually has all the classic symptoms of hypothyroidism and mentally thinks ``I've heard this test is not always accurate so I'll put the patient on Synthroid.

Extra T4 can't hurt!'' Wrong! It CAN hurt. If T3 is low but T4 is normal, extra T4 can further suppress what little T3 exists. The patient feels even worse!

4. Not knowing what to do, the doctor often leaves the patient on Synthroid saying ``well, sometimes it takes time for the thyroid to adjust''. Five years later the doctor is still saying ``one more month''. Hopefully, the patient has found a knowledgeable doctor long before then.

5. What to do? Go to

www.wilsonssyndrome.com[/URL] to understand the illness. The hypothyroidism caused by low T3 causes the body's systemic pH to drop (the body becomes more and more acidic - meaning toxic).

The body's rate of metabolism slows down. Basically, the body adds ``bad stuff'' faster than it gets rid of it. It is a vicious cycle.

You can buy expensive pure T3 replacement and other supplements (see the Web site just mentioned) but few people need them. Most do just fine with the original old-time 19th century-type replacement for thyroid in the body - armour thyroid.

Armour thyroid (AT) is desiccated (dried) pig thyroid. It is about the safest prescription medicine there is as it is just dried ham! But all thyroid.

The only danger can be taking AT for too long and going into hyperthyroidism. Having an over-active thyroid can damage organs of the body. Watch for the signs of hyperthyroidism as your thyroid returns to normal.

6. Buy a box of pH Stix from Alkalive ($10 for a box of 80 on eBay). There are many brands but I prefer pH Stix as they do a two color test so it is extra accurate. Health food stores also sell pH sticks and tape. Buy a good quality GLASS thermometer. Walgreens sells one I like for $6.49 from Geratherm.

7. Measure your body pH and body temperature at the same time each day. One hour after dinner is recommended as best. Keep track.

If your body temperature averages 98.6 and your pH is in the normal range of 6.5 to 7.5 then stop reading except for general interest. You probably do not have a thyroid or metabolism problem.

At least such that it is reducing your body's ability to make maximum usage of medications. BUT, if you have suffered from any Immune System Disorder (ISD) for a period time, your body has probably begun to, or has mostly, forgotten how to convert T4 into T3.

Your body temperature is low, your body pH is low, your body is full of toxins and your metabolism is sluggish. You only know your metabolism is sluggish by ``feeling sluggish''.

8. Take the several weeks of your recorded body temperature and body pH to a GOOD doctor and tell him/her you need a prescription for AT. I took a full dosage which was 120 mg 2x a day for several months to reach 98.6.

Who is a ``good'' doctor? One who understands this or at least ``humors'' you with a prescription for AT to get you to go home. After your health is 100% better in a few months, they will be asking YOU questions and will be putting all their chronic ``I feel terrible'' patients on AT and will take body temperature of all their patients EVERY visit and body pH every few months.

Mine ``cured'' two dozen of his other patients who were as bad off as being bed-ridden! They have no idea his ``miracle drug'' is NOT new and the knowledge came from another patient.

They are just joyful to have their health back! By the way, ``blood pH'' is always 7.4. I

f 6 or 8, the person is dead. Some doctors ONLY know blood pH. A few will actually argue body pH ``does not exist!'' Or is not important. Ask such doctors ``what is the pH of the liquid in the body?'' All liquids have a pH reading.

The body is mostly water as you know. You want your body to be slightly alkaline (i.e., 7.2 but 6.5 is almost as healthy - a toxic 5.2 is 1,000 times as acidic - pH is a logarithmic scale - 7.0 is neutral).

9. Begin to take armour thyroid (AT). Keep measuring your body temperature and pH. Check your pH via saliva or urine. Doesn't matter which EXCEPT, do NOT test urine in the morning as the body is clearing itself of toxins built-up overnight.

Do NOT eat or drink for an hour before a saliva test for obvious reasons. My pH had become so acidic (toxic) everything tasted bitter (acidic) and my saliva was yellowish!

I dropped to 4.7 at the worst. A cadaver measures 3.5. My body temperature dropped as low as 93 degrees.

My metabolism was so sluggish ``nothing'' worked. Bowel movements were weekly at best. My body was a ``toxic waste dump site!'' Putting one foot in front of the other was a challenge. I mostly just sat all day, every day working up energy to go to another room every so often.

10. Within two weeks, my average body temperature passed 98.0. My pH passed 6.0 and I began to feel good again. I was detoxing naturally. You do not need all the many expensive detox pills, herbs, minerals and gadgets you see advertised ("detox TODAY for $99!").

A box of pH Stix, a few months of AT tablets and a good thermometer. That's it! Oh, and drink lots of water and juices to speed up detoxing. Surprisingly, I found I could eat and drink most anything. Cokes, acidic foods and so forth. But it does help to eat and drink healthy. And give up smoking. Smoking drops pH an average of half a point.

11. Think 98.2 degrees is OK? NO! Every half degree drops your metabolism by five to ten times. Be at 97 degrees and your metabolism is like 80-weight oil, your body fills with toxins over time and your pH is toxic somewhere below six (``normal'' is 6.5 to 7.5'').

12. Do NOT let a doctor tell you ``Synthroid is better so we'll use it instead'' or ``oh, body temperature varies from one person to another. That's normal.''

If they know nothing about body pH, that's OK - you just want the prescription for AT. As I wrote, taking Synthroid if your T4 is OK but your T3 is low can make things WORSE!

If they tell you ``average body temperature varies from one person to another'', ask if those with low body temps tend to be the chronic ``I feel awful, drag all day but don't know why'' patients.

If they take the time to check that out (as my doctor did), he/she will say ``hmm, 100% are! Wonder what that means?''

13. You may end up being a favorite patient of your doctor by helping him/her ``cure'' dozens of other chronic ``I feel awful'' patients. But you mostly just want to feel better yourself! But it's still a nice feeling knowing you helped many others your doctor had given up on!

14. After your temperature has returned to 98.6 and stays there for a few weeks, taper off of the AT. Keep checking body temperature and body pH periodically THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Most people who HAD Wilson's Syndrome have their bodies ``remember'' how to convert T4 into T3 and AT is no longer needed.

In fact, you do not want to continue taking AT as you'll change to hyperthyroidism (too much thyroid chemical). Hyperthyroidism is dangerous!

15. By now, your energy is back, your body temperature averages around 98.6 (it does vary by about half a degree during the day but it's the average you care about), your body pH is in the normal range (6.5 to 7.5), you ``feel'' like your metabolism is back up and your body is detoxing. Foods taste normal again!

No more metallic taste? That's from heavy metal poisoning that is one of many minor ISD's that almost always appear with excess toxicity and low body pH. Taking pharmaceutical grade cilantro (over the counter at any pharmacy in the herbal medicine section) will rid your body of built-up heavy metals faster.

Cilantro attracts heavy metal almost like a magnet. Your body expels the cilantro with the metals attached.

16. Why haven't you heard or read of this important connection between thyroid problems and all types of immune system disorders? Got me! Other than few have put the pieces of the puzzle together or have made it more difficult than it is for reasons unknown. Why was the world thought to be flat for thousands of years! This is NOT rocket science!

And there is NO money to be made in this simple path to getting your body temperature, body pH, metabolism and natural detoxing back on track. It all cost me $30, or so, (plus doctor visits and about $100,000 of useless hospital stays and bum steers by doctors doing their best to cure me but with no knowledge of what turned out to be soooo simple!).

Now, if someone can just figure out a similarly simple cure for Lyme!

17. I hope this has been of help but if I missed anything, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

But please Google all these terms first and read about Wilson's Syndrome rather than have me answer questions that are already on the Internet.

I enjoy chatting with others (I learn too!) but I receive way too many e-mails from people asking questions that putting the question into Google would have provided tons of excellent and correct information.

Personally, I am STILL battling Lyme (I'm currently on IV Ceftin with a PICC line to my heart) but the dozen other EB-V illnesses I HAD with NO medication or treatment doing ANYTHING to help before this, ``magically'' disappeared within 90 days!

Medications or anything digestible in your body can't react, metabolize, digest, etc. if your body is a ``toxic waste dump'' and is sluggish ``stuck with the parking brake on'' (low metabolism).

All my meds for EB-V's and other illnesses began to clear up just like they were SUPPOSED to do (but had been doing nothing).

My energy level is now close to what it once was and my health is restored (except for the darn Lyme that took ten years to diagnose, have Lyme for too long and it may be with you forever - personal observation).

Other subjects I learned about the hard, laborious way? Why a low pH can cause body pain, jawbone infections, diagnosis and treatment, quack medications and gadgets, bacteria that thrives without oxygen and causes no swelling and instant lock-on of moving objects using radar (my name is on a key patent that gives us all speeding tickets - I REALLY regret that invention - sorry! -

I was an electrical engineer for 40 years before my journey into the madness we call our health care system). Feel free to e-mail me for information - except for how to beat a speeding ticket (I have no clue). [email protected]

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would bump this thread back up.

I was recently diagnosed with Graves' and am also experiencing most of the common listed symptoms. I think it is interesting how many of these symptoms correlate to symptoms of Bartonella.

I especially am interested in the correlation between lipomas and Graves'...as I have had painful subcutaneous lipomas developing for a few years now, and no one seems to be able to offer any sound reasoning as to what they are and why they appeared.

Graves' has been shown to have a strong hereditary linkage. I know that my maternal grandmother had severe thyroid issues and died prematurely of an 'unknown condition' related to thyroid and infectious dysfunction.

I have found this site to be particularly readable:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/120619-overview

In some patients, Graves disease represents a part of more extensive autoimmune processes leading to dysfunction of multiple organs (eg, autoimmune polyglandular syndromes). Graves disease is associated with pernicious anemia, vitiligo, diabetes mellitus type 1, autoimmune adrenal insufficiency, systemic sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, Sj�gren syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, and systemic lupus erythematosus.2

Mortality/Morbidity

If left untreated, Graves disease can cause severe thyrotoxicosis. A life-threatening thyrotoxic crisis (ie, thyroid storm) can occur. Long-standing severe thyrotoxicosis leads to severe weight loss with catabolism of bone and muscle. Cardiac complications and psychocognitive complications can cause significant morbidity. Graves disease is also associated with ophthalmopathy, dermopathy, and acropachy.

* Thyroid storm is an exaggerated state of manifestation of thyrotoxicosis.7 It occurs in patients who have unrecognized or inadequately treated thyrotoxicosis and a superimposed precipitating event such as thyroid surgery, nonthyroidal surgery, infection, or trauma. When thyroid storm was first described, the acute mortality rate was nearly 100%. In current practice, with aggressive therapy and early recognition of the syndrome, the mortality rate is approximately 20%.8

* Long-term excess of thyroid hormone can lead to osteoporosis in men and women. The effect can be particularly devastating in women, in whom the disease may compound the bone loss secondary to chronic anovulation or menopause. Bone loss is accelerated in patients with hyperthyroidism. The increase in bone loss can be demonstrated by increased urinary pyridinoline cross-link excretion. Serum calcium and phosphate, plasma FGF-23 were significantly higher in the patients with Graves disease than in healthy control subjects,9 suggesting that FGF-23 is physiologically related to serum phosphate homeostasis in untreated Graves disease.

* Hyperthyroidism increases muscular energy expenditure and muscle protein breakdown. These abnormalities may explain the sarcopenia and myopathy observed in patients with hyperthyroid Graves disease.

* Cardiac hypertrophy has been reported in thyrotoxicosis of different etiologies. Rhythm disturbances such as extrasystolic arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, and flutter are common. Cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure can occur.

* Psychiatric manifestations such as mood and anxiety disorders are common.10 Subjective cognitive dysfunction are often reported by Graves disease patients and may be due to affective and somatic manifestations of thyrotoxicosis, which remit after treatment of Graves thyrotoxicosis.11

* Nonpitting edema is the most prevalent form of dermopathy (about 40%) and are primarily in the pretibial area. The nearly all (>95%) patients with dermopathy had ophthalmopathy.12 Advanced forms of dermopathy are elephantiasis or thyroid acropachy. Severe acropachy can be disabling and can lead to total loss of hand function.

* Progression of ophthalmopathy can lead to compromised vision and blindness. Visual loss due to corneal lesions or optic nerve compression can be seen in severe Graves ophthalmopathy.

* Maternal Graves disease can lead to neonatal hyperthyroidism by transplacental transfer of thyroid-stimulating antibodies. Approximately 1-5% of children of mothers with Graves disease (usually with high TSI titer) are affected. Usually, the TSI titer falls during pregnancy.

* Elderly individuals may develop apathetic hyperthyroidism, and the only presenting features may be unexplained weight loss or cardiac symptoms such as atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure.

The symptoms of Graves disease, organized by systems, are as follows:

* General - Fatigue, general weakness

* Dermatologic - Warm, moist, fine skin; sweating; fine hair; onycholysis; vitiligo; alopecia; pretibial myxedema

* Neuromuscular - Tremors, proximal muscle weakness, easy fatigability, periodic paralysis in persons of susceptible ethnic groups

* Skeletal - Back pain, loss of heigh, loss of stamina, history of fractures

* Cardiovascular - Palpitations, dyspnea on exertion, chest pain, edema

* Respiratory - Dyspnea

* Gastrointestinal - Increased bowel motility, hyperdefecation with or without diarrhea

* Ophthalmologic - Tearing, gritty sensation in the eye, photophobia, eye pain, protruding eye, diplopia, visual loss

* Renal - Polyuria, polydipsia

* Hematologic - Easy bruising

* Metabolic - Heat intolerance, weight loss despite increase or similar appetite, worsening diabetes control

* Endocrine/reproductive - Irregular menstrual periods, decreased menstrual volume, gynecomastia, impotence

* Psychiatric - Restlessness, anxiety, irritability, insomnia

(bolded indicate my current symptoms)

***Graves disease has been associated with a variety of infectious agents such as Yersinia enterocolitica and Borrelia burgdorferi. Homologies have been shown between proteins of these organisms and thyroid autoantigens.20, 21***

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

MELANIE, outstanding info!

i could relate to hubby w/grave's disease and complete body LIPOMAS! they just keep coming everywhere. i learned alot of added above link/your 3-22 comments to my newbie package links! thanks for contribution.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You CAN become hypERthyroid WITHOUT having true Grave's disease. Grave's is an autoimmune condition of which is commonly the cause of hyperthyroid, but not always.

After I went to Germany for photon treatment, I became hyper, but it was not Graves and was not related to any autoimmunity based on all of the tests that were run.

I was NOT willing to consider getting my thyroid radiated or removed, etc. I used WTSMed ThyroCalm PX orally and topically and things have improved.

So though it is the most common cause, it is not always the cause.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are most welcome Betty. Love to your hubby.

Hey Scott, right now I am Hyperthyroid and am exhibiting all the symptoms of Graves'. My recent Thyroid panel confirms this.

I do realize that it can be controlled with meds, and my doc has prescribed Armour. But first we are checking Adrenals just as soon as I can get some answers on the test kit.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your doc prescribe Armour for hyperthyroid? Why? That is for hypothyroid. Maybe I need to go do some more reading but that doesn't sound right.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

For me, it is the reverse T3 that is high and messed up. I have been trying to research this for days and just am not really understanding all the specifics. (sick brain)

My resting pulse at my last apt was 116, normally it is in the low 60's. My heart keeps skipping beats and feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. And I just can't relax my nerves to save my life right now, not eating or sleeping more than 2-4 hours a day...very strange for me. Definitely Hyper!

Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread. My T3 is very low, my T4 is in the normal range, and my TSH is in the very low end of normal.

My LLMD said this was "very intriguing" and I am doing the saliva test tomorrow.

As others have said, and my LLMD said too, Lyme can really affect your thyroid.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Melanie - I don't think high rT3 alone represents Graves. rT3 is the body putting on the brakes when thyroid is overactive. What were your T3 and T4 and TSH? Heart palps, shortness of breath? Sounds like a piece of the puzzle is missing.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Yes, heart palps, SOB, nausea, severe cramps, fever, tremor, edema, chills, etc., etc. And I have been an absolute bear to those I love. SO not me.

Free T3-2.85
Free T4-1.7
TSH-1.05
Reverse T3-31.9
Anti TG-<32
Anti TPO-<14

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Melanie, interesting. The Free T4 is not high as I understand. Mine was over 5.

Free T4 is high normal, but normal.

TSH is a little low but not terribly.

My reverse T3 at this stage was 71.

Doesn't look like Grave's disease from what I understand.

Do you have an LL doctor working with you on this?

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Yes My Dear...I am working with doc G. And she is suggesting an approach that we first go after the babs which seems to be flaring right now, then after bart (new stiations, etc). In the meantime, we are trying to check my adrenals, possible hypoglycemia and focus on detoxing.

When the adrenal info comes back, then we will see more clearly IF I need to fill the Armour Rx or not.

Thanks for your help Scott, I really do appreciate your input.

M

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Great. It is interesting to me as you sound like you think you have hyperthyroid symptoms but the labs don't appear to be too bad from what I understand. Maybe I need to get reading a bit more but I have not heard of Armour for hyperthyroid. Interesting. Hope the next labs shed some light and that you start feeling better!

Best

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Well...you know how labs results are, right? We both believe that we should operate on symptoms above labs. And my symptoms do point to hyperthyroid...so something is amiss.

I'm sure that you are more well read on this than I am. That is why I was seeking more clarification.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bet is when the babs is treated properly...

The thyroid readings and/or you will improve significantly. Even without thyroid treatment the problems should improve.

Seen it happen dear Melanie, seen it happen.

Hope you are in that category... otherwise we will have a blithering bozo bumpkin bear on our hands.

[Big Grin]

PS..

Did you note this part.. mentioned above on your list?

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol7num1/NYUcases/myxedema/chung.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Hey Sugar,
Yes...we are placing much hope on the babs treatment again! Hey, I just read that link, and am sorry, but am not sure what I was supposed to specifically take away from it...would you mind explaining, please?

capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, Where do you buy the WTSMed ThyroCalm PX??

I hope someone reads this...please...I have many of these hyperthyroid symptoms. So scared as am so sick and getting worse. Bad episode yesterday after trying salt and C protocol. Vision blurred, shaking, shin pain...didn't feel like a herx. I have nodules on my thyroid right sided same as my symptoms. radioactiove uptake did show hyperthyroid but doc did nothing as T3 was a bit low. Please help. I don't know what to do. Such ringing in my head and music on the right side same as the nodules. Are symptoms really the same as bartonella?? Maybe that's why I haven't gotten better just worse with treatments??

[ 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: capebite ]

Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement