LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adding Bactrim???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adding Bactrim???
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd is having me add bactrim to my amoxy tx. I take 3gm of amoxy a day now. Has anyone had much luck or any info on bactrim? I did a search but didn't find much from recent....Thanks, Rich
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Bactrim along with Malarone and Zithromax, I gotta say, I love Bactrim almost as much as Malarone because it did help me.

I think Charlie here knows a lot about Bactrim he has a lot of posts on it.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Bactrim (also called Septra) about 3 weeks ago. If you do a search using Charlie's member number (25) you'll find lots of info.

Thus far, I like it. I did have a herx, which lasted almost a week, but since then I can see definite improvements.

Drink lots of water with it, it can cause kidney stones... and of course, if you're allergic to sulfa drugs it's a no-no.

Other than that, it looks very promising.

Just curious - what co-infection are you specifically going after with the Bactrim?

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great drug!!

It really helped my fight against babs.

Just remember to drink A LOT of water!!

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep Bactrim helped me alot--
I herxed big time when I first started
taking it -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on bacrtim/zith for bart/babs and of course lyme-lots of herx's but doing better
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....oops everybody beat me to it.

If you can tolerate sulfa you may be real pleasantly surprised.

It was a lifesaver to the two lymies in this household and it seems to treat babs too...

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Charlie, you are the Bactrim superstar these days!

Thanks for all the hope you've been giving us.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaWolf
Member # 10578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started this about two weeks ago and I love it! [Smile]

--------------------
~Ro~

Don't wait for someone to take you under their wing. Find a good wing and climb up underneath it~ Frank C. Bucaro

Posts: 80 | From Desert Southwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle108
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter started Bactrim the second month of treatment...added it to Zith...then added Artinisin. SHe has Babs and Bart. I can't say she seems much better, but I am still sort of stymied on how to tell a herx from a tresatment that just isn't working...or isnt working yet
Posts: 217 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. It is encouraging to hear good things about a tx. Usually when I am starting a new abx I hear mostly bad stuff. As far as what the llmd is targeting. He is thinking babs since alot of my symptoms haven't gotten better with lyme targeting abx only. He said that the bactrim will help across the board. Thnks again.
Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Bactrim and Tindamax for 3 months now and the right knee pain is finally going away I also herxed the first month pretty heavey but good the next two months.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any thoughts on whether adding Bactrim to Malarone plus Zith would revive the effectiveness of the Malarone, if it feels like you're starting to plateau?

I think I remember that it's best not to stop and start Malarone--is that right?

Aviva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

You might want to start a new thread for your question, this is a pretty old post.

I tried bactrim but I don't think my body liked it.

Good luck, Rich

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it with assorted abxs over about 7 months and I herxed the first 4 so it deffinatley gets at something. Although I read sulfa drugs arnt suppose to get at Bb I think it does after a long enough period, because the way bactrim works.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took a longterm chronic Lymie local into full remission (after 9 months Iv RocephiN and then maintenance orals for a year she went on Bactrim and BOOM)!!! she was in full remission very soon- and yes- seems to have action against Babesiosis too- for her anyway-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jmo
Member # 13141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Bactrim along with Malarone and Art to treat babs. I'm seeing much improvement... It seems to be the one that is finally working!
Posts: 45 | From MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement