LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia Questions
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some questions about Babesia. I tested negative for all coinfections through quest. I am still worried about Babs as I have many of the symptoms.

For those of you that have tested positive, did you have Hemolytic anemia and other suspicious lab tests?

I am just wondering if you can have normal cbc/chem panels and still have babs? All my routine labs have been normal.

Any info is appreciated.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Melissa,

I tested postive for Babesia with the FISH test at IGeneX and I am anemic, my son is also anemic, but had negative test for Babesia.

I don't know the answer to your question..my guess is..(and I am not a doc) that it is very possible to have normal labs. I hope others will reply who know for certain.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Mellisa,

My ferritin level is low...before I got diagnosed with Lyme another Doctor thought that

anemia was my problem....I started taking liquid iron and tested about 6 months

later and my ferritin levels were even LOWER!Stumped the doc......now I assume the babesia was enjoying a HUGE feast...

I got the Babesia panel from IGenex and it all came back neg....my Lyme doc thinks I have it anyways from my symptoms...

babesia comes out during the full moon...a good time to really blast the buggers...says my doctor... I'm taking Artemisinin, Red Root, Bonset Tea, and Mepron...for Babs...have not started Mepron yet...don't like the look of the liquid, but gonna try it I guess....

hope this helped....

much love, fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm anemic, tested negative for babs, but my doctor still thinks I have it. Not sure..

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LuLu,

Do you sweat a lot?
Stiff neck or back?

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pretty much had normal lab tests and this was when I was at my sickest. I tested neg. for all co-infections, but do have babs. My opinion is

if you think you have it and are showing symptoms then you probably do. For my experience the tests are not very good. The best way to find out is treat for it. When I started

malarone I herxed really bad. If your llmd won't treat you for it then find someone who will. You won't get better until it is gone,

and it can be tough to get rid of.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can anyone give me an idea of the differences between bart symptoms and babs symptoms...please!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KauaiGoddess:
have not started Mepron yet...don't like the look of the liquid, but gonna try it I guess....

You don't like the look of it? Just wait till you TASTE it!!! [lol]

I always test normal for hemoglobin ... but I've always supplemented with iron because it made me feel better, so I don't know what those tests would show with no iron.

I tested negative for babs, but have night sweats, air hunger and heart palps, so got a clinical diagnosis.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Julz,

This is a Bart symptom list by Liz:

"The symptoms can be interchangeable with Lyme, and even worse, they can be partially suppressed by Lyme drugs".

Without any treatment, bart begins as a relapsing fever that has neurological side effects:
disorientation,
mood changes,
difficulty with reading,
concentration,
mild attention deficit disorder.

As it progresses, you get
splitting headaches,
swollen lymph nodes,
sore throats,
shin splints,
body aches,
severe neurological disturbances,
severe ADD,
insomnia,
extreme fatigue,
scratchy eyes,
thyroid problems,
blood seeping continuously from your nose, and eventually psychosis. Yes, you read that right.

Here is the Babesia symptom list by Tincup...I think Alig is working on a new one?

Babesiosis symptoms include:

Fatigue *
Arthralgias*
Myalgia*
Drenching sweats*
Headaches*
Emotional lability*
Depression*
Dark urine*
Splenomegaly*
Dizziness*
Nausea and vomiting*
Cough* Dyspnea*
Fever* Chills*
Hepatosplenomegaly*
Jaundice*
Malaise*
Shortness of breath*
Bleeding tendencies, bruising*
Thrombocytopenia*
Hemoglobinuria*
Hyperesthesia*
Pulmonary edema*
Encephalopathy*
Low to normal range leukocyte counts*
Possible elevated levels of
dehydrogenase, bilirubin, transaminase* Anorexia***

Approximately 25%- 66% of Babesia patients are known to be co-infected with Lyme disease. These symptoms may continue for long periods of time, decrease, then return. A low Babesiosis titer (IgG) often indicates a chronic infection.

An acute or current infection may show a higher reading on the IgM test initially. There are over 100 species of Babesia in the United States but only ONE or TWO species are currently checked by commercial labs.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyones help. I find it very confusing to differentiate Lyme symptoms from all the rest! Gosh I have a lot of bart symptoms too. My LLMD does not focus on coinfections very much, plus I tested negative.

I might ask my primary to test me again for coinfections this week. If I have been on meds for several months for Lyme (currently Biaxin and Plaq) will it make the Co's easier to find?

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Merry,

Those tests for co-infections just aren't that accurate.

I had a negative Fish via Igenex. You should have seen the babs herx I have had on malarone.

Trust your instinct and your LLMD.

I had so many babesia and bartonella symptoms.

I know my LLMD didn't even bother to test me for bartonella....just treated for it.

Hang in there.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been always negative for babs (Igenex,MDL,FISH) despite having all the sx. Regular blodwork normal also.But always have been doing great once I'm treated...remember there is I think 13 strain of babs and only test for 2 or 3 strains currently.
My strain is one that doens't have a test

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Beverly,

Thanks very much for the list of symptoms for Babs and Bart...

Merry,

I am also currently taking Biaxin and Plaq. Do you take anything else?

I test positive for Lyme...even according to CDC standards..but always test neg for co's...even though I have all the symptoms...definitely a postive clinical dx, and (I guess) I do tx for everything, because I have been on tx for 2and a half years now...and sorry to say still really sick! I have had lots of ups and downs...this past year since my (best, Dr. B) LLMD closed his practice been on a big down. Still hoping for a miracle!!!

Thanks for everyone's input...it really helps keep the faith!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

It is so crazy we have to deal with all this BS about bad tests and all the rest.

I really dont know if my llmd will tx me for co's. Not too sure. I may ask my PCP/ID doc to test me again. He is not willing to tx me on a clinical diagnosis.

I just find it hard to believe I only have Lyme. what is the percentage of people with TBI that only have Lyme?

To those of you who were anemic, how anemic are/were you? My Hematocrit is 36. Normal is 35+ at quest.

Julz- Those are the only Lyme/TBI meds I take. I take a bunch of other meds for the symptoms.

I am happy to share that with you if you want. I have only been on Biaxin and Plaq for one month. I have been in treatment for 5 months now.

Thanks everyone. Melissa

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I had VERY odd babesia symptoms, and would never have thought babesia was causing this based on what others say are the typical babesia symptoms as well as what the LLMD's say they are.

I had light sensitivity, I became VERY physically ill from light, I could not go anywhere near light because my heart would race, my throat would swell, I would shake and most likely would have

DIED had I been exposed to light for too long. My LLMD thought because I started to get WORSE while in lyme treatment and had never been treated for babesia, that we should try treating it.

I also started to get EMF sensitive, very very sensitive. NO TV because of babesia, and minimal computer because of babesia.

So once treating babesia, I could watch TV again, and slowly light started to get better.
However still had to treat lyme later to help with light, but it was the babesia that had to be treated to get the light better.

It has been simply a horrid nightmare because NO one knew what was causing what.

I was told that Babesia hides the lyme, this is true, for me, once the babesia was killed, I then herxed much much more on lyme antibiotics.

SO, be aware not your typical symptoms can cause some of these coinfections, Dr B writes about this, not your typical symptoms can be present when multi tick infections are in you.

Happened to me.

I then had to treat lyme after. I was SO sick, I repeat so sick, and believe woudl have died because of the combo of Lyme and babesia.

extremely ill from babesia and lyme.
and it was from my own researching on here and with the LLMD that I am alive.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trish, it's sooo funny that you mention the EMF sensitivity due to babs. I start to realize I'm much less sensitive again, and true, it seems my babs IS GONE again. Could it be a coincidence? Thanks for saying, I'll write this down.

Hopefully I won't get babs again, a 3rd time will be too much!! But just in case...

I got sick with babs twice, and twice I had your same symptoms: light sensitivity, strong that I puke with light (worst was sun light, but it could have been even artificial light).

Everything is now past.

Babs do cause very bad symptoms, it does make you feel sick, crap, tired, foggy etc. Borrelia doesn't do that to the extent babs did to me.

It also happened to me twice: borrelia surfaced once babs was knocked down. This time, I even got an EM rash the exact time I stopped babs treatment after I got symptomless.

I never got an EM rash so far from a tick bite, that was a real proof of borrelia coming up again, like it was taking place from babs.

Now I'm treating borrelia cysts, I guess I don't have many active borrelia for the moment. And now fungi are coming up!!

It's a real ballet of critters!

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melissa, why waiting for these unprecise tests??

Just treat the babs. If you start feeling better (or worse, due to herxes!!), you'll know it.

I never had any positive tests. I knew it was babs (or anything like malaria) when I took Riamet and felt better almost immediately, after a huge night sweat and explosions in my head. 3 days later I was another person, 4 months of constant night sweats just vanished.

It was Riamet that convinced me I had a parasite that reacted with antimalarials, which I assumed, babesia!

It came back after that, again and again. But I knew I had it!!

Babs' die-off cause awful herxes. I mean, AWFUL. You'll probably know if you have the critter after taking babs' killers.

If you have to wait a lot to get positives to treat, you may wait forever.

Just my opinion of course!
Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am treating babs-and noticing after 4 months my symptoms are changing-do you think it is because my lyme symptoms are coming out, now that babs is knocked down?
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of 4 Babs tests - 2 pos. Only 2 were the FISH from IgeneX (1 was when 1st diagnosed - neg - maybe from LabCorp)1 Pos from Bowen -Then a pos from FISH - then later (most recent) during a relapse - a neg from IgeneX FISH. Luckily LLMD treated clinically & much improvement. Now starting Bruhner's route. Need to feel like I'm in charge of length of TX - sick of relapsing.

My bloodwork always comes back OK. I do not take iron in my vitamins - mostly cuz I hate the taste of it all day long.

Hardly ever sweats - but ALWAYS chills. Unless it's 90* I'm freezing. Funny thing - I'm warm for 1st time in long time by doing Ginsing & Gota Kola along w/ resvinatrol.

My feet which were always freezing cold are warm as toast now - my legs stopped aching 24/7.

Still have light sensitivity - but not to the extreme.

But-I have noticed some old Lyme symp's coming back to visit- that crunchy neck has made a rebound - haven't had that in several yrs. So I think the theory is correct that as u treat babs the lyme comes back out somewhat.

As bad as herxes are - it's great that we have them as a litness test. They give us information!

My typical Babs slamming goes like this - terrible herx the whole time (reguardless of if it's mepron, larium, or malarone) w/ tons of vertigo, jaw pain, and extremely tired (to the point of non-functioning.) Within a few weeks of stopping RX - MUCH overall improvement.

FYI in my personal experience - most tired on mepron/zith; worst headache on larium; easiest to tolerate, malarone;

I'm starting the crypto stuff Buhner recommends in a few weeks...Hope it's not as harsh as the rest, but I guess I'll soon know! [Eek!]

Let your body be your guide!

(((hug))) ~Cindy~

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noreen
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Noreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question. My LLMD is currently treating me for Lyme with 2 abx, plus I'm on something (can't remember off hand) for a 1 month trial for micoplasma pneumonia, then I go on Mepron for a month, because she believes I might have Babesia (waiting for Igenex results). My question is this. I've been on the abx for about 3 months, and nothing is changing. I MAY be getting worse, but hard to tell since I've been in pain for so long, I can't remember a "starting date" of the higher pain levels. I know the first day I went to LLMD I was suffering from high pain level. ANYWAY, my question is, should I be starting to feel any better after 3 months of abx? The mico drug hasn't seemed to change anything either. And then the Mepron... she has me on it for one month to start... once I start it, should I start noticing a difference quickly if it's working? And is it something you need to take for an extended period without any breaks?
Posts: 10 | From Lynchburg, VA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noreen

Unfortunately 3 months is a drop in the bucket. As far as treating mycoplasma, you can look at www.roadback.org a website for people with autoimmune disease. They believe that many autoimmune diseases are caused by mycoplasma and are treating with minocin and other antibiotics.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement