LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Just finished abx for babs but still feel horrible

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just finished abx for babs but still feel horrible
hatpianka
Member # 12244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatpianka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,

I just finished my 3 weeks of zith/mepron for babs (following weeks on doxy for Lyme), and my LLMD thought that this would be enough to kill the buggers, but I still feel horrible.

If I'm still herxing, does that mean I shouldn't stop the abx? I literally just took the last dose of mepron, but I'm still exhausted, my joint pain has returned in full force over the last few days (after having finished the zith about 3 days ago), still sweating, experiencing earaches, very sore muscles, air hunger, sensitivity to the touch, brain fog, and a low grade fever.

Should I call my LLMD now or wait a week to see how I feel then? I don't know if I should wait to see how I feel when I'm off of the meds or not, I'm just confused and frustrated.

Also, what is the book on babs called so I can find it?

Thanks, all.
Take care,
hatpianka

Posts: 97 | From Clinton, CT | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three weeks of mepron/zith will very likely NOT be enough.

I'd call the LLMD.

I'll PM the info on the book.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my son was seeing Dr. B. we were told a minimum of 5 months for babs treatment.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just finished my first three weeks of Mepron and I'm herxing, so that could be part of the reason you feel lousy.

However, I agree that only three weeks is not the normal treatment length for Babs. I would call your LLMD ASAP, rather than waiting. You don't want to stop when it's only been partially treated.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs herxing is tough.

I'm on week 7 of Malarone and Biaxin. Still herxing, although not as severe as week 3.

If you stop the treatment, you will stop herxing. So don't be surprised if you feel better in a few days. Altough that sounds nice, it's not good to leave the bugs in your system.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatpianka
Member # 12244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatpianka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your feedback.

I just made an appointment with my LLMD for Friday morning.

I also just ordered the book and I look forward to reading.

I'm disappointed that it takes so long to treat this, but I'll do whatever it takes to feel better.

Posts: 97 | From Clinton, CT | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on babs treatment for 7 months and it's not quite gone. It does take a long time.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on babs meds for over a year.

This is a hard bug to kill, and I don't think 3 weeks is enough.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia lives in the red blood cells. According to the babesia book, one reason that it takes so long is because you have to wait for the red blood cells to be replaced, otherwise they will keep infecting. That takes 4 months but in the book it say's 5 months min since Dr. B. often still sees symptoms even after 4 months of treatment.

I've read that many people on this forum have had relapses even with longer treatment times.

I'm on mepron and zithromax. I've had 6 weeks at full dose, another 3 weeks at 1/2 dose and 2 months of low dose malarone and I'm sure I will be on mepron for many more months. I'm still having considerable symptoms.

Good luck,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locdog
Member # 10372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for locdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on mep and zith for almost 5 months now and the resolution of symptoms has been slow but apparent and my doc says 7-12months depending on length of time infected maybe even longer.
But good news is I feel MUCH better than i did 5 months ago when i started and that was after 6 months of doxy treatment. So I have hope in me that this will be resolved in the end!

Posts: 40 | From AZ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs is one tough bug to kick. I've been on continuous babs treatment for almost 2 years. Still herxing, and it's still hanging on. I have had a very slow improvement, though. I would definitely ask for babs abx until you feel you aren't herxing. Good luck!
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Mepron two YEARS and Artemisia the last year of that-~!!!

I only know ONE person locally who kicked Babs with one month of Mepron!! Just one!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently found out I am Babs-free! I began treatment in June and found out it was gone at the end of August--so it's possible to kick it in a couple months, though I realize I was really lucky.

I also took high doses of mepron--3 tsp a day, and for a week or so I did 4-5 tsps.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement