LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lipomas spreading -- anything work besides surgery?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lipomas spreading -- anything work besides surgery?
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi -- I have unencapsulated lipomas(fatty tissue tumors)in both legs now and they are growing. I'm assuming this is a Lyme-related condition.

Has anyone else found that anything reduces them besides surgery? I had surgery on one two years ago and it just kept growing.

Seems to me there should be some way to tackle this growth in fatty tissues. Does anyone know the science of this condition? Seems like it would really help to know what's causing it and then to consider how to counter it.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See no responses...so does anyone here ever get lipomas?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not yet, sorry.

But, I know there have been several threads about it, if you have not tried the search, it may bring up something.

I dont remember much about the posts, though......

Big help, huh?

Just didn't want you to think you were calling out in an empty room here!

North.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
See no responses...so does anyone here ever get lipomas?

I don't, but maybe telling you about my bird will give you ideas ...

Our bird has a couple fatty deposits on her chest. Her beak also grew larger than it should. The vet said it was due to her liver function, so she's on liver meds.

I don't know if it's the same in humans, but I do know I tend to trust vets more than most ducks. [Smile]

Have you had your liver tested lately?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get alot of them. I was wondering what to do about it..
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I got one on my lower leg. I thought it was because of slightly poor circulation in that leg, due to a seemingly damaged vein or something, which causes the leg to get a bit stiff and edemic if I sit on a hard chair and stay at the computer too long without walking around. I hadn't imagined a lyme connection --- maybe because of vasculitis? the damaged vein or whatever was weakened by lyme?
Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Finally a little action here...

North, thx for checking in...re your "not yet", don't rush...

6goofy, so how's the bird doing? and how long have you had it on liver med? And how do you test for liver function? I know it's a very busy organ...

Polar, wondering if you had the lumps pre or post lyme? That is, if you know when your Lyme began...

Pam, don't know about your Q re poor circulation. I know Lymies have poor circulation in general due to hypercoagulation plus probably some other mischemistries, but obviously everyone doesn't get lipomas or else we'd have zillions of responses here...

Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My exhusband had numerous lipomas, had several surgeries to remove them. He kept getting more.
I am so sorry to hear that you have this on top of Lyme (I think he has lyme also)

Have you noticed that they get bigger if you gain weight? Just curious. Maybe something to help the body break down the fat, lecithin (sp?) or www.lipoflow.com products, call and speak to them about this.

Have you ever sent one off to Igenex for testing, that would be very interesting. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wxrock
Member # 13039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wxrock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had a large lipoma removed from under my arm...it was 4" x 3" x 2" deep. I do believe their is a connetion with lipoma, but I know of no documented proof (just anecodotal). Several other folks on this forum have had similar lipomas....they have suggested mangosteen juice (available at GNC). I have not yet tried this, but may.
Posts: 40 | From Lancaster PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haven't a clue -
I was going to post right after you started this-but I was afraid to get your hopes up for an answer when I had none-just a [hi] and a [group hug] .

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin, we don't know how the bird is doing yet as she just started the meds this week. The vet didn't seem to think there would be any future problems.

He also said, and this is very interesting, that heavy metal toxicity could be contributing to the problem as well! I know that's a problem common amongst Lymies!

We had aluminum toys in her cage ... so I'm sure he's right about that one.

I have my liver tested monthly by blood test. I was herxing so hubby took the bird to the vet ... I think the vet did a stool test.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey ya Robin, I have no human story, just dogs. I recognized "lipoma" because a lot of dogs that I've seen who have had these fatty tissue tumors, are also older dogs. Not one dog have I encountered who has had a lipoma (most have more than one) who hass not been an older dog.

How old are you? Just kidding. I don't know if you're in the young or old category, but in relation to vet medicine as well, every dog owner I've ever talked to, who has had their dogs lipomas taken off/removed, have reported that more grow back.

The older the dog, the longer the lipoma has been on the body, the bigger the lipomas got. Never failed, they always grew bigger.

A lot of dog owners only removed the lipomas at their vets advice because the lipoma was in an area that impeded movement, like under a leg (armpit area).

So, if there is a relation to lipomas in humans and lipomas in dogs, there is a definite correlation in that they both are benign, they both get bigger, and they both come back, even when removed, if not in the same area, then in another area of the body.

Sorry, just some info that kinda relates to what you are going thru. If you are really curious, and either have an animal, or know of a decent vet, you could get their opinion of a lipoma?

I have to agree, veterinarians are up on a lot of things, and sometimes I see it surpass human docs.

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be the exception that proves the rule. When I first got Lyme, I gained 46 lbs. in 2 months. I starved myself until I lost it all, then slowly put it back on over the course of a year.

It was while I was putting the weight back on that I developed massive numbers of tiny lipomas on my stomach and my thighs. I even had one biopsied to be sure it was benign. I was about 37 yrs. old at that time.

Today, almost 20 yrs. later, my thighs are made up almost entirely of these tiny lipomas. Mine have not grown at all, but they make cellulite look like a minor problem by comparison.

I have had every type of metals and metals challenge testing and it has all come up well within normal range, ie. very low.

I have no idea what to do about the lipomas, but unfortunately, I have had so many other serious problems from Lyme that I've not had much time to think about it.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

HI all -- thx for responding --

Littlesprout -- don't think this is tied to wgt gain. That happened due to Lyme long before the lumps showed up. Re breakdown of fat, I have heard discussion of enzymes, like lipase, bromelain, Vitalzyme product. Haven't tried anything yet.

Interesting idea, Igenex checking the tissue. I think I'll call them and put the question to them about this matter.

There is a doctor in San Diego, an endocrinologist, who is trying to solve the lipoma mystery. I think I can say her name here since she is not a Lyme-treating doctor. Dr. Karen Herbst at the San Diego VA is studying lipoma biopsies in the hopes of solving the lipoma mystery.

I sent her a tissue sample from my lipoma excision but she did not find any spirochetes in the sample. Wouldn't that make news if she had?!

Wx -- 2" deep? That sounds big. Encapsulated or unencapsulated? How are you doing?
Also, I imagine there was no imaging -- usually there is no effective imaging for these -- the surgeon has to go in there and get 'em.

I read that one person was taking lipase after a large lipoma excision and it seemed to help decrease fluid build-up.

Thx, Cob -- hi to you too --

6goofy -- hm to heavy metal toxicity -- sure wish they could just find the heavy metals in this tissue then.

Re interesting cause ideas: one person with Lyme I know worked at a cyclotron. He has lipomas on his arm and abdomen that line up with the angle of the radiation beam of the cyclotron!

Another: prisoners at a state prison near Marion (not sure if it's in Indiana or Illinois) have lipomas, and there's a toxic waste dump nearby.

Julie -- hey, that must make me an old dog then, or maybe still middle-aged? I'm in my early 50s. So what happens to all these poor dogs then? Looks like they need a rescue too.

Klutzo -- do you itch where the lumps are? That usually happens if they're growing. I don't
know if what you have sounds like lipomas or some other cellulite condition.

Does anyone have anymore info on how fat tissue gets messed up? As in things ending up there that are not supposed to be there, or the genetics getting interfered with?

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Robin,
To answer your question, no, mine do not itch at all and never have. The biopsy showed they are definitely lipomas. It left a really large, ugly scar, so I'd advise anyone having one biopsied to insist they biopsy one in an area that does not show, if you have a lot of them like I do.

I would like to add that I have taken massive amounts of enzyme tablets that include bromelain and papain for over a decade now, plus nattokinase for my heart, for a couple of years, and it has not decreased the numbers of lipomas, but they have not grown, so maybe that does help, I don't know. I was not taking them for that reason (I can't digest food without them).

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Klutzo, that's an interesting question as to whether taking those enzymes has helped, because you report that your lipomas have not grown. That's a good sign.

There's got to be a biochemical answer to this mystery. It wil involve how fat is affected. By dysfunctional hormones/storage of toxic chemicals/free radicals damaging DNA/lack of enzymes for needed functioning -- it's only guessing at this point.

Do we have any more info on how Lyme affects fat?

jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So thats what is on the underside of my bicep! It's soft and moveable hasn't grown in size.Should I be worried, my liver enzymes are always a peoblem. Too high.
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement