LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Blood Pressure - How Low is Too Low?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood Pressure - How Low is Too Low?
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have blood pressure on the lower side. I've recently started zanaflex, which can lower your bp.

Now that I've started taking zanaflex in the morning, not just night, my bp has dropped. It's hovering around 90/55.

Is there a point where it gets too low? I'm tired, and a little light headed. But I've had much more intense dizzy symptoms in the past when my bp has been higher.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine has been as low as 75/55 ... didn't leave the house when it got that low!! Felt like I could pass out any minute!!

Mine is frequently in the 90/60 range....if it's over 100 I consider it a success!

But I'm with you.....HOW LOW IS TOO LOW!? I always wondered that myself!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does zanaflex compare to this??

http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Zyflamend

Same ingredients??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know ... mine has always been around 90/55 ... doctors and nurses would always tell me how good that is ... but I believe low blood pressure can be as bad as high!

It's a little higher now. I usually get that top number above 100. I started eating more salt and it helped a lot.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
How does zanaflex compare to this??

http://www.vitacost.com/New-Chapter-Zyflamend

Same ingredients??

Two completely different things. Zanaflex is a drug. It's a muscle relaxer/antispasmodic that works on the nervous system.

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek, I was just about to post on this topic of extremely low blood pressure!

Because my BP was recorded last week at below 90/50 when I visited my GP office. I have been dizzy all last week when I stand up, I need to hold onto chairs and walls. It passes pretty quickly.

Normally, I am low but more like 100/60 or 100/70. I started to drink more water and use a bit of salt on food. That seems to help.

Normal low range is considered to start at 90/60. But anything lower than that, according to my GP's office, is below normal range.

I am taking bicillin, mino, and plaquenil. I wonder if any of these lower BP??

You might try drinking a bit more fluids and adding a bit of salt to foods, see if that helps...Take care.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
]Two completely different things. Zanaflex is a drug. It's a muscle relaxer/antispasmodic that works on the nervous system.

Thanks for the info!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aniek,

i went to NIH'S MEDICAL LIBRARY below, but was surprised it had NO NUMBERS shown at all!

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lowbloodpressure.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also suffered from low BP a long as I can remember. I was finally dx'd with having Neurally Mediated Hypotension, a form of dysautonomia.

If your low BP is causing increased fatigue, difficulty standing, dizziness, etc., then in my opinion it is too low.

There are ways to address this both with meds, which I need due to the severity of mine, or without.

Many people are able to simply increase their salt intake and add fluids and get theirs to a functional level.

I use midodrine (generic ProAmatine), fludrocortisone( generic Florinef) and Inderal, to maintain my BP at a higher level and allow me to be able to stand up and walk short distances.

I still use electric carts when I shop and make other accommodations to limit my time on my feet.

One thing that really helps me is keeping my knees above my hips. This prevents the blood from pooling in my feet. I have foot stools around my house and carry a small collapsible one in my purse.

There are many threads about this topic on Lymenet, so I would suggest doing a search on NMH or dysautonomia, or even POTS and you will find a lot of info right here, as well as some good links.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's different from person to person what is too low. When you feel bad then it's too low.

Mine is always around 90/65 but sometimes I reach like 105/70. I don't notice a difference when it's higher or lower in this range.

But recently it went down to 80/45. I felt very weak, nauseous and dizzy. I couldn't read anymore for two hours because I had white flashes and white spots in front of my eyes. I thought I was going to die. So I guess THIS was too low for me.

Take care,

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Thank you for all the responses. I used it as an excuse to eat McDonald's today. I figure if any food can raise your blood pressure, it's McDonalds. [Smile] Sad since I ventured out to buy Vitamin Water.

I just get so upset when I plan to be productive and have to spend the day on the couch. I really wanted to get cleaning done...

I'm wondering now if I should give up and pay somebody to come in one day and organize my apartment. I already pay somebody to do cleaning twice a month, but they don't put things away, just do the mopping, scrubbing, etc.

--------------------

northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AANNNIIIIIEEEEEEEK !!!!

Must be the weather.....I was thinking about a Whopper Jr. the other day!

But, please, quick quick......have you checked your bp since eating it? Did it help?

Sometimes medicine is food, ya know! Would love to get some BKing fries one day!

Let us know....I have low bp too......really! (I'm a 90/56-62)

North.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been having problems with getting dizzy when getting up fast,

As well as a very heavy feeling in my arms and legs.

Sensation of waves of dizziness that would start at the top of my head and move down.

At my June LLMD's appt. found out my pressure was in the 60's over the 40's.

I was also having heart palpatations, missed beats, etc.

Adrenal function was low. Put on low dose of cortef (2.5mg a day). It helped a lot.

My July visit, my pressure was 92/48. Still not high enough.

Cortisol levels continued to be low. Cortef increased to 5mg a day.

I checked mine the other day at a local store after pushing a basket with kids in it,

And chasing them off of the blood pressure machine.

It was 100/71. Better, I guess, but prior to Lyme and co-infections I was normally

Anywhere from 120/80 to 117/75. Never low like now.

I again am starting with the heavy leg, dizziness thing.

I am hoping this gets better when I can get to aggressive Lyme treatment.

You would think having two children fighting all day long would raise my pressure through the roof!

(it sure feels like it sometimes)

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Up to 100/70. I can't say it was the food, although I do actually need more fat in my diet along with the salt.

It could be the Zanaflex wearing off. And I'm still too weak to do any cleaning. I'm now drinking my Smart Water.

--------------------

Aniek
Member # 5374

I'm back down to 100/60, but I'm feeling better as the Zanaflex wears off. Of course, my back now hurts.

I finally found a medicine to relax my back muscles, and it lowers my bp! I hate this constant balancing act we have to do.

I'm already on supplements aimed at raising my bp, including licorice. My bp had been at good levels, about 110/70 for a few months now. But I'm trying to find a way not to take vicodin every day.

If Zanaflex will keep me off the vicodin, I want to be on Zanaflex. But I don't want to have to add another med to raise my bp.

Anybody else just want to be healthy and normal?!?

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, does that Smart Water help with all the Lyme brain issues????

Geneal, when I was pregnant, if I'd go to my ob check up with the kids, my blood pressure would be about 100/70, if I went alone it would be about 90/55!!! Kids do raise your blood pressure!! I'm willing to loan out my teenage son for those of you with dangerously low blood pressure!

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooo, you cant win somedays!

Have you tried cranio-sacral therapy? (I know you have trouble with acupuncture).

I just went through a spell of lower back ache, and it was the fluid from brain to tail that was inflamed/swollen. I use a chiro who does soft tissue work...not bone crunches. Helps immensely.

Also, someone here just bought an infrared heat pad, but have not heard a report on its helpfulness. Both of my acup. use infrared heaters on the body where the needles are.

When I had that spell, heat pads and traumeel barely made a dent. It was the chiro working me over that helped the most.

Wish you could find another acup. Just because your dr. gave their names does not mean there is not a better one out there.

I have used 4 acup. over the years. One was a bull dog, gads. The latest are both good in results, but one uses Japanese method. The needle insertions are barely perceptable.

The other uses Chinese....ouch ouch, but great effects.

The each do something different, and I cant figure out what the difference is.

I do know I have hand some temporary pain, as the blocked energy was released, but it would dissipate.

But this was not the type of pain you experienced, though.

Anyway, glad you feel more energetic, but sorry about the back pain.

Six: HAHA HA HA.....I have already paid my dues, thank you!
Maybe that is why my low blood pressure is like a vacation for me?

North.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Six - I don't think you want those of us with low bp to take care of your kids. Who knows what danger they would find themselves in while we are on the couch unable to move.

Northstar- I have not tried cranosacral therapy. I'll add it to my list. But I've got a lot coming up. I was supposed to restart physical therapy last week, but it got postponed a month because the therapist was sick.

I'm also starting work with a psychologist who specializes in pain coping techniques.

I know what I really, really need is to be back on full force abx. I have an LLMD appointment this week, she's been nervous about whether I can handle heavy abx right now, but I think I need to push her.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
I figure if any food can raise your blood pressure, it's McDonalds. [Smile] Sad since I ventured out to buy Vitamin Water.

Sad, huh!? [lol]

I take Flexeril at night, which helps keep my sciatica in check and improves my sleep. Maybe you could take the Zanaflex then??

Of course, you would be in more pain during the day. For me, since I'm taking mangosteen, the pain is covered during the day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Aniek
Member # 5374

Lymetoo,

I've been taking the Zanaflex at night for a few weeks. My blood pressure didn't seem to drop from it, at least not during the day. My pain doctor wanted me to take 1/2 my night dose in the morning and then move up to another 1/2 dose in the early evening.

I'm thinking I'll cut the pill in half tomorrow, it's scored. Take 1mg instead of 2mg. Classes start tomorrow night, so I've got a loooooong day.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Six - I don't think you want those of us with low bp to take care of your kids. Who knows what danger they would find themselves in while we are on the couch unable to move.

No, no ... he's 17, and guaranteed to raise your blood pressure. [Wink] [Big Grin] My kids wait on me on my days on the couch. [Smile]

--------------------

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood pressure is always low as well.

It's normally around 90/50. Sometimes it's 80/40, and I've been told that that's not good at all.

I was told sea salt is supposed to help raise it, but I thought ALL salt raised it somewhat?

I wonder if lyme disease has anything to do with lowering blood pressure?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told by several MD's that 120/80 is just a number to try to not go over, but it's fine to be lower I am around 100/65 and they say that is good. I am 5' 11" and weight 160lbs, no fat.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:

Oh yes. I think babs is often the cause of low BP.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
Originally posted by disturbedme:

Oh yes. I think babs is often the cause of low BP.
This raises an interesting phenomenom for me.
As my lyme disease symptoms decrease my babs symptoms increase. And my BP is dropping from just above 100 to less than 100 .

Carol

AmandaPI
Member # 5587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaPI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My BP has always been very low. At the lowest, it was 50/35. Usually when someone is taking it I warn them because they think the machine is not working and after trying twice they take it manually.

I suspect that LD is the root of this problems although Zanaflex could be contributing. You might try Soma, Flexeril or one of the other muscle relaxants.

I think that the greatest danger with low BP is fainting and becoming injured, although accupuncturists consider low BP unhealthy as well as high.

When my BP was so low I fainted several times, once herneating a disc in my neck and another time spliting open my eyebrow when I fell and hit the bathtub.

I have been told that salt, sea salt, salt tablets and drinking plenty of water can help. Also, make sure to stand up slowly to avoid passing out.

I hope that you get this resolved soon!

Amanda

Posts: 80 | From Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:
This raises an interesting phenomenom for me.
As my lyme disease symptoms decrease my babs symptoms increase. And my BP is dropping from just above 100 to less than 100 .

That's not unusual at all. Many do not think they have babs until the Lyme is being knocked down...then it surfaces.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have low blood pressure too, and ive been on zanaflex for about six months now.

I havent noticed my blood pressure being any lower or any low blood pressure symptoms.

I think i remember reading that zanaflex doesnt last that long in your system. Thats why if you take it at nite, you often have symptoms during the day.

It helps me sleep better and relaxes my muscles enough to let me sleep.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have labile high blood pressure, which my doctor feels is definitely caused by Lyme, because only one of the ten drugs we tried lowered it at all, and that is a drug that supresses the sympathetic nervous system, which is overactive in Lyme.

But, I was also told by my doctor that too low is not good either, and by low, he meant anything less than 100/60.

I was told that many professional athletes have very low BPs, because they are in such good shape, and that while low blood pressure helps protect from stroke, later on in life it results in much higher rates of congestive heart failure.

Only 5-30% of people are salt sensitive, mostly depending upon their race, so salt will not raise it for the others. Water will temporarily raise it. Drinking 16 oz. of water all at once can raise it as much as 40 pts. Sipping salt water all day long helps if you are salt sensitive, and drinking at least a quart of water per fifty pounds body weight daily helps by maintaining blood volume at a higher level.

Crossing your legs will raise it about ten points, which is why you should never do that while they are taking it in the doc's office. There are special compression stockings you can buy to raise it and help you stay upright without getting faint. Talking while they take it can also give a falsly high reading by about ten points.

A trick you can use to help keep from getting dizzy when standing up is to hold your stomach muscles in tightly when standing, which can often raise your pressure enough to keep you from feeling faint.

You can learn all sorts of tips for dealing with this by looking up dysautonomia + Vanderbilt, since Vanderbilt Univ. has done a lot of research on it. You can also look up "Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome" for more info, esp. if you know you have an MVP, like 75% of Lymies do.

I know how scary my symptoms are when my BP suddenly takes off into the stratosphere, my face turns beet red, and my heart starts pounding right out of my chest. I can imagine that such profound dizziness upon standing is just as scary for those of you with low pressure. Good luck to you all in finding help.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure a 17 year old could raise my pressure like my four and five year olds

Fighting on the floor of the LLMD's office.

However, if he can babysit, I will gladly take him off your hands for a while [Smile] .

Again, watch adrenal function as this has been part of my problem with low blood pressure.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal-are your "heavy leg" feeling from low blood pressure? I thought it was a symptom of babs?
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
68/55 was my lowest. But since I started taking Biaxin it has gone up to about 106/75 or so. Don't know for sure if the abx caused this.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Here is my update. My bp has not dropped again as low as it was on Monday. I think it was just adapting to the increased dose of Zanaflex. Low blood pressure is a side effect of Zanaflex, the pain doctor mentioned that.

I used to take Flexeril, but after ofer 2 years on it, I couldn't wake up in the mornings. Unlike with Flexeril, I actually wake up very well rested on Zanaflex.

I added an afternoon dose as well, and seem to be doing fine. I'm drinking lots and lots of water.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement