LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Teeth affected by Babesia and/or Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teeth affected by Babesia and/or Lyme?
cbb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read all the good info posted last week about painful teeth, but my problem is different.

Prior to Lyme, Babesia, and Bartonella, I had excellent teeth!!

Since TBDs, I've had what seems to be deterioration of my teeth, especially the enamel.
I've had part of the enamel break off, fillings fall out, teeth crack, crowns come off.

Occasionally, my teeth and gums throb.

Before I knew I had TBDs, had 2 root canals.
I've had to have a number of bridges and crowns.

I've had TBDs 25 -30 yrs,
diagnosed 15 yrs ago (1992),
treatment off and on since then.
The longest remission has been a couple years, but symptoms always seem to come back.
Dental problems - one of the worst for me to deal with.

Compared to most of you, my symptoms have been rather mild, but this is wearing me down.
I don't want to end up being a toothless ole lady!! [Eek!]

Presently, my Lyme and Babesia have flared up, and I think one or both may be the culprit.

Any helpful info?

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had that worse with bart. She doesn't get it nearly as much as last year.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting point.

I thought we had eliminated the Bartonella, but maybe it's still simmering along.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[hi] DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU.
EVERY LYMIE I KNOW IS HAVING MORE PROBLEMS WITH TEETH & GUMS EVER HAD.
ONE`S ON OR OFF TREATMENT.
I DREAM OF BEING TOOTHLESS.

WE NEED TO BE LIKE ONE OF THOSE ANIMALS WHEN LOOSE TOOTH NEW 1 ALWAYS GROWS BACK.
KNOW ONLY 2 PEOPLE THAT ARE ON THEIR 3RD SET.

LUCKY STIFFS
OUCH, BEST BECAREFUL WITH TERMS I USE???LOL

ALL SUDDEN ASKED FOR 1600 JUST TO CLEAN MY TEETH & I HAVE WENT EVERY 6 MO. THIS IS LAST VISIT.

NOT TO MENTION MY PAINFUL TOOTH HAVE AGAIN, WILL HAVE TO HAVE ORAL SURG. ON. JUST HAD ON OTHER SIDE.

GAVE ME OVER 10,000 EST. ON NO INCOME. THAT IS NOT EVEN DOING IT CORRECTLY??? YEASH......

GOOD LUCK, NONE PEOPLE I KNOW WHAT TO DO??
NO HELP FOR THAT EITHER....SIGH``````````` [cussing]

[group hug] TO ALL IN NEED...KERRY

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ccb

sorry to her about your teeth & gum pain [Frown]

Not sure if it's lyme or babs, maybe in some cases it could be a bit of both.

I don't have any links on this handy but firmly believe lyme can affect tissues & bones so it very well can effects our teeth & gums. I recently found some relief with sensodyne toothpaste.

Was told by my dentist it takes about a month to notice a difference. And it does help but did take aprox a month to work.

Hope you can find some relief soon [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had more pain in my teeth lately and I think it's due to allergies. I've had sinus and jaw pain.

I hope you find the solution soon. I no longer have dental insurance, so I'm having to save my 20's to see the DDS again!

I called and a complete exam with cleaning and X-rays is around $250! [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to add, that before my daughter was diagnosed, she had a couple of root canals. One reason being she was having night terrors and anxiety and she clenched her teeth so hard all her teeth have stress fractures.

We were frequently showing up at the dentist with jaw and tooth pain, but he couldn't find anything wrong with them.

After the diagnosis, we decided that it was a part of the disease, and we would monitor where the pain originated. Did it switch sides? Was it the whole jaw? (trigeminal nerve).

She hasn't had any more dental work since, and her teeth are fine.

So, my advice (for what it's worth), is to monitor the exact place where the pain is coming from, see if it travels, then wait it out a week. If it's still in the same place, see a dentist. And, I agree, use sensodyne or biotene tooth products.

We also tried oil pulling with sunflower oil to rid toxins. Not sure if it helped, but we thought it couldn't hurt.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had six root canals in twenty years....been sick with lymea and babs at least that long.

I've had one extractions, a failed bridge, two crowns broken off at the gum level, lots of cracked teeth...I'm a dentist with debt's dream patient.

I need to have another extraction from a broken crown, then have two implants done. Oh joy.

I wish I had realized that dentistry has such a high end for lyme patients many years ago! I could have gone to dental school!!!!!

I have a wonderful dentist who has had cancer so is extremely empathetic...also very skilled....now has a lovely cushion financially too...I don't begrudge him the income, just wish I didn't have to contribute to it so much!

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme's hard on everything, including teeth. Then there's secondary effects, too-- you don't feel much like brushing and flossing when everything hurts and you keep forgetting which teeth you have yet to do! It's worth it to push one's self in this department, though. (that being said in a certain amount of painful retrospect...).
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart goes out to all who suffer with this as I have...

cbb - do a search on enamel - it seems I just read something on lyme eating enamel.

From my experience tho - I always had dental work done - most of my teeth were root canaled, the one's that wern't were crowned.

When Lyme came along, during all the time that I was on abx only (although various kinds) no prob's w/ teeth. (2 to 3 yrs)

As soon as that FISH test came out & came back pos - started mepron/zith - that's when it all went downhill very fast. 2nd week into TX, SEVERE mouth pain - couldn't even begin to tell you where it was radiating from - except to say everywhere -worst pain of my life. (I've had hemmorroid surg - I can take some pain, lol) Nothing compared to this. Mine however was only during TX for babs,dn't matter which med - if it was killing babs, I had this pain. Finally had most teeth removed. My oral surg thinks I'm crazy. He said he search babs & could find nothing to relate to teeth. (HUMMM!) Anyway, After surg - I had to go back & have a 2nd surg where he completely opened up entire gumline of upper & clean it out by scraping the bone. (This was a very bad one, let me tell you) I came home w/facethat was so swelled, it made having the teeth removed a walk in the park. So, now I have a complete upper plate... and a partial on the bottom. Was hoping to save a few lower teeth...but upon last round of malarone - here we go again - 1 crown broke off at base, another tooth split in half. Wanna hear the odd part - I still have some "phantom pain" I call it - on the top gum.Not asbadas before - but there none the less. This has actually been a good litness test for if the Buhner herbs work - because right now, I'm off all RX and having the same herx in lower gum/teeth. Sadly, I am making appt to get them out also. Hate to do it, but they have to go. This time I will have him do the cleaning out part at the same time to save on the recovery time. I hate to lose my last few teeth, I hate to have to stop the herbs before surg - BUT - they were/are preventing my getting well.

I think the babs like that place - but in my experience it was not lyme or lyme TXthat effected it - it was Babs all the way.

One thing I did find that relieved it for awhile - was swiching full strenght Lysterine in my mouth for more than 1 min...It would give about an hour's total relief. I tried all the toothpastes - that didn't do a thing. It was an onward deteriation that seemed to have no end till extraction.

Not trying to be the grim reaper here - just telling my personal experience.

My advice would be to have any teeth removed that are causeing ALOT of trouble. I was told when asking about the implants, that I probally wouldn't be a good canidate down the road for them, as I would most likely be the small percentage of people that get bone infection from them - so think that over carefully, as obviously, we have an infection going on at that level to begin with. Of course, I'm noy referring to simply sensitive teeth here - I'm referring to those who have the "extreme pain" & are loosing crowns, etc.

Wish this had a happier ending for all, including myself, but....these disease's sure suck, don't they?

(((hug))) PS- Sarsparilla helped the pain last night, so think I'll try that again now, cuz I've taken enough tylenol to put me in liver failure. Try it, hope it helps.

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had beautiful pearly white teeth (in spite of my smoking) AND pink gums until, at the very least, Lyme and an equivocal malaria - whatever that means. Evidently, something was seen inside my red blood cells at the time of my malaria test.

But to sum things up, I can see vertical cracks in my enamel now, and 2/3rds of each tooth is virtually transparent.

I once had only minimal gum recession, and now parts of certain teeth are exposed that shouldn't be - especially behind my bottom teeth and along one side of my upper teeth - though ALL gum tissue is affected. Mino seemed to help some, but I don't see any gum tissue regrowing.

I have near constant tension in my jaw and find myself clenching my teeth constantly. In fact, quite a few years ago I had a plate made to protect my lower teeth from my teeth-grinding, as I had worn all of my bottom center teeth down and chipped my front teeth.

I also find myself licking behind my bottom teeth because I am EXTREMELY aware of the missing gum tissue and it bothers me.

I can't say for certain which bug does this to teeth and gums, but yes, one of these is definitely behind this problem.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search of "oil pulling" This saved my teeth. Strengthened them/now rock solid.

Teeth were translucent......not any longer......great way to whiten and detox.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost a tooth without any reason, it just died. My lyme doctor says it's very common with his lyme patients. I was fighting bartonella at the time the tooth died.

He says lyme toxins love the root of teeth! Many people here herx in their teeth, I did too a few times.

Then I got re-infected recently. The day after, I got a TERRIBLE infection in a tooth, as I never had had in my life. I lost the tooth, of course.
I was infected with babs and bart, so I don't know which to blame. Or if it was just a coincidence. The infection was the most terrible thing I ever had in my mouth.

I keep having pains and ART shows infection in the root of different teeth. I still got one infection to go. It seems candida this time (as I test good for KMT candida program).

These infections do mess with my teeth, roots etc. Most dentists think I'm imagining things.

Well, I wasn't as when I pulled 2 of the teeth they said I had nothing through X-rays, well, I had fistula inside (that they saw with naked eye after pulling off the teeth). X-ray showed nothing at all.

So I start to feel teeth problems in chronic lyme sufferers are the rule, not the exception.

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had agonizing TMJ- was Lyme and also BAbs- all gone now-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cbb:
Since TBDs, I've had what seems to be deterioration of my teeth, especially the enamel.
I've had part of the enamel break off, fillings fall out, teeth crack, crowns come off.

Same thing for me. It stopped when I got my vitamin D levels under control. The infection causes excess amounts of vitamin 25D to be converted to the 1,25D biologically active form. That lowers 25D (the form most often checked via blood test), and boosts 1,25D.

High 1,25D leads to an abnormally high rate of bone removal and replacement. That abnormality creates weakness in the structure of bones (and teeth).

For example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9574950&dopt=AbstractPlus

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have low 25 (OH) D and normal, 1, 25 dihydroxyvitamin D. And have/had CDC+ lyme, 1.5 years of abx..and herbs...

All along key sx have been: ear pain, than left upper and lower jaw/tooth pain. I had a tooth root canaled -->still hurt -->had it removed --> still hurt.

Before that I had two abcesses within a year pop up and I pulled those teeth.

I def. suspect Bb, babs and/or bart somehow affecting my dental health.. perhaps via the trigemianl nerve.

Sure wish someone would research this!

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spoke with the respresentative of some german homeopathics and other products.

Google paradophilus

Sounds interesting. It may help the mouth/teeth area.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Just got back to LymeNet.
So glad to see so many people have shared info.

One thing I didn't make very clear is that I do not have pain with all this going on.
For that I am truly thankful.

Will be checking out links, etc to read the additional info mentioned.

Big thank you to each of you who took time to share info!!
Appreciate it more than you know!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement