LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Working While Starting Treamtment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working While Starting Treamtment?
mobfarias
Member # 13000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mobfarias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When first starting your abx treatment, were you guys able to remain at your job? I have my first app. with my LLMD next Wed. I don't know what to do about work after starting up.
Posts: 37 | From kansas city,mo | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept working. Somehow I could push through then. I stopped treatment after a few months and because of that I am now out of work and back on treatment. Don't throw in the towell too soon with treatment like I did because I regret it.
Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I work too. I work at a home health company during the day and a nursing home at night. Then I DJ at a local bar on Fri & Sat. There has been many hard days!! But I dont have anyone else to pay the bills.

Is this the position your in too? I think everyone should be able to take off time when in treatment for a disease, or simply for even having the disease, but some of us simply don't have this option. Unfortunately.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sharonp
Member # 13140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharonp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I went to work and was always tired my doctor told me to take 2 weeks off that I am very sick. Have Babs and ehrlicliosis. I am going to see him tomorrow and am supposed to go back to work on Monday I don't know how I am going to do it. I couldn't even make lunch the other day. Hoping he will keep me out longer.
Posts: 6 | From annandale nj | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This brings up a question that's been on my mind. What are our legal options as far as taking sick time/sick leave from work? I'm sure I could find some information from my HR dept, but I kinda view them as the enemy. [Wink] I'm sure you guys know what I mean.
Have any of you taken sick leave? I've continued working but I'm struggling more and more every week, especially with my commute. I had to negotiate to take a measly 4 days off back in June when I could barely walk from the couch to the bathroom, nevermind taking a month or 2 off. But before I ask my doctor for a note, I want to know what my rights are and what they can do to me.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this of course would depend on a lot of variables.

I personally was on short term disability when I first started on abx.
I was just doing orals and when I brought my symptoms down to only three days a month, I returned to work.

I knew very little at that time about the disease and belived the ducks when they told me I was "surely cured of lyme". That was after six months of ammoxy and doxy oral.

The ducks should have known that I was still infected, due to my symptoms returning three days a month.

If they had not listened to the IDSA and the bumsteerites that make up that crowd. They would have kept me on these abx's until my symptoms were all gone.I may very well have beaten this disease.

Unfortunately for me, they stopped prescribing these abx's and I relapsed within a month and about 20 days.

When I relapsed, I was more mentally disabled then I was previously.

Of course where I worked, they were already discrimminating against me due to my age.

It was'nt too far for them to go, to discrimminate against me, due to my illness.

You'll have to watch very carefully and have some kind of advocate with the EEOC handy at every step of the way while at work.

Even still, the EEOC did nothing for me! They did tell me to "find a good lawyer".

In my case, my supervisors gave me more work in the evening hours and made me get a doctors excuse every time I had to take a day off due to my illness.

They tested me for substance abuse, making nasty remarks and accusing me of faking the whole illness. they would taunt me with remarks

like, "gee, look at your eyes"! "You looked fine this noon when you punched in, where did you stop?(presumably for cocktails). This created a whole lot of stress which in turn made me more ill.

I eventually had to go on disability again.

After the oral abx was discontinued my disease went from 5 cdc bands positive on my IGG western blot and 1 in IGM to four IGG and the

two out of three for IGM which meant my disease was now ACTIVE.

It may well have been active the whole time but did'nt test that way until after the six months of abx.

Like I said working while treating could bring you some problems.
On the other hand I know of some people that have worked it out with their employers who had cut the poor lymies a little slack.

I guess I should have never figured out the regional,branch and middle management personell, along with a few sales reps, were "allegedly" comitting fraud.

Allegedly cooking the books to look good on the stock exchange!

It's NOT ALWAYS the lyme disease!

LOL!

fxd

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By federal law you can take 12 weeks of unpaid leave if your company employs 50 or more. If you have a HR department I am sure yours does.

I am lucky and mine allows 6 months and I am trying to get 6 more months without losing my job. Good luck to you.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennyflyer- Look into FMLA

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

Synopsis of Law
Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:

for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;

for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition;

or

to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to add that my husband filed FMLA paperwork so that he could care for me or my kids when I am unable to.

There are forms to fill out. Your doctor will have to fill it out.

My LLMD did it for me to give to hubby's employer. Hubby can take a week off next week, then work a month then take a few days etc. It is for 12 weeks within a 12 month period. You do not have to take it all at once.

I personally can not work. My job just put me on medical leave. I dont get benefits anyway as I was part time.

If you take off 12 weeks straight Your employer only has to hold your position or 12 weeks. I am sure there are details on the website.

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frakktured1, that's just terrible how you were treated at work. And I thought I had it bad at my job because nobody understand. Guess I should count my blessings, I sound like a whiny baby compared to what you went through.

Yourtroubl, is that 6 months your company's doing or is that a WV state law?

Merrygirl, thanks, I will see what i can find at that website. Just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row, no pun intended. (god that was bad even for me) [Smile]

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work 3 days/week and am home with my 2 small children the other 2 days (not sure which 'job' is harder when sick). I've been in treatment for about 10 weeks and have managed to keep my job but I've certainly had my share of sick days though. In fact, I herxed so badly half-way into treatment that I was hospitalized for almost a week (this may have gotten me some general pity from my job).

I have kept an open dialogue with my boss, letting her know that I'm not sure how the next few months will be. I also, in the interim, asked if I could work a day from home. Otherwise, the best you can do is take it day by day. Some people improve on treatment right away while others herx like crazy so this might not even be an issue.

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worked the whole time. Wouldn't say that it was always easy, but I did it.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't those undergoing chemo have rights? People are much more sympathetic to that.

This is much harder, I think. From what I've observed. Don't get me wrong...chemo is BAD.

But, watching my daughter, she has zero good days.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fortunate to work for the State of WV. (heres hoping I still do) lol.
Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement