LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Diagnosis X" a new TV program on tonight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Diagnosis X" a new TV program on tonight
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Previously there were postings on a tv program "Mystery ER" dealing with lyme.

I just watched a new program on TLC on channel 28 called "Diagnosis X" which the final diagnosis was Lyme. It was interesting and will be on again tonight at 1:00 am EST for you late birds. The name of this particular show is "Shattered". There is another story line on at the same time.

Just thought I would spread the word.

Enjoy...

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, just set it up to record.
Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TLC , is channel 26 not 28
In Connecticut, Charter service

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Al and to all those who have a different TLC channel. I forgot it is not the same in different states and different companies.
Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching the show. The patient was misdiagnosed with MS and given Solu-Medrol (a steroid) and interferon.

After she got worse, she was told she had syphillis. Her husband was tested but didn't have a positive test for syphillis. Another rabbit hole.

A young intern gets one more chance to come up with a correct diagnosis after botching the first two attempts or he's off the case. His theory is the patient's immune system was blunted with the steroids.

He orders a very expensive "BAT" or "BAC" test for the actual bacteria not the antibody response to the bacteria.

He keeps calling it "Lyme's" not Lyme disease. I would think they'd at least refer it to borreliosis. Of course she will be magically cured with a few weeks of Abx and get on with her life. Ya-ta-da-da Hollywood!

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait...is this test he orders , like, actually reliable or something?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watches also. What in the world is a BAC or BAt test/ I heard him say it but I've never heard of it. He said it looked for the actyal Bacteria not the anti bodies. ?????????
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernCO
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernCO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I watched the show but gave up when the testing showed syphilis. Sorry I gave up to watch baseball.

A previous show was also very informative as to how the Lyme bacteria might infect the spine. A patient with an infected boil walked into an ER then was completely paralyzed within a short time. Long story short, the bacteria invaded through degenerating structures of the spine (probably disks?) then attacked nerves within the spinal canal.

When I told drs. for the past 13 yrs that I thought I had an infection inside the spine, I was told with stifled laughter that anything I had was only in my head. What a shame when the boob tube is smarter than a neurosurgeon.

Thanks for letting us know about this episode.

Posts: 175 | From Colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could not sleep last night and while channel surfing I happen to find this program. Very annoying that the doctor couldn't get the name right and kept calling it "lymes". They also made it seem like lyme was rare - an unlikely diagnosis. No surprise I suppose since that is sort of the premise of the show.

As the doctors were discussing the case, they seemed to think that the standard tests are extremely accurate and that it was very unusual that the immune system would be blunted. According to the storyline, this doctor was really thinking out of the box when he ordered the expensive test since the other tests were negative. In this case *only* because of steroids.

The doctor did say that a very small percentage of patients need follow-up, leaving the audience with the old easily treated, easily cured mantra but at least room for the possibility that more treatment might be needed.

I think this is the same doctor that was involved in the other lyme case. Maybe we should write to him - if he is real - and set the record straight.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened to catch the show (not knowing it was about Lyme) and bet my husband $200 that's what she had when she said her neck hurt. Of course, he was asleep by the time the dx was made..

Try as I may, am unable to find a contact us link on TLC's page for the show. I wanted to shoot myself every time I heard the word LYME'S...

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernCO
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernCO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the spinal tap negative for Lyme? If so, it fits the 80% miss factor for Lyme in spinal taps which I have read about here.

Makes me feel so secure when my PCP wants me to see a mainstream neurologist and to get a spinal tap to confirm Lyme. When I asked what the treatment would be if I was positive, I received another blank stare.

Posts: 175 | From Colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that show. It seems that every episode, they 'rule out' a TBD.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the BAT test that was mentioned the same as a PCR?

I liked the show because the dr kept trying and they didnt give up and didnt diagnose her with anxiety after MS was ruled out!!

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Lyme!! Lyme!!! not Lyme's... hearing someone say Lyme's drives me crazy out of all proportion to the crime... [bonk]

Anyway, I'm trying not to focus on the negative. At least the show portrayed a diagnosis of Lyme, without tick bite or erythema migrans, and even negative blood tests... that's good, really. Isn't it?

It puts the ideas out there. I was glad to see this one... I have it recorded.

But, it's LYME, for Pete's sake.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx for the post! i read it, ran out to check my tv guide and it was on in next 45 minutes; so i programmed vcr, and wathced it after getting off here.

good and bad; julie, i too kept saying LYME. [Mad] [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the show also. Usually I only have to deal with one "lymes" or so and I can gently educate the unknowing person. This was annoying to hear a doctor repeatedly say "lymes".

I think this show must be written by writters and the doctors are actors. I would like to contact the writters or show producers to thank them for the story line, but inform and educate them! Anybody find the contact info, please pass it on.

Maybe it's because of Pres Bush, but I have seen an increase in lyme stories lately. Awareness is good.

Keep on Keeping On,
MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaWolf
Member # 10578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you have a question or comment related to television programming or an Internet feature at Discovery.com, please contact our Viewer Relations staff.
I had to do a bit of navigating to find it but here is the link to Viewer Relations...
Contact Viewer Relations

Apparently he is a real Dr.. according to his bio.... Diagnosis X Bio Page

--------------------
~Ro~

Don't wait for someone to take you under their wing. Find a good wing and climb up underneath it~ Frank C. Bucaro

Posts: 80 | From Desert Southwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waldenflo
Member # 12960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waldenflo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this link! Cant wait to watch it.
Posts: 9 | From Boston- Cape Cod | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MamaWolf,

Used your link to send a brief message, copied below.

Comments "The program, I believe called "Shattered", was an excellent introduction to the difficulty of diagnosing lyme disease. However, the "doctor" kept using "lymes" when he spoke, which immediately indicates little knowledge of the disease.

Also, once diagnosed, the treatment is almost as complicated as the diagnosis, if it is not caught early and treated adequately. But, overall, at least it pointed out that commonly used tests are not adequate for identifying lyme disease."

Every little bit helps--at least their mistakes were not deliberate--such as IDSA propaganda!

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xava
Member # 11437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xava     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught the end of that show as well, and looked for some research about the test, BacT ... what I read, from 2002, seemed to make it sound as if the BacT test was superior to the WB.

BUT I don't see any reference to it on ilads' site... or elsewhere.

Does anyone have any idea? Interesting that the doctor/resident used that test, altho I don't know what test was used initially...
Thanks!

Posts: 4 | From athens ga | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the show recorded on my cable box, I can watch it, but i have no idea how to get it off the cable box and onto the computer. How do people get stuff from digital cable to youtube? (and is this legal?).

anyone who wants to pm me with instructions, i have a lot of interesting lyme programs i could upload.

BB

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement