LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I'm mad -- IM Bicillin Injection Protocol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm mad -- IM Bicillin Injection Protocol
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say it -- I'm angry right now.

Does any one know of any published or formally written descriptions about how to administer IM shots so that they don't hurt?

I've had 4 IM Bicillin Shots. I'm "supposed" to be kissing the feet of nurses at the walk in center who agreed to administer them with a script from my LLMD in a different state.

I read the tips for painfree shots in the newbie links and iced my rump and warmed the med before. The first shot was very painful and left a huge bruise.

I happened to have an appt. with my LLMD and he wrote a note stating that it is much better to put it in slowly over 3-5 minutes (when he used to administer them he took 20 minutes). The nurse didn't even look at the note and said she'd "try" to go slow but didn't have time to take the full 3 minutes. She did it over 30 secs and it felt fine. I also laid down and put my toes together (in newbie tips).

The next time she used a smaller needle and it took about 30 secs and it was fine.

Today I had a different nurse and she said that I had to stand and wouldn't listen to my success stories. She said she's been doing this for 25 years.

My rump is so sore that I can barely use the clutch on my car.

OK. I'm angry and just needed to let it out.

I'll go back to the clinic on Monday and see the MD. Maybe he can put a note in my chart that this patient is "special" and needs to be treated with kid gloves.

It's not that the pain is so bad. Believe me I've been through worse with this horrific disease!!!!! It's just that it doesn't have to be this way and the nurses just frankly don't care.

Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bicillin injections are painful. I've been doing them for over a year now. They get easier as you do them. It may be that the nerves become less sensitive over time or we just adapt, but from time to time, they still hurt. You just have to grin and bear it. I can tell you that even doing the exact same approach with the same person, it will not hurt at all one time and hurt like mad another - all depends on what you hit going in I think.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I echo Scott!!! They are painful.
Heard it from everyone who has done them...
Some people give them better, some worse.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another tip you may already know about. If you're standing, put all your weight on the side that's not getting the injection (stand on one foot, pretty much), and try to completely relax the muscle getting the injection.

They do get easier over time as Scott said. Good luck.

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. OK man.

I did pour over the newbie links prior to my 1st and 2nd shots and I must say that the advice is fabulous. Thanks so much!!! The two times that my nurse actually let me use some of the advice (like laying down, going slow with the ol' plunger), the shots were fine.

Nowhere in the newbie links does it explain how to persuade a meanie nurse to go slow and let you lie down.

If I need to take the pain to get better, by all means bring it on!!! But she made me cry in front of my 7 year old because she was such a big meanie and wouldn't talk to me. I didn't cry because of the pain in my rump, but because she was a meanie and was mean. Down deep I have a very raw need to blame it on her!!!

Thanks for listening!

Just Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd want to tell her she's an A$$.

PS- I am such a chicken I won't even say yes to bicillin shot even though they have been suggested and i am supposed to be doing the leg work with insurance. Sorry LLMD- I just ain't motivated enough for this one.

I hate pain. And I do think the nurses attitude was demeaning to you.

Take Care,
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Thanks guys,

Are you a psychiatrist by trade, Cave? I agree it is up to me to become one with my surroundings, take deep breaths, work within the system, and have my voice be heard in a kind and gentle manner. (I'm being silly [spinning smile] ). I'll make an effort to do my yoga video tonight.

I will see the MD at the walk in clinic next week and try to have him put a note in my chart listing my desires. That is the reason I asked if anyone had an official looking publication/report explaining how to administer IM shots in the nice way.

I almost posted here after my 2nd shot because the nurse didn't look at the letter from my LLMD yada yada, but changed my mind because I didn't want to admit to potential future bicillin users that they can hurt. It's like I'd never tell my female friends that my mammogram was a bit pinchy. Too much good comes from things like mammograms and bicillin shots that I'd hate to be the reason someone opted out.

I am a shot-a-phobe too, Carol. Honestly, when they did them slowly it really didn't hurt very much. I only cried today because they wouldn't let me have any control over a situation in which I felt very very vulnerable. She was a royal A$$.

Some people need to walk a mile in another's shoes.

Humph.

Allie

[spinning smile] [spinning smile]

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a generic (Benzathine Penicillin by fresinius) it was powder, they mixed it with water and lidocaine - injected fast and it never hurt or left any soreness. Could you LLMD try you on this Generic???

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my thoughts after getting bicillin 1.2 injections for a month:

* Here's a great link someone posted a while ago about guidelines to giving bicillin im shots: http://www.breastcancerprofessional.com/contents/public/onc/nursing.pdf
You might be able to use this to train a friend or family member to administer the shots.

* Not all nurses are created equal. The most experienced nurse may not be the gentlest injector. The grumpiest nurse might have the steadiest hand. If you have found a nurse who can go slowly and who you feel comfortable with, find out when he/she works and get your shot when they are available.

* I saw one of my doctors yesterday, and he visibly cringed when I told him I was getting bicillin injections. He had them as a young man, and still shuddered at the pain from the experience! So you are not alone--even doctors feel the pain!!

Good luck!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom line...

Any time that you inject a semi viscous fluid within the body of a muscle, tiny fibers will tear...The speed at which this liquid is injected determines how well the muscle can adapt to the incoming mass......Hence, inject fast, tear more fibers.

If you also hit a vein or venuole (tiny vein), there will be bleeding withing the tissue, which will also be uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to determine if this will happen other than looking for a flash at the very beginning of the injection.

If you have the unfortunate situation of injecting near a nerve, that is sad...It is also hard not to do on occasion. There are general landmarks for nerves, but they aren't the same in everyone...Hence, injecting slowly is important yet again.

So, no pain is unusual, BUT, there are techniques to lessen the pain....like icing, like lying down on your belly, slow injection speed, etc....

To knowingly cause more pain is simply mean. I would never do this as a nurse. Definitely discuss this with your doc or the head nurse.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

ok breathwork, you rock!
The 'bottom' line it is!!!! ouch.

Now, do you or anyone else know of an official document that says just what you said only with like a decal or logo of an official and/or impressive place on it? You know what I mean?

Allie

listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got mad just reading this. I'm so sorry this happened to you. There is no reason that a medical professionial should ignore your request for a specific way to get the shot. If you refuse to have the shot done by a nurse that is not listening to you, will it mean that you can't get your shot at all?

Can your doctor write a new script that states exactly how you want the shot given?

Please don't act like you need to be treated "special". Your requests are related to you and not because you need to be treated with kid gloves. Just because others don't speak up and ask for what they need, does not make you special in any way. You are not asking for anything unreasonable.

That nurse may have been doing it for 25 years, but she has never given YOU a shot.

It is so difficult to stand up for ourselves in this world, much less when you are battling a disease like this. Please don't let anyone bully you again. You can stand your ground. It is not unreasonable. As long as you can remain pleasant and keep repeating your request, and refuse to give in, what choice do they have?

Anyway - just my 2 cents.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemom
Member # 12114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allie - I feel your pain!

6 months of weekly 2.4 Bicillin XL - and unfortunately it really does hurt.

The nurse or DR who gave me shots were both very sensitive and careful but it was still painful.

I personally tried mentally to go to my happy place and relax as much as possible. ( thoughts of the beach and clear blue ocean for me!)

One thing that helps in the aftermath is to put one of those heating pads that you microwave on the injection site and lie down for awhile. My LLMD said the heat is better for intramuscular than ice.

Good luck!

Posts: 28 | From long island ny | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Allie,

Anyone who has had bicillin shots can understand your frustration. And what is even more aggravating is that the nurses, who have NOT had the shots, should choose to ignore the collective knowledge of all the thousands of patients and doctors who have had the shots, and have kindly provided specific guidelines for making them less painful.

In my case, the nurse was really nice, and the first week was giving me the first shot, then supervising while my husband gave the second shot in the office, and finally my husband gave me the shots every week for the next year. (what a great guy--he really hated to do it but he did it anyway!)

However, as sweet as she has always been, (she is my PCP's regular nurse) and as unbusy as the office was, she just would not give it slowly. I was sore for two days. When my husband's turn came, he was so nervous he tried to give it slowly, but much faster than the minimum of two minutes. However, at home, we kept a clock so I could see the time, and while he concentrated on the shot, I watched the time.

It did get better, but I often got lumps, and occasionally bruises, and sometimes more pain, but always less than with the "fast" nurse.

How to deal with the mean nurse though is really tricky. Because it seems it is not that easy to get someone to give the shot. I did have a sort of official looking shot procedure page from my LLMD, and the nurse did look at it, but she knew "better" that such techniques were just not necessary. So it is just plain frustrating and I can certainly understand why you would be angry.

Wish I had some fabulous plan to force them to do it right. Just wanted to let you know that I empathize with you completely.

Best wishes.

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement