LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Panic attack out of the blue?? Help.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panic attack out of the blue?? Help.
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning everyone,

I hope others are having a better weekend then I am.

Here is my story. On Friday I was more tired than usual and I kept having this weak feeling in my legs. It got better as the day went on.

I took my kids to my nephews football game and got home at about 10 pm. I was feeling fine. Got kiddos tucked into bed and waited for hubby to get home from work.

At around 11:30 I got this hot burning feeling in my stomach that rose up to my chest. I felt kind of out of it. Then the SOB started. It felt like my chest muscles just didn't want to let me breathe. I felt as if I was going to pass out several times. This came in waves over the next hour. Then I had the shakes.

We debated on whether to goto ER or not. I couldn't tell if this was a panic attack or not. We finally decided to goto bed. I slept all night but felt really fatigued yesterday. I napped off and on all day. Hubby called off work to take care of kids.

Today I woke up feeling really down and still anxious.

Does this happen to others? I haven't started any new meds. I am still taking 500 mg of Ceftin twice a day. I also take Paxil CR.

I don't usually have this happen so suddenly. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance.

On a lighter note I have an appt. for accupuncture next week. A new office opened in my area. I used to go several years ago but the office was to far from my house to drive myself there.

Any opinions on this?

Take care, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kit,

I get this all of the time, only my symptoms are a little different.

Mine usually starts as a rising feeling in my belly... sort of like a roller coaster rush and then moves up to my head and the right side of my head gets a pressure sort of feeling.

Then I get balance challenged and perception challenged. My judgement is off and I have to call to be picked up if I am out in the car.

This ahppens often and lasts for hours. Usually a klonopin and laying down helps.

Best,
Rhonda

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been written that any lyme infected individual when prescribed any psycotropic medication should be prescribed in baby doses and gradually increased by the same size of doses.

This could be a reaction to too much paxil, as a side effect of the paxil, or just good ole Bb acting up on it's own.

Have you discussed this with your llmd or whoever prescribed the paxil?

I would'nt worry too much till you discuss it with them.
I would however carry a small paper bag around with me in case I started to hyperventolate!

fxd

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.feelyourselfagain.com/foods_that_help_anxiety_panic.html

Paxil? Did a "number" on a friend-neighbor too. It can be a tough drug for SOME people.

http://www.oklahoma-law.com/CM/FSDP/PracticePage/Personal-Injury/Paxil.asp

There are MANY (negative) posts and information about that drug on the internet re: unexpected side effects and the fact that this drug is...

REALLY tough to get off of!!!

http://www.samhsa.gov/csatdisasterrecovery/featuredReports/Abrupt%20Withdrawal.pdf

(Go to the above website and using the binoculars (to search), type in "Paxil".

Prozac is metabolized by cyp2d6 also.

"Unfortunately, cyp2d6 is missing in about 7% of the white population, and its manifestation is quite variable in the rest."

"Paxil (paroxetine) is metabolized through CYP2D6."

"Pharmacokinetic behavior of paroxetine has not been evaluated in subjects who are

deficient in CYP2D6 (poor metabolizers)."

"A patient's CYP2D6 phenotype is often clinically determined via the administration of debrisoquine (a selective CYP2D6 substrate) and subsequent plasma concentration assay of the debrisoquine metabolite (4-hydroxydebrisoquine). More recently, a "DNA microarray" has been developed, known as the AmpliChip, which allows the automated determination of a patient's CYP2D6 (or CYP2C19) genotype."

"Ethnicity is a factor in the occurrence of CYP2D6 variability. The prevalence of CYP2D6 poor metabolizers is approximately 6-10% amongst white populations, but is lower in most other ethnic groups such as Asians (2%) [4]. In blacks, the frequency of poor metabolizers is greater than for whites (1.6% vs. 0.44%) [2]. The occurrence of CYP2D6 ultrarapid metabolisers appears to be greater amongst Middle Eastern and North African populations [3]."

[ 09. September 2007, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was 21 and they thought I had lupus (but negative ANA saved me from diagnosis and it went away with abx when I got pneumonia!) I had massive sudden panic attacks during that same time- and then when I got Lymed years later all those lupus symptoms came back- and the panic attacks-!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

You're not going to believe me, but read 'Cross Currents' by Dr. Robert Becker.

If you're having panic attacks that come on suddenly like that, I can pretty much bet that you are merely reacting to artificial manmade electromagnetic fields such as cell phones and wireless that you are unable to see, but can definitely 'feel'. I'm convinced these artificial fields are causing the parasites in my iron-rich red blood cells to 'swim' faster, thus, a panic attack.

This happens to me whenever I drive past a cell phone tower, and I was even able to detect Three Mile Island last weekend. And no, I was not aware that I was passing Three Mile Island until after my reaction/panic attack.

Toss out your cell phone and do some research into what sources of EMFs surround your home. You won't be able to do much about most of them, but more people need to be aware of the health effects of these dangerous fields. I won't touch a cell phone, and even my cordless phone is history after reading this book.

If you read this book, it will scream Lyme Disease at you. The author is not arrogant either. He really sticks his neck out to say what needs to be said. Here is an interview with the author of 'Cross Currents':

http://www.energyfields.org/science/becker.html

According to him, research has already shown that these fields are dangerous, but too many vested interests are allowing this to continue to our own detriment.

kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the info. I forced myself to go out shopping for a bit with my husband. Since I feel anxious I have to force myslef to leave. It went okay.

I am aware of all the side effects from Paxil and other SSRI's. I have been on Paxil CR for about 2 years. It completly brought me out of my severe depression that I had several years ago. I hate taking it but I can't get into that depression again.

Tailz...I have read your info on this subject before. I find it very interesting.

Still feeling anxious and down.

My hubby mentioned that I drank several cups of coffee the other day. That is not normal for me. Maybe that had something to do with the panic attack.

Thanks again, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Well, today hasn't been that much better. [Frown]

Feeling really blah and still on edge. This came out of no where and I hate it. [rant]

I have to make my follow up appt. tommorow with LLMD so I will mention it.

Looking back through my calender I am at my 4 week mark. Herx maybe?

I hate the way this feels. I can usually talk myself out of a panic attack but that failed this time.

Then I go through the game of telling myself it wasn't a panic attack, it had to be something else. I played that mind game off and on today.

Sorry..I just needed to rant and vent.

Take care...kit

jdbark
Member # 13175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdbark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that has not been mentioned, is the possibility that this is a heart attack, I know that lyme patients have lots of symptoms that mimic other things, but as I was reading your original post, I was thinking that it sounds a lot like a myocardial infarction.

Regarding the O2-CO2 thing, the paper bag is a good idea for treating hyperventilation. Panic attacks can make you breath too fast (the hyperventilation does not cause the panic attack though) this makes you blow off CO2 that normally should be kept in the blood stream, breathing in and out of the paper bag is a method to re-breath air that is rich in CO2 and does help balance things back out.

Most likely you did not have a heart attack, but when in doubt it is best to go to the E.R., caught soon enough much of the damage caused by an M.I. can be reversed.

Just my two cents worth.

--------------------
Doug

Posts: 3 | From California | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had panic attacks out of the blue while on ceftin. Also, the shakes, like Parkinsons, for about 3 months. Some of my panic attacks lasted 7 hours. I have never had a panic attack in my life. Until lyme, and being treated with ceftin.

For me, I think the ceeftin was working and killing bugs, causing toxins, causing neurological and neuropsychiatric symptoms.

It was not fun, and I am sorry if this is happening to you. I felt scared and out of control, and it was very depressing.

Some will tell you to power through, this is just a neuroherx, and others will tell you to slow down. I guess you should talk to you LLMD and decide for yourself.

This is a nasty disease. Don't expect it to be like anything else. Don't even try to figure it all out. Just take your abx and other meds and hang on for dear life. The first year or two of treatment can be miserable.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

kit kat,

I'm really sorry I did'nt elaborate on why you should carry a paper bag around with you should these attacks persist.
I'm glad someone else told you what they're used for.

My sisters are all on paxil. I take that back. One recently wheened herself off of paxil. She did'nt get the horror story of withdrawal some get.

I myself had a short lived experience of withdrawal with paxil. My teeth felt like lightening bolts were shooting thru them to the top of my head to my jaw bone.

Something similar to TMJ problems. I had some this weekend that reminded me of the paxil withdrawal symptoms.

I am on lexapro. I take 10mgs every 12 hours.
I don't know what it will be like comming off of this drug. I do know how depressed I was without it, or how manic I became.

I needed something to balance me with both anxiety and depression.
I would'nt go out of the house either.Feared going out the door much less going shopping.

Then there were times I would clean the house...I mean REALLY CLEAN THE HOUSE...for like three or five days straight.

Then I would CRASH big time.

I told my doctor this and he prescribed lexapro.

We, as lymies, have got to remember the two sides of the coin with the psychological affects of lyme/neuroborreliosis infection.

A lot of us are diagnosed with bi-polar disease or manic/depressive behaviour.

Why? Only Bb and God know the answer to that.

Perhaps some scientist will come up with the answer of what the bug is looking for when we get these emotional roller coaster rides.

Those who think we have ANY control over these emotions is whacko themselves...
No more than we can control the LYME RAGE that happens.
Nor the long sleeps we have to take...etc

It can help somewhat to know that these emotions are caused by lyme disease alone. There need not be ANY outside influences at work as a catalyst.

The stuff I mentioned above works for me. For someone else it might not. For someone else something else has to balance our neuro/chemicals.

I sure hope you find the one that helps you out the most.
Worrying about these things and experiencing them only helps the bug. We don't want to help the bug any more than is necessary.

I know you all don't want to help the bug.

God Bless Kit Kat, and your hubby, pray for patience...

Fxd

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to being diagnosed with Lyme, I had the worst panic attacks, especially at night.

It felt like waves that would wash over my body.

Gripped me in a vise that left me feeling paralyzed.

The ducks diagnosed me with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Rx'ed paxil.

I took one. The worst night I have ever had in my life.

It intensified my panic attacks. I couldn't sleep at all.

In the morning, I felt like I was on speed. Moving one hundred miles in every direction,

But not getting anything purposeful done.

I will never take that again.

Eventually, on doxy, those panic attacks went away.

Mine have recently come back (1 year later) and I am on doxy again.

Call your LLMD and let them know what is going on.

I hope you get some relief from the panic attacks soon.

They are horrifying.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thank you all very much for your replies and personal stories. It means so much to me. [kiss]

I am hoping this goes away soon. When others have had questions about panic attacks I have always replied that it was always one of my most freightning symptoms. When it starts happening to you again you forget your words of advice.

I really am not concerned that it is heart related. In the past I used to be. I have been checked so many times for my heart though that it is doubtful. Thank you for the concern though.

I have used the paper bag trick before. It didn't do to much good the other night. I think it came on so fast and snow balled so quickly that it was past controlling. My hubby gave me water and put an ice pack on the back of my neck, that seemed to help a bit.

I almost had another one come on last night when I went to bed. I think it was the fear have having another that brought that on. It passed within a few minutes.

I still feel really on edge this morning. I have that shakey on the inside feeling going on.

I have to call LLMD today anyway to schedule my follow up appt. I will let you know what they say.

Thank you so much again...kit

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement