LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what do you do if can't take antibiotics or herbs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what do you do if can't take antibiotics or herbs?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wildcondor brought up an excellent point on my post. I am being tested for c. difficile. she said not to take any antibiotics for awhile.

well let me tell you that right now i can't take anything as i am soooo sore and all. the doc did say he was not going to give me anything until the test results came back. he said no antibiotics until they figure it out, then possibly flagyl.

so what if you colon or stomach or intestines or whatever, is so damaged, or maybe you don't have one, that you can't tolerate antibiotics at all, or even herbs? what do you do? iv? i understand that can cause problems to.

what are you supposed to do??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L-glutamine is supposed to help repair the digestive system. You also want to be taking a very good probiotic.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L-glutamine
Aloe Vera
PROBIOTICS!!!

Other treatments:

IV abx,
treat with heat (sauna, hot tub, infrared)
Salt/C
Oxygen
Hydrochloricacid
Some herbs should not affect your stomach

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV Vit. C may help. One of my doctors suggested this for me.

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm sorry maybe i didn't make myself clear and i can't figure out your posts!!

what do you treat the lyme with if you have a damaged colon, etc? you can't just not treat the lyme. geez, i'm not making any sense at all today....let's try this again.

if you have c. difficile and can't take the antibiotics for lyme because of the c.difficle then how do you continue lyme treatment? there, that's better, isn't it?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Rife machine

2) salt/C protocol

3) miracle mineral supplement go to www.miraclemineral.org ( not proven yet, still experimental) but it will help kill the c. dif.

4) immune response therapy 1-401-737-1011

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you need to focus on one problem at a time. It's frustrating, but you may need to fix your gut before you can treat the Lyme.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flagyl is used as part of combo for lyme treatment, generally as a cyst buster.

The colon thing: did your dr. say no to any and all herbs?

Just wondering because JimBob went herbal when he lost his colon. The herbs are helping him symptom wise. Maybe if you did a search for his postings, for his continuing journey with herbs.

But all this would have to be approved by your dr., IMO.

Maybe check just for cat's claw, or I think JimBob had more response with devil's claw (I have no idea what the difference is).

The basis for the herbals is from the Buhner book.

How about homeopathics, but you need a homeopath near you.

Have you tried a google for c.diff diet or c. diff supplements or c. diff nutrition to see if there is
anything else you can do to reduce inflammation (including gluten and sugar, going bland....rice, chicken, etc.)

North.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I have the same problem. I seem to only tolerate antibiotics for shorter and shorter stretches. And most herbs, spices, and supplements cause problems, too.

I'm out there, but I'd suggest you read 'Cross Currents'. These bugs aren't the real problem here. Our immune system was designed to kick any germ, but we messed with the planet's electromagnetic field. It's going to take something major happening though before everybody will be willing to turn in their cell phones, wireless, etc...

A chemical is not the answer here - not a synthetic chemical - not a natural chemical. It's an energy problem.

Julie51
Member # 13065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you. I can't take much of anything for my lyme as I'm allergic to 99% of all meds. They are sending me to an allergist to see what they can do. All cipo, Zito, Doxy, Sulfa, you name it I can't take it. I have no idea what I will do.

And I'm very scared.

Julie

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 61 | From Lake Villa IL | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are very ill and can't work out or do any exercise, then perhaps IV abx or the other methods people already responded with will help.

However, if you have the strength to work out at all, I have to relate that I got great relief from doing Hot Yoga, also known as Bikram Yoga.

Bikram Yoga is yoga done in a very hot room, over 100 degrees. You sweat, and you raise your body temp very high while getting a lot of oxygen to your tissues (because you are breathing heavily).

After my first session (where I almost passed out my internal body temp got so high), I felt I had about a 50% reduction in my lyme symptoms.

I think sometimes we are a little too passive in expecting an outside agent, herb or drug will save us from everything. Dr. B himself says in his guidelines that you won't get better from Lyme, no matter how much abx you take, if you don't work out.

Lyme hates elevated body temps, and hates oxygen, so the more you can elevate your heart rate, basal body temp, and breathing, the better off you are.

That's just my 2c. I thought I should share that Hot Yoga really helped me.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Julie4848:
I feel for you. I can't take much of anything for my lyme as I'm allergic to 99% of all meds. They are sending me to an allergist to see what they can do. All cipo, Zito, Doxy, Sulfa, you name it I can't take it. I have no idea what I will do.

And I'm very scared.

Julie

Are you truly allergic, or have they caused herxheimer reactions making everyone think it was a reaction to the abx itself?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to consider is that if you take Tindamax you accomplish 2 things: kill off the cyst form, and it also works on C-Diff. [Smile]

I had no C-Diff infections, despite 8 months of oral antibiotics. I took tons of probiotics as well.

I could not find any documentation about it working against C-diff, but that's what my LLMD told me, and sure enough, I didn't get C-Diff.

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

FOr sure do NOT take Cipro. It is what destroyed my colon by giving me Acute Chronic Colitis. My duck says it did the same thing to two others of his patients.

So when I got Lyme after that, he gave me Cipro again, because as he said, it is a good abx and you don't have a colon anymore so it shouldn't hurt you.

And you know, it did work. In 5 days my pain went away. . . . . For about 8 or 9 months. Then I started to slowly relapse; till about 5 years later I got so bad I thought I was going to die.

My duck wouldn't give me any more abx as he said all people are cured with 21 days of abx, and he was proof of it. He got bit twice and the target twice, took abx twice for the 21 days and he was "cured" both times. What can I say?

Course I'll bet he didn't wait 5 months to be treated like I did.

So I got desparate and found the Healing Lyme book at Amazon.com from the advertisement to the left of this post. Started taking herbs. BUT my stomach had already been in severe pain and nausea for several months from all the ascorbic acid, vitamin C that I had taken every day for several years.

I added abx to my herbs, but that aggravated my stomcach to the point I could NOT stand it and had to quit after 28 days of Tetracycline and 24 days of Doxycycline.

I started C-Salts from Nutrition Wholesale, (nutri.com), as I found it in Buhner's book, and once I had stopped the abx, the C-Salts healed my stomach in a few weeks. I still take it to this day. It really helps the stomach. I can't tell what it does for the colon, because I was cured of the colitis surgically back in 94.

No more pain there, that is a blessing.

Devil's Claw helped me tremendously for my Brain Fog and Vision problems, but you should NOT take it IF you have ulcers. It created tremendous gas for me at first and I almost quit it, but it helped so much in the other departments that I kept on on a low dose till I got used to it. I still take it and it doesn't give me as much gas as it used to. Wouldn't want to be without it.

I quit Cat's Claw a two or three weeks ago. Just to see IF there is much of any difference. Not much. But this is after 21 months of taking it.

Do not take Cat's Claw with antacids.

Non of the "Cool" herbs affected my stomach one way or the other. Some HOT herbs, NOT in Buhner's book DID cause me stomach problems.

Jim [Cool]

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there

Do you have c.diff for sure?
Make sure you do 3 stool samples 3 days in a row with liquid stool to make sure you have no false negative tests.

If you do have c.diff, you cannot take any other antibiotics besides Flagyl, Vancomycin(oral) or Xifaxan for quite some time. Flagyl IS one of the drugs used to treat Lyme so that can be taken advantage of. Eventually, after you rid yourself of the c.diff, and if you still require Lyme treatment, you will likely have to incorporate Flagyl or oral vancomycin (in addition to) your Lyme antibiotics. Another option is IV Vancomcyin for Lyme treatment which can be an excellent drug when used properly. Remember oral Vancomycin is NOT absorbed into the body, and neither is Xifaxan, they stay in the GI tract. Flagyl IS absorbed. So, you may end up on a combination that includes Flagyl or vancomycin, and do fine. You can also use herbs. Traditional antibiotics, IV and oral, and also Bicillin can cause c.difficile. Stay off of all of them unless your life depends on it, and then use Flagyl and Vancomycin to knock out the c.difficile. C.diff has a VERY VERY high relapse rate because it is spore forming and becoming resistant to the few treatments which are available.

In addition, all of you should be taking Florastor and VSL #3 whenever you take any antibiotic for Lyme to protect against c.difficile (pseudomembranous colitis)

Consult with both your GI doctor and your LLMD and make sure both are aware of your total body health situation and figure out a plan of action.

Just to add, Vitamin C is one of the worst things you could possibly take if you have any type of colitis or intestinal infection. It is a known irritant and it will only make cramping and diarrhea worse. Iv Vit C also does NOT work for Lyme. Take care of your gut, and baby it.
Glutamine IS a good idea. [Smile]

Good luck!
C.difficile http://www.cdiffsupport.com/
http://www.medicinenet.com/clostridium_difficile_colitis/article.htm

VSL #3 http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/default.asp

Florastor http://www.florastor.com/article.asp?id=1139

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement