LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for those who take pregnenolone as per Buhner's protacol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for those who take pregnenolone as per Buhner's protacol
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Am doing very well thus far adding slowly to Buhner's protacol. I was planning on adding the pregnenolone next, as he states it increases appetite. I force myself to eat, but I have no hunger at all.

As I do w/ all the herbs before I start them , I googled pregnenolone - and saw so much about heart palps with even small doses, that I got scared to start it. This is a symp. that I have gotten rid of, with the exception of an occasional little blip during a herx; but I remember them vividly as a 24/7 kind of thing & really don't want to go there again, if I can avoid it. [Frown]

So I'd appreciate some input from those who have taken it or are now taking it.

Did u start at a lower dose than the 50mg & add in slowly? Did u jump right in w/ the 50 mg?

What did you notice after starting it- good or bad?

If you did have heart palps at what dose?

Those females of the post menopause era - any increase in libido from pregnenolone? [Wink]

Thanks in advance [bow] - I trust your opinions based on your experience, since we all have basically the same things. I really saw no research directly related to our situations.

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years back, pre-lyme diagnosis, I was given a prescription for pregnenolone and did not experience any heart palpitations. I really don't recall it having a strong effect on me in either direction (positive or negative).

But I do know that my LLND and several of the women in her office take it as their periods approach (PMS) and supposedly it works well for that so I am interested in trying it again. Anyway, it does seem to have some type of balancing effect, which might extend to libido. I just don't know for sure. Perhaps others will have more specific advice.

Anything that increases kidney/adrenal function seems to help me with energy and therefore libido. I like Devil's Club tincture from Gaia herbs and RealSalt seems to help. Also, I wonder if testosterone cream could be of help here?

Hope things continue to go well for you.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply Claire. That's 1 out of 1 for no heart palps....anyone else? (((hug)))
Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have a major problem with heart palps, but pregnenolone did not increase them.

I have found that several doses of Magnesium throughout the day will decrease palps by about 85% for me. I take a total of 510 mgs. in summer and raise it as high as 1,200 in winter, when I have more problems with my heart. Note: do not take Mg if you have kidney disease.

I've taken Pregnenolone at two different times, for two different reasons, and in two different doses, both very low.

I took 10 mgs., 3 X week after menopause to relieve irritability. It worked beautifully, even at this low dose, but it raised my estrogen back up to premenopausal levels, which re-started my migraines, so I had to cut it out. I had a much better mood, which raised my libido a little bit, but nothing dramatic.

I gave the 10 mgs. 3 X weekly to my spouse also, to help his memory, and it raised his mood noticeably. However, he has BPH, so I took it away from him after reading it was bad for men with BPH (enlarged prostrate). This is because it is a steroid, and if the man gets prostrate cancer, it will grow faster. Note: Do not take pregnenolone if you currently have or have had cancer.

I now take 10 mgs. 2 X week. I am taking it for my increasing memory problems, after reading it would help. At this lower dose, it does not raise my estrogen enough to cause headaches, but it is also not helping my memory and I plan to let it run out.

The higher doses usually recommended would probably work much better, but even some doctors who are pro-supplements are hesitant about it, since it is a hormone. (Google Dr. Ray Sahelian plus pregnenolone for this alternate viewpoint).

I wish I could still take it at the higher dose, sicne I have become a raging, irritable nag since menopause. [Mad] I blame part of it on Lyme rage, but the timing of it starting with menopause is suspect!

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Thanks Klutzo - I will double check but I think I actually read Dr Ray S's article.

Also kinda scares me about it being a steroid, although different from the typical steriods.

Well, I still haven't started it, think I will continue to do more research on it. Plus, I think I'm maxed out on adding things for a few days, herxing pretty good on the knotweed & andrographis, and still have to ramp those up some more.

I'm incredably achey the last 2 days.

So, I guess the jury's still out in my mind - but I think if I do try it - I will start very slow & see how it goes.

Glad you didn't have the heart palps get worse from it tho!

hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used pregnelone drops by Designs for Health for the past 4 years. This might be an easy way to start at a low dose:
http://catalog.designsforhealth.com/s.nl/it.A/id.771/.f

I was "prescribed" pregnenolone because of my poor results on an adrenal stress test. I take them 2x a day along with DHEA drops. I've never had heart palpitations with it. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much good these drops are doing me... maybe I should take a break & see if I notice a difference!!!

I also found this article about adrenal stress and treatment with pregnelolone. The article states that pregnolone is a precurser to the body's production of steroids--it is **not** actually a steroid. The article is pretty scientific, but I think it gives a good overview of the major issues and methods of treatment:
http://coastherbal.com/web_standard/adrenal_stress.html

HTH

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Thanks for thelink for the drops, Hillary.

Anyone else have experience w/ pregnenolone?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement