LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sleep Apnea related to lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sleep Apnea related to lyme?
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months into when I became ill, I started "choking" in my sleep. It would wake me up every time it would happen. It felt like I had choked on my saliva or something because my throat would be sore for a little while afterward.

Ever since I've been in treatment, it hasn't happened. *knock on wood* I really hope this doesn't jinx me by talking about it. But I was just wondering if lyme could have somehow had anything to do with it?

I don't know if what was happening was sleep apnea. I was going to have a sleep study done, but it stopped happening and it's been almost half a year.

Does anyone know if the two go together or if lyme causes it, etc.?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I've often wondered about it. Hopefully someone here will have some info.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my case Lyme did cause Apnea. I originally got sick back in 97 with something no one could diagnose. It lasted about 18 months then I seemed to get better mostly. In late 99 I was tired all the time and was waking up with headaches. I went to my GP and told him what was happening and said maybe since I also began to snore really bad at this time maybe I had Apnea. He said no way I was to young and not over weight. This went on for about 6 months more and I was getting joint pain and was exhauted all the time. I went to a Pulmonologist and long story short he sent me to a sleep study and I showed moderate to severe Apnea.

I felt immensely better after getting a CPAP machine to breath with at night. But continued to get sicker slowly but stealy until Feb of 04 and then bam it was like the world feel on me. Thats when I finally got diagnosed correctly with Lyme and was told by my LLMD that the Lyme had attacked my central nervous system and the area of the brain that regulates sleep and had caused the apnea. If you look at the list of symptoms complied by the ILADS you'll see Apnea on the list.

Hope this helps answer the question.

Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, it does. it did for me too; cpap does NOT help me at all! my nose plugs up every night, and cpap doesn't help. also the heater feels like 32 degrees instead of 80 degrees! [Frown] [Mad]

check out TREEPATROL'S NEWBIE LINKS archive ...

look for ART DOUGHERTY; he did massive research; 300 other illnesses mimick lyme.

i'm sure he had lyme and SLEEP APNEA plus medical links to all illnesses he showed. he shut one down, but there was another one or 2 up last i looked!

[ 12. September 2007, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry bettyg to hear your CPAP is of no help to you. What I have is actually called a BiPAP machine which works differently and it has worked wonders for me. Maybe one like mine would help you. You also mention that your nose clogs each night; mine does the same thing. This is fairly common with people who have Apnea and can be gotten around by getting a mask that covers both the nose and mouth so us mouth breathers can breath and get the benefit of the machine. As for the heater I agree I gave up using that way back, its more trouble than its worth.

[ 11. September 2007, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Patrick ]

Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, LD caused severe obstructive apnea for me and CPAP has saved my life. I could not tolerate the mask, as the air flow burned my face and made it prickle and swell.

I use the Breeze nasal pillows system instead. It is wonderful, and I would not do without it. I cannot take ABX, so I will probably need CPAP for whatver time I have left.

The heater is a must for me. I keep it on a very low setting (1), but it makes a lot of difference. I found that using one size larger nasal pillows than prescribed got rid of the feeling of cold air rushing into my nose, and now it feels just like normal breathing.

I used to wake up every 1 1/2 hrs. and got up to pee 4-7 times per night. It can take time to see results if you've had problems for a long time.

By the time I'd used CPAP for about 6 mos., I'd been able to sleep in two blocks of four hours each, and only get up to pee twice. It has stayed that way, and I am now almost at the one year mark.

CPAP has dramatically increased my energy level. It did not deliver on other things I was promised though, ie. center body weight loss, no more depression, lower blood sugar, less pain, and less morning stiffness.

In fact, my moring stiffness increased dramatically at first, since I was making up for years of no deep sleep, and often stayed in once position for hours without moving.... I slept like the dead, and ended up with severe sciatica at first. But, I stuck with it and am glad I did.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sleep Doc's opinion:

Central Apnea: Maybe

Obstructive Apnea: Probably not

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
patrick, my 3 different masks all cover nose/mouth; they just don't work for me, and the machine is SO LOUD; not great for a person where noise bothers me so much!

thx for suggestion though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In our local group everyone who has had problems with sleep apnea has had it turn out to be Babesiosis related!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe my obstructive sleep apnea is partly related to lyme and possibly co-infections.

Genetics determine some of a persons propensity to get obstructive sleep apnea - size of neck - shape of neck etc.. but lyme and co-infections often cause throat swelling, swallowing difficulties, sore throat, allergies, sinus problems, muscle problems, weight gain, fluid retention and maybe other things that can cause someone to tip over into sleep apnea.

The result of lyme in some people is fibromyalgia. There are a number of studies that show a connection between fibromyalgia and sleep apnea.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement