LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cold Feet - Literally!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold Feet - Literally!
johnnyb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have this intermittent symptom where my feet will feel ice cold for a day (here and there), where no matter how warm my socks are it just doesn't help. At the same time I feel tired / weak.

I can feel the pulses in my feet....

Heart tests, including a catheterization, were normal, except that cardiopulmonary stress test which shows some sort of cardio limitation.

Are cold feet ALWAYS a circulatory symptom?

Possibly adrenal fatigue (and therefore temporary low blood pressure?) or low blood sugar?

Any ideas here? Should I be going for an ultrasound of that femur artery that they used for the cath? Or is that excessive? Cath was done in July.

Wish I had a bucket of warm water right now! [Wink]

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your thyroid levels checked?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi johnny

I don't have any answers to your question regaurding cause & effect. I have had cold issues, chills & cold extremities. I have had my thyroid tested & very normal on all levels so for me I know it's probably a lyme thing.

But it is good advise by sixgoofykids to get yours checked. It would be a good idea to talk to your doctor & have any additional tests for your heart too, specially in light of your last stress test fingings.

Since I started garlic supps I have noticed an increase in body temp...in particular my cold feet and hands.

In my case, If nothing else, I think the garlic is heating things up. I have been using the enteri-coated kind & take with a full meal to avoid stomach upset.

hope this helps

take care
dana

ps: I got these socks that have bean bag bottoms & ya nuke them in the micro wave. Then wear them . They feel really good...( ya might want to try & google them)

I have also resorted to a heating pack in the past to warm up my feet

none of the above is medical advise...just my 2 cents

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this, my hands and feet would feel ice cold but my body would be warm. Is your body temp below 98.6?

Armour Thyroid (low dose) has helped bring my temp back up. I think it has to do with the bodys fight or flight mode and the body will draw the blood supply to the body and away from the limbs which will cause them to turn cold.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Six, its been awhile since I had them checked, and now I have been taking half an iodoral a day or so for about a week (had the cold feet problems before this though).

Byron, even with the accurate thermometer from the Wilson's site, I never get above 97.8, best case. This is for a random, during-the-day reading, not basal.

Dana, those microwaveable bean-bag socks sound SO good right now [Smile]

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gismatrix
Member # 12878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gismatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to this disease and newly diagnosed after going from doc to doc trying to figure it out. Finally did. Anyway, I also have very cold feet and do think that it is (or can be) a Lyme thing. I did read it somewhere else but can not remember the source. I am on a beta blocker too, which predisposes me to the cold feet, but it is much worse than before I had all the other symptoms (brain fog, sore neck, etc..). My body temp is lower consistently as well...97.6 on average.

--------------------
"Sometimes trouble just follows a man" - Clint Eastwood as Josey Wales

Posts: 40 | From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Hey, guys I am definitely going to have my thyroid and Iodine levels checked again.... I found an answer to a previous question on this site:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=18395

Basically, it says that the iodine in contrast dye CAN influence your thyroid, just like "regular" iodine.

I had previously mentioned that I tend to feel better for a little while after I've had a CT with contrast, and maybe it is because my iodine levels are low!

Gotta follow up on this with the doc for sure!

- JB

ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best way to have thyroid checked is through a 24hr. urine test. Check out DR. Crist's website...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too, me too! Cold, cold feet every few days out of the month, even when I have moderate fevers (which is literally everyday. thanks, Babs. Grrrr.). Heating pad helps, but only while it's on 'em. Then back to chilly willy again.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cayenne pepper capsules help with circulation.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hypercoagulation
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they turn dead white or blue? Mine turned dead white-yellow- yuck!

I got Raynauds Syndrome with Babesiosis- it went away with Mepron- but they would turn dead white and COLD ice ice COLD- my hands too!!!

all gone for years now THANK GOODNESS!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_syndrome

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too always had cold feet. It didn't matter if the rest of me was comfortable, my feet were freezing. But even during the winter months I never ever felt warm. I'm hypothyroid so naturally I thought it had to be my thyroid playing with my body thermostat and had my Intern test and test my T3 & T4 looking for answer.

He continued saying it's not the thyroid. Finally I faced another of my sx and that was depression. Cymbalta 60 mg within three weeks in the winter months and I noticed my feet weren't cold and my body temperature seemed to be higher.

Counselor and meds doc had never heard anyone say they felt warmer with Cymbalta. So after doing some searching, I finally realized the cold problem probably came from lack of serotonin.

Serotonin is a regulator for body temps. I also seemed to body ache more in the winter in the cold, so my total body aching has greatly improved also.

Pam

In the central nervous system, serotonin is believed to play an important role in the regulation of anger, aggression, body temperature , mood, sleep, vomiting, sexuality, and appetite. Low levels of serotonin may be associated with several disorders, namely increase in aggressive and angry behaviors, clinical depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), migraine, irritable bowel syndrome, tinnitus, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders[citation needed] and intense religious experiences[1]. If neurons of the brainstem that make serotonin--serotonergic neurons--are abnormal, there is a risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).[2][3]

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had/have both hypercoagulation AND Raynaud's. They actually feel different for me and you might not know the difference unless you happen to have both obviously. I had Raynaud's long before my hypercoagulation became obvious.

For me Raynaud's didn't involve all of my hands and feet/legs at the same time. When ever I felt cold and it didn't even have to be cold, cuz I felt cold a lot I would get the Raynaud's. It usually affected specific toes or fingers, usually the same ones over and over. Say if it was a finger, it might start going numb from the first joint down. There would almost be a visible line of where the blood was no longer reaching, like a had a rubberband around my finger. It would turn blanch white and be numb AND tingly. The tingly is kwhat usually made me notice it was happening. It could be gone and the affected part back to normal in 10-20 mins.

Now with the hypercoagulation.....totally different. When this began to be obvious, it was nearly all the time. ICEY cold hands, feet legs, butt and nose. My hands and feet/legs were a blanch white and often the soles of my feet would be black as the thick, sticky blood pooled in my feet. I didn't feel so much numb as heavy, cuz they probably were since the blood was pooling. There was usually a bluish lace like pattern on my legs and arms as well.

The two really do feel very different AND look very different. I have NEVER been hypothyroid.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Thanks for all the good info, guys. The jury is still out on whether its hypercoagulation or thyroid (or maybe a bit of both).

I've been doing my basal temp every morning (underarm) and so far its been between 96.4 and 97 (more often 96.4). Gotta give results to the doc when done and see what he says. Also will be testing iodine levels.

On the hypercoagulation side, I make sure I take my bromelain and, if things are really bad, cayenne.

Haven't had the cold feet for at least a few days now, but I HAVE been more active / busy, so maybe I'm keeping things flowing better.

Thanks again!

- JB

farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JB,

Another possibility is that the bacteria is actually in your feet, closing down microcirculation. I think this may be one factor since you feel pulses in your feet, and the problem is periodic. You may try treating your feet directly with heat or the detox foot patches, and see if the issue improves. When or if it does, you may also feel the pulsing and feel like the problem moves somewhere else. I believe this is the bacteria "relocating" when an environment is no longer hospitable to it. I also found niacin and the flush it causes to help open the microcirculation.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucecaboose
Member # 13058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucecaboose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just ran across this post and just wanted to add that I have hypercoagulation and Raynaud's, and the best thing I've found for my feet are the Toasti-Toes by Heatmax.

I buy a case at a time for $39.99 at Amazon (free shipping). These are the ones that have the adhesive so that you can stick them to your socks. They last about 8 hours for me, and even retain some warmth after 12.

I started with the arch supported insoles with the area at the top so that you can slide the non-adhesive hot packs into the toe area, but the problem with that was when I got home and wanted to take my shoes off, I would have to put the insoles into slippers and it was just kind of a bother. So, even though these saved me at the time, I like the Toasti-toes much better.

For hands, I used to use the gloves with the zipped pouch on the back of the knuckles where you can slide the HotHands heaters (also by Heatmax). But the problem here is that gloves are just not a good idea. When your fingertips hurt the minute you go outside, and your fingers turn white, heat on the back of your hands is not enough.

I now wear mittens and keep the Hothands packets inside. These last even longer than the Toasti-toes, like 12-14 hours.

I know that winter is starting to fade in some areas so I'm a little late, but these products have helped me so much in the last four years. I don't know what I would do without them. Just wanted to share.

Posts: 43 | From Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement