LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » propranolol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: propranolol
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I heard that this beta-blocker can decrease the chances of babesia jumping from one blood cell to the other.

Does anybody else have information on how propanol fights babesia?

Thanks

[ 16. September 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: savebabe ]

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow....I never heard that. Where did you read it??

I've been taking atenolol ever since my first babesia herx because it affected my heart.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Published online before print April 16, 2007, 10.1073/pnas.0607263104
PNAS | April 24, 2007 | vol. 104 | no. 17 | 7247-7252

BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES / MICROBIOLOGY
Borrelia burgdorferi intercepts host hormonal signals to regulate expression of outer surface protein A

Mark R. Scheckelhoff*, Sam R. Telford, Mary Wesley*, and Linden T. Hu*,

*Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tupper Research Institute, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111; and Division of Infectious Diseases, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, Grafton, MA 01536

Edited by John J. Mekalanos, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, and approved March 18, 2007 (received for review August 23, 2006)

The Borrelia burgdorferi infectious cycle requires that the organism adapt to vast differences in environmental conditions found in its tick and mammalian hosts.

Previous studies have shown that B. burgdorferi accomplishes this accomodation in part by regulating expression of its surface proteins. Outer surface protein A (OspA) is a borrelial protein important in colonization of the tick midgut.

OspA is up-regulated when the organism is in its tick host and down-regulated when it is in a mammalian host.

However, little is known about how it is up-regulated again in a mammalian host in preparation for entry into a feeding tick.

Here, we report that the host neuroendocrine stress hormones, epinephrine and norepinephrine, are specifically bound by B. burgdorferi and result in increased expression of OspA.

This recognition is specific and blocked by competitive inhibitors of human adrenergic receptors.

To determine whether recognition of catecholamines, which are likely to be present at the site of a tick bite, may play a role in preparing the organism for reentry into a tick from a mammalian host, we administered a -adrenergic blocker, propranolol, to infected mice.

Propranolol significantly reduced uptake of B. burgdorferi by feeding ticks and decreased expression of OspA in B. burgdorferi recovered from ticks that fed on propranolol-treated mice.

Our studies suggest that B. burgdorferi may co-opt host neuroendocrine signals to inform the organism of local changes that predict the presence of its next host and allow it to prepare for transition to a new environment.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard something like this from Dr H's office.

Anybody else?

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Oh here....I found a piece of the article my llmd gave me.

MALARIA AN OLD DRUG WITH A HIDDEN TALENT

Researchers at Northwestern University say that they have discovered a way to get around resistance to standard malaria treatment, one that won't reguire the development of an expensive new drug. Propranolol, a 40 year old medicine for high blood pressure, stope the parasites that cause malaria from hijacking the red blood cells they use to prolifereate.

A researcher team led by Dr. K decided that instead of attacking the parasite directly, they would block its entry into blood cells. Working with mice, they discovered that the beta-blocker propranolol caused red blood cells to reject the parasite. Left exposed, the parasites in propranolol-treated animals could be killed with on-tenth the amount of antimalarial medicine normally required.

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow..........there is hope!
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting: My MD gave me Propranolol for anxiety and I had a relatively rapid response to Babs treatment around the same time.

What a coincidence [Wink]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe,

Did Dr.H suggest it might be worth trying??

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

I believe he is putting his patients on it who have chronic babs.
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was prescribed this for Babs about a month ago, but haven't started it yet with my Babs treatment.
Thanks for posting the article regarding the research. I have been looking for a month now.

My LLMD prescribed it on the phone when I called for a Larium fix, and they said take the Propanolol instead. Didn't have a clue what it was until I went to the pharmacy to pick it up and found out it was a beta blocker. It is good to hear that someone has seen improvement.

I guess I will put on my big girl pants and try it.

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Here is another thought.... if propranolol protects the cells from becoming infected and it is safe to take during pregnancy, than this may stop children being born with babs.

Any thoughts?

ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the dose normally prescribed?

I happen to have Babs but also happen to be prescribed Propranolol for a "trigger-happy" autonomic nervous system. A cardiologist says I just happen to have an autonomic nervous system that overreacts to any stressful stimuli, even low stress stuff.

I love the way the Propranolol kind of evens me out. I still have some trouble with my BP shooting up for brief periods - I have a huge case of "white coat anxiety" and it is always high in the doc's office but always normal or low at home or in other situations, like in drug stores at their machines, etc. Low actually, and the doc clearly said that he cannot put me on too much as it would go too low. It is not unusual for me to find it 90/60 sometimes, then every so often while at the doc's office 160/100. Extremely weird.

But the kind I take is the Inderal LA (for long-acting) and this in fact just recently went generic. So it is Propranolol SA 160 mg.

Funny thing is the doc thinks my hyper-sensitive autonomic nervous system is from neurological damage from Lyme. Wonder if it is Babs instead? Who knows. All this is related to some extent.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this up. Can anyone confirm the dose of propranolol they are taking?

Is it the time-release type?

Just curious. Thanks.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD has now suggested this to me - the dose is low, it's Inderal LA 60mgs daily.

I already tend towards low BP etc, did anyone find that the Inderal made this even worse?? Or at a low dose like this is it ok??

Will discuss it with him, but if any of you have experience would be good to hear.

Thanks
Elaine

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Well, then, I must be taking plenty since my does is already 160 mg Inderal LA.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement