LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My head is in a vice---what helps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My head is in a vice---what helps?
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Since August neuro-Lyme symptoms are returning even while on antibiotics.

One is severe head muscle tension w/ringing ears and sound sensitivity 24/7.

In 3 years the only help was increasing doses of Klonopin. All common headache pills failed.

I dont want to use Klonopin again, it makes me even more emotionaly and mentaly unstable.

Has anyone found something else that relieves this type of tension headache?

My wonderful wife of 18 years and my 5 children would love to see this better!

Thanks! BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that same feeling with babesia including the ear ringing.

It exacerbates while herxing on malarone.

Have you been treated for co-infections?

Just a thought.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks

I have not been tested for or specifically treated for co-infection.

I have always assumed I most likely have at least one due to the multitude of my symptoms.

I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the antibiotics I'm on take care of them too.

2X daily I take 500mg ea. of Cefuroxime(ceftin) and Clarithromycin (biaxin)

Whats the treatment for your co-infection? (just curious)

Thanks, BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GardenLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GardenLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to be tested for the co's - Babesia will not be helped w/ abx alone - you need anti-maleria drugs for that.

Most of the others will be targeted by abx - but depending on what abx u are on & what co's u have - you may or may not be targeting them.

I just got rid of a terrible headache from a herx w/ Sarsparilla - which binds endo-toxins from die off. Tried the chiropractor 1st - knocked it down maybe 30% for a day or 2 - then right back up to crisis level. Accupuncture got rid of it for a week - then back again...But the good news:

Sarsparilla (2-450mg capsules) got rid of it w/in a few hours, and it hasn't come back for 3 weeks or so now. Good ridance! It's avail at health food stores.

I don't take it every day - just when I feel like I'm starting a herx.

You must take it separately from other meds or herbs by 2 hrs on both ends because it can increase absorbsion of some meds & decrese absorbsion of others. Highly impressed with it!Wish I had found it yrs ago...

Hope this helps you (and your loved one's, lol)

(((hug)))

Posts: 176 | From Tenn | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was getting more and more headaches. Then I discovered I was allergic to soy. I cut out soy from my diets, and my headaches stopped.

I have them much less often now. I can usually attribute them to dehydration + too much caffeine (happens when I fly for work) or sometimes new medications.

Have you tried an elimination diet? You eliminate almost all foods from your diet for 2 weeks. If the headaches go away, add in a food every 3-4 days. If you get a headache, you know which food caused it.

You only add a food every 3-4 days, because it can take more than 48 hours for a headache to develop.

There are doctors who can help guide you through the process. There are also websites describing the procces.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few things I have learned...

A shot of Tramadol followed by a 3000mg orally of fiorsett kicks it out for crisis for me...however, your doc has to be willing to actually treat the crisis "migraine"....even if its not true migraine, as long as your MRI is clear you can be treated strongly for migraine.

My doc doesn't even require an appt. to do this for me.

Weekly visits to the chiro...I mean weekly, and there is just no budging on that.

Also, Lyrica three times a day reduces the frequency of the crisis and keeps me from having the daily headache all day every day. Its been a blessing.

Headaches are my number one symptom. I can deal with the rest, after all these years I am used to finctioning on one cylander and get up and walk and work even when I feel like I cannot. The headaches, however, can bring me to my knees. All I can tell you is what keeps mine manageable.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get treated for babesia ASAP!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two possibilities that can cause these headaches come to mind right off the bat.

1. Babesia.... and do go slowly with the treatment until you know how badly you will react... ok?

2. 5 children. Need I say more?

Feel better soon!!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks every one, that last one made my wife and I laugh!

It can be "interesting" having a very sound sesitive headache with all the noise.

I'll be talking to my doctor about the babesia/ co-inf next week.

Thanks, BJK

--------------------
BJK

lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the headache is muscle induced, perhaps trigger point therapy to release the muscle spazms causing the 'referred pain' that indeed makes your head feel like it's in a vice.

Poke around the back of your skull with a knuckle. Find any lumps or really sore spots?

If you do, press REALLY hard on the spot and hold it for as long as you can take it. If the vice feeling lifts and now the spot you jammed just is sore, you indeed have found your problem.

If you find it, you'll need to bust up the spazm - they do not go away on their own. Repeated pressure, lotions with Arnica, and trigger point therapy should fix it up.

A common result of being low in magnesium.

Not saying this is what it is, but this is what mine turned out to be.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bk,

i have extreme sensitivties to noise; hubby has lost hearing in 1 ear and wears hearing aid with other but still doesn't hear well.

he plays everything loud; try construction ear muffs or yellow cushions to stick in your ears.

tinnitius ringing in ears comes and goes all the time.

i also have extreme sensitivity to all lights, glare, and reflection. i keep things as dark as possible, covering up or taking down reflective things.

don't have co-infections; good luck.

what are ages of 5 kids? [Wink] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

I have 2 boys and 3 girls (all very pretty-tough being the Dad)

They are 15, 13, 11, 9, and 7. Great kids!

Last year we had one child in every school in town.

Other symtoms returnig at the same time--

small muscle twithes/ legs crawl, head "bobbing", balance issues, walking (gait)problems, hard to concentrate,

fleeting pain, fatigue, sweats, very little stress makes all worse

Some things that are all better (so far), no more: joint pain/stiffness, large uncontrolable muscle movements,

"freezing" during movement, swollen glands, rib pain, jaw stiffness, problems swallowing (tongue wouldnt cooperate),

rotting teeth, swollen abdomen, stomach problems, skin sensitivity, light sensitivity,

severe disorientation, insomnia, and I couldnt smile

So, despite the recent setback, Im thankful for overall progress. I was really a mess.

Thanks BJK

--------------------
BJK

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement