LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have you had side effects on Biaxin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you had side effects on Biaxin?
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you had side effects so bad on Biaxin that you had to quit?

If so what were your side effects and how did you know they were side effects and not a herx?

How soon after starting did you notice the side effects?

Any mental/mood changes? Any burning stomach or GI issues?

Anyone continue and have side effects subside?

(Edit: My husband and I both have had great success on Biaxin with zero side effects, none. My son has just started it and has mentioned some interesting "effects" almost immediately that I never experienced.)

Thanks in advance.

[ 20. September 2007, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymebytes:
Have any of you had side effects so bad on Biaxin that you had to quit?

*Yes

If so what were your side effects and how did you know they were side effects and not a herx?

*Severe depression and anxiety + burning skin got 5 x worse. I'm not sure if they were a herx or a side effect but I couldt just stand them. Mental things might have been a side effect, Biaxin does that.

How soon after starting did you notice the side effects?

*Depression on the 2nd day

Any mental/mood changes? Any burning stomach or GI issues?

*mental/mood changes, yes. Not much stomach problems.

Anyone continue and have side effects subside?

*Not me.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BartonFink
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BartonFink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I might add that I got problems even with minimal doses like 125 mg.

--------------------
Please dont suggest "ask your LLMD" because we dont have them here in this country... [Frown] I just have to count on you fellow patients. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From Finland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ou were having a herx barton.

When I think ABX side effects they usually are rashes, breathing problems, swelling, vomiting... and the reaction usually happens after taking it. Not days later

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
contipation and metallic taste.

All the rest was a herx.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah...that lovely metallic taste! Drink LOTS of water all day long!

It was a great drug for me. I took it for a year and a half!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad taste in mouth mostly when I wake up
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby is supposed to add that soon, with the malarone he started on Sunday.

I can really tell the malarone is doing a number on him. He's getting closer to the dose our LLMD wants him on, but it's tough.

I don't know when we'll get the biaxin added. May have to wait a couple of weeks.

lymebytes, it sounds to me like a herx reaction. Hang in there.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaWolf
Member # 10578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had to stop biaxin with the kiddo because of liver issues. We will start it up again soon, hopefully. It seemed to help him a lot.

He never got the metallic taste but he did lose his appetite and had some acid reflux.

--------------------
~Ro~

Don't wait for someone to take you under their wing. Find a good wing and climb up underneath it~ Frank C. Bucaro

Posts: 80 | From Desert Southwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking Biaxin for H. Pylori. 500 mg twice daily. At first, I had the metallic taste too but no more. I don't think it is the drug that causes the metallic taste but rather the results of the drug. When the H.Pylori is killed, metals are released back into the body and we get that nasty taste.

Just this week, I did a Garlic Juice which involves apples, lime, ginger and a whole bulb of garlic. Garlic is supposed to be especially effective against H. Pylori. After drinking a quart of this throughout the day, that night I awoke with the metallic taste. So I don't think Biaxin causes the bad taste but rather the dead H. Pylori. Clearly the garlic had a beneficial effect even after the Biaxin seems to not be having a noticeable effect anymore.

The doctor wants me to increase the Biaxin to 1000mg twice daily to kill the babesia. She warned me I would need Enbril or another immune suppressant in order to tolerate this strong a dose of Biaxin (I have lyme induced Rheum. Arthritis). So far, just through a fluke, I have not begun the immune suppressing drugs. However, twice I tried upping the Biaxin because I am having painfree days and each time, the joints flared.

You might try the Garlic Juice for awhile to help bring down the bacterial load. Then perhaps you could tolerate the Biaxin better. The juice actually tastes very good and I could not taste the garlic at all.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in the exact recipe.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luvs2ride - that would be a great way to know if we had metals in our body, if Biaxin gave us a metallic taste! I hope your theory is right, Biaxin has never given me any taste of any kind in the past year on it, so if you are right I don't have any metals floating around. [Wink]

Son though is having a different experience - he always has been like his father and he had the metallic taste too! [lol]

[ 20. September 2007, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement