LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Weight, diet, and treatment...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight, diet, and treatment...
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I have gained so much weight and it's just adding on each time I have to step on the scales. It seems like my body has officially been hi-jacked by these dern spirochetes! Over the last seven months I've put on 20+ pounds. I used to be healthy and active. He**, I was a belly dancer, now I have the belly and no energy to dance. I have ridiculosly high cholesterol eventhough I am a strict vegitarian bordering on vegan. I have a relatively healthy diet. So, my questions are:
1)Will abx halt this weight gain, or will it make it worse? I'll take more weight if it means I get better!
2) My thyroid tests are all normal. Anyone else have this? Where is it coming from?? I still try to exercise when possible.
3)Can someone explain the sugar implications/restrictions during treatment? If I can start a pattern now, before I start IV abx, will it help?
4) Has anyone been able to lose the weight after or during treatment?

I used to be blessed with a metabolism that was constant. I carried 135-140lbs on my 5'7" frame from the time I was 15 until recently. (I'm 31 yrs. old now.) I want my body back, and by body I mean not only my physical appearance, but the healthy-functioning body and brain that I used to have!!!

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am from WV too. I have gone from a size 6 to a 16-18. I just bagged up 21 bags of size 6 clothing to give away..... ( I kept a few classic things just in case)

I joined Weight Watchers. Its hard when you dont feel like even walking. I think we are also so mentally drained you cant think of dieting.... it hard.

I will be here for you if you need to vent.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks trouble! I just tried to send you a PM. I'll try a little later.

--------------------
Mountaingirl

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 138 | From West Virginia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mtgirl,

I think the right treatment helps. Getting inflammation down and treating yeast will help you loose the weight. I gained a lot of weight at my sickest point, right after my son was born I gained 50 pds in less than a year. It was traumatizing.

Many people gain weight from lyme, it's very common. When I was treated for Babesia I started to loose the weight, I have lost 64 pds so far and now am in a six 6. It was very slow for me though.

I thought it would never happen. I thought I would be in plus sizes the rest of my life. I had tried so many diets, protein power, carb addicts etc, and never lost more than 5 pds.

When you are so sick you can't move because every movement hurts, your knees are swollen and you have inflammation that will not go away it's almost impossible to loose, it was for me.

It will happen for you both hang in there.

[group hug]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kai_ilima
Member # 12475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kai_ilima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same happen to me. I gained about 20lbs last year and was going crazy. I called my LLMD in tears, I felt like the girl in Charlie and the chocolate factory, the one that explodes into a blueberry. I eat healthy go for walks, use the excercise equipment in the gym and the lbs kept packing on. All test came back with nothing wrong with my thyroid. I'm starting to feel better now, on low dose of abx and have dropped about 10lbs. I agree with Beverly, get the infection down, under control whatever and hopefully the weight will come off.

anessa

Posts: 16 | From kansas city | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a high cholesterol and a vegan diet you must have hypothyroid. It's unheard of to have high cholesterol with a vegan diet. Those tests (like Lyme) are not reliable. Where is your TSH? Is it near 1?

If you have a great HDL, don't worry about your cholesterol (unless it's off the charts). A low HDL would be something to be concerned about. But if you are hypothyroid, you need medicine!

I too, am 5'7" and weighed what you did. I gained 50lbs without even trying 5 years ago and could not lose it with strict diet and lots of exercise.

Last year lost 30(I believe it's from being put on armour thyroid even with my "normal" tests),but gained 20 back this year when I had a car accident and couldn't move at all for 3 months. Oh, well!

quote:
Originally posted by Mtgirl:
Hello,

I have gained so much weight and it's just adding on each time I have to step on the scales. It seems like my body has officially been hi-jacked by these dern spirochetes! Over the last seven months I've put on 20+ pounds. I used to be healthy and active. He**, I was a belly dancer, now I have the belly and no energy to dance. I have ridiculosly high cholesterol eventhough I am a strict vegitarian bordering on vegan. I have a relatively healthy diet. So, my questions are:
1)Will abx halt this weight gain, or will it make it worse? I'll take more weight if it means I get better!
2) My thyroid tests are all normal. Anyone else have this? Where is it coming from?? I still try to exercise when possible.
3)Can someone explain the sugar implications/restrictions during treatment? If I can start a pattern now, before I start IV abx, will it help?
4) Has anyone been able to lose the weight after or during treatment?

I used to be blessed with a metabolism that was constant. I carried 135-140lbs on my 5'7" frame from the time I was 15 until recently. (I'm 31 yrs. old now.) I want my body back, and by body I mean not only my physical appearance, but the healthy-functioning body and brain that I used to have!!!

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your adrenal levels tested? Adrenal fatigue can cause a slow metabolism. And adrenal fatigue can be caused by Lyme.

Also, are you eating lots of protein? As a former vegetarian, I know that the veggie diet can be very healthy with lots of veggies and vegetable protein, or it can be very, very carb heavy.

Eating protein with every meal is supposed to help the metabolism. You might also want to consider getting your amino acid levels tested and supplementing if you are low.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mtgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mtgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. Point me in a good direction. I am hoping that my LLMD will take a good look at this when I finally have my appointment in late October. I'd like a 24 hour urine free-cortosol test to look for adrenal fatigue or cushing's.

I have lots of carbs in my diet; ie, rice, pasta, etc. I'm not an absolute vegan, but a strict vegitarian. I do eat lots of tofu, seitan, and tempeh. I live in a vegan household, so no animal products are consumed at home. However, I seriously love cheese (it's my secret), and probably always will, but I don't chow down on cheese often.

As for my labs, my TSH is (or at least was) 1.7, and my cholestrol was 237 (high), VLDL 28.2 (high), LDL was 134(high),and my HDL was 55. My Cholesterol Risk Ratio was low at 3.9.

You are so helpful.

--------------------
Mountaingirl

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement