LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have you gained weight?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you gained weight?
fushiacat
Member # 13165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fushiacat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone gained weight with this sickness? I certainly have despite being more careful than ever.
Posts: 25 | From Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a under statement.
I have found if you stick to low carb and plenty of meats fats it comes back off.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaWolf
Member # 10578

Icon 11 posted      Profile for MamaWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah. Big time.

I think in my case it is (in part) due to decreased activity coupled with the thyroid and hormonal issues.

I have had this odd disease for many, many years but had a relapse in 2004.

Since that time (to now) I have gained about 65 pounds while really and truly trying not to. My average weight is (was) 110-114. When I first got sick I lost down to 80 pounds. I regained that and stayed at my normal weight for years.

As early as two years ago I was still working outside of the home 5 evenings a week... doing all of my volunteer work (about 10-20 hours a week), and home-schooling my two kids (one was also very ill during that time).

I never had time to just sit.. now it takes great effort just to get off my ever expanding butt! [bonk]

Now I weigh 175. [Eek!]

--------------------
~Ro~

Don't wait for someone to take you under their wing. Find a good wing and climb up underneath it~ Frank C. Bucaro

Posts: 80 | From Desert Southwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah bummer - I gained like 15 pounds overnight - I swear- it happened so fast I didn't know it was happening. I noticed my UNDERWEAR was stretched so far it was ripping holes in the seams. (I work from home so sweatpants always - very forgiving).

The lyme had messed with my thyroid - I have an autoimmune disease- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -brought on by Lyme. My Lyme is under control after 6 months of antibiotics. Still struggling with the weight issue though since my metabolism is not what is used to be because of the thyroid problem. I am on Armour Thyroid trying to control it. I am 5'3", normal weight 120 - went up to 147 - down to 132 now. Want to be 120 again!
Maybe talk to your LLMD about thyroid issues. I think most LLMDs know thyroid can be an issue with Lyme for some people.
Good luck!
Julie

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, let's delete this topic!!! i've gone from a nice size 6, about 125 pounds, to GASP!! 192, and size 16-18.

i just cry when i look in the mirror. and i'm eating less and less...

i'd give anything to loose it, and now i'm trying to walk at least a mile every day, but i'm going to have to give it up. my knees just can't take it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gained, too - it's a stinker. *Sigh*

Just found out recently I have Hashimoto's brought on by Lyme, too. I'm on Synthroid, but plan to ask about Armour Thyroid.

Julie, does treating the Hashimoto's help get the weight off, or is this going to be a battle forever??

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cactus,
I think the Lyme treatment helped the most getting my weight under control. As I was on antibiotics the overnight weight I gained came off.

I think the thryoid med will help my metabolism once we get it regulated. It's still not working since my temp is usually under 97 degrees. Before Lyme it was always 98.6. I think the goal with thyroid med is to get your temp stablized at 98.6 (if that is your normal) and keep it there.

My LLMD and I have to adjust the Armour dosage. I have heard good things here about Armour and was so glad that is where my LLMD went, instead of synthetic.

So for us Hashimoto Sufferers: a) treat the Lyme with ABX b)get your metabolism back with thyroid
hormone therapy. b) is easier said than done but I think it can happen! Good luck to you!

Julie

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bystander
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bystander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I be your control group?
I don't have Lyme (my partner does) but I've gained weight since her diagnosis. So you can write off the first 10 pounds to stress.

Posts: 204 | From ma | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatpianka
Member # 12244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatpianka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!

And I'm miserable because of it. Well, there are other reasons for being miserable, but I'm preaching to the choir.

I have gained about 30 pounds. Normally I'm around 145 or so (I'm have a very muscular build at 5'2" - former gymnast), now I'm at about 175. I don't know exactly how much I weigh since I refuse to weigh myself. I just know that my clothes don't fit anymore.

Posts: 97 | From Clinton, CT | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bystander, my partner will be in the control group, too. We call the weight gain there "sympathy weight" but it's probably more about stress.

Thanks, Julie, at least there is hope. My temp is always on the high side (babs, I think) but my bloodwork is looking better so hopefully the metabolism will get back on track soon, too.

Didn't mean to get off topic, fuschia - I think lots of us either gain or lose weight. I gained a lot of mine when on babs treatment, and chalked it up to eating fat with the Mepron. Now I think it was related to thyroid issues, as a result of Lyme. You might keep an eye on your thyroid...

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement