LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Loss of Sense of Humor & Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loss of Sense of Humor & Lyme Disease
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archives of Internal Medicine, Vol. 160 No. 16, September 11, 2000, American Medical Association

Loss of the Sense of Humor & Lyme Disease

In mid-May, my 94-year-old father and I were discussing the significance of 0 and its impact on theoretical mathematics. Four weeks later, he was totally demented. He was taking no medication, and all routine blood and urine studies, brain imaging, and a spinal tap yielded no diagnosis. One week later, a high titer of Lyme antibody was found in a cerebrospinal fluid specimen, and the diagnosis of neuroborreliosis was unequivocally substantiated by Western blot analysis. Eight weeks after a 28-day course of
intravenous ceftriaxone sodium (1 g/d), his mental function returned to an estimated 90% of his premorbid intellect. That was when I gave
him a short vignette written in a humorous vein, relating to the purchase of a ballpoint pen.

I awaited his response with interest. To my disappointment, all he said was, "Where is the pen? May I see it?" I was disappointed, but
replied "I'll get you the pen, but what do you think of my article?" "It was a cheap pen" was his response. "Was there anything else that
occurred to you about what I have written?" I persisted. "No," he replied, "it was a cheap pen." It seemed to me that a more direct
approach was needed. "Did you think my article was humorous, was it funny?" I asked. "No," he said, "I didn't think it was funny." That
was when I realized that he had lost his sense of humor. This did not make any sense to me, until I read an article on humor appreciation
in Brain.1

Humor is not needed for day-to-day functioning, but its absence undoubtedly dampens social interaction. A person who does not appreciate humor may feel left out of the conversation. Most of us have read a joke or seen a cartoon the "point" of which escapes us. If
realization does not dawn upon us or the humor remains unexplained, it can lead to frustration and irritation. I imagine that this may well
be so with persons who have lost the ability to appreciate humor because of an illness. To speak of a "center for humor" may be an oversimplification of the psychopathology involved. Loss of humor as a sequel of illness is poorly recognized, and an appreciation of this impairment is needed in the treatment of such patients.

Sundaram V. Ramanan, MD
Hartford, Conn

Loss of the Sense of Humor
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/issues/v160n16/ffull/ilt0911-1.html

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask anyone on Saturday night chat I've been saying it for years!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 7 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish some of these physicians and researchers could learn to write abstracts with, if not a sense of humor, at least a bit of interesting 'flow' to them.

Most of them just make me sleepy...

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes indeed this phenom has waxed and waned in me as well.

It's really too bad, because that's all we have sometimes.

fxd

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

30+ years of infection...

Never lost my sense of humor. It has changed over the years BUT I think everyone's changes as they grow up and mature.

I do see some people here are lacking...no offense to anyone, of course.

[lol]

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to be a freekin clown !!!
NOW
Iam only freekin!!!

I use to see humor in almost every situation.
robin williams like

Actually when I was younger way worse than him hahaha
Stuff use to roll right off my tounge.
I sure miss it Feel Like such a adult [Roll Eyes]

I loved too party some jokes only certain people got the full extent of, you know theres always some slower ones in the crowd hehehe.

Even now when Iam drinking it dosent happen. [Frown]
But I just thought of something When I was taking Rhodiola rosea I strted to get that way again stuff came to me quicker. hum Iam taking one when I get home. [bonk]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in my IV Rocephin Changed My Life file!!

You know what's weird? My whole younger life I was always told over & over & OVER, by friends & boyfriends & girlfriends & parents,

"You have NO sense of humor!"

I just DIDN'T think things were funny that other people did. I just didn't understand!!! People would EXPLAIN jokes to me and I would just be BLANK!

Now I get it. Since Rocephin my brain has been so much happier in general, better than it was pre-Lyme in many ways- and this is one of them!!!
This is one reason I wonder if I had it my whole life-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:

I use to be a freekin clown !!!
NOW
I am only freekin!!!

:

[lol]
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often wondered...what is Tincup's secret?

She is sooooooo blessed with a sense of humor even in difficult times.

And now...

In memory of the late Marcel Marceau, who passed
away on September 22, readers
have the following thoughts:

I wonder if he had any last words?

In memory of the late Marcel Marceau,
a moment of silence...

Friend: "Marcel Marceau died yesterday."
Me: "You don't say!"

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/current.html

We make fun of our politicians (safe targets) no matter what political party they represent. We had a blast with Clinton-Monica jokes . Here's one about Bush:

So George is doing yet another photo op at an elementary school, and this one's been going pretty well, so he offers to take questions. A little boy raises his hand.

``Okay, you,'' says George, smiling. ``What's your name?''

``Billy.''

``Billy. And what's your question?''

``I have three questions,'' Billy says. ``First, why did you go to war without UN approval? Second, why are you president when Gore got more votes? Third, where's Osama bin Laden?''

George is taken aback. ``Uh, those are really hard questions,'' he says.

Just then the bell rings. ``Whoops, time for recess!'' George says.

``Guess I'll have to answer your questions when recess is over.''

After recess, when the kids have settled back down again, George says ``Okay, who's got a question?''

A little kid raises his hand, and George calls on him.

``What's your name?'' George asks.

``Steve.''

``Okay, Steve. What's your question?''

``I have five questions,'' Steve says. ``First, why did you go to war without UN approval? Second, why are you president when Gore got more votes? Third, where's Osama bin Laden? Fourth, why did the bell for recess ring twenty minutes early? And fifth, what happened to Billy?''

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/005613.html

Quiz show funny stupid answers for a laugh when you need one:

http://www.office-humour.co.uk/jokes/6334/

Bookmark joke websites and go to them when you need a laugh.

Even Pubmed has lots of abstracts on humor and laughter in medicine! Increased endorphins (feel good chemicals), increased NK cells...

Doctors can be smart and funny...Patch Adams.

Remember Art Linkletter's kid shows? A riot. I smile just thinking about those shows.

Children are automatic laughter machines.

Be "different"...different is funny.

Laughter IS good medicine and contagious.

It IS a wonderful world and you CAN RECOVER your sense of humor.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/shadowpuppets

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 3 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm having a horrible day/herxing, I usually don't find many things, if anything, funny. Even when my husband is talking to me and saying something funny, I'll tell him to just stop because it hurts me to even think. And I wouldn't have the energy to laugh anyway.

With my sense of humor, it really just depends on how well I'm feeling that day. On good days, I can listen to jokes and laugh and think about things. When herxing, I can't do anything. Even just laying down and watching TV seems like too much.

It's hard to have a sense of humor when you've been sick for so long, though, and I understand why people do lose their humor. I know I was very depressed and had no sense of humor when I went 7 months trying to figure out what was making me so sick and doctors were not helpful. It's scary and very depressing when you go to a doctor (they are supposed to be able to dx you and help you through illness whatever it may be) and they turn you away telling you it's your spirit or to see a shrink, but deep down you know you're very sick because only YOU know your body. It's very scary and not fair for people that have to go through that sort of treatment from a doctor.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point here is that a sense of humor is a function of cognition and alertness, and a measure of mental acuity.

Unfortunately, it is often seen ONLY in terms of "character" and, more specifically, in terms of "strength of character".

The hubby and I are both acutely aware that our senses of humor are indicators of mental (and therefore physical) health in each other. When he loses his sense of humor, I know that he is having die off, or a bad reaction to meds, or a relapse. Physiologically, his brain is not functioning correctly due, I assume, to a chemical imbalance or neurotoxins.

[ 27. September 2007, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: minoucat ]

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

I'd say lyme's probably detrimentally affected mine...
Pam S
Member # 13144

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Pam S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a very long time now - I haven't felt like going out to dinner, movie (like that happens a lot anyway) or to the bar - I just dont feel like it. I dont get a kick outta seeing a bunch of drunks slobbering all over each other telling stupid, nasty jokes. Hubby says I'm the "Fun Hater" and my girl friend says "Your fun meter has expired" (the nice way of putting it).

But...after working all day and joints are bad - all you want to do is lay down and do NOTHING. Yeah right!

Now daughter has become the "Fun Hater" more then I have and that is something that I have noticed more in her then in myself. She has lost her sense of humor.

We cant even joke with her at the dinner table, about school, friends, siblings, jokes.....nothing.

I do believe in Laughter Is The Best Medicine....But if they are not right upstairs or in their own bodies - How so you make someone smile, let alone, Laugh?

--------------------
Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who are doing it!

Posts: 34 | From South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had several personality changes since all this slyme !@#$ started happening...but here's a side question

re: bar, parties, bbq's, etc, where alchohol is big part of social interaction, and "what's funny"...how do you handle it, if you're not drinking? I have always used beer as a prop and enabler at gatherings like that, but now that I have all but quit...will ANYthing be "funny"...at least in those settings?

LocalMan

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness I still have mine. I would really hate to lose my sense of humor. [spinning smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=016111
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article Sarah, thanks for posting it.

I've been infected since I was 5 and I have had periods when I just didn't get jokes and like others was told that I have no sense of humor. I've been told for most of my life that I'm too serious.

I think it must be a combination of factors, not just that we don't feel well or at times are depressed but also some form of brain dysfunction.

I find that it helps to be with someone who understands your sense of humor, especially if it is not typical - AND it seems to help if you practice using your sense of humor by exposing yourself to jokes and joking around.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement