LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » No Sugar Diet and Lyme Treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Sugar Diet and Lyme Treatment
savagek
Member # 13061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savagek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Is anybody else on a sugar free diet as my Lyme Literate Doctor told me no sugar at all. From what I read it is recommended for Lyme patients.

I have been working on this and I cant believe how hard it is not to eat sugar!

I use Stevia to sweeten tea, coffee etc.... I drink water all day sometimes lemon/lime water.

Can you drink milk as I believe it has naturally occurring sugar???

Does anyone still eat fruit like apples and kiwi?

Any diet advice?

Thanks,

Rob

Posts: 40 | From Michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would limit all dairy if possible. It does contain natural lactose. You even have to be careful of eating yogurt that contains too much sugar.

Most yogurt is loaded with sugar....even the plain has plenty of naturally occuring sugar.

Fruit is OK if it's in very limited amounts. Granny Smith apples have the least amount of fructose of any fruit.

Have you seen this?

DIET, DIET, DIET is the key. Then, be sure to follow the 5 step plan outlined below. It was developed by my naturopath. It works.

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

"Successful control and elminiation of a Candida Albicans overgrowth requires a multifaceted program as described below. Failure to follow ALL the steps simultaneously will result in slow progress and will lengthen healing time significantly. The program should be tailored to the individual and must balance the need to eliminate the Candida and deprive it of its food source while insuring proper nutrition for the individual."

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract. [...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function. [e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients. [e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,
sugar alcohol caffeine are at least three of the things to avoid while treating for lyme disease.

You'll know soon enough on your own why sugar is to be avoided.
You should experience a hangover type reaction when consuming sugar or sugar products...even fruit juices and some fruits.

At times this is cause by the type of antibiotic you are using to fight lyme disease. Other times it is the reaction of the lyme bacteria itself to utilize sugar for it's own regeneration.

We don't want to give mr Bb and co. anything it can use to procreate now do we?

I suggest you go to search or look into some of the newbie links for your diet regimens.

FXD

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savagek
Member # 13061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savagek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Speaking of Candida, I had a test for this and scored 156 I believe. I am taking Nystatin for the Candida.

Would you still recommend I take additional supplements and probiotics other than the Nystatin and Florastor I am on? Remember, I also take Amoxicillin and Flagyl.

Also, I have recently had loose stools and my Lyme Doctor told me to double the Florastor.

I seen the spit test for Candida, I guess this is a good way to monitor it.

Rob

Posts: 40 | From Michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savagek
Member # 13061

frakktured1,

I have stopped all alcohol and caffeine consumption, I switched to decaf with tea and coffee and I am working on eliminating the sugar.

Do you use any kind of sugar substitute?

Rob

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite probiotic is Theralac. It is awesome! I have heard good things about Florastor also.

Are you taking Nystatin tablets??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savagek
Member # 13061

Yes Nystatin tablets, I am up to 2 tablets 4 times daily.

Between everything I am taking 18 pills daily. I have never taken so many pills in my life!

heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is important to limit sugar and eradicate cane sugar if you can, but i'm of the opinion that you should not cut fruit from your diet. fruit has numerous essential nutrients that we all need, whether we have lyme disease or not; and the fact that those of us with lyme have compromised immune systems makes it even more crucial, in my view, to eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as we can.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MustBeaPony
Member # 11179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustBeaPony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rob,

I really miss red wine, dark choc, coffee, FRUIT - but I wouldn't compromise any chance I have at getting better and/or further weakening my immune system.

I started with IV abx and a strict candida free diet - Lymetoo's advice is great. In addition, following an alkalizing/organic diet helps (secondary to Candida free).

I'm on orals now and weekly diflucan as insurance. Lots of probiotics, no dairy unless its plain keiffer or plain organic yogurt. In addition to Florastor, I take Theralac and a couple of other lactobacill..(sp) varieties. (and tons of supplements)

We can't control much with this stuff but we can control what we consume and make it count, or at least starve Bb and friends. After a while, I didn't miss any of it - except fruit - and I have a better sense of taste for veggies, etc. I was using stevia, but it wasn't worth the hassle and became too sweet. I drink water or mineral water with a splash of unsweetened/organic cranberry, blueberry, blk cherry juice, lemon or lime and sometimes ginger. Be careful not to get one that has a white grape or apple base.

I'm adding back some low glycemic fruits as I am concerned about getting enough glycogens.

Why not take this 'opportunity' to improve eating habits? (still talkin myself into this one)

New favorite - instead of pasta or rice, have 'whatever' served over fresh spinach, opens up many doors when eating out - pretty good.

Happy Healing - Robin

Posts: 47 | From morgantown, wv | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by savagek:

Between everything I am taking 18 pills daily. I have never taken so many pills in my life!

At one point during treatment I was taking 90+ pills a day! Vitamins, calcium, mag, CoQ10, abx, probiotics, and on and on!

I still take more than 18! Would love to take NOTHING!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that my LLMD recommends Sugar Busters as opposed to an Atkins like diet.

I find I feel better with a little bit of natural sugar like in a granny smith apple

Every now and then. Our brains need a quarter pound of sugar a day for energy.

I have to watch for low blood sugar now.

I have to admit to cheating every once in a while too.

I guess I am just a bad girl! Now pass those chocolates please! [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm like Lymetoo ... I'm taking about 70+ pills per day.

I avoid sugar, yeast, alcohol, caffeine, fruit juice ... I do eat raspberries every day and sometimes other fruit. I wear braces so apples don't do well for me. I also consume dairy.

I have to eat carbs or my stomach gets upset, but I do eat protein with a carb and try to make the carb a good choice like brown rice. I do not have a yeast problem, if I did I would probably cut down on carbs.

Once a month I indulge in a bowl of ice cream. [lick] Other than that, I do not cheat.

I had a pretty clean diet before starting treatment, so it hasn't been too difficult.

You might try agave syrup for a sweetener. If I really want sweets, I'll whip some whipping cream with a little agave and put it over berries. I also eat a piece of "fudge" with it.

Fudge - 1 cup ground cacoa beans (use a coffee grinder), 2 cups almond butter (I use raw, organic), 4 tbsp. coconut oil, 1/8 cup agave syrup, 2 tsp. vanilla, salt. Mix together with hand blender, pour in greased baking dish, freeze for 30 minutes, then store in refrigerator.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twopuggles
Member # 10971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twopuggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, no sugar! I eat granny smith apples and berries (strawberries, blueberries, and rasberries) without problems. Can tolerate small amounts of honey in my cereal and on rice cakes. Also, because of yeast it is best to avoid peanuts and corn as well. Since I have been on this regimen I have not had to take the Diflucan. It is hard but worth it... [Smile]
Posts: 49 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im also avoiding sugar strictly - but Im taking nystatin suspension against yeast on the tongue. and did you see how much sugar is in there? its ironic...
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Nystatin tablets. No sugar. Maybe you can request to switch.
Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is agave syrup ok or not if we have candida and/or Lyme??
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal wrote: "Every now and then. Our brains need a quarter pound of sugar a day for energy."

I think really that we need to understand glucose and our brain.

- and how glucose can help prevent excess porphyrins from coating red blood cells IF one's cytochrome P-450 (liver) detox pathway does not have all the enzymes it needs. Some of these enzymes are not available by taking a pill form.

Glucose (&/or beta carotene) can save the life of someone with porphyria, of which there are at least 11 types. There is some literature in the CFIDS/CFS world about temporary or secondary porphyria.

Many with heart issues benefit from another sugar L-Ribose or trade name Corvalen. Again, CFS literature on that. PubMed's site or www.immunesupport.com and the Canadian Porphyria Foundation has a nice site.

That said, IF porphyria or excess porphryins are a problem it may not take much sugar for glucose to save the day.

Glucose can protect neuro cells from dying from toxic overload IF porphyrins are in excess. This is a fact. Glucose can save a life in an acute attack.

That all being said, still much to learn and not everyone has this condition. However, it seems that many with CFS may and I think it may spill over into those with other chronic illness that rely on the liver.

sorry I'm too tired to make this all complete and tidy. In the US sugar is problematic and we have WAY too much. but we might take a look at how our bodies use it, espcially IF porphyria is a factor. A little could literally save a life.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
Is agave syrup ok or not if we have candida and/or Lyme??

The PA at my LLMD's office told me it was okay. Apparently it's low glycemic. I don't think you would want to overdo it just like you wouldn't overdo fruit as agave is fructose.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Im also avoiding sugar strictly - but Im taking nystatin suspension against yeast on the tongue. and did you see how much sugar is in there? its ironic...

Yes, please ask your dr for the tablets. The sugar is VERY counterproductive.

Savage...I use stevia. "Sweet Leaf" has the packets which are good and my favorite is their liquid Lemon Drop stevia.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement