LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Too Much Bad Stuff - Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too Much Bad Stuff - Help!
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 8 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am well into my 2nd week on zithromax & mepron for babesia and lyme. Start Plaquenil in a few days..."cystbuster"?

I have had a couple days where I thought I felt some of it lift, especially mental/depressive stuff, and could actually interact, feel a fraction of my old self...but then things started changing again

now I feel the shakes returning, shooting pain all over (face included), numbness, and thoractic and cervical discs firing up to top it off. Oh yeah I've also got the knarly rotator cuff impingement or whatever it has become feels just like a freaking bayonet wound....sleep in any position is almost impossible, even with all the neurontin, ambien, IBU, and Vicodin I've been alternating.

I'm sick of complaining to my wife, I feel like she's in her own separate (happy) world anyway, and I don't want to scare the kids...but I am scared !@#$less. People at work act somewhat sympathetic but don't have a clue. I don't know if I can hold on to my job at this rate, I don't know if the disc/shoulder degeneration is going to cripple me (I can't do steroids or surgery with the lyme even if I wanted to, anyway)

I was really hoping my 5 year old might be able to remember how her daddy used to win races...I hate to think about the memory she may end up with.

OK sorry for the wallowing...I have to have faith things will get better.

or this is just too much.

LocalMan

[ 04. October 2007, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: LocalMan ]

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It often gets worse before it gets better. You are having a herx reaction. The increased symptoms are are a result of the toxins released from the die off of the Lyme and Babesia.

If it gets intolerable, then you might need to cut back on antibiotics.

Lyme treatment isn't a race. You can't expect to be better in a few weeks. But stick with it.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a major herx to me too.

However, just to be sure, you should call your LLMD.

Don't worry about what your five year old will remember.

They will remember that you love them. That really is the most important.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having those peeks or reminders of wellness. Sometimes I would think now how in the world can someone so sick on minute, feel totally well the next minute? Realizing I wasn't crazy.

I also used to think they were teasers. Then one day I decided they were goals. I was going to get to that place where these periods of wellness were longer and longer. Then I could enjoy them.

I do enjoy them today. But the truth is now those bad periods can be just around the corner???? Maybe tomorrow, tonight, usually in a pattern.

But I keep on going for looking for ways to achieve those goals. Aaahhhhh

It gets better. For you, maybe tonight?????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [group hug]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you are feeling better soon, LM! It's really rough. Some days are a total nightmare. Others you'll feel good...just hang in there until the good days outnumber the bad.

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys. That little glimpse of wellness was tough, especially when it is followed by all this neuro-BS. The Neuro and the discs really worry me. The shaking isn't much fun either. BUt I guess you know that.
Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skt
Member # 13333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have total sympathy with your anxiety and pain. Sleep loss and chronic pain, day and night, can exhaust and freak anyone out, when no one can say when it will get better. I felt the same way on Monday this week. Just sat down on my kitchen floor and sobbed from the misery. But then I got in to see my doctor on Tuesday. He stopped all my abx immediately, and started a different treatment, and whoopee...immediate relief. I don't know how long it will last, but I am thankful today. Hold on!!
Posts: 5 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks....

yeah I wish I knew how much "herx" is good before it becomes just plain bad....is it all just dependant on how much you can handle?

I am starting to cry again, easily, without even really knowing it sometimes, even when I'm half asleep. BUt it's so early in my treatment I feel I need to press on.

LocalMan
(I might need to change moniker to LocOMan).

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to your LLMD -- it sounds to me like a cystbuster would be way too much to add in at this point.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LocalMan:
I wish I knew how much "herx" is good before it becomes just plain bad....is it all just dependant on how much you can handle?

In my opinion, yes!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there! I have terrible degenerative disc disease and know exactly what you mean by that "bayonet" pain. I think for at least 3 years I had one spot where it felt like someone was stabbing me, it never went away no matter what I took. I was on tons of pain meds for years. With treatment for Lyme and Babs I am now pain med free and back in life. It can happen.

The journey is hard, once you have some good days the bad days seem so much worse.

You are killing the little buggers, hang in there!

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local Man:

Sorry you are not feeling well. It really sounds like a herx -- in fact, it sounds like MY herx.

The timing is perfect. Two weeks after starting tx is exactly when you really start feeling it, in my experience.

Hang in there. The good news about herxing is that it is a sign that you are killing off the parasites, in this case babs and borrelia, that you want to kill! I have been in treatment for 15 months, and always found that real improvement is preceded by feeling much worse.

I wish it weren't that way, but it is for TBD treatment. Just take one day at a time, and speak with your llmd about cutting back on treatment if the going gets too rough.

What helped me at this stage was detoxing meds (I take Welchol in the middle of the day, away from abx); saunas; warm baths with epsom salts and baking soda; and lots of extra rest. It took me 2 months before taking malarone (which has the same ingredient as mepron) didn't totally kick my butt and make me unfunctional. Then it got much better.

You will get better if you continue treatment, hang in there!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Thanks Vermont, and the rest of you, for your caring comments.

It's good to feel some positive energy after feeling so discouraged last few days. I let the NEJM article, and a recent revelation (?) that the one other person to contract lyme locally has been in treatment 8+ years really bring me down. My symptoms/herxing are just icing on the cake.

I really need to hang on to the positive and let go of the negative. But my anger is so deep right now...it's very hard to let go. Misery, on the other hand...I am more than willing to let go.

Thanks,
LocalMan
PS > It seems threads get buried so quickly here, but this has been a meaningful exchange for me...maybe we can keep it going?

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont Lymie said:

quote:
It took me 2 months before taking malarone (which has the same ingredient as mepron) didn't totally kick my butt and make me unfunctional. Then it got much better.
Thanks! I needed to hear that! I'm into my third cycle of Mepron and the herxes are so long and hard I have a hard time staying up myself.

I also have the emotional lability you describe.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement