LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » YALE.edu : Chronic Lyme Questioned: Shapiro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YALE.edu : Chronic Lyme Questioned: Shapiro
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.yale.edu/opa/newsr/07-10-04-03.all.html
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for others
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are links to email him. I would like to know if any parents have had experiences bringing there children there and if they were successful or not? He must have a lot of complaints against him I would think....because the Lyme kdis would never get better under his care....
Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this guy he is the one who said my niece didn't have lyme what a %$%$#^.
she is better and in college now because of doctor J
in ct.

yes a lot of people go there he wouldn't know if it was lyme if it was right next to him or if a tick bit him.

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent this to them just now... to the one writing the press release.

[email protected]

````````````````````````````````````````````````

Quote from Press Release- "Shapiro and his colleagues maintain that ``chronic Lyme disease'' is a misnomer, and the use of prolonged, dangerous, and expensive antibiotic treatments is not warranted."

You know, they told my thirty year old cousin that same story and darn her sorry self- because of their unproven theories she wasn't able to function, became completely disabled and spent most of her time in her wheel chair watching her little boy play baseball. She eventually died because they refused her life saving antibiotic treatment.

And so did my dad. And so did my God mother. They didn't have antibiotic treatment, per your doctors orders, and the untreated Lyme and tick borne infections eventually killed them too.

Me? I was fortunate enough to get those "expensive" and "dangerous" antibiotics. Yes, I did have to suffer through a yeast infection as a side effect, but within a week of treating it I was just fine. Well, relatively speaking I was fine.

Because of the original delay in treatment and the lack of it (before I found a doctor who put patient care FIRST) I became totally and permanently disabled and legally blind from under treated Lyme and tick borne coinfections.

And just so you know, I think your press release forgot to mention the Attorney General's investigation into the IDSA (and some of your doctors) for antitrust violations, monopolization, and exclusionary conduct relating directly to the same guidelines your doctors wrote and continue to promote.

To note- the article's authors didn't list that legal action as a Conflict of Interest in their article, which I do believe is a no-no.

It seems Yale's reputation continues to go further down the hill by keeping those doctors on board, along with the health of Lyme patients who are refused treatment because of them. Shame, shame.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My letter:

Dear Dr. Shapiro,

You were quoted in a recent press release from Yale and need to respond even though I don't expect you to read or consider what I have to say. Nor do I expect that you will respond. Still, I am writing you because of those who write from your position, you seem to be the most accessible and least condescending.

There is a clear flurry of activity on the part of Yale and the IDSA designed to drown out our voices but we are fighting for our lives and, actually, I think we are winning. Contradictory clinical evidence is starting to stack up, despite the IDSA's attempts to prevent the emergence data that challenges it's position on Lyme disease and the control its leaders exercise over research funding and publications. I am aware of AG Blumenthals' investigation and hope more AGs follow his lead. Hopefully, he has been notified that IGENEX was denied display access at the IDSA conference taking place in San Diego this weekend.

As best as I am able to determine, I went undiagnosed and thus untreated for about twelve years. When I was finally diagnosed, I had about twelve diagnoses, give or take a few, and those were just for the problems I brought to physicians' attention. The most problematic symptoms included chronic bronchitis (some physicians were starting to suggest I was developing COPD), disorientation (I was geting lost two blocks from work), constant tendon pain (I was unable to turn a doorknob), proprioception difficulties (I was starting to drive like a codger and had difficulty coordinating my left foot and right arm well enough to shift gears when driving, despite always having driven cars with stick shifts), and severe fatigue (a half hour of yard work would put me to bed for a couple of days).

I have now been treated for almost five years by a family practice physician who does not speciallize in Lyme, at all. He is on my insurance plan and is not exploiting me financially, as the IDSA is prone to alledging. He does, however, believe that chronic Lyme exists and it is his clinical experience that antibiotics reduce these patients' suffering. It's also his experience that among people who have had Lyme a long time, over one year, discontinuation of antibiotics almost invariably leads to relapse.

In contrast to my condition upon starting treatment, I have since resumed weight lifting and bicycling and have literally built my own house. I have not had bronchitis in four years, have resumed writing, and have been promoted to professor. I may not have had chronic Lyme disease but, whatever it was/is, antibiotics have been a very effective treatment. At this point, my diagnoses are hypothyroidism (secondary to thyroid oblation done to treat unremitting infectious thyroiditis), low testosterone which is being treated effectively with hCG, and chronic Lyme disease. My very well known urologist, who does pioneering work in treating male infertility, believes that the Lyme disease has affected my pituitary gland and has not questioned my need to, as he says "keep it beaten back" with antibiotics. I do still, unfortunately, have occasional days in which concentration and word recall are problematic but I am able to function around that.

I have a student who spent years in a wheelchair with a diagnosis of MS. When treated with IV antibiotics, she was able to begin walking and now walks almost normally. She does still have foot-drop and wears a small plastic brace.

One of my colleagues is also diagnosed (this is an edemic area in Northern California) and has been in treatment for years. She suffers mainly from pain and perceptual distortions but teaches, engages in private practice, and works a half time professional job. She works about sixty hours a week and is supporting her husband while he studies for a master's degree.

In contrast, a couple of years ago, a local young man of twenty-one died unexpectedly in his sleep. He had Lyme disease since about age ten and had also spent several years in a wheel chair. At the time of his death, he seemed to be doing fairly well, although not feeling quite as good recently, had been engaging in amateur rodeo riding, and was working full time. He had discontinued antibiotics. Due to his long illness and his father's prominent position in the local medical care community, every physician in town either knew him or about him.

Ted's death seems to have had a profound effect on the local physicians. Since that time I have had only one physician, who was working at a walk-in clinic, express skepticism about my diagnosis and treatment. In fact, they generally express interest in my situation and the treatment that has allowed me to have a pretty good and stable remission.

I am telling you all of this to try to point out that clinical evidence out in the field is starting to turn the tide. The activism of author Amy Tan and musician Daryl Hall, and a number of others is also helping. Hopefully, you can consider the information that I am presenting and begin to question what is going on. How is it that the debate is allowed to be controlled by a coterie of about ten? Why is it that the limitations of Wormser's study of "long-term" treatment with antibiotics aren't being taken into consideration? Why is it that, if post-lyme syndrome is real, it isn't actually being investigated? Academic medicine is about learning new things. I believe that, if the IDSA actually believed PLS was real, they would be all over it writing papers and filing patents. Why is there no research on the actual treatment of people like myself, whom the IDSA sort of acknowledges exist? How is it that chronic Lyme diesase is "Ill defined" and PLS isn't? People, physicians included, are beginning to ask these questions.

Recently, while traveling in Texas, I went to a walk-in clinic because I suspected I had conjunctivitis. My conversation with the physician included a discussion of the Lyme wars. I asserted that we are going to win becasue the facts are on our side and she immediately and fully agreed.

Dr. Shapiro, this may be naive of me but I hope that you will consider my points. hopefully, I have been civil and logical despite my anger over the abomination in which you are participating.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, Ph.D.
Professor
California State University, XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[ 06. October 2007, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: David95928 ]

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent letter David. Did you get a reply?
Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. No, I haven't heard back yet, I sent it early this AM.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Quote from Press Release- "Shapiro and his colleagues maintain that ``chronic Lyme disease'' is a misnomer, and the use of prolonged, dangerous, and expensive antibiotic treatments is not warranted."

A different treatment that works better/quicker is fine by me, but until Shapiro offers such an option his position will continue to be untenable.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David...

Beautiful ... and exactly what is needed!

Thank you for taking time.. and I am sure it was a considerable effort.. to write this letter.

Having watched him over the years.. I am not sure you will get a reply.. but I hope you do.

If you don't.. may I suggest sending your letter to the Administrators at Yale? Especially those who sign the pay checks?

If he won't listen.. maybe they can tweek his nose till he does. Or his pocket book?

And another WOW on that letter!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Thanks, TC.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
write letters

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what strikes me most, aside from the blatant disregard of the severity of our symptoms, is this: If long term antibiotic treatment isn't the answer, what is? If they are going to make such a statement, what
option(s) are they offering?!

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey TC,

I know I have said it before...

But, I just wanted to say again, that I am so very sorry for your losses from this devastating disease.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement