LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » melatonin nerve repair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: melatonin nerve repair
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor has told me to take melatonin for nerve repair...has anyone done this and did it help...it is said to stop colagen from forming and getting the nerves to heal?
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious to see what people have to say. I haven't been sleeping too well, so I know my melatonin levels are low.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it's good for that, too. Wish I could substantiate it. Maybe someone with more energy than I have right now.

I've also heard it increases the seratonin for your waking ours. I know since taking melatonin, my daughter's depression isn't nearly as bad. She still has to take other meds, but the melatonin has been a very beneficial supplement.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polaris
Member # 11391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polaris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about Melatonin, but Methylcobalamin , a specific version of vitamin B-12 might be helpful. Almost all B-12 on the market is Cyanocobalamin, not the same. Here is an interesting article, you have to use the inner arrows to scroll it up and down.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/aug98-report1.html

Posts: 31 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I used to take melatonin back in my early 30's for depression, and it did help for quite a few months - but then I relapsed.

I'm actually not very depressed right now - just anxiety and OCD - and no sleep. I'm tired now because I tossed and turned all night.

Is this methylcobalamin available in health food stores now?

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get a better perspective, anyone may want to google "melatonin mercury" and you might also google "melatonin Lyme mercury".

And if anyone has taken melatonin to help sleep and feels a bit hung over the next morning, per Dr. K. "it's displaced mercury" causing this.

From my own experience.

Take care.

Mercury attaches to the ligand sites of hormone producing cells - so I learned.

[ 06. October 2007, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polaris
Member # 11391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polaris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is this methylcobalamin available in health food stores now
Yeah, I found some at the local Vitaminshoppe....but you can find it online. Just make sure it says Methylcobalamin, instead of Cyanocobalamin. They are in a sublingual tablet that disolves under your tongue and you can swallow. High doses are needed to emulate the studies.
Posts: 31 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Thanks! I have to look for a brand that doesn't contain common food allergens. I had problems with the one brand of magnesium for that reason.

I am going to look into the melatonin, too. I did have some mercury in me. I think arsenic was more my problem though - but who knows?

polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doctor says it repairs damaged nerves..melatonin...I was not refering to b12..it seems to stop something and the result is regeneration of nerves..
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Polar, You are right. Both melatonin but also methylcobolamin are effective in neuronal damage repair. Children suffering from autism are also treated with these; of course, alongside many other different agents and therapies. The damage is caused by heavy metal toxicity and other neurotoxins (pesticides, insecticides, microbial, etc.)

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

I'm one of those who when I try melatonin gets the hangover.

and, yes, tests have shown elevated mercury. DMSA oral and green powders are all I can do.

so, does that mean that a person would not take melatonin if it results in the hang-over feeling

or only take it if doing metal detoxing along side ?

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

If it is displaced mercury and if part of the displacement is due to melatonin, you should make sure that you have the right support agents on board, i.e. mop-up agents, such as chlorella, pectin, Destroxin, cholestyramine, chitoson, etc., to get the toxins all the out of the body via stool. Make sure no constipation. If you don't use these agents, most of the displaced mercury will be reabsorbed (leaky gut) and redistributed somewhere else in the body.
I.e. instead of a sore knee, you end up having a pain in the neck, or get foggy, etc.

It is important for you to find the best detox agents that you can tolerate and keep at it, hopefully with the help of a doctor that understands heavy metal toxicity and knows how to treat it effectively. Try NDF. Try cilantro. I just don't like it when people try to do it on their own, because there are some really nasty pitfalls. Some people take NAC and end up with seizures, simply because they do not understand the different agents. It is really important that you do not try to do this type of detox yourself. Using killing agents for the microbes results in a similar problem - mobilizing mercury with the die-off of microbes that many call mistakenly a herxheimer. Metals in motion - is what I learned to call it, and the viruses come alive at that moment also, so they need to be treated. It's never just one thing.

Take care.

barksplinter
Member # 13249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barksplinter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still trying choose a LLMD and the heavy metal toxicity is an issue for me. My mercury levels were in the 95th percentile.

Growing up at a mercury mine has it's drawbacks.

If anyone can PM me some suggestions for doctors with expertise in both it would be helpful. Travel seems to be inevitable.

Posts: 70 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Barksplinter, feel free to e-mail me [email protected]
there are at least two good lyme-mercury- literate MD's who practice what works, i.e. also alternative/integrative, right in your State.

Take care.

polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

my doctor is using for one thing...it repairs nerves all thru the body..when you sleep the antioxidant in melatonin causes the neuronal repair..it stops the deposits in the nerves that causes problems..so what do you all think..
eric

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bark...please edit your last post to remove the doctor's name, please. You can say Dr. F.

Thanks.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting discussion.

Hubby takes melatonin for sleep. Has been using this for about 3 years now I think. Takes 3 mg sublingual tablets. Don't know if it helps with nerve repair or not as hubby has very little neuropathy symptoms even with all his tremors/myoclonus etc.

Now that Babs may actually be gone the Melatonin is the only thing hubby takes for sleep. Previously took various herbs and a 5HTP/l-tryptophan combo supplement.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,

Some people get seizures from NAC because it causes damage! Not just because it's not 'done right'. A report about NAC just came out, and it came out with a warning to consummers.

Anneke

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Re NAC - You may want to listen to this interview of Dr. K. - www.klinghardt.org click on Heavy Metal Detox and scroll down to "Download Soundbite". It's quite long and will take a while to download.

NAC is discussed at length as are some other interesting subjects very worthwhile being aware of.

www.klinghardt.org - go to Heavy Metal Detox and scroll down to download Soundbite.

Take care.

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melatonin worked well for me until I started taking narcotics for pain management.

If you take melatonin as well as narcotics the two interact and can increase the sedation of the narcotic agents.

I'm sending melatonin to my son at college who is having a horrible time sleeping...he's not on pain meds at this time, so hopefully it will help him.

Nerve repair suits me fine...just wish I could use it.

For sleep I use Gaba Calm sublinguals. They don't have the same issue with narcotics as melatonin. it comes in pepermint as well as orange and is available at Whole Foods. I prefer the orange as the peppermint is a bit strong for me.

Oh yes, my mercury levels are very low, so I don't think the sedation or drowsiness is an effect of mercury and melatonin combined.

Fun facts to know and share!

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

In my experience, there is no lab test available to this day - anywhere in the world - and therefore no certain way of telling by lab test the levels of mercury or other heavy metals in the body.

We can see what is coming out by the tests we presently have, but we do not know what is left behind hiding in the system.

As per Dr. K. and most other knowledgable (in this field) doctors, the deciding factor is --- are the symptoms gone? Symptoms are the same for Lyme and microbial infections as those caused by metal toxicity. Neurotoxins. I have learned over many years that one can safely assume that as long as symptoms are present, both metals and microbes are also still playing a role.

The only way that gives us an indication of heavy metal presence in our body at this time is by means of energetic testing, such as ART, EAV, Skasys, etc. These also do not tell how much, but at least ART (am not totally certain about other energetic testing) tells us
where in the body the metals are located.

Take care.

This is what I learned through my own experience and by meeting hundreds of people, patients, attendees and speakers, over many years at Klinghardt Conferences.

[ 10. October 2007, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement