LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tell them they are wrong- research requested

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell them they are wrong- research requested
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK.

Below is a quote from the latest NEJM article that CAN easily be researched or written up and the data can be used to refute the claims. And this is a claim they keep making that is just plain old stupid.

Would we deny cancer treatment because there may be side effects from the meds? Or deny treatment for TB or HIV infections because of possible side effects?

NO!

Then they need to KNOCK it off and stop making these stupid claims... and we need to counter them.

How many patients have Lyme? How many have these side effects? How many OTHER patients using other drugs die from the drugs or complications of the drugs? How many die from not being treated for their condition?

Whatever you would like to look at and share would help.

They make it sound like a zillion people are at risk of dying or getting serious side effects from antibiotics. This needs to be put into perspective.

But I don't have time or energy and my tincup runneth over with too much Lyme work right now.

Who can address this? It would help the entire Lyme community and future writing efforts if someone could.

THANKS!

[Big Grin]

Antibiotic therapy can cause considerable harm
to patients treated for chronic Lyme disease or
post-Lyme disease symptoms.2

Life-threatening anaphylaxis33 and biliary complications requiring cholecystectomy35 have occurred after ceftriaxone administration.

Candidemia from infection of an
intravenous catheter has resulted in death.36

In an unpublished study in which 37 patients underwent randomization to receive 10 weeks of treatment with either ceftriaxone or placebo, about one fifth of the patients had serious adverse events, the majority of which were related to intravenous catheters.

In light of the risk of serious adverse events
in their study, Krupp et al. concluded that ``repeated courses of antibiotic treatment are not indicated for persistent symptoms following Lyme disease, including those related to fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.''33

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamera
Member # 13309

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Tamera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a nurse, and believe me....EVERYTHING has a "side effect"...breathing has a side effect. These people just need to give us a break. I haven't even been diagnosed with lyme, but I know if that turns out to be what I have, I would certainly rather risk the "side effects" of treatment than picture my life with the symptoms getting worse than they already are! I will be 44 in two days, I can no longer feel safe to practice as a nurse in a career that I love, this is no way to want to continue my life. How dare these people want to take away treatment and hope? (Ok, I'll get off my box now...just in one of those moods I guess...sorry)

--------------------
Never quit searching for the answers.
http://myspace.com/alaskariverview

Posts: 53 | From Kasilof, Alaska | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC-

I can and will help with this research.

I'll have to wait til after Oct 11 to get started. Is that soon enough?

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soleilpie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soleilpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll probably say the risks far outweighs the benefits.

Now if they could just prove that. Because it clearly appears that many people get their lives back and are able to become contributing members of society again. So now how is it then that the risks outweigh the benefits?

It seems like the IDSA is trying to promote this idea that most people affected by Lyme only have minor issues like joint pain and some fatigue. They don't seem to even recognize the many people who are debilitated by this disease. If it were just simple problems, then maybe we could say that the risks of using long term antibiotics outweigh the benefits.

--------------------
The best index to a person's character is how he treats people who can't do him any good, and how he treats people who can't fight back.
-Abigail van Buren (Pauline Esther Friedman) (1918-2002)

Posts: 409 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we could add some research...like data on how many

People with Lyme have co-infections.

We all know Lyme kills, but so does babesia, bartonella, and others.

Maybe shift the focus a little from "just" Lyme.

I am going to see what I can find.

I want to help.....Up to my ears getting ready for the court case.

I'll keep you posted.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems they are saying most of the side effects are with the catheter...

Well it depends on what the side effects are I have had mine replaced 3 times.

However, I was willing to have surgery 3 more times because the antibiotic worked so well.

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to look at the Masthead of the NEJM.
It explains how this nonsense got published there in the first place.

It is a well-known fact among doctors that since they fired the woman (sorry, forget her name) editor some years ago, the Journal has never been the same.

Here's part of the NEJM Masthead...recognize anyone?
http://content.nejm.org/misc/edboard.shtml

Associate Editors

Kenneth L. Baughman, M.D.
Edward J. Benz, Jr., M.D.
Robert G. Dluhy, M.D.

Arnold M. Epstein, M.D., M.A.
Michael F. Greene, M.D.
Mark S.J. Klempner, M.D.
J. Thomas LaMont, M.D.
Thomas H. Lee, M.D.
Allan H. Ropper, M.D.

Anthony Rosenzweig, M.D.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah, yes! Klempner himself! The guy who has been put in charge of the new biowarfare lab located in the heart of the city of Boston. One of the biowarfare agents to be studied?

LYME, of course!

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing, please.........Klempner reapplied for a patent for Lyme vaccine in 2005, exactly one year before the publication of the infamous IDSA Guidelines.

His rational? *Many are not cured of Lyme and continue to have infection.* That's not a quote...a paraphrase of the wording.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! Appreciate any research that can be done!

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I don't understand is why do they need to do any more biowarfare work? Since the agents get out into the population and spread. It's not containable; it's planetary. There's no winning with this strategy; everyone loses. Doesn't make any sense at all.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll see what I can find today.
Posts: 339 | From nowhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So by their standards, no one should be treated with IV ABX unless they are in an immediately life-threatening situation where they would die right away without it?

It sounds like the arguement is against the IV Tx not the disease.

How many are Txd & cured?

How often are relapses re-Txd?

Do people who have ports implanted under the skin have the same risks? Might that be a better way to go once it's determined that Oral ABX Tx has failed?

I wish I could look this up. I'll have to try to get back to it. I have a date with a nurse about a Midline Catherization for IV [Eek!] today.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, I do not have a computer at home but now am visiting my sister so have a little access for a week (in between sweet bombardment from the 5 and 7 year old nephews!)

But here is a link

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58004

Is this what you are looking for? A comparison? They had mandated this vaccine in Texas but then it was overturned. Now deaths have been linked.

Remember, I still have lyme, I do not always read or interpret fully.

The other thing is......a comparison is something the IDSA will likely rebut with saying that it is not related because, we are being treated for something that does not exist.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think this is a very important piece of the puzzle overall that most doctors do not even think about when handing out SSRI's or other things so freely:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/health/2007/09/28/124475/Drugmakers-unite.htm

I know my doc said no to warfarin and tons of other meds based on some genetic testing to do with liver detoxification (if I understand correctly).

I think this is a huge key for the future.

--------------------

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Here are some specifics on the deaths from the vaccine that is trying to get mandated by government:

http://media.www.loyolaphoenix.com/media/storage/paper673/news/2007/10/03/News/Guard.Up.On.Gardasil-3008408.shtml

Definitely an imposed side effect.

--------------------

imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC,

This is the case they refer to. You have heard about Geri from Iowa I am sure. The family and others close to her know what really happened. Call Judy for details. She has the contact info for the family.

Clin Infect Dis. 2000 Oct;31(4):1107-9.

Death from inappropriate therapy for Lyme disease.
Patel R, Grogg KL, Edwards WD, Wright AJ, Schwenk NM.
Division of Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA. [email protected]

A 30-year-old woman died as a result of a large Candida parapsilosis septic thrombus located on the tip of a Groshong catheter. The catheter had been in place for 28 months for administration of a 27 month course of intravenous cefotaxime for an unsubstantiated diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease.

PMID: 11049799 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement