LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wife having Gallbladder surgery...what is good to ask/know before she goes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wife having Gallbladder surgery...what is good to ask/know before she goes?
RugbyGuy
Member # 13458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RugbyGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,
Hopefully some of you here know my wife "JavaBeing" as she has been on this board for a couple of years. Recently, she has been pretty ill due to her lyme and Bartonella becoming pretty severe and has in the past year, developed a pretty bad gallbladder and liver congestion.
She has been going through many antibiotics and alternative treatments through her lyme journey and has hoped it would help her not only get better, but perhaps heal up her some in the process.
She has like many of you, severe sleeping problems and takes tenazapam (restoril) every night for sleep (which usually only works for about 5 hours...) and having surgery has really scared her as she doesn't know/believe she can heal properly without adequet rest/sleep to re-cooperate have the surgery.
She is also very concerned of the pain after surgery (she's never had surgery before)...plus taking any pain meds in addition to her sleep meds worries her as well.
I know she loves this board and has met many great/supportive friends on here...and I've been trying to review her notes...but it's hard knowing where to look. Her doctor would like to do the surgery soon as he feels the gallbladder is very diseased (no stones...the gb is only "emptying" or contracting at less than 10%).
So,I'm hoping some of her those that know her, or have had similiar surgery themselves can help me with some questions...or know what I should be asking her doctor BEFORE we do the operation.
Going through her notes, she has written concerns regarding: "asking for the right anestesia so BP and heart palps won't be aggrevated.."; "getting an 'Paraffin Wax' sample of gallbladder or liver sample for lyme/co-infection testing...where should it be sent?"; "Whats the best antibiotic to take before/after surgery" and "Best pain med after surgery...esp if taking sleeping meds each day as well?"
Going through her notes and talking with her, I know she's been really trying to prepare for this and trying to be proactive. But she's pretty sick right now and fears the surgeon won't know what we're asking for (as a lyme patient...which I definately agree with her..)and that is a mostly why she keeps putting this off.
I can understand that, that's why I'm here and doing what i can to alleviate some of these fears and concerns. It's time for the surgery..and I just want to give her any support I can, and to see her out of the pain and be able to have some of these fears put away so she can go through the surgery without any additional fears or doubts that we haven't done all we could to remove any problems or doubts ahead of time.
Sorry for such a long request...she put alot of time looking into this before getting to tired and ill, and I just want to make sure I'm asking the right questions.
She said to say hi to everyone for her and sends hugs and thanks for putting up with me. She hopes to be back pretty soon. Hopefully, after surgery we can get her back on the IV antibiotics now that the gallbladder won't be an issue.
Thank you to all for any help you have or advice you can offer, we BOTH greatly appreciate it..and I thank you for letting me jump in here with my concerns.

Thanks again,
Tim

Posts: 2 | From Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my gallbladder out pre-Lyme so I can't offer

Any advice regarding the best antibiotic or alleviate her concerns regarding heart issues.

What I can offer is this.

I had my gall bladder removed via laporoscopy.

When I woke up from surgery, it did feel as if an elephant was sitting on my chest,

But that is just from the air they use to inflate your abdomen.

I had it done out-patient and went home 5 hours after it was removed. (I had to pee before they let me go)

It was a pretty easy recovery as surgeries go.

I have also had my appendix out and that was pre-laporoscopy days. Much harder to come back from that.

I was home from work for about 2 weeks, but really it wasn't bad at all.

I guess the only problem I have ever had related to this surgery is that the surgeon

Missed a stone that was in my common bile duct.

Every once in a while it moves and irritates my pancreas and I get pancreatitis.

Not fun!

If the surgeon can check the common bile duct to make sure he has all the stones (if that is the problem)

That would be advisable.

Sending you and your wife healing thoughts and prayers.

Wish I had more info to give you.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pure Lymie League
Member # 10421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Lymie League     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure to tell them no steroids. If they ask why, tell them it suppresses the immune system

allowing the Lyme bacteria to have a field day.

When they ask about antibiotics, ask for Levaquin, it is used for Bartonella. They may

not listen, but it's worth a shot. I had surgery on my foot 2 months ago and when they were

discussing antibiotics, I heard one nurse say how about Levaquin and I said yes, so that's what they used.

Good luck to your wife.
Sara

Posts: 81 | From Nashville Tennessee | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMPOTRANT- I believe she DOESN'T want the paraffin for Lyme & bart testing- I believe the paraffin will make the sample untestable at least that is what I was recently told by someone who was going to have this done with a sample from their surgery!!! So I would find out from the pathology lab at whatever hospital she is using how the sample must be kept to be tested!!!

Just RIGHT after surgery there is intense pain but they put you on morphine usually- and then for me I was fine the next day- the first few weeks after gb surgery I had some loose GI stuff but after that I normalized and have been normal from then on- some people have more changes in GI function but I never have- some people have gas or looseness when they eat fatty foods after gb removal!! I don't miss mine at all-

Give her a hug from me*)!!
Hope she does well*)!!!
Best wishes to her-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesperationIn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13121

Icon 5 posted      Profile for DesperationIn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim- I am so sorry I don't have much information for you but I will keep both you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers as she goes through this surgery and continuing recovery. It's wonderful you are supporting her through this and I hope you both will get the information you are seeking. -Despin
Posts: 163 | From Cleveland, OH | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you tell them NO STERIODS in the anesthia.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by savebabe:
Make sure you tell them NO STERIODS in the anesthia.

Yes! and as far as the pain goes, it's pretty minimal with the GB surgery.

Tell her HELLO for me!!!!!! [hi]

Is this the Java that I spoke with on the phone several years ago??

I'm sure things will go well. [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi rugbyguy

make sure to tell the surgon to check her remaining duck for any stones before he closes her. Sorry I forget what they call it. It's the reamining descending tube left when they take out the BG.

I would also make sure to get some abx for surgury to counter any secondary infections.

And ditto on the what the others have said~ no steroids of any kind

Good luck to you & javaBeing

you will both be in my thoughts & prayers [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she wants to have a specimen of her gallbladder sent for PCR testing, MDL lab did mine. You can call MDL directly and they will send a specimen kit and instructions for you to take to the hospital. I would talk to her surgeon ahead of time as well.

I've done this twice, at different hospitals - once when GB was removed, once for an intestinal biopsy. My LLMD writes the orders for the PCR testing, and I discuss it with the surgeon first to be sure they will accommodate (usually no problem).

The first hosp was familiar with my LLMD's requests for this, and the surgeon I used was accustomed to it as well. They sent the specimen directly to MDL for me.

Second surgeon and hosp had never heard of sending a specimen for PCR testing (regarding tick borne diseases). He called the hosp and cleared it with them, and I arrived with specimen kit in hand. That time they sent me home with the specimen, which we overnighted to MDL.

Not sure if Igenex does that type of testing or not - you might check into that as well.

Also, if your wife is a slow recovery type (like me), with anesthesia issues, you can request an "observation room" for 24 hours post surgery. She can leave and go home anytime, but has the option of staying if need be.

Best of luck with her surgery,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059373

my gallbladder surgery in 79 was the 1st big one of 13 i've had to date! it was murphy's law from the beginning.

my lung collapsed; so do those deep breathing/COUGHING exercises religiously so your lung will not collapse!

let them know when you starting passing GAS and they will remove a tube down your throat. they never told me this over the years.

my iv came out when trying to pass gas, and took them 1 hr. to get it back in.

i develoed a STAFF INFECTION where my body got hot/painful! MAKE SURE THEY TAKE CARE OF THIS IMMEDIATELY! it was mother's day and nurses' refused to call the dr. to come and care for me getting out the infection in me plus ABX!

i ended up there 10 days. can't remember the reest of stuff that happened daily.

at home, eventually do some side bends GENTLY and few only at a time. i was off work for 6 weeks and took care of myself. went bck to work, and bending down to get into drawers, i could NOT move the next day! called my boss for sick leave; he refused!!!

java. have your OWN PAIN MED to hit when you need it; it's a blessing! best wishes to you/yours!
[group hug] [kiss]

hubby, if you post again, please hit the enter bar twice after each short paragraph for us neuro lymies ok so we can comprehend/read! big thanks!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my gallbladder removed after I developed problems with it as a result of IV rocephin.
My gallbladder was also preforming at less than 10%. I had same day surgery and had it done laproscopically (spelled right?)
I have had several surgeries (I am 49 yrs old) in my lifetime, and this one was really very easy.
Problem is this: I am still having pain, pretty severly in that area. I have since learned that I should have specifically asked the surgeon to clean out the bile duct also. I did not know to ask that and apparently it probably would have helped me quite a bit. It has been almost 3 years since the surgery and like I said, I still have quite a bit of pain that at times makes it very difficult to want to eat. I have a very hard time keeping weight on. My goal is to get OVER 100 pds, and it just does not happen with this amount of pain.
So please make sure they also CLEAN out the DUCT!!! God Bless- Corinne

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RugbyGuy
Member # 13458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RugbyGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your kind and very helpful responses to my post. I greatly appreciated all the information everyone has given...as well as the kind words of support.

Sorry I haven't responded until now...we had a bout of the flu here and things were hectic as can be when the whole family gets the bug at the same time. But I am reading and going over with my wife all that has been offered.

First, before she thumps me on the head with a pillow (a sign she's feeling better!)..she wanted me to say many thanks to eveybody, and a big hello to Lymetoo, 5dana8 and bettyg who she has chatted here with before and have enjoy and appreciate their friendhship and wisdom they bring to the board...so an extra hug and hello to you all. (okay the pillow has been lowered...!)

If I may ask again (I didn't see any answers to this from the first time...) has anyone been on sleep meds while in addition to having to take pain meds for before/after surgery? She hasn't been able to sleep without the meds (restoril) for nearly 3 years, and is wondering if anyone else dealt with this problem, and how they did.

Once again, THANK-YOU for all your help here...we are alot more aware and re-assured by the responses in how we should precede...especially the issues regarding having the bile ducts checked throughly and NO steriods! More help than any of the doctors here would know to do or request.

Many kind regards,
Tim (Rugbyguy)

Posts: 2 | From Oregon | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [hi]

i've had sleeping pills are many of my surgeries; NO GOOD AT ALL!

finally had a sleep study 3 yrs. ago showing i hve sleep apnea where i stop breathing , etc.

it also showed i do NOT get any level 4 DELTA sleep where the body rejuvenates and you wake up feeling refreshed! has she had a sleep study?

best wishes!! [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my GB out in April and did not need pain meds at all. It was the easiest of the 7 surgeries I've had in my life. The pain was far less than the normal daily pain I have from Lyme.....just some burning in my belly button when I stood up.

Even though I have 3 leaking heart valves, my surgeon said GB surgery did not require ABX, so I did not have them. It is a relatively bloodless surgery when done by laparoscopy. I went home 5 hours after surgery.

The procedure to check for ductal stones is intraoperative cholangiography (sp.?) and you do have to request it. I had that done too, but after 5 months of feeling great post operatively, I ate a lot of fat one day and started having all the same symptoms back again, for over two weeks now. It's as if I never had the GB removed at all. I see the GI doc this week.

My TCM doc told me the real problem with the GB comes from the liver and if you don't stick to a very low fat diet forever once your GB goes bad, you can keep on making stones in your liver and get them stuck in the ducts even without a GB. I read that up to 40% of people have problems after surgery of one sort or another. www.gallbladderattack.com has a lot of info on this.

Good luck, and I hope it goes really well. I have MUCH more energy since I had mine taken out, despite my recent troubles.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement