LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Igenex results - finally...NEGATIVE..I will just fade out of the "lyme" light now.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igenex results - finally...NEGATIVE..I will just fade out of the "lyme" light now.
Tamera
Member # 13309

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tamera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the results are finally here...I got a copy from my doctor today, and as usually, I'm "normal".

IFA, B Burgdorferi G/M/A titer <1:40 NEGATIVE

IgM Western Blot: NEGATIVE

18 kDa +
22 kDa -
23-25 kDa ++
28 kDa -
30 kDa -
31 kDa IND
34 kDa -
39 kDa IND
41 kDa -
45 kDa -
58 kDa -
66 dDa -
73 kDa -
83-93 kDa IND

IgG Western Blot: NEGATIVE

18kDa -
22 kDa -
23-25 kDa -
28 kDa -
30 kDa -
31 kDa -
34 kDa -
39 kDa -
41 kDa IND
45 kDa -
58 kDa +
66 kDa -
73 kDa -
83-93 kDa -

Genomic or Plasmid B burg: NEGATIVE
Plasmid - B burdorferi: NEGATIVE

I appreciate all the support and knowledge I've gained while I was waiting on these results, but I guess now I'll just keep looking for answers.

I know, I know, "clinical diagnosis", but I'll never get that up here in Alaska...and I'll never convince my husband to look elsewhere with a negative test.

Maybe, just maybe it's something else. I saw the internal med doc yesterday, and she is "going to review my previous records and meet with me again on Oct. 20".

I have an appointment with a neurologist in Anchorage on Oct 16.

I wish you all the best in your treatment and recovery. Thanks for listening.

Fading out of the "lyme" light now...still searching for answers.

--------------------
Never quit searching for the answers.
http://myspace.com/alaskariverview

Posts: 53 | From Kasilof, Alaska | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cried with relief when my tests came back, and feel so fortunate my test read positive.

I feel so badly for you Tamera. That's almost worse than a Lyme Positive test-because it leaves you in Limbo Land- knowing there is something terribly wrong...

But please don't fade away-just because of a negative test, it doesn't mean you have to go. Please keep us informed on this journery of yours...

Unless you feel you have to put your efforts elsewhere-as they say "When going through Hell, keep moving."

But do check back with us.

Take Care,
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Sorry you don't have any answers [group hug] ...

Hope it turns out be something less awful, though.

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, even Steere (leader on the opposing side of the lyme wars) says that 18 and 23 NEVER show up in controls. That seems to indicate exposure and if you have symptoms, it seems clear that you should explore this angle further. Often a trial of abx will allow more bands to show up.

Before you look elsewhere, please spend some time learning about testing issues. I'm not a doctor but I'd say these results indicate that you may well have lyme.

Go to the top of the medical forum and read about Dr. C's explanation.

Good luck.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Tamera, Tamera!!

Did you read the Western Blot explanation posted above???

That might be termed "negative," but to someone who is knowledgeable about lyme, it is anything but negative.

In the presence of lyme-like symptoms and a thorough history and evaluation, it is NOT a negative test.

Let's look again:

18 kDa +
22 kDa -
23-25 kDa ++
28 kDa -
30 kDa -
31 kDa IND
34 kDa -
39 kDa IND
41 kDa -
45 kDa -
58 kDa -
66 dDa -
73 kDa -
83-93 kDa IND

Notice the bold? Every one of the bands you had a reaction on is a lyme specific band.

Do you suppose that is just a coincidence?

NOT likely.

23-25 is a double-starred band!!

If you have a positive on even two of these significant bands, the chance that you have lyme is somewhere upward of 90%.

Don't be so hasty ... it would be a big mistake, in my non-medical opinion!!

Stay warm up there!!

[group hug]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tamera, ditto what michelle said on the bolded comments she made!!

read dr. c's explanation of western blot at top of medical posted by lymetoo/tutu!

continue educating yourself ad then when you feel it's time to go, go then, but we see things you do NOT since it happened to us too! [Wink]

Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Tamera,

I was unlucky enough to have my Western Blot through Quest. [Frown]

The only band that showed positive was IgM 23.

Based on the fact that I had already had every known serology test run on me

Including a complete ANA panel, etc., which were all normal,

A duck actually diagnosed me with Lyme due to testing and symptoms and started treatment for me.

Your Western Blot looks like Lyme to me. I am not a medical doctor, but

I think you should pursue Lyme as a possible/probable diagnosis.

If you were my child and that was your WB, you would be getting treatment for Lyme disease.

Don't throw out the bath water with the baby just yet....

I realize due to your location, a LLMD would be difficult to find.

You really need to read Dr. C's Western Blot explanation.

You don't need to be CDC positive for Lyme. That is just their requirement for epidemiological tracking.

You can challenge your system by 30 days of antibiotics, wait ten days and retest.

There are people here with Lyme that have completely negative Western Blots, but they still have Lyme disease.

Please, please say you will pursue this.

Right now, based on your symptoms and WB, you really need treatment for Lyme disease.

BTW, my WB was the only test that ever showed a positive anything.

You are a nurse, right? Can you not find a doctor who is willing to think

"outside the box" and treat you?

I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

Your WB says you have "more" Lyme than mine ever did.

Please pursue this and keep us posted. [Smile]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamara, I understand your predicament. My daughter is being treated on a weaker test than that with AMAZING results!!!! She has mostly cognitive symptoms and has gone from needing two or three hours for a math test to finishing it with the rest of the class.

She has gone from 4-5 hours of homework per night to finishing everything in school. It's utterly amazing!

I would suggest asking your doctor to give you some meds for a month, then take a couple weeks off, then retest. Have him call IGeneX for specific instructions on this.

Don't give up on Lyme ... with a test like that plus syptoms, it's clear that is your problem.

If you absolutely cannot get meds, go on an herbal protocol. My LLMD likes Cowden.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polaris
Member # 11391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polaris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that you made some antibodies to the 31kd and 39kd bands should be screaming to your doctor. Nothing else, besides Borrelia Burgdorferi, is known to make those antigens to which you have made antibodies.

This isn't even mentioning your positive 23-25kd bands which are antibodies to OspC. Also, the IND 93, which is DNA material from Borrelia. The positive 58kd band is noteworthy too. I read a Scottish study where about 2/3 of borreliosis patients have that heat shock protein.

[ 13. October 2007, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Polaris ]

Posts: 31 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] Tamera [group hug]

I hope you can find some answers soon.

Just thought I would give this link in case you change your mind. Please keep in mind any test from any lab is 50% inaccurate ~

"reasons why you can still have lyme & test CDC negative:

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/lymeseroneg.html

Good Luck to you & hope you can find some relief soon [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michelle and Terry are absolutely correct! Look at that test more closely!!!

And read Dana's list of reasons that a WB can come back "negative".

Remember that an IND is a weak positive! If those bands had been a TINY bit darker, they would have had PLUSES.

Bands 39 and 83-93 SCREAM Lyme disease, as do the others like 18, 23, and 31.

Now to convince your doctors! [Roll Eyes]

-

-----------------

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

From the above link, written by Dr C of MO:

"Many would say the " +/-" equivocal ["IND"] bands are not significant. The problem I have with that, is that there are "-" negative bands. The lab has no trouble calling some bands negative. So they must be seeing something when they put "+/-" at some bands.

The only thing that makes sense, is that there is a little bit of that antibody present in your serum. If the "+/-" equivocal is reported on the borrelia associated bands, it is usually significant, in my clinical experience. This is a strong clue that I am on the right track.

Instead of ignoring these, they should be a red flag to keep pursuing a laboratory diagnosis.
Giving patients 4 weeks of antibiotics (usually tetracycline, 500 mg, 3 times a day), will convert a negative or equivocal Western blot to positive in about 36% of cases.

As mentioned, if these positive blots are found by specialty labs, over 99% of those patients will respond to antibiotics."

Dr C:

18: An outer surface protein.

22: Possibly a variant of outer surface protein C.

23-25: Outer surface protein C (osp C).

28: An outer surface protein.

30: Possibly a variant of outer surface protein A.

31: Outer surface protein A (osp A). 34: Outer surface protein B (osp B).

37: Unknown, but it is in the medical literature that it is a borrelia-associated antibody. Other labs consider it significant.

39: Unknown what this antigen is, but based on research at the National Institute of Health (NIH), other Borrelia (such as Borrelia recurrentis that causes relapsing fever), do not even have the genetics to code for the 39 kDa antigen, much less produce it. It is the most specific antibody for borreliosis of all.

41: Flagella or tail. This is how Borrelia burgdorferi moves around, by moving the flagella. Many bacteria have flagella. This is the most common borreliosis antibody.

45: Heat shock protein. This helps the bacteria survive fever. The only bacteria in the world that does not have heat shock proteins is Treponema pallidum, the cause of syphilis.

58: Heat shock protein.

66: Heat shock protein. This is the second most common borrelia antibody.

73: Heat shock protein.

83: This is the DNA or genetic material of Borrelia burgdorferi. It is the same thing as the 93, based upon the medical literature. But laboratories vary in assigning significance to the 83 versus the 93.

93: The DNA or genetic material of Borrelia burgdorferi.

In my clinical experience, if a patient has symptoms suspicious for borreliosis, and has one or more of the following bands, there is a very high probability the patient has borreliosis.

The significant antibodies, in my opinion, are the 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93."

[ 13. October 2007, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

I don't remember the specifics of the bands-but i do remember my daughter's LLMD commented that she considers the IND bands positive-because "something is reactivng".
daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera,
I had 2 tests come back completely blank--totally negative.

My LLMD ran one more test. It's called CD57, which is the name of a particular white cell. It seems that lyme disease is the only reason for this particual white cell to be suppressed.

Anything 60 and under is considered definitive for lyme disease, and mine came in at 50. So, now I'm being treated.

It might be worth a try to do research to show your doctor, and maybe he'll run that test for you. It is controversial, because some say we don't know everything yet, and maybe something else suppresses that cell. But, it's been very consistant with people who have lyme.

Hopefully, your doctor is open to discussing all the information in this thread. Just giving you a course of doxy or something, and seeing your response, might help him make a diagnosis too.

Posts: 552 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera, it's been said.

I know it sounds crazy, perhaps...

But if you do some reading
you will find Michelle M is always right*)!

Glenn Edward Killion never had a single positive Lyme test but after he died Dr. Paul Duray found Lyme spirochetes in his heart and his brain.

You may VERY WELL not have Lyme disease
but the blood tests are not what to base that on.

I hope you got tested for the other TBDs
Babesiosis and Anaplasmosis-

Take care-
Sincerely,

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera,

My Igenex tests read negative, also. I do have a couple of positive and indeterminate bands, though.

As soon as I began treatment I knew I had Lyme, from the herxes. I also have tested positive for Babesia, a co-infection.

You need to see a LLMD,, although it will not be inexpensive, given your location. At least get started on treatment, before you get worse.

You may be able to find a local doc who will work under the guidance of an LLMD to keep your costs down.

I went untreated for over 40 years, looking for answers for the last ten or so of those years.

The sooner you get stated on treatment, the better your chances for a quicker recovery.

Chat with us tonight, we can help you through this!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaliforniaLyme:
Tamera, it's been said.

I know it sounds crazy, perhaps...

But if you do some reading
you will find Michelle M is always right*)!

That's so true!! [Big Grin]

Sarah, maybe you need to post Killion's story again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the 23-25 band is specific for lyme. that one, along with the indeterminates would make it positive. the flag in the program that prints out the "positive" or "negative" message looks for two positive bands, it isn't smart enough to take into consideration which ones are more important and when the clinical diagnisis adds to the suspicion.

I fear that she has left the board and not come back [Frown]

does anyone have her e-mail? can the admins e-mail her to just tell her to please come back and read our responses?

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you try to send a private message?
Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ro, she posted after midnight so that indicates she's like me; a night owl and will come back then.

UNLESS SHE MARKED BOX NOT TO GET REPLIES, she will get these.

remember, we were ALL IN DENIAL at one time about our lyme or POSIBLE LYME! [Wink]

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for our Alaska friend!
Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope she will check back to hear your good responses.
Up again

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

I tried to contact her through her MySpace but couldn't, so I resorted to more devious means!!! Hope it works!

Michelle

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera was in chat last night. She'll be back.
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

YEA! [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
she was in chat last night. she is in deep denial.. I can tell because I was there, in denial, listening to the majority of the doctors saying I didn't have lyme and discarding the opinions of the few who thought I did for over ten years.

if you do come back, here is what got me out of my denial. Take antibiotics. if you get better, then you know as a nurse there is no other explanation of why antibiotics would make you better other than an infection. (I also had the reinforcement that steroids made me worse)

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out viral infections too. Go to www.hhv-6foundation.org. Read lots there...read some of the patient stories too.

EBV can cause neurological symptoms. Ask the neurologist that you're going to see:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/archive/3526.html

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera... Come back!!!!!!

That test is suspect and looks lyme-like. to me.
(blah, blah, blah... no medical experience but you have. [Wink] )

My first WB had one band 35+ (not even multiple plusses or IND).

2 years into treatment I came up CDC positive. Heh, go figure. Apparently, I had been sick for too long to still be making antibodies by the time I was diagnosed.

An LLMD told me that some of their sickest patients fall into this category.

The thing is this test that is almost positive in no way rules it out either.

ps. open the tinyURL link in Lymetoo's post it explains things in more detail. also in that article is this:
"An example of the CDC's criteria of a blot test, is if a patient has the band pattern of 41, 45, 58, 66, and 93, the CDC would call it positive. But if a patient has a 23-25, 31, 34, and 39 band pattern, they would call it negative.

This is despite the fact that this second pattern of antigen-antibody complex bands is much more specifically associated with Borrelia burgdorferi than the first pattern."

pps. [group hug]

[ 16. October 2007, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: trueblue ]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamera, I just got back from my first visit with a LLMD, Dr. C. He thouroughly explained my Igenex western blot.

He definitely would consider your IgM positive. 18 and 23-25 are Lyme specific. IND's are weak positives.

If you have the symptoms with those test results, you should be treated.

Sorry,

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam S
Member # 13144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP!

Don't give up! Then they win! Please rethink your decision - These pages have been great and they may be the only support system you have.

--------------------
Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who are doing it!

Posts: 34 | From South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barksplinter
Member # 13249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barksplinter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. J. explained band 18 this way. If a blind man grabs an elephant's leg or tail he knows he has a hippo, rhino, or elephant. But, if a blind man grabs an elephant's trunk... HE KNOWS HE HAS AN ELEPHANT.

If you have ANY sort of positive on 18; IND, +, or ++, you have an elephant!

You have Borreliosis!

You have Lyme!

Posts: 70 | From AZ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tamara posted on her other thread that she would be out of town for a few days to get a medical procedure done.

I expect she'll check in when she is able.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, she's back and had started a new thread with an update. I'll respond to this in hopes of bringing it back up for her although she's seeing another dr. tomorrow.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement