LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For every 6 months you have been sick with LYME, you need 1 year of antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For every 6 months you have been sick with LYME, you need 1 year of antibiotics
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have been going over some old notes of mine, and saw this I wrote down, someone told me this, that had gotten well and said the LLMD's said this.

For every 6 months you have been sick
you will need 1 year of non-stop antibiotics.

I have had undiagnosed lyme for about 15 years, so that would be 30 years of antibiotics for me, non-stop.

Has anyone heard this before, I wrote this down a few years ago.

Thanks,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've heard that, but it couldn't be completely true. If it were, I would need at least 84 years of non-stop abx!!** [lol] [lol]

It may be a guideline for early cases maybe, I don't know!

** And if I counted it from the time I was bitten until now, it would be 98 yrs! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had read somewhere in here that it was vice versa, ie antibios for 50 percent of the time you've had lyme. 1 year with lyme = 6 months of antibiotics.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

LM

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it's 6 months of abx for each infection, if you've had them for less than 1 year. Otherwise, for chronic..3 years of abx total.

[ 21. October 2007, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: shoney ]

Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be looknig at about 40 years then....might as well give up now if that's the case.
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that comes to 84 years of antibiotics. I'm 42. Hmmm, so when I'm 126 years of age, I'll be cured. Cool!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie51
Member # 13065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is true, we would have no stomach or liver left....

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 61 | From Lake Villa IL | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some herbalists believe you need 1 month of treatment for each year you have been sick -- I wish it were true.

I think the most important thing is to identify all the infections -- many require specific treatment.

Good LLMD's say Babesia treatment takes a minimum of 4 months (the life of a red blood cell). I think Bartonella treatment needs at least 4 months as well. As to Lyme -- that is anyone's guess.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard that before and in my experience it is not true!! One woman in our group who went into full remission had been sick

9 years total
and was on abx
2 years total

so thank goodness, doesn't seem to be true*)!*)!*
Thankfully,
Sincerely,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ILADS LLMDs say 1-4 years, regardless of how long sick.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle108
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard that either...hope it isn't true..my daughter is 18 and has been sick for 11 years...she's been in treatment for 41/2 months...hope she doesnt have to keep this up for 5 more years!!
Posts: 217 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elle108
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11730

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elle108     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooops just read the original post...it would mean she'd need 22 years of treatment!! YIKES!! REALLY hope not!!
Posts: 217 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh great. i'd have to be on meds for about 90 years probably and then some....

my poor stomach, liver, and intestines will give out long before that....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that we are all so different with this illness would make me really question any statement that proclaims the same time frame for every lyme patient.

The life cycle of the bug must fit in here somewhere? It seems baseing treatment on length one has been infected would be takeing into consideration bacterial load and how deeply the tissues have been infected. I think there are way too many variables to make a inflexible statement about how long treatment will be for any given individual. Heck, at some point, all or most of the tissues would be permeated. Wouldn't some of this depend on the immune systems ability to fight off the infection over the years? So much depends on our individual immune system other illnesses and probably genetics too. Just can't imagine that this statement is true.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Julie4848:
If that is true, we would have no stomach or liver left....

UNLESS you take the high road and use HERBS instead so you can save your stomach and liver.
Not too much good to get rid of Lyme IF you have to try to live without a liver and/or stomach. Correct?

Jim [Cool]

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd be like tutu then! no way jose! [cussing]
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TO DG FROM KANSAS!

if you are reading this link, please UPDATE MY PROOFILE TO ENABLE PRIVATE MESSAGEES!! you can control who sends you or not!

i was going to send you my newbie links!
send me a pm back, it's the icon to right of your name with 2 people standing together by envelope.

ask me to send you my 79 pages, and i will....welcome!

cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear God,

Please tell me this isnt true...i already lost 8 1/2 years confirmed to this disease, dont make me lose another 17 to getting rid of it.

Amen [shake]

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this.The human body is constantly replacing and regenerating cells to maintain proper and efficient function. I understand that different cells--such as blood cells, skin cells, and bone cells--are being replaced at different rates. How often are the body's cells replaced, and how is this accomplished?
It takes the human body I think its 16 months to replace the cell sit can.
But
Some molecules, such as those in the crystalline lens of your eye, are the same ones you were born with.
And . Unlike a machine, which has only the parts it was built with, the human body continually repairs and replaces cells. Every seven years, 90 percent of the cells in your body are new. The human body is an amazing, open, dynamic system. To understand aging, we have to forget about machines and think about living systems.

I beleive nerve cells stay with us all our life?

So with this in mind abx's may take quite a while to work completely.
Remembering Bb is also intracellular.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Hey..I'll be 101 years old. Tailz and Too and I will be racing around the nursing home in our wheel chairs. Sweet!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Itsy_bitsyone:
Hey..I'll be 101 years old. Tailz and Too and I will be racing around the nursing home in our wheel chairs. Sweet!

And I'll be somewhere between 140 and 154 yrs old! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cidanu
Member # 12503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cidanu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doctor said generally it's 6 months of abx for every year you've had lyme.

but he also said it depends on a lot of other things too. so that's not a hard rule.

Posts: 35 | From Washington, dc | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement