LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Myofascial Pain Syndrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting link describing myofascial pain syndrome and possible treatment modalities, including different medications that work.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/uofapain/mfps.htm

I have MPS from Lyme, and it seems that many other people do as well. I've definitely tried most of the modalities that they recommend. Below are my experiences:

Yoga is a necessity in my life. I've been struggling the last few months because I've gotten off my yoga schedule.

Recent sessions with a psychologist who specializes in pain coping techniques was very helpful. I learned how to meditate to relax muscles and to refocus the brain to sense less pain.

Acupuncture caused muscle spasms.

Antidepressants did nothing but cause side effects.

Flexeril worked great, but I had to stop it after 2.5 years because I couldn't wake up in the mornings.

NSAIDs did nothing.

Tizanidine is my miracle drug. It works great and I sleep better on it.

Narcotics (vicodin in particular) really cuts through the muscle pain. I've taken it for 4 years now with no addiction, and I've only had to increase the dosage once. Tizanidine has allowed me to cut back on the vicodin.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have been dx with MPS!

Thanks for info.

Any interactions with Tizanidine and abx??

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tizanidine interacts with Cipro. My pharmacist caught that one, and he and the nurse practitioner said it was fine as long as I took them at least 2 hours apart.

I haven't seen any others, but you can always ask the pharmacist.

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Aniek,
I've recently started seeing an Osteopath (who practices OMT) and it seems to be helping. I am having manipulations, he's releasing fascia along the way and doing trigger point injections as well.

I've only been doing this about a month but I've had some relief for the first time in a long time. (I struck out with most meds.)

I was diagnosed with MPS after a car accident 18 months into lyme tx. (I was basically there but the severe whiplash pushed me over the edge. That was 13 years ago.)

Thanks for the link and I hope things continue to get better.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have MPS and fibromyalgia as a result of lyme. There is some argument as to whether they are the same illness. My acupuncturist has lyme and treats lyme/fibro patients. She said that using children size needles can help in people who have muscle issues.

If you have fibromyalgia, your muscles don't heal like normal people. This can make even a needle stick problematic.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's MPS?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keshvara
Member # 13599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keshvara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MPS can be helped in several ways. I am not certified, but I've been doing TPM on folks before it was a recognized practice (20+ years). Gentle massage, or a treatment from a TPM can help release your referred pain. Injections are non-useful, but were the first technique used. The modality's results were the same from the therapist using either and implement OR one's elbow (like me) to 1. release the trigger point by holding it for 7 seconds, and the (and this is the MOST important thing), to gently and passively move the clients affected muscles in the correct, non - cramped way it's been for x amount of time. Muscles have a chemical memory and will continue to do what they were last "programmed" to do...say in a cramp, whatever. If your therapist does the 2nd part of the therapy, this "re-programs" the muscles. You will experience mild pain after the treatment but any nsaid will help.

Yoga is great, regular stretching is also wonderful. Hope this helps.

I have MPS from Lyme, and it seems that many other people do as well. I've definitely tried most of the modalities that they recommend. Below are my experiences:

Yoga is a necessity in my life. I've been struggling the last few months because I've gotten off my yoga schedule.

Recent sessions with a psychologist who specializes in pain coping techniques was very helpful. I learned how to meditate to relax muscles and to refocus the brain to sense less pain.

Antidepressants did nothing but cause side effects.

Flexeril worked great, but I had to stop it after 2.5 years because I couldn't wake up in the mornings.

NSAIDs did nothing.

Tizanidine is my miracle drug. It works great and I sleep better on it.

Narcotics (vicodin in particular) really cuts through the muscle pain. I've taken it for 4 years now with no addiction, and I've only had to increase the dosage once. Tizanidine has allowed me to cut back on the vicodin. [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Mal "Ready?"

Zoe "Always."

Posts: 36 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keshvara
Member # 13599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keshvara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for me, it was the other way around. My fibro was caused by a car accident a year ago (well, a constant flare since that time.) I was treated successfuly for Lyme 7 years ago. Unfortunately, fibro suppresses your immune system, and as well know those (**^&* spirochetes are opportunistic *******s.

The are NOT the same illness.

quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
quote:
I have MPS and fibromyalgia as a result of lyme. There is some argument as to whether they are the same illness. My acupuncturist has lyme and treats lyme/fibro patients. She said that using children size needles can help in people who have muscle issues.

If you have fibromyalgia, your muscles don't heal like normal people. This can make even a needle stick problematic.

Terry

--------------------
Mal "Ready?"

Zoe "Always."

Posts: 36 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Fibro is not an illness....It's a syndrome.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tutu asked:
What's MPS?

MPS stands for Myofascial Pain Syndrome. Dr. Starylanyl has both fibromyalgia and MPS and she explains it very well.

http://www.sover.net/~devstar/define.htm

As far as syndrome VS illness. Yes, fibromyalgia is a syndrome but it is also an illness however it is not a disease. Illness is a broader definition than disease. It simply means an unsound physical or mental state.

Keshvara said:
quote:
And for me, it was the other way around. My fibro was caused by a car accident a year ago (well, a constant flare since that time.) I was treated successfuly for Lyme 7 years ago. Unfortunately, fibro suppresses your immune system, and as well know those (**^&* spirochetes are opportunistic *******s.

The are NOT the same illness.

Yes, lyme can induce fibromyalgia. Search the ILADS guidelines for fibromyalgia.
http://www.ilads.org/files/ILADS_Guidelines.pdf

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?doc_id=4836&nbr=3481&string=lyme
"The clinical features of chronic Lyme disease can be indistinguishable from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. These illnesses must be closely scrutinized for the possibility of etiological Borrelia burgdorferi infection."

Fibromyalgia

"The outcome of treating fibromyalgia secondary to Lyme disease with nonantibiotic regimens has been poor. The most encouraging clinical trial showed success in only one of 15 patients and only modest improvement in 6 of 15 individuals with fibromyalgia despite 2 years of treatment.

Antibiotic therapy has been much more effective than supportive therapy in symptomatic patients with fibromyalgia secondary to Lyme disease.

Fibromyalgia treatment alone without antibiotics raises the risk of conversion to refractory chronic Lyme disease and/or exacerbation of an undiagnosed persistent infection and is not recommended. Increasingly, clinicians do not feel comfortable treating fibromyalgia in Lyme disease without antibiotics."

1: Przegl Lek. 2000;57(7-8):424-6.Links
[Tick spirochetosis--Lyme borreliosis][Article in Polish]

Nowakowski G, Kochańska-Dziurowicz A, Widala E.
Instytut Medycyny Pracy i Zdrowia, Srodowiskowego w Sosnowcu.

Lyme boreliosis is currently the most common tick-borne infection. It may cause various clinical symptoms depending on organ localization and duration of the infection. The disease may be symptomless, subclinical or with full clinical manifestation.

Usually three clinical stages may be distinguished. In stage I erythema migrans and flu-like symptoms usually develop. In stage II, connected with the infection spreading with blood and lymph, beside joint pains, neuroboreliosis appears, sometimes the disease involves other organs such as heart, eyes, testicles, joints. Stage III, chronic in its character, usually develops in patients who had previously reported joint and neurological complaints. Encephalopathy and fibromyalgia accompany joint involvement.

Diagnostics of Lyme borreliosis is based on clinical evaluation and laboratory test including culture of the bacteria obtained from biopsies and serological tests.

There are no established standards of the treatment--some examples of the therapy are presented in the paper. The disease if not treated has a progressive course in most causes, however in some patients it can resolve spontaneously even with no treatment.

PMID: 11109319 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

East Afr Med J. 2005 May;82(5):267-9.Links
Lyme disease: report of two cases.Jowi JO, Gathua SN.
Kenyatta National Hospital, P.O. Box 19624-00202, Nairobi, Kenya.

Lyme disease is a tick-borne multisystem disease. It was first described in Lyme, Connecticut, USA in 1975. Cases have been reported in Canada, Switzerland, Austria, Australia and Great Britain.

It is an inflammatory disease that has varied clinical manifestations ranging from skin rash (erythema migrans), arthritis, fibromyalgia, and regional lymphadenopathy, cardiac conduction defects to neurological manifestations of meningoencephalitis, Bell's palsy, peripheral neuropathy, and painful radiculoneuropathy.

There has been no case record of Lyme disease in Kenya and indeed literature on Lyme disease in Africa is very scanty. We present two cases of Lyme disease with predominant neurological manifestations; outline their clinical presentation and management.

PMID: 16119758 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2002 Aug;6(4):284-8.Links
Rheumatic mimics and selected triggers of fibromyalgia.Daoud KF, Barkhuizen A.
Oregon Health and Science University, Division of Rheumatology, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97201, USA.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome of unknown etiology characterized by diffuse pain and tender points, which have been present for more than 3 months.

Many patients with systemic illnesses can have diffuse pain similar to that found in fibromyalgia, including rheumatic diseases such as polymyalgia rheumatica, rheumatoid arthritis, idiopathic inflammatory myopathy, systemic lupus erythematosus, and joint hypermobility.

Osteomalacia and thyroid disease are also in the differential diagnosis of diffuse pain and are imminently treatable. In addition, there has been interest throughout the past 10 years in infectious diseases including hepatitis C, Lyme disease , coxsackie B, HIV, and parvovirus infection, which may cause or trigger fibromyalgia. This paper provides a framework to use when identifying these diseases as part of the evaluation of a patient with chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain.

PMID: 12095463 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

tutu -

In looking further at the definitions of disease and illness I supposed fibro could be considered a disease but I think I understand what you are getting at. Fibromyalgi is a collection of symptoms - not an actual illness/disease in it's own right - or at least I think that is what you are trying to get at?

Terry

daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone,

Fibromyalgia is specific. PCPs often diagnose it when you have muscle pain and they don't know what else it could be.

However, fibromyalgia is in the realm of rheumatologists. It is specific. When you have 11 out of 18 "tender points" (in certain places) then a rheumatologist diagnoses it. It is not a collection of symptoms, at all. Some also have chronic fatigue syndrome.

Yes--Lyme can cause it. If you've been diagnosed with it, use that with doctors to beef-up your case (along with neuro problems, evident when you've had Lyme signs and symptoms a year) to get properly assessed for Lyme. Fibromyalgia along with depression is a ticket to Social Security Disability, if you also have a long, vertical medical file. That means the depression becomes the factor with Social Security Disability and you need to be assessed by the Social Security psychiatrist in your area.

This thread started because of myofascial pain. There are some--only the very good myofascial therapists--who also help those with fibromyalgia generalized muscle pain, however, they can't help with "tender points" of fibromyalgia.

"Tender points" are not at all the same as "trigger points" of myofascial pain. It's a totally different thing, totally different condition!

"Trigger points" are caused by metabolic waste in muscle fascia (the thin membrane covering groups of muscles.) The metabolic waste forms little knots the size of a pea--sometimes the size of a quarter. These cause referred pain to other parts of the body--you usually feel it elsewhere.

There are no painkillers for "trigger points." (Except for the very, very, very, very last restort of injections behind the ear.)

Please see my article "Tinnitus--Ringing Between The Ears" at www.Lymeblog.com. Scroll all the way down to where the articles start, and then scroll down several articles until you get to mine.

There is only one way to get rid of trigger points and that is with an excellent myofascial therapist who can release them.

Daise [hi]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Daise wrote:
Fibromyalgia is specific. PCPs often diagnose it when you have muscle pain and they don't know what else it could be.

Agree, it is a diagnoisis of exclusion. Unfortunately most doctors don't systematically exclude all conditions that can cause muscle pain such as lyme disease.

Daise wrote:
It is specific. When you have 11 out of 18 "tender points" (in certain places) then a rheumatologist diagnoses it. It is not a collection of symptoms, at all. Some also have chronic fatigue syndrome

The tender point diagnosis for fibromyalgia came about not through a scientific process that aptly identifies fibromyalgia but through default since it was used for a study in order to include or exclude certain people from the study.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112223461/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

In my view it does not include the many symptoms that typically go along with fibromyalgia and thus it is a poor way to diagnose a complex syndrome that can have more than one cause. A clinical diagnosis that includes the differential for several other illnesses, including lyme disease would be a more appropriate way to diagnose fibromayalgia and that is the way some doctors diagnose it.

Daise:
"Tender points" are not at all the same as "trigger points" of myofascial pain. It's a totally different thing, totally different condition!

Agree, Tender points and trigger points are not the same thing.

My point is that there is controversy amoung some doctors about whether fibromyalgia includes trigger points or whether fibromyalgia and myofascial syndrome are 2 distinct diagnosis.

I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 12 years. Had it for many years before that. Have many in my family with it due to lyme. I don't know very many people who have had fibro for any length of time who don't have an abundance of trigger points.

Daise wrote:
There is only one way to get rid of trigger points and that is with an excellent myofascial therapist who can release them.

Many people, including myself, get rid of trigger points using a theracane and a book called The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. Use the search facility here to read numerous threads about trigger points. The book details referred pain patterns and helps you identify where to look for the trigger points etc.. It works very well and can often get rid of a sore neck or headache for me in minutes.

My fibromyalgia doctor gives trigger point injections. He and others use steroids in the shots. My sister has had them and they helped but not for very long and they can be painful. My daughter has seen a therapist who knows about trigger points and she got great relief that way. She also uses the theracane.

edited to add:
Steroids are contra-indicated in lyme.
Terry

[ 24. October 2007, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

daise
Unregistered

Terry,

As I stated "trigger points" are something entirely different from "tender points" and there is no controversy about that, only a lot of misinformation.

I don't think you read my blog carefully. I didn't write a book, I wrote a blog. I'm trying to help people with accurate information.

I am very familiar with The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by the Davies'. It's wonderful. And if you'd read my article, as stated in my blog, then you would know that.

However, that doesn't at all cover the generalized pain that often also accompanies fibromyalgia. Again, that generalized pain is not at all "trigger points"! "Trigger points" cause, specifically, referred pain. It is not "tender points."

There is nothing generalized about "trigger points." Myofascial "trigger points" are, once again, knots in the muscle fascia and can't be released by painkillers. It is not possible to release them with painkillers. Only by trigger point therapy. (But as a very, very, very, very last resort, they can be made to not be felt by using a hyperdermic injected painkiller. The pain or other trouble will return, because the trigger point was not actually released.) I know what a theracane is. But I wouldn't blindly tell someone in severe TRIGGER POINT pain to get that book and only that book. Or to blindly get a theracane. That would be irresponsible and cruel.

Someone in severe pain for trigger points needs a very good professional myofascial therapist. Even the book says so! After that, the therapist can show you how to use a theracane. But please keep reading. Because, why would you continue to have to use a theracane if you maybe don't have to?

Fibromyalgia is NOT AT ALL a diagnosis of exclusion, though, just as I said, some PCPs think it is. It is very much in the realm of rheumatologists and they know how to conduct an accurate diagnosis.

Fibromyalgia is a condition of the body. What causes it (for example Lyme, or a small or moderate accident) can be many things. But fibromyalgia is a distinct condition of the body. Like Bell's palsy. Like a heart attack.

As far as the controversy among doctors as to whether--whatever--I couldn't understand what you were getting at--That a person can have fibromyalgia tender points WITH trigger points also is not at all controversial. It's been known for years. Doctors who don't know the facts consider it controversial. Both are metabolic mayhem. I think maybe you are getting trigger points mixed up with the generalized pain that often also accompanies fibromyalgia. Or is that genralized pain actually from Lyme (or something else?)

You said you have many in your family with fibromyalgia. Are their "TRIGGER POINTS" caused by undiagnosed and therefore untreated hypothyroidism? (It runs in families, that's why I mentioned it.) Or by not properly treated hypothyroidism? That can also cause "trigger points" but in places of the muscle fascia that you usually wouldn't normally expect them and not strictly causing "referred pain" but pain--yes. That's a big clue that the trigger points are caused by untreated or not properly treated hypothyroidism. At that point, use of T3 (compounded Armour or Cytomel) is imperative to keep the trigger points from coming back; and also to provide your cells with T3. It's taken at the same time as T4, for most. In the event of this happening, hypothyroidism hasn't been properly treated (or not at all treated.) The trigger points will keep coming back and therapy, whether you do it yourself or have it done by a therapist, will be all for naught.

A good book is Living Well With Hypothyroidism, 2005 Edition, by Mary J. Shomon.

To try to prevent others from getting the wrong information--and wrong information abounds on fibromyalgia--I give the facts. That is what's helpful to others.

Daise

Aniek
Member # 5374

quote:
[QUOTE]

I was misdiagnosed as having fibromyalgia before Lyme. More than one physical therapist has said my body does not react like a person with fibro.

Tizanidine (zanaflex) is really the best thing I've ever tried besides yoga. My muscles inflame and spasm with any stimulus such as acupuncture or myofascial release.

--------------------

TerryK
Member # 8552

Daise wrote:
As I stated "trigger points" are something entirely different from "tender points" and there is no controversy about that, only a lot of misinformation.

As I already said: I agree. I NEVER said they were the same in the first place even though your responses seem to indicate several times that you think I did.

Daise:
quote:
I wouldn't blindly tell someone in severe TRIGGER POINT pain to get that book and only that book. Or to blindly get a theracane. That would be irresponsible and cruel.
I do not blindly tell anyone anything. I typically research everything quite well before saying anything. I did not tell anyone to get that book and only that book. You said that nothing could be done except seeing a therapist. Not all of us have access to a therapist. I do not feel it is harmful to tell people about available resources.

I would not want anyone to suffer with horrible headaches and pain when they might be helped by something as simple as a theracane. I've been using one for years as have many people that I know. NO ONE that I know of has been harmed in any way by the use of a theracane. To suggest that it is dangerous is not accurate. Of course, like everything else, people have a right to decide for themselves and I have a right to impart any information that I feel is useful to others. I'm sorry you feel it is irresponsible and cruel. I disagree with you on that.

quote:
As far as the controversy among doctors as to whether--whatever--I couldn't understand what you were getting at--That a person can have fibromyalgia tender points WITH trigger points also is not at all controversial. It's been known for years.
As I said, I have both myself as do many members of my family so you are singing to the choir.

There are many doctors who treat fibromyalgia but don't recognize that myofascial pain syndrome is a separate condition and not part of fibromyalgia. I've seen it and read about it many times. It is common in my experience. I'm not saying it is accurate, just that there is a controversy about it.

Thank you for the information about hypothyroidism. I have been tested literally dozens of times for various types of thyroid problems and they all come back normal. Many in my family have hashimoto's thyroidism and they are being treated for it. Hypoglycemia can also cause trigger points according to the author of the trigger point manual.

quote:
To try to prevent others from getting the wrong information--and wrong information abounds on fibromyalgia--I give the facts. That is what's helpful to others.
Neither of us are doctors but we still have a right to voice our understanding of fibromyalgia. I have spent considerable time and energy over a period of many years researching fibromyalgia and thus I consider myself very well read on the subject. There are some things about fibromyalgia that we don't agree on. That's OK, many in the medical profession don't agree on a number of things about fibromyalgia either.

Terry

[ 24. October 2007, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

TerryK
Member # 8552

quote:
My muscles inflame and spasm with any stimulus such as acupuncture or myofascial release.
I'm sorry you have such severe reactions. Have you ever been told why you are having these reactions? I mean, what is actually happening to cause this response from your muscles?

Terry

Aniek
Member # 5374

quote:
I'm sorry you have such severe reactions. Have you ever been told why you are having these reactions? I mean, what is actually happening to cause this response from your muscles?

Terry,

Nobody knows why. My LLMD has wondered if the Lyme is actually in the muscles that inflame. I have been told that the release of toxins from acupuncture, massage and release could cause the reaction.

I believe that a good part of it is neurological. I think the nervous system is telling the muscles to tighten, which his why the tizanidine works so well.

--------------------

daise
Unregistered

TerryK,

You replied:

---------------------------------------------
Neither of us are doctors but we still have a right to voice our understanding of fibromyalgia.

--------------------------------------------

You attacked me. I defended myself.

Daise

TerryK
Member # 8552

daise:
I'm sorry if you feel that I attacked you. That was not my intention. Please point out where you feel I attacked you so that I can understand what you are talking about.

Thanks,
Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

Aniek,
Thanks for explaining. I wish we knew more answers about how lyme affects our muscles. I know that since I've been on abx I seem to have a lot more sudden tightening of muscles, usually along my right side.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Terry

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek- Zanaflex(tizanidine) has helped me with muscle tightness as well.

That is interesting that you were told you can take cipro with this drug. I may have to go on it in the future and worried about having to stop zanaflex.

In the printout from my pharmacy it says it is used for MS.

I just wish it was longer lasting, but its the only muscle relaxer that doesnt make me a zombie the next day.

I have trigger points too, mostly in my pelvis, physical therapy really helped me. It is really amazing at wear those trigger points refer pain too.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought of my fibromyalgia and myofascial pain as the same condition. And I had myofascial work done for years and it never cleared the pain. The MFP therapist couldn't understand why. Now we know.

Question: can fibromyalgia be anything other than Lyme? For example, when I went on clindamycin antibiotic 150mg 4x/day, the FM pain went to zero in one week -- the first time in 25 years, the FM pain having started 3 months after the tick bite.

Has anyone ever heard of FM pain responding by going to zero from any other treatment for any other condition?

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

quote:
Robin123: For example, when I went on clindamycin antibiotic 150mg 4x/day, the FM pain went to zero in one week
Wow! Seems like you've at least found a helpful abx. I know of someone in my fibro group who took abx for H. pylori and on days 4-9 her pain was almost completly gone. Came back on day 10 and got really bad after she went off. I don't know what abx she was on. My H.Pylori treatment didn't make any difference in my pain except it seemed to help my reflux.

quote:
Robin123: can fibromyalgia be anything other than Lyme?
There is a huge list of theories about possible causes for fibromyalgia but I'm no expert on the use of clindamyacin and why it would be effective for fibromyalgia.

My N.D. has fibro/lyme and treats mostly fibro paitents. She believes that most of them have lyme but she says she sees a LOT of fibro paitents with chlamydia. Seems to be an infection that often occurs with lyme in her patients. It looks like clindy is effective for chlamydia.

Another infection that has been implicated in fibro that might respond to clindy is mycoplasma. Not something I've spent much time looking into but you might want to check Garth Nicolson's site for info:
http://www.immed.org/index.htm

quote:
Robin123: Has anyone ever heard of FM pain responding by going to zero from any other treatment for any other condition?
Well, I have heard of several but they are anecdotal and I have no way of knowing if they are real.

Chari malformation - requires surgery. I would approach that with great caution.

Sleep apnea treatment with CPAP.
Keeps my throat open so I can breath at night but did nothing for my pain.

Of course, lyme treatment.

Parathyroid gland tumor.

Wilsons syndrome
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

Hemochromatosis (excess iron)
It can be hereditary.

Excess phosphates - guai protocol

I'm sure there are many others that I haven't heard about or don't remember. I got about 50% pain relief by supplementing with L-tryptophan. I have disordered tryptophan metabolism according to some tests. Apparently some with fibro have this problem according to a study that Dr. Starlanyl mentions. If you supplement with tryptophan and you have an infection such as lyme, you could be asking for trouble in the form of quinolinic acid. Search in this forum if you want more info about that.

Hopefully others will come by with more info. Try doing a google search for fibromyalgia and clindy to see if anything comes up. I'd be interested if you find anything useful as I'm always searching for answers.

Terry

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, Terry. I think I'm going to make a general query on this question. I have also googled for clindamycin and mycoplasma, and clindamycin and brucellosis, two infections that have been discussed as possibly having been combined in crystalline form with Lyme. And my googling results says clinda also treats those infections too. Hmmm.

[ 25. October 2007, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi Robin 123,

Fibromyalgia can be caused by a small or medium accident, for example, a car accident.

Or it can be caused by certain pathogens and Lyme is one of them.

There is a wonderful book (hope I get the title correct,) Living Well With Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia, by Mary J. Shomon. It's a resource guide. She brings up many possible causes and/or what else it can cause. Supurb!

Take care,

Daise [Cool]

TerryK
Member # 8552

daise:
Since you accused me of attacking you, would you please be kind enough to point out exactly what I said that prompted your accusation? I've already asked you once, if you don't respond, I'll assume that you realize that you were mistaken.

Thanks,
Terry

Aniek
Member # 5374

cant - talk to your doctor about zanaflex and cipro. But as I said, my pharmacist and LLMD said as long as it was 2 hours apart, I was ok. I took my blood pressure regularly, just in case the zanaflex in my system increased. It lowers my blood pressure, so I figured I would know that way.

--------------------

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aniek- How much zanaflex do you take. Im taking 2mg I will ask my dr if I do end up going on the cipro.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement