LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bad memory -- HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad memory -- HELP!
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.

I've had problems for a while with word searching and such, but I am so scared that my memory is getting worse.

Yesterday I forgot my phone number. I was filling out a survey thing, and forgot it. I had to ask my husband what it was. [Frown]

This scares me, to say the least!

And today I couldn't remember the name of my best friend's fiancee.

What should I expect? Will this continue to get worse or what? I'm being treated, but this is scary!

I'm afraid my memory is going to continue to decline. I'm afraid I'll forget my name or something really terrifying like that!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

PS - we know for sure that I have Bartonella.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cognitive issues got worse when I started bart treatment, but have started getting better .... I'm on week 5 of bart treatment, 10 months Lyme/babs treatment.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not just Lyme:

http://members.aol.com/gotemf/emf/symptoms.htm

"Often people find their short term memory is effected by EMF. If they are traveling and pass by a tower, besides the other side effects that take place, their memory goes on pause for a few minutes until they are out of the area. They can still carry on a conversation and drive a car, but remembering fine detail becomes frustrating. This is because the brains "blood brain barrier" is being penetrated by cell phone signals, confusing the brain, causing it to be distracted, and often frustration."

This has happened to me, especially when I am exposed to extra high or prolonged EMFs.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe your having a mild herx. I know that the

intensity of my neuro symptoms can vary greatly

from day to day, and I'm not even treating yet

(waiting for Igenex results to come back.) Just

hang in there-- I think

everything in

the literature states that, in the long run,

cognition improves

with

treatment! [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing stuff like for the past 4-5 years. so much I thought it was normal, although I knew it wasnt.

I had phone consult with my LLMD Friday and found out that I had put down my phone number as a combo of my home and work!!! OOPPSS!!

When i went in for my appt, it asked my age, i transposed the #'s - from 38, to 83 so when i got there he was kinda like - ummmmmmm?????

I hate it! I sure cant wait for it to get better!

I know how you feel and so many others do to, my friend. Stay here and keep coming back. So far it is the only place I have found that I am not

CRAZY although the jury is still out as far as most people around me are concerned [loco]

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a doctor so please check this out with your doctor. I will share what I've found helpful for memory. I use several things to enhance acetylcholine which is affected by a borrelia toxin.

Acetylcholine is very much involved in memory. For more info, read at the link below. I have cut and pasted some of the salient info.

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm
Action of Toxin
The action of botulinum (as well as the toxin from the Lyme spirochete) is to prevent, through its action as a proteolytic enzyme, the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Nerve endings may be associated with other nerves or muscles (the neuromuscular junction). To understand this mechanism in greater detail, consider the basic principles of nerve physiology described below.

Dietary Supplements in Lyme Disease
One of the known actions of the Lyme spirochete toxin is to diminish the release and availability of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, a simple organic compound (see above for chemical structure). This substance is biosynthesized by the body as required in nerve activation and transmission. Supplementation by the precursors of acetylcholine synthesis would be of value to Lyme patients since they have a deficiency of this substance. (See Listing 1.)

Listing 1: Dietary Supplements Increasing Acetylcholine
Synthesis Improving Neurologic Function

Phosphatidylcholine (Lecithin)
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
Lysine (Amino Acid)
S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM) (Sulfur-bound Adenosyl Methionine)
If the inhibition of acetylcholine release were total, Lyme patients and those suffering from food poisoning would not be able to move; they would be completely paralyzed. Since the blockage is only partial, any increase in the amount of available neurotransmitter would benefit anyone experiencing neurotransmitter blockage. For this reason, dietary supplements increasing the amount of available acetylcholine have been shown to benefit Lyme patients.

I also use huperzine A which helps with acetylcholine.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glittergirl34
Member # 13598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glittergirl34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you need to get a spect scan and check for brain inflamation and hypofusion (lack of blood flow) from encephalitis. i have the same kind of issues where i can't remember the names of people i am close to or everyday objects and i forget what i am doing all the time. my spect shows pretty bad infamation. this info will help determine your course of treatment. unfortunately with this disease you get worse until you find the right antibiotics, but the brain function returns once the inflammation goes down. hope that helps.
Posts: 6 | From sf | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other thing you might consider is that you may have quinolinic acid as a result of inflammation. Stephen Buhner writes about it in his healing lyme book. There are supplements that you can take to help if this is your problem. Again, check with your doctor. Do a search here for info on quinolinic acid.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glittergirl34:
you need to get a spect scan and check for brain inflamation and hypofusion (lack of blood flow) from encephalitis. i have the same kind of issues where i can't remember the names of people i am close to or everyday objects and i forget what i am doing all the time. my spect shows pretty bad infamation. this info will help determine your course of treatment. unfortunately with this disease you get worse until you find the right antibiotics, but the brain function returns once the inflammation goes down. hope that helps.

I did have an MRI already. It was normal.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Disturbed. Welcome to the club!!

Have you done any IV? It sounds as if it might be useful.

Do keep in mind that a SPECT scan provides a much more comprehensive picture of your brain than an MRI, which only sees lesions, tumours, etc... A SPECT will show areas where the brain is not getting sufficient perfusion, or oxygenation. It isn't absolutely diagnostic for lyme but when it's known that you already HAVE lyme it's pretty hard to argue with it. Also, when you have marked memory problems, it will help with getting IV coverage and helps sometimes to justify SSDI.

How about coinfections such as babesia, etc? Have them or treating for them?

In addition to the excellent suggestions above, C0Q10 and Gingko Biloba are good additions for brain power.

The bad news: Yes, it can get much worse.

The good news: Yes, it can and will get much better!! I don't know what treatment you're on, but make sure it's aggressive and penetrates the blood-brain barrier. Make sure coinfections are treated. Your brain WILL surprise you and make a comeback!!

[group hug]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this same frustrating symptom when I was finally diagnosed. 4-5 months after starting minocycline, and the fog cleared. Basically have not had any problems since.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement