LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr B has seen remission without antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr B has seen remission without antibiotics
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am stealing this quote from Cave's thread titled Dr B's exercize recommendations. It is an excellent thread. Please read it.

Here is the quote about remission without abx.

I encourage all Lyme patients to go through a formal rehabilitation program. Generally, this involves progressing from simple physical therapy modalities, then to stetching and mobility training, and finally to formal strengthening exercices supervised either by the physical therapist, or by a qualified, credentialed exercise coach.

A surprising thing happened which none of us expected-when Lyme patients went further with their rehab, to include a whole-body conditioning program, the lyme seemed to go away!

I have seen this occur repeatedly, including in some patients who did not even go on antiobiotics!

I'm sure he is not saying "Don't do abx" but he is saying appropriate exercize is so critical that some have achieved remission without even using abx.

Now folks, if it works that well without abx, then how much better and faster with abx?

And what does exercize do for the body? It increases blood and lymph flow which carries nutrients to the cells and toxins away from the cells. Exercise also detoxes through increased deep breathing. The heart pumps our blood in through one set of veins and out through another set of veins. The first place the toxic (out) blood goes is to the lungs. So deep breathing is an excellent method of detox.

Dr B talks of the increased body heat which is bad for lyme and he speaks of the ABSOLUTE necessity of a low fat diet to help the body and boost the immune system.

Dr B clearly recognizes the importance of treating, nuturing and healing the body (the terrrain) before lyme can be cured.

WOW!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that thread as well. I even went and ordered several Tai Chi DVD's to get started on something.

I was doing some research last night on the adaptations of BB. It is scary the way it changes, goes into latent stages. And how it is difficult if not impossiple to kill at different phases.

It seems we/they know so little, although more than once known, about this specific bacteria and how to eliminate it from our bodies.

That tells me that I have to put out all the stops for them. If that means adding excerise, then add it.

If remission is my best hope then I want remission. But I want it to last. I want to be cured. That is my true wish.

I want my life back. To have the freedom that everyone out there without BB has - the freedom to make a choice and not worry wether or not

my body will cooperate with attaining that direction.

Sorry to make this a "pitty pot post" - back on topic!!! I AM adding excercise!

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cj

Yours is not a pitty pot post. You are expressing the exact emotion I felt when I was so sick. Your lack of health does dictate what,when how and even if you will do something.

It does get better. In Jan of this year, after reading lots of good posts here and at another website about rebounding, I purchased a very nice (translate to expensive) rebounder. My lyme has escalated to Rheum. Arthritis which was doing fairly well and I had hope the rebounder would make it even better.

How sad I was to find that even the most gentle bouncing possible flared up my ankles and knees.

Having spent so much, I was determined to use it somehow, so I would sit on it and bounce while watching TV. I enjoyed this because it felt much like riding my horse at a slow trot.

It took a couple of months but I kept getting better until I could stand and rebound for short periods of time (like 5 mins). I would do this everytime I had a chance which was minimally 2x daily.

I just kept getting better and better. Now I have no joint pain when doing anything. I can mount my horse from the ground again. I can run (though I do not run for exercise as I think it is hard on joints)and I can rebound 30 mins at a time. I'm not sure how much rebounding helped but I believe it helped alot. It is a great way to get the lymph glands moving and they carry garbage to the liver and kidneys for elimination.

I also do a mild form of yoga for stretching and strength training. I deep breath while doing both of these exercises and even whenever else I think about it. Like in the car, grocery store, etc.

You will get better. Especially if you add diet and exercise to your regimen.

Go for it!

Luvs

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjnelson
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjnelson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Luvs.

--------------------
Seeking renewed health & vitality.
---------------------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice - I am NOT a dr!

Posts: 830 | From TN | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I can tell you is that after having this for 30+ years, it absolutely DOES go into remission on its own (provided you do not have co-infections, I guess). I was a very active kid and young adult and had periods of good health in between arthritis and active flare-ups. The bottom line is moderation. If you under-do it, and don't get out and active at all, you will not feel well. If you over-do it, you'll be hurting a LOT. Just walking the mall once or twice a week is beneficial.

What I can say is that it is progressive. The older you get, the harder it is. AND never being treated at all, based on what I have read here, is much better than being undertreated and relapsing. I was OK for 20 years, with problems on and off...some rather debilitating symtpoms, always followed by decent times. I was never sick for months on end until I got over 27 years old. After that, the last decade has been rough. However, for the first 20 years, I spent more time in remission. Way more.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent observation, Luvs!

***''I have seen this occur repeatedly, including in some patients who did not even go on antibiotics!''***

Thank you for your honest comment, Dr. B.! [kiss]

Clearly, Dr. B. has seen remission occur without the use of antibiotics. We've heard it from the ``horse's mouth'', so to speak. And Dr. B's observations appear to parallel what we read here at LymeNet on a regular basis. [Smile]

Whether Doc B. attributes this non-abx remission to exercise or anything else isn't the important thing: the fact that it happens at all is quite significant. [woohoo]

By recognizing this and attempting to understand this better through research and even personal experience can perhaps teach us a lot about `what makes this disease tick' (if you'll pardon the pun).

And obviously, from Dr. B's own observations in these guidelines and others, the `terrain' is a key factor. Anything that changes the terrain to a significant degree can be the causative factor in remission. [Big Grin]

And isn't knowledge of how to treat this disease the thing all of us are after?

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, there have always been pepole able to fight it off with their own immune systems alone-*)!!

I wish it was online but I have searched for it and not been able to find it online- I had seen it in an LDA video of a pedatric conference-
Rocky MOuntain Labs has this footage of actual spirochetes both going into and lysing cells and also the oppsite- of cells killing spirochetes- the most amazing Lyme footage I have ever seen!!!

I wish I and everyone else were those people with fortunate genes or immune systems- would be nice)!(*_)(*!*!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We learned "shaking". Pick your own music, speed, and step from one foot to the other and/or move any part or all parts of the body in any direction that feels good - you shake, you jump, you let the arms fly - any move at any speed in any direction that you feel like - eyes open, eyes closed while doing it -

It activates the body by incorporating every joint that wants to move and releases all tension.

CD's and/or DVD's available.

P.S. One can do "shaking" from a sitting position if that is all one is able to do.

[ 22. October 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who's built much of my life around exercise, I can say that it has made a difference for me. Deconditioning takes it's toll on a body. When we're sick, we get deconditioned pretty quickly.

I wish everyone wiht Lyme the ability to do weight training and aerobic exercise as soon as they are able too. Study after study states taht even small amounts of exercise has a whole host of benefits for the human body.

BT

Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

FOR THOSE WITH EXERCISE SET-BACKS WAY OUT OF PROPORTION :

if anyone has exercise set-backs out of the ordinary, here's a separate thread for that population with a few articles for how to work through that.

that THREAD IS AT:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059734

=================================

or http://tinyurl.com/33rxy8

Post-Polio and Post-M.E.- New book furthers polio hypothesis

Jane Colby - The CFIDS Chronicle - Fall 1996

EXCERPT:

when mice infected with Coxsackie B3 were forced to swim in a warm pool, the virulence of the virus was drastically augmented.

In fact, viral replication was augmented 530 times. This did horrendous things to the animals' hearts.

We all know that to play squash with the flu can lead to heart attacks. Much the same danger can be courted by undertaking hard exercise with M.E. -

[note: M.E. is what CFS is called in Canada & Europe - can't spell but myalgic encelpha .. - inflamation of the brain and as we know may CFS patients may have undiagnosed infections.]

=======================================

Big differences in types of exercise and safety factors for individuals. Adrenal function also should not be pushed past

http://www.cfids.org/sparkcfs/working-out.pdf

WHEN WORKING OUT DOESN'T WORK OUT
By Dr. Christopher R. Snell, Dr. J.Mark VanNess and Staci R. Stevens, Guest Contributors

The CFIDS CHRONICLE - SUMMER 2004 pdf 4 pages

This explains a lot about aerobic and non-aerobic exercise and the heart. - good to share with others.

-

[ 05. January 2008, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had Lyme for 35 years, undiagnosed until last December.

I had three flare ups that caused what seemed like CFS along with GI issues. Those three were cleared with rest, diet, sunshine and rigorous exercise.

I have exercised heavily for years now ... weights (three sets of each exercise, about 8-12 reps, to failure) and cardio for 30-40 minutes.

Most of my years I was healthier than my "healthy" friends ... I did not know I was "sick."

Four years ago we were under significant stress (stress also caused my other three flare ups). This time I was already eating a good diet and exercising, but it didn't clear up and progressively got worse until I did internet research and discovered what was wrong with me.

I was CDC IgG positive (8 positive bands) so even as sick as I was, my immune system was working. Most of this time I have at least continued weights, but at times I've had to leave off the cardio.

I am on abx and am responding well. I am also being treated for babs and bart.

I am living proof that it can be cured without abx ... yet at the same time, also proof that it doesn't work for everyone or every time.

I really think that exercise through the years has been critical to my good health ... I am a healthy person with a bacterial infection. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could exercise. My main symptom is pain/burning in my legs. If I exercise it flares to and it becomes excruciating.
Before this I used to swim and lift weights. There is no way I can do it until my pain decreases substantially - and in 6 months it never has [Frown]

--------------------
Why me? Well, why not me???

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was exercising for years before I became ill.

I ran 4-5 times a week and worked out with weights, and mountain biked sometimes.

I still became ill.

I started to exercise after being on antibiotics for months, and felt it did not get me any better, I still needed antibiotics and I still was not getting any better.

I did though notice something with exercise about 1 month ago, I went for a bike ride on the mountain bike for a block, and then came back, I was SO sick the next day.

Crying because I was so sick I said NO more bike rides. I actually could not believe that I was strong enough to bike ride, because 1 month before I could not do this,

So, I then went for another bike ride a few days later and I went for 2 blocks, AGAIN I was so sick the next day, for about 2 days or so, I was shakey, breathing bad, burning all over, it was what I call 'the deep sickness' when I am sick.

SO, I then tried again, 1 week later and want to say, that I kept biking and went 3 blocks, and was NOT sick the next day, so I went out again,
and was even exposed to light which I seemed to ok with,

I was NOT sick the next day, I then did this, and was OK! I then had some stress in life, and have not gone on BIKE. I am too sick, no stress now, but too sick to bike, I dont know why I am getting sick again.

I could not be exposed to light riding a bike, 3 months ago, it made me so ill, so whatever I am doing is working slowly. ANTIBIOTICS.

I feel exercise played a role in better health for a time in my healing, as you can see above,
HOWEVER, I became so very very sick after the first bike ride, that I said i would not exercise again at this time in my life, but I DID, and seemed to feel better slowly with it.

Now, I am too sick to exercise and it could be that because I have been rifing, ALONG with my antibiotics, I am worse, I dont know if it is the herxing, or me reacting to the EMF from rife? or I am just getting worse, I dont know.

Thought I would share this, best I could [Smile]

PS, the bike ride in the fresh air seemed to make me happy, really lift my spirits, I think this is because I love to go on mountain bike, for a time there, it was like I was back in time, and was WELL. Joyous feeling, but then back to house and back to bed and sick.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Health,

I don't know anything about Rife, but I know stress can make you very sick. In fact, stress is so detrimental that you can eat a perfect diet, exercise religiously and if you are stressed, it will cancel out all the good.

I'm betting your stressful situation set you back.

The herxing after the exercise may have just been the effect of too much exercise.

Just try not to overdo and set yourself back.

You were a runner before coming down with lyme?
I find it very interesting how many of us were bigtime athletes before we got sick.

Exercise builds up the body. Too much exercise breaks down the body. Were we all guilty of too much exercise?

Luvs

--------------------

Greatcod
Unregistered

Its important to understand that Lyme is something of a relapsing remitting illness.
So the immune system gets it under control for a while them it returns. Especially early on.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luvs, you are right about the stress. That is what caused my current flare up. I was healthy and did not overtrain, I was very aware of that. Overtraining can cause adrenal fatigue in a healthy person, so it definately could cause someone with Lyme to get very ill.

I was in remission without medication, but after having amalgams removed, exercising, good diet, supplements, etc. for 12 years. I only flared during pregnancies, and the flare ended when the babies were born.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sixgoofykids:
Are you on abx for your current flare up?
Did you take abx for those flares you experienced around pregnancy? How long?

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I am currently on abx. My first three times I became sick from this -- 1982, 1986, 1991 -- I got better without abx and without knowing what made me ill. This time (2003-present) it was too much ... it took four years to figure out what was wrong.

I did not know I had Lyme before last December ... the symptoms resolved on their own after the pregnancies. I would NOT have done it that way had I known I had Lyme, I would have been working with an LLMD during my pregnancies.

--------------------

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would bet it's the heat doing the trick(remission or cure).
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also mentions that you can do abx forever, but you will not get well without excercise, he stresses this point at every conference.

Also, he indicates co-infections will resolve on their own if Bb is brought under control. This is in his treatment guidelines and LDA video.

My LLMD said this long ago, if Bb is brought under control the body can fight the co-infections.

Excercise Dr. B stresses for 2 reasons, saying that the tiniest bit of oxygen will kill Bb, and heating up the body intenally.

I knew a girl with LD - she began an excercise program for 5 years and was well, as soon as she quit her program, she relapsed.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Dr. B said in a conference from 2005 (was recently posted her .... on bartonella), that they used to treat very long term for borrelia only and that the coinfections would resolve themselves as the immune system got stronger.

He suggested that they now do it differently and treat the coinfections, which shortens the total treatment time.

He said that if you just got babesia without Lyme, it would resolve itself in six weeks, that it's the Lyme that makes coifections take hold.

--------------------

Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
I have had Lyme for 35 years, undiagnosed until last December.

I had three flare ups that caused what seemed like CFS along with GI issues. Those three were cleared with rest, diet, sunshine and rigorous exercise.

I have exercised heavily for years now ... weights (three sets of each exercise, about 8-12 reps, to failure) and cardio for 30-40 minutes.

Most of my years I was healthier than my "healthy" friends ... I did not know I was "sick."

Four years ago we were under significant stress (stress also caused my other three flare ups). This time I was already eating a good diet and exercising, but it didn't clear up and progressively got worse until I did internet research and discovered what was wrong with me.

I was CDC IgG positive (8 positive bands) so even as sick as I was, my immune system was working. Most of this time I have at least continued weights, but at times I've had to leave off the cardio.

I am on abx and am responding well. I am also being treated for babs and bart.

I am living proof that it can be cured without abx ... yet at the same time, also proof that it doesn't work for everyone or every time.

I really think that exercise through the years has been critical to my good health ... I am a healthy person with a bacterial infection. [Smile]

This is me almost to a "T"!
I've been sick for 13 yrs and when I got sick, I was told I had CFS. I had no other way to try to get well so I changed my entire diet and joined a gym and worked out with heavy weights 6 days a week for 2 hrs.
Withing 2 months, I was 99% better. I had some bad days, but never what I was before my life change.
I went downhill last yr when I had a D & C and was not working out as much. I was dx with lyme last Aug.

This is prob why I feel odd about taking all these abx. I almost feel I need to just get back to my work out regime.

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Tabers...GREAT post :-)

I think MANY need to listen to that post.

This is a great thread by the way

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by Peacesoul:
This is me almost to a "T"!

Yeah, I've thought the same thing after reading several of your posts.

I tried the exercise route this time ... well, I had been exercising already when I got sick. But I was too far gone ..... perhaps the stress went on for too long ... perhaps the doxy I took for another illness stirred up the Lyme too much .... whatever it was, I needed more than before and I was sicker this time.

I am back to my workout regimen and I think it's a big part of my recovery. I only feel bad during herxes and tindamax.

--------------------

Greatcod
Unregistered

Well, Lyme after all is a relapsing remiting illness..like the Relapsing Fever caused by a similiar spirochete. I suspect a lot of people who think they have improved on a given protocol are simply experience the norma course of the ilness...that the treatment has had no impact what so ever.

And keep in mind that over doing exercising can
cause a relapse.
Nothing simple about Lyme, nothing at all.

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Tabers, wow, another great post.
You basically just got into my head/mind/heart and wrote exactly how I feel about lyme.

I also believe long term abx are not the answer. Every darn time I pop an abx, my instincts are telling me something just isn't right.
Yes, I've been sick for 13 yrs and propably should get the germ load down and give the abx a shot, but I don't think it's going to cure me.

My homeopath believes in working with "the person" and not the disease to solve the issue. Everyone is so diff so every should be treated diff. She believes if one can get their immune system strong enough, our bodies can fight any illness. I don't think this is 100% accurate, but I believe making the bdy strong can help in any cure.

When one has let's say bronchitis, we are given abx and the bacteria is killed. And once we start abx, we feel SO MUCH better.
This is why I have a hard time believing in herxing. I don't believe one has to feel TOTALLY worse before getting better.
My body has been under so much stress from these abx, I feel like I will never get better.

This site is negative, but there is also a lot of good people with good info. The reason why you hear the negative is b/c people usually only post when they need support from being ill.

But the commment about relapse/remitting lyme, I believe it. 13 yrs ago, I was so sick, I too had a hard time functioning. When I joined the gym and changed my diet, I was better for 11 yrs. It was only last yr I started to relapse. Not sure why, but my heart believes it was a mix of stress and my D & C. Almost like that procedure stirred something up. Within a week I was getting pain, fatigue and in a months time, I had vertigo etc.

Do I think I will ever be 100%, no, but I do believe I can be 99% better as long as I keep up my healthy routine.

Who know, I hope one day they find a cure for lyme, because I truly don't believe the cure is long term abx.

Again...great post!

Greatcod
Unregistered

I suspect many people here don't understand why Lyme is relapsing -remitting illness, or what that means.
The Lyme bacterium is capable of antigenic variation, that is, it can vary its outer surface protiens to evade detection by the immune
system. So when the immune system contains it, it is capable of becoming something of a diferent animal, which is to say that the antibodies the immune system had generated to control the bacterium no longer work, because those OSPs have been down regulated, and the immune sytem is facing what to it is essentaily a new infection, ie, the person gets sick again.
(What makes us feel sick and weak is the poisons of our own immune response.)
The arguements you are making about exercise and such are certainly valid in recovering from the deconditioning the illness produces--however, the new version of the bacterum can emerge and bring us down again. Not much at all to do with
weight lifting or positive attitudes,; it is about the capacity of Bb to re-invent itself.

CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GreatCod, many years back 3 members of the MountainView Lyme SUpport group decided to go completely off antibiotics and just ride the wave so to speak. Their support gorup leader was one of those people and she & I had discussions about what happened- she and both the other people got worse and got better at various times without treatment of any kind- not in full remission but betetr- if they had been on treatment of any kind no doubt they would have allocated their experiences to whatever they were doing at the time- but they were doing notihng-

two of those people ended up going back on abx at various times- the third I don't know-

Yes it is a relapsing remitting illness.
I appreciated your comment in the spirit of which it was intended greatC- accuracy.

I have never dared to do that, nor would I, because my progression was more lethal and faster than theirs- these were very chronic FMS/CFS types- not tertiary!!!

All are still chronic.

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i did not read this thread thorughly, but i did want to add to it that one of the biggest factors in my recovery from all tbd's has been exercise.

i started by crawling to the tv and doing 5 min of yoga.

now, on even my worst days, i FORCE myself to do a workout, pilates, yoga, tai chi, etc.

i have a lot of head pain and toxins in the upper body area, so i cannot do cardio yet (although latest findings in neuro science points to cardio being one of the best ways to exercsie your MIND)

hang in there everyone. start out slow, then gradually add as you can go.

before i got sick, i was 6' 200 lbs and benching 300. now, i am glad to be able to lift a 5 lb dumbbell, because its progress.

yes, this disease is humbling, but we can, along w diet, exercise, nutrition, and abx, beat it.

good luck to us all

humbly

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps tabers you could not be more right.

if you truly believe you will not get better, you wont.

some suggested literature and movies for thought:

carolyn myss audio (has great stuff regarding healing)

the movie the secret

the movie lorenzos oil

and NO i dont have financial ties to these, they just help add fresh perspective and motivation when i get down.

cheers!

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

I know a woman who has been housebound, and often bedbound, with Lyme for a decade. She is on Fytenal patches for the horrible pain she is in. She has had a great deal of IV ABX treatment without significant improvement. She is 60 years old.
Do you want to tell her that her problem is that she doesn't do stenght training and aerobic exercise, and has a negative attitude?
I never said don't exercise-- that's stupid--I would suggest that if you run a couple a miles a day that you don't try a marathon with no sleep the night before just to see if you could do it.
There are a zillion factors that go into an individual's experience with TBD...people who think they have all the answers are delusional.
People who condemn Lymies who are still sick are in fact sadistic.

Greatcod
Unregistered

Is the reason that three years olds in the third world die of malaria that they have negative attitudes?? Thar's quite a deep understanding of the disease process...or maybe it's just silly.
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabers, I loved your post. Reminds me that your health and knocking lyme & company down a step or two is achievable by looking outside the box.

If you are sitting at home, saying woe is me, I don't think the magic tooth fairy is going to show up at your door and help you.

Thanks for bringing this up again.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had remitting/relapsing CFS for 7 years before I was finally diagnosed with Lyme in October.

Walking outside in the fresh air is definitely part of my rehab. The trick is to not overdo. Build up gradually, and maybe not everyday. I recently walked my first mile since my relapse 18 mos. ago.

Too much exercise can bring about relapses, too. You have to listen to your body and gradually work up to all. Keep a log on how far you go.

I've gone into two remissions. I hoping for the third. I recently started ABX in October, and inching slowly ahead.

Last spring I did 3 months of Chinese herbs working with a TCM doctor. I relapsed further into my relapse. The herbs gave me more energy and I was doing more, but they didn't get the bacteria load down, and the exertion caused me to have a setback. Caffeine, ginseng, and other stimulating Chinese herbs were part of it.

I then tried South American herbs - cumanda, and burbur. I herxed like craze on the cumanda, and it took me 3 months to work up to the therapeutic dose of 15 drops/twice daily. The cumanda kept things at bay, and I very slowly inched my way forward without a significant relapse. Cumanda was also an antifungal, and I think that helped with some things, too.

I pulsed amoxcillin for two months, and didn't see much progress. I've been doxycycline for a month and saw gains in brain fog and endurance - about 10%. Modest, but at least a gain.

I tried azithromycin 1/4 tablet for two days, and herxed so bad I was crying.

My first two relapses only lasted 13 months. This one has endured for 18 mos with no end in sight. I wish I had started ABX sooner.

Any encouragement is welcome. Thanks for listening.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on tabers' side.

It is horrific to expect that this is something that will plague you for the rest of your life.

My wife and 3 yr old daughter are currently on ABX. My daughter is well and is expected to get off meds next month. My wife is still getting there.

It's depressing if what Greatcod says is true - are they sentenced to a life of remittances and relapses?

I understand that BB morphs its protein coat or whatever. But what about the fact that BB cysts lose viability the longer they are dormant (I've read this in literature).

Also, I know a guy who had a bad case of Lyme about a decade ago. He got better with ABX and has not relapsed since then. Are we to assume that the BB are waiting to pounce out of hiding back into his blood stream? Even after 10 years?

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

I just don't see how it could be incurable in all cases

where it's disseminated. Bacteria are quite different from the viruses

most frequently cited as examples of ineradicable pathogens.

I mean, assuming one were to use abx to get to the point of

being

completely asymptomatic and subsequently initiate long-

term maintainance therapies (I mean intensive--getting as

healthy as you possibly can), wouldn't this, time, and the

immune

system eventually clear the infection.? A keet can't live

forever, after all...

Well, I guess we just have to wait for some better research to be

done.

(Just for the record, my LLMD claims to have seen patients who

caught it within the first two years cured.)

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really hard to say. It seems that we all have different ways of responding.

The idea of the original post is that exercise can cure people is due to a rise in body temperature (or so I thought I read in 1 article).

I'm sure there are other benefits (more O2 in the body, getting the lymph circulating, endorphins, etc.).

I haven't been able to do a good work out in many years.

I really missed it for a while.

I just try to do what I can but it's very easy for me to really throw my back out & be in searing pain for weeks just doing a light stretch.

I've started using a rebounder but I'm going slow.

I've also been using a wonderful sauna.

I think I found my limit & I think the heat has really made me get worse - which may actually mean it's killing spirochetes.

I'm going to take it easy & look for ways to soak up the toxins.

I thought I was herxing from the abx but I think it was really the sauna!

The sauna I go to is a special Korean sauna & some are very hot.

They have about 5 or 6 different varieties of sauna.

I guess the key is moderation & knowing when to quit.

I'm sure many of us are really sick of being ill & want to progress faster - but we just have to proceed with caution.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Greatcod:
I know a woman who has been housebound, and often bedbound, with Lyme for a decade. She is on Fytenal patches for the horrible pain she is in. She has had a great deal of IV ABX treatment without significant improvement. She is 60 years old.
Do you want to tell her that her problem is that she doesn't do stenght training and aerobic exercise, and has a negative attitude?
I never said don't exercise-- that's stupid--I would suggest that if you run a couple a miles a day that you don't try a marathon with no sleep the night before just to see if you could do it.
There are a zillion factors that go into an individual's experience with TBD...people who think they have all the answers are delusional.
People who condemn Lymies who are still sick are in fact sadistic.

No one in this thread was condeming anyone who is still sick with lyme.

Tabers is simply giving a positive and encouraging post about how she got well.
When I come here I want to read encouragment and how people got well.
I've been here for a few months and actually find Tabers one of the most logical people here.

My best friends Mom was dx with colon, kidney and liver cancer. She was given 3 months to live. She is 75 yrs old. Notices I said IS and not WAS 75 yrs old. This woman has the greatest attitude I've ever seen.

She went through the surgeries, the chemo and radiation and over 2 yrs later. She's still alive. All the cancer is gone expect for in her liver. She's still on the healing path, but never stopped working, playing bingo (she just won 40 grand) and going out daily with her friends.
Her attitute is what's helped keep her alive along with medical intervention.

But ask ANY Oncologist and they will tell you the majority of their cancer patients that surive are the ones with the best attitudes.
It's simple, mind over matter. If anyone has studied deep meditation, you would know that we can make our bodies do anything our minds want.

As for why a 3 yr old would die from Malaria, well now we're comparing apples with oranges.
First off, that child prob had no medicine and secondly, the child was probably malnourished to the point of no return.
And third, a 3 yr old does not have the mental capacity to process info on how to be positive or not.

Lyme is not a science and we're all guinea pigs whether we like it or not. And all we can state is what helped each one of us.
For me, when I changed my diet and stopped eating like cr*p, worked out, lost weight and was happy in my life, I was ok for a long while.
Is that the cure, obviously not since I relapsed, but like my LLMD said, doing those things for myself is probably what kept the lyme in check and prob is what kept me out of being worse and bedridden.

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend knows someone who said she regained her health with Pilates. I don't know.

Breath/oxygen is powerful.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walmart has a mini trampoline (rebounder) in their ad this week for $19.00. I think I paid $10 more for the exact same rebounder at Dick's a couple years ago.

FYI. $19.00 is pretty cheap for some light rebounding and detoxing lymph nodes. Light rebounding, barely taking feet off the mat will stimualte your immune system, so my massagists that cost a lot told me when I bought it.

She tells me 5 minutes 3X a day. I could work up to more minutes???? It's the old.....I must start it to do it. No pain, no gain. My knees aren't happy when I do it. They aren't happy every day without it???

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I bought a rebounder a few days ago ... my lymph nodes have been sore ever since ... I musta needed it! Even though I've been doing 30 minutes at a time on the elliptical, then lift weights after that, my lymph nodes are sore after about 25 jumps.

--------------------

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could get a square rebounder. My knees might tolerate that, because I tried one once, and there is less torque on the knees/hips.

Does anyone know where I could get a square one inexpensively?

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!

Yes,
Burrascano does mention that exercise has worked for some individuals...OMG...even without abx...

I was also very athletic in my lifestyle prior to ACTIVE LYME INFECTION. I probably kept it in remission most of my boyhood and adult life...

(again my use of capitals is only for ephasis, not shouting)

I was relatively healthy most of my life....waxing and waning all along from approx age 4 in 1954,

when I believe I actually had my first REAL manifestation of active infection of lyme or TBD's.

GEE....it coulda been my negative attitude back then....

I don't know, did'nt think about it much back then....

one way or the other....did'nt know it existed...

nor did I know what the heck I had either....

for OH....

ALL MY LIFE!

That's right folks....it can and does go into remission....

Sometimes it's even "CURED"( if the ducks leave you alone initially and don't ever misdiagnose you!...Gee...but...

that never happens folks....

Now does it!???}.....

but I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY (even with Dr. B's remarks, I have also read in his 2005 copy,

but strangely NOT in the ILADS copy of November 2002)

if it is ever truly, completely erradicated from our systems.

Not only that, due to the HIGH incidences of infection or RE-INFECTIONS because we are out running around in nature,

who's to say if it's an OLD returning variation or a brand new infestation....

NO doctor or scientist alive today from anywhere would be able to tell you which is which.

Not until we get some money for better research, training, awareness etc.

I know for a fact that because of the lack of above mentioned knowledge of this disease.

When my initial infection either came out of retirement....

Or, I was reinfected to add to the stuff my immune system put into remission with doctor

administered IM shots of penicillin till I could walk again, waaayyyy back in 1954,

Or, because I trusted the, mainstream medical ducks and took their anti-inflam/immuno-suppressant,

drugs and those, ALONE, made me, exactly, what they said they will do...made me IMMUNO-DEFICIENT....

let's hear it for "Stephen Johnsons Syndrome".....or whatever else the,

"BIG PHARMA" boys have'nt figured out what blocking some of the more efficient bodily

functions and reactions and healing processes will do, will also CAUSE as yet UNKNOWN

physiological and psychological manifestations....

Or maybe as I've seen here lately.....

I just did'nt "PRAY" enough is the reason my infection remains ACTIVE...

even after I've been treating it for years now...
SO HOW COME FOLKS?

I was Positive IGG/5 out of ten bands and a very high urine count in 98,positive IGM in 99 two

out of three bands, positive again PCR in 2002, gee even positive IGM AND IGG IN 2003. Different

tests,doctors,labs etc...but only me and my disease were the same.

YEAH....boys and girls, don't that make me HAPPY! TABERS, eh, what's that you say?

"JUST WHAT I ALWAYS WANTED"....to stay sick!

Why don't you go somewhere and happen!

Or you may be like some of the OTHER folks I've had the displeasure of seeing here again.

The ones that have been "relatively cured" but have had relapses.

Ya want to explain that?
No?,
People around here are'nt, "NEGATIVE", people "who just want to stay sick"....

WE'RE....R E A L I S T S !!!

We know there's a whole lot more to this illness then meets a one or two year lymie's definitions.

A whole lot of you missed Burrascano's warnings of NOT doing aerobics as well.

Just happened to notice.

Even if I were young enough to do them....

Regardless...I'm extremely honestly glad some folks get well.....

most of them, have the dignity to stay off of here and not come back and make uneccesary remarks.

Peace and Love to you all....

zman

[ 13. February 2008, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: lymie tony z ]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

The real negativty here is from Dr. B who "has seen REMISSION without ABX"-- thread title.
The SOB is condemning many people to a life of fear and doubt. As we know, a doctor with a positive attitude would have said CURED.
Attitude is everything, science is negative thinking.
His negativity is appalling, is it not?

Peacesoul
Unregistered

Zman, just your attack is the negativity I think Tabers is ref. to.
I'm on two other lyme sites and NEVER would anyone talk to another member the way you just did.
To claim someone was not really that sick when you don't even know them?!
You sir, are unkind!

Tabers, don't leave this site. I love reading about your recovery and hearing your insight. It makes me (and I am sure many others)feel hopeful.
Don't let one bad apple spoil the mix babe :-)

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear Tabers,

You are accediting me with things I would never in a million years write here or anywhere else.

I really don't care what you do with your free time.
This must be some "extra credit" your Yaley Profs are giving out....

Because the Congress and House are back in session....gee, keep them busy over there so

they don't have time to email or phone their representatives!

Go over to lymenet and harass the sick people and you'll get at least a passing grade in your biology class!

If you can get one of them angry at you by using misquotes...do that too..."they all have

that mental problem ya know and so you can use it against them and make them even sicker!

Talk about sick people!

HAHAHA!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

At the end of the second year of "Chronic Fatigue", I couldn't even carry on my 20 hour a week part time job, I was so exhausted.
I just rested for a month, and achieved substantial improvement, and returned to working 40 hours and more a week. No ABX treatment whatsoever was involved.

At the end of my fourth year, after a weekend of simply doing too much physically and not sleeping enough (I had been exercising--one of the factors being that I rode my bike too far and became exhausted) I began a decline that left me pretty much housebound six months later.

The most negative and hurtful thing I have ever read on this board is that very sick people are in that position because they have bad attitudes
and don't exercise. Savage, actually, but that's Lymenet.

shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first got sick in 2001, living in a very Lyme-toxic area. I relapsed in 2004, when I had eliminated virtually every possible source of re-infection, so I know it was a true relapse.

This past fall, I had begun to get ill again. I had tried to just live with it, but the fatigue, pain, and achiness were always with me. I was too ill to keep up with even my usual part-time schedule as a gymnastics/dance instructor. In December, I started to think I might need to go back on antibiotics. My daily headaches from the last flare were starting to come back.

Just one week ago, I woke up feeling remarkably better. Stomach stuff gone. Headache gone. Arthritis mostly gone. I felt good enough to add a mini exercise workout, begin to get back in shape, and begin a diet. I have lost 5 pounds this week -- the diet wasn't severe, and I was only 20 pounds (now 15) overweight.

2001, 2004, and 2007 -- perhaps I will relapse again in 3 years. Ask me in 2010!

I will say that there is a time to treat -- the first time ill, when symptoms are too severe to endure, or when they threaten to leave you with permanent damage if untreated.

Stress? Hmm, I survived the stress of a major car accident (2006) without relapsing, and flared this last time with no more than the stress that is my life anyway. Exercise? I recommend it as soon as you can move, but I know that when I was sick that adding exercise made me feel miserable. Mild exercise now makes me feel great! You just have to gauge what you can take.

However, like Dr. B says, I like exercising to raise body temp, but I have scheduled exta time to rest or nap as needed.

This is only my experience, but I hope it adds to the body of anecdotes that contribute to helping people find wellness.

-- Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tabers, congrats for `keeping your cool' on this thread.

I've been here for a couple of years, and the only posts I've seen where an Old Timer told a Newbie that they probably wouldn't get well was when ALTERNATIVE treatments were being discussed.

But then, I can't read every thread, so probably just missed it.

Of course, to someone who can't go the `drug' route, suggesting that they can't get well can be devastating to them. Especially when there are so many stories out there of people who did NOT get well with abx, but went on to get well with some other treatments. Of course, those people don't post much here because of the negative response alternative discussions usually generate.

It's sad - and somewhat mysterious - that some people really don't want to hear that recovery is possible without abx. But the evidence is out there - just not much of it here on LymeNet.
[shake]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Dr B's say's nothing whatsoever about alternative treatments like Chinese herbs or homepathic medicnes. Nothing. He in no way is saying that alternative treaments work, unless
exercise is now an alternative treatment.
There is no mention of alternative treatments, and those who read what he said as supporting alternative treatments are misreading his statement, and using it as supportive of alternative treatments instead of ABX id distorting his position.

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Author Topic: Dr Burrascano's exercise recommendations
cave76
Frequent Contributor
Member # 835

posted 21 October, 2007 12:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Despite Lyme treatments, you will not return to normal unless you exercise!

Those with outstanding Lyme end up in poor physical comdition. In late stage disease, many degative effects to the body are occurring:the muscles are shrinking, weakening, and are being replaced by scar tissue and fat.

To some degree, the heart muscle also suffers. The lungs, ribs, and muscles of respiration are also affected, as are joints, nerves, liver,etc.

Besides these physical effects, chemical changes occur. The percent fat content of the body as a whole rises, the cholesterol rises, and the balance between the "good" and "bad" cholesterols (HDL and LDL, respectively) becomes less favorable. Also, in at least 80% of the patients, significant weight gain occurs.

To make matters worse, because of extreme fatigue and body pain, many Lyme sufferers end up spending inordinate amounts of time in bed, and get far less exercise than they had before they became ill.

As a result of all this, Lyme patients are stiff, weak, tired, have poor stamina, and are at increased risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Therefore, a vital part of any plan for recovery must include various forms of physical therapy, the extent of which depends on an individual patient's condition, followed by an exercise program.

The physical therapy should involve massage, heat packs and pads, and simple range of motion exercises to relieve discomfort, promote better sleep and flexibility.

This then evolves into an exercise program that starts with stretching and mild muscular strengthening, to lessen joint pain and increase mobility and stamina.

Finally, the program must include a specific program of no-aerobic conditioning to reverse the negative effects on the heart, lungs, and circulation, and to help with correting the chemical imbalances described above.

Diet also plays an important role. This is the time for the very best of health habits. I recommend light, low fat food, with high quality nutritional value, absolute abstention from alcohol, elimination of caffeine, a decrease in sugar and starch intake, and if applicable, a serious committent to weight loss. Smoking is completely out!!!

Professional guidance will be needed, from therapists of various types and from dietary counselors. Written orders for therapy may be obtained from my office in order to initiate the program.

It is indeed a difficult task to regain your health after a serious bout with Lyme Disease. By following this advice, your physical and emotional well being will dramatically improve. After what you've been through, you deserve nothing less.

EXERCISE AS A FORM OF THERAPY FOR LYME DISEASE

I encourage all Lyme patients to go through a formal rehabilitation program. Generally, this involves progressing from simple physical therapy modalities, then to stetching and mobility training, and finally to formal strengthening exercices supervised either by the physical therapist, or by a qualified, credentialed exercise coach.

A surprising thing happened which none of us expected-when Lyme patients went further with their rehab, to include a whole-body conditioning program, the lyme seemed to go away!

I have seen this occur repeatedly, including in some patients who did not even go on antiobiotics!

Although the scientific basis for this is not known, there are several reasonable theories. It is known that the Lyme spirochete,Borrelia burgdorferi, will die if exposed to all but the tiniest oxygen concentrations. If an aggressive exercise program can increase tissue perfusion and oxygen levels, then this may play a role in what is being seen.

Also, during aggressive exercise, the core body temperature can rise above 102 degrees; it is known that B. burgdorferi is very heat sensitive. Perhaps it is the added tissue oxygenation, or higher body temperature, or the combination, that weakens the Lyme Borrelia, and allows the antibiotics and our defenses to be more effective.

In addition, there is now evidence that a carefully structured exercise program may benefit T-cell function in the immune system, an obvious potential benefit in an illness like Lyme that is known to weaken immune resonses.

As you progress through rehab, you must make it your goal to participate in a one hour
aggressive exercise class every other day(at least three times per week). BUT- you must be patient! It takes at least six weeks of regular physical therapy to be able to join a light conditioning and stretching program, and six more weeks are usually needed before heavier exercises can begin.

Finally, only after several weeks of this level of physical training will you be able to say that you have made a major dent in your illness. Please note that the program consists of condititioning and strengthening, and not aerobics.

Because high body temperatures may play a role in this phenomenon, I advise against using swimming as the choosen exercise.

A few final few words of caution: do not jump into an aggressive program until you are ready for it and your physical therapist agrees. Do not try any aerobics until you are ready for it and your physical therapist agrees. Do not try any aerobics until your Lyme is no longer active, and your physician okays it.

You may need a cardiac stress test first to ensure safety. And finally, please join a program run by a trained professional with proper credentials.

Best wishes working out your Lyme!

Physical therapy (if needed):

1. Relieve pain and muscle spasms utilizing multiple modalities as available and as indicated: massage, heat, ultrasound,TENS, "micro amp", etc

2. Increase mobility while protecting damaged and weakened joints, tendons, and ligaments, to increase range of motion and relieve stiffness.

3. The role of physical therapy is to prepare for the required, preferably gymbased, exercise program outlined below.
EXERCISE Begin with a private trainer for careful direction and education.

PATIENT EDUCATION AND MANAGEMENT (to be done during the initial one-on-one sessions and reinforced at all visits thereafter):

1. Instruct patients on correct exercise technique, including warm-up, breathing, joint protection, proper body positioning during the exercise, and how to cool-down and stretch afterwards.

2. Please work one muscle group at a time and perform extensive and extended stretching to each muscle group immediately after each one is exercised, before moving onto the next muscle group.

3. A careful interview should be performed at the start of each session to make apparent effects, both good and bad, from the prior visit's therapy, and adjust therapy accordingly.

PROGRAM

1. Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed, not even low impact variety, until your stamina improves.

2. Conditioning: Follow a "Body Sculpting" program-This consists of light calisthenics and weight lifting, using very low resistance(small weights) and many repetitions., and must involve the whole-body. This can be accomplished in exercise classes, with exercise machines, or carefully with free weights.

3. Each session should last one hour. If the patient is unable to continue for the whole hour, then modify the program to decrease the intensity to allow him/her to do so.

4. Exercise no more than every other day. You may need to start by exercise every 4th or 5th day initially, and as your abilities improve, work out more often, but NEVER two days in a row. The days you do not exercise should be spent resting.

5. This whole-body program is required to achieve wellness. Simply placing the patient on a treadmill or an exercise bike is not acceptable (except briefly as a warm-up), nor is a simple walking program.

The End

http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.htm#rehab

--------------------
cave76
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres caveys thread

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059699

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DIAGNOSTIC HINTS AND TREATMENT GUIDELINES
FOR LYME AND OTHER TICK BORNE ILLNESSES
J***** J. B********* JR., M.D.
Fourteenth Edition
November, 2002

Copyright, November, 2002

TABLE OF CONTENTS

INTRODUCTION

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

SPIROCHETE LOAD AND IMMUNE SUPPRESSION IN LYME DISEASE
CO-INFECTION
COLLATERAL CONDITIONS
LYME BORRELIOSIS

DIAGNOSTIC HINTS
ERYTHEMA MIGRANS
DIAGNOSING LATER DISEASE
DIAGNOSTIC CHECKLIST
SYMPTOM CHECKLIST

LYME DISEASE TREATMENT GUIDELINES

LYME BORRELIOSIS

GENERAL INFORMATION
TREATMENT RESISTANCE
COURSE DURING THERAPY
BORRELIA NEUROTOXIN

LYME DISEASE TREATMENT INFORMATION

ANTIBIOTICS
COMBINATION THERAPY
PULSE THERAPY
MONITORING THERAPY
INDICATORS FOR PARENTERAL THERAPY
ANTIBIOTIC CHOICES

ORAL THERAPY
PARENTERAL THERAPY
TREATMENT CATEGORIES

PROPHYLAXIS
TICK BITES
EARLY LOCALIZED
DISSEMINATED DISEASE
EARLY DISSEMINATED
PARENTERAL ALTERNATIVES
LATE DISSEMINATED
CHRONIC LYME DISEASE

SAFETY
CO-INFECTIONS IN LYME

PIROPLASMOSIS (Babesiosis)

GENERAL INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
DIAGNOSTIC TESTS
TREATMENT
EHRLICHIOSIS

GENERAL INFORMATION
DIAGNOSTIC TESTING
TREATMENT
BARTONELLA

NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS IN DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE

BASIC DAILY REGIMEN
OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
LYME DISEASE REHABILITATION

LYME REHAB -- PHYSICAL THERAPY PRESCRIPTION

MANAGING YEAST OVERGROWTH

YEAST CONTROL DIET

PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS ON BITE PREVENTION AND TICK REMOVAL

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM TICK BITES
HOW TO REMOVE AN ATTACHED TICK
APPENDIX

RATIONALE FOR TREATING TICK BITES
INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the fourteenth edition of the "Guidelines." With the passage of time, our understanding of tick-borne illness has grown, so new information is presented to help us further refine our management techniques.

``Lyme Disease'' is not simply an infection with Borrelia burgdorferi, but a complex illness potentially complicated by multiple tick-borne co-infections. In later stages, it also includes a very significant degree of immune suppression. This not only serves to perpetuate the infections, but it is probably responsible for the reactivation of latent infections, such as herpes-type viruses. Many collateral conditions result in those who have been chronically ill so it is not surprising that damage to virtually all bodily systems can result. To fully recover, all of these issues must be addressed in a thorough and systematic manner. No single treatment or medication will result in full recovery of the more ill patient. Only by addressing all these smaller issues and engineering treatments and solutions for all of them will we be able to restore full health to our patients.

Once again, the full spectrum of Lyme Borreliosis will be addressed, from the new bite, through early and late disseminated infections, and certainly to chronic Lyme Disease.

A very important issue is the definition of ``Chronic Lyme Disease.'' Based on my clinical data and the latest published information, I offer the following definition. To be said to have chronic Lyme, these three criteria must be present:

Illness present for at least one year
Have persistent major neurologic involvement (such as encephalitis/encephalopathy, meningitis, etc.) or active arthritic manifestations (active synovitis).
Still have active infection with B. burgdorferi, regardless of prior antibiotic therapy (if any).
It is clear that in the great majority of patients, chronic Lyme is a disease affecting predominantly the nervous system. Thus, careful evaluation often includes neuropsychiatric testing, SPECT and MRI brain scans, CSF analysis when appropriate, regular input from Lyme-aware neurologists and psychiatrists, pain clinics, and occasionally specialists in psychopharmacology.

As an extension of the effect of chronic Lyme Disease on the central nervous system, new information has demonstrated a deleterious effect on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Varying degrees of pituitary insufficiency are being seen in these patients, the correction of which has resulted in restoration of energy, stamina and libido, and resolution of persistent hypotension. Unfortunately, not all specialists recognize pituitary insufficiency, partly because of the difficulty in making the laboratory diagnosis. However, the potential benefits of diagnosing and treating this justify the effort needed for full evaluation.

The concept of a ``therapeutic alliance'' between the caregiver and patient must again be emphasized. This means that the patient has to work with and become part of the medical team, and must take responsibility for complying with the recommendations given, maintaining the best possible health status, reporting promptly any problems or new symptoms, and especially in realizing that despite all our best efforts, success in diagnosis and treatment is never assured. The medical team must make great efforts to listen carefully to the patient and not be too quick to dismiss seemingly bizarre or illogical complaints.

I once again extend my best wishes to the many patients and caregivers who deal with Lyme, and a sincere thank you to my colleagues whose endless contributions have helped me shape my approach to tick borne illnesses. I hope that my new edition proves to be useful. Happy reading!

Return to top

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

SPIROCHETE LOAD AND IMMUNE SUPPRESSION IN LYME DISEASE

The spirochete load has a direct bearing on the severity of Lyme presentation. Low spirochete loads result in mild or even inapparent infections that can be missed and remain present for years. As spirochete load increases, especially from subsequent tick bites, the morbidity of Lyme increases. Symptoms become apparent and more debilitating the larger the load, and testing for Lyme can become more accurate. Studies have shown that higher loads also begin to clinically impact the immune system, with invasion and killing of B- and T-lymphocytes, including Natural Killer Cells, and inhibition of lymphocyte transformation and mitogenesis. A corollary to the issue of spirochete load is the delicate balance between defense efficacy vs. pathogen strength. In other words, more severe illness also results from weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

The longer one is ill with Lyme, the more likely the illness will be more severe and treatment resistant. The same studies that demonstrated lymphocyte inhibition and lysis from high spirochete loads also demonstrated increased negative effects on the immune system the longer the spirochetes were present. We have seen this clinically, with the ultimate result being full blown Chronic Lyme Disease.

Return to top

CO-INFECTION

A huge body of research and clinical experience has demonstrated the nearly universal phenomenon in Lyme patients of co-infection with multiple tick-borne pathogens. Significant numbers of Lyme patients have been shown to also carry Babesia species, Ehrlichias, Anaplasmas, Mycoplasmas, Bartonellas and viruses. Rarely, yeast forms have been seen in peripheral blood. Studies have shown that co-infection results in a more severe clinical presentation, with more organ damage, and the pathogens become more difficult to eradicate. It is known that Babesia infection, like Lyme Borreliosis, is immunosuppressive. There are changes in the clinical presentation compared to when each infection is present individually, with different symptoms, and atypical signs. There may be decreased reliability of standard diagnostic tests, and most importantly, there is recognition that chronic, persistent forms of each of these infections do indeed exist. As time goes by, I am convinced that even more pathogens will be found.

Therefore, real, clinical Lyme as we have come to know it, especially the later and more severe presentations, probably represents a mixed infection. I will leave to the reader the implications of how this may explain the discrepancy between laboratory study of pure Borrelia infections, and what front-line physicians have been seeing for years in real patients.

The evaluation of a Lyme patient must begin with testing for all currently known tick borne pathogens. Serological studies for Borrelia, Babesia Bartonella and Ehrlichia should be combined where appropriate with direct antigen assays. Antigen detection tests (antigen capture and PCR) are especially helpful in evaluating the seronegative patient and those still ill or relapsing after therapy. Unfortunately, over a dozen protozoans other than Babesia microti can be found in ticks, yet commercial tests for only B. microti and WA-1 are available at this time, so as in Borrelia, clinical assessment is the primary diagnostic tool. In Ehrlichiosis, test for both the monocytic and granulocytic forms. Many presently uncharacterized Ehrlichia-like organisms can be found in ticks and may not be picked up by currently available assays, so in this illness too, serologies are only an adjunct in making the diagnosis.

Babesia are parasites, and I suggest that if a coinfection is found involving this organism, treat this first, so that subsequent therapy for the other pathogens will be more effective.

Return to top

COLLATERAL CONDITIONS

Experience has shown that collateral conditions exist in those who have been ill a long time. The evaluation should include testing both for differential diagnosis and for uncovering other subtle abnormalities that may coexist.

Test B12 levels, and be prepared to aggressively treat with parenteral formulations.

Pituitary and other endocrine abnormalities are far more common than generally realized. Evaluate fully, including growth hormone levels. When testing the thyroid, measure free T3 and free T4 levels and TSH. Nuclear scanning and testing for autoantibodies may be necessary.

Activation of the inflammatory cascade has been implicated in blockade of cellular hormone receptors. One example of this is insulin resistance, which may partly account for the dyslipidemia and weight gain that is noted in 80% of chronic Lyme patients. Clinical hypothyroidism can result from receptor blockade and thus hypothyroidism can exist despite normal serum hormone levels. In addition to measuring free T3 and T4 levels, check basal A.M. body temperatures. If hypothyroidism is found, you may need to treat with both T3 and T4 preparations until blood levels of both are normalized.

Tilt table testing is another powerful tool which, just as in CFIDS, may demonstrate neurally mediated hypotension (NMH). NMH can result from autonomic neuropathy and endocrine dyscrasias. If NMH is present, treatment can dramatically lessen fatigue, palpitations and wooziness, and increase stamina. This test should be done by a cardiologist and include Isuprel challenge. This will demonstrate not only if NMH is present, but also the relative contributions of hypovolemia and sympathetic dysfunction. Therapy is based on blood volume expansion (increased sodium and fluid intake and possibly Florinef plus potassium). If not sufficient, beta blockade may be added based on response to the Isuprel challenge.

Magnesium deficiency is very often present and quite severe. Hyperreflexia, muscle twitches, myocardial irritability, poor stamina and recurrent tight muscle spasms are clues to this deficiency. Magnesium is predominantly an intracellular ion, so blood level testing is of little value. Oral preparations are acceptable for maintenance, but most need additional, parenteral dosing: 1 gram IV or IM at least once a week until neuromuscular irritability has cleared.

SPECT scanning of the brain, if done by knowledgeable radiologists using high resolution equipment, will show characteristic abnormalities in Lyme encephalopathy. What these scans demonstrate is cerebral vasculitis, which is the underlying mechanism for much of the symptoms of Lyme. This not only helps with the differential diagnosis, but if done before and after acetazolamide, it will guide in the use of vasodilators, which may clear some cognitive symptoms. Therapy can include acetazolamide, serotonin agonists and even Ginkgo biloba. Therapeutic trials of these may be needed.

Two different researchers have provided evidence that B. burgdorferi, like many other pathogenic bacteria, can produce neurotoxins. Early clinical trials aimed at removing these toxins have proven quite promising. I will discuss this in more detail in a later section.

Return to top

LYME BORRELIOSIS

DIAGNOSTIC HINTS

Lyme is diagnosed clinically, as no currently available test, no matter the source or type, is definitive in ruling in or ruling out infection with these pathogens, or whether these infections are responsible for the patient's symptoms. The entire clinical picture must be taken into account, including a search for concurrent conditions and alternate diagnoses, and other reasons for some of the presenting complaints. Often, much of the diagnostic process in late, disseminated Lyme involves ruling out other illnesses and defining the extent of damage that might require separate evaluation and treatment.

Consideration should be given to tick exposure, rashes (even atypical ones), evolution of typical symptoms in a previously asymptomatic individual, and results of tests for tick-borne pathogens. Another very important factor is response to treatment -- presence or absence of Jarisch Herxheimer-like reactions, the classic four-week cycle of waxing and waning of symptoms, and improvement with therapy.

Return to top

ERYTHEMA MIGRANS

Erythema migrans (EM) is diagnostic of Bb infection, but is present in fewer than half. Even if present, it may go unnoticed by the patient. It is an erythematous, centrifugally expanding lesion that is raised and warm. Sometimes there is mild stinging or pruritus. The EM rash will begin four days to several weeks after the bite, and may be associated with constitutional symptoms. Multiple lesions are present less than 10% of the time, but do represent disseminated disease. Some lesions have an atypical appearance and skin biopsy specimens may be helpful. When an ulcerated or vesicular center is seen, this may represent a mixed infection, involving other organisms besides B. burgdorferi.

After a tick bite, serologic tests (ELISA. IFA, western blots, etc.) are not expected to become positive until several weeks have passed. Therefore, if EM is present, treatment must begin immediately, and one should not wait for results of Borrelia tests. You should not miss the chance to treat early disease, for this is when the success rate is the highest. Indeed, many knowledgeable clinicians will not even order a Borrelia test in this circumstance.

Return to top

DIAGNOSING LATER DISEASE

When reactive, serologies indicate exposure only and do not directly indicate whether the spirochete is now currently present. Because Bb serologies often give inconsistent results, test at more than one laboratory using, if possible, different methods. The suggestion that two-tiered testing, utilizing an ELISA as a screening tool, followed, if positive, by a confirmatory western blot, is illogical in this illness. The ELISA is not sensitive enough to serve as an adequate screen, and there are many patients with Lyme who test negative by ELISA yet have fully diagnostic western blots. I therefore recommend against using the ELISA. Order IgM and IgG western blots -- but be aware that in late disease there may be repeatedly peaking IgM's and therefore a reactive IgM may not differentiate early from late disease, but it does suggest an active infection. When late cases of LB are seronegative, 36% will transiently become seropositive at the completion of successful therapy.

Western blots are reported by showing which bands are reactive. 41KD bands appear the earliest but can cross react with other spirochetes. The 18KD, 23-25KD (Osp C), 31KD (Osp A), 34KD (Osp B), 37KD, 39KD, 83KD and the 93KD bands are the most specific but appear later or may not appear at all. You need to see at least the 41KD and one of the specific bands. 55KD, 60KD, 66KD, and 73KD are nonspecific and nondiagnostic.

PCR tests are now available, and although they are very specific, sensitivity remains poor, possibly less than 30%. This is because Bb causes a deep tissue infection and is only transiently found in body humors. Therefore, just as in routine blood culturing, multiple specimens must be collected to increase yield; a negative result does not rule out infection, but a positive one is significant. You can test whole blood, buffy coat, serum, urine, spinal and other body fluids, and tissue biopsies. Several blood PCRs can be done, or you can run PCRs on whole blood, serum and urine simultaneously at a time of active symptoms. The patient should be antibiotic free for at least six weeks before testing to obtain the highest yield.

Antigen capture is becoming more widely available, and can be done on urine, CSF, and synovial fluid.

Sensitivity is still low, but specificity is high.

Spinal taps are not routinely recommended, as a negative tap does not rule out Lyme. Antibodies to Bb most commonly are found in Lyme meningitis, but are rarely seen in non-meningitic CNS infection, including even advanced encephalopathy. Even in meningitis, antibodies are detected in the CSF in less than 20% of patients with late disease. Therefore, spinal taps are only performed on patients with pronounced neurological manifestations in whom the diagnosis is uncertain, if they are seronegative, or are still significantly symptomatic after completion of treatment. When done, the goal is to rule out other conditions, and to determine if Bb antigens or nucleic acids are present. It is especially important to look for elevated protein and mononuclear cells, which would dictate the need for more aggressive therapy, as well as the opening pressure, which can be elevated and add to headaches, especially in children.

I strongly urge you to biopsy all unexplained skin lesions/rashes and perform PCR and careful histology. You will need to alert the pathologist to look for spirochetes.

Return to top

DIAGNOSTIC CHECKLIST

To aid the clinician, a workable set of diagnostic criteria was developed with the input of dozens of front line physicians. The resultant document has proven to be extremely useful not only to the clinician, but it also can help clarify the diagnosis for third party payers and utilization review committees. It is important to note that the CDC's published reporting criteria are for surveillance only, not for diagnosis.

LYME BORRELIOSIS DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA RELATIVE VALUE
Tick exposure in an endemic region 2
Historical facts and evolution of symptoms consistent with Lyme
Systemic signs & symptoms consistent with Bb infection (other potential diagnoses excluded):
Single system, e.g., monoarthritis 1
Two or more systems, e.g., monoarthritis and facial palsy 2
Erythema migrans, physician confirmed 7
Acrodermatitis Chronica Atrophicans, biopsy confirmed 7
Seropositivity 3
Seroconversion on paired sera 4
Tissue microscopy, silver stain 3
Tissue microscopy, monoclonal immunofluorescence 4
Culture positivity 4
B. burgdorferi antigen recovery 4
B. burgdorferi DNA/RNA recovery 4

DIAGNOSIS

Lyme Borreliosis Highly Likely 7 or above
Lyme Borreliosis Possible 5-6
Lyme Borreliosis Unlikely 4 or below

I suggest that when using these criteria, you state Lyme Borreliosis is ``unlikely,'' ``possible,'' or ``highly likely'' based upon the following criteria--then list the criteria.

Return to top

SYMPTOM CHECKLIST

This is not meant to be used as a diagnostic scheme, but is provided to streamline the office interview. Note the format -- complaints referable to specific organ systems are clustered to better display multisystem involvement.

NAME_______________________________________DATE__________________

RISK PROFILE (PLEASE CHECK)

Tick infested area ___ Frequent outdoor activities ___ Hiking ___ Fishing ___ Camping ___ Gardening ___
Hunting ___ Ticks noted on pets ___ Other household members with Lyme ___
Do you remember being bitten by a tick? No ___ Yes ___ when ________
Do you remember having the ``bull's eye rash?'' No ___ Yes ___
Any other rash? No ___ Yes ___

Have you had any of the following? CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
Unexplained weight change (loss or gain -- circle one)
Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
Unexplained hair loss
Swollen glands: list areas _______________________________________________
Sore throat
Testicular pain/pelvic pain
Unexplained menstrual irregularity
Unexplained milk production; breast pain
Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
Upset stomach or abdominal pain
Change in bowel function (constipation, diarrhea)
Chest pain or rib soreness
Shortness of breath, cough
Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
Joint pain or swelling: list joints _________________________________________________
Stiffness of the joints or back
Muscle pain or cramps
Twitching of the face or other muscles
Headache
Neck creaks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains, skin hypersensitivity
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
Increased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
Lightheadedness, wooziness, unavoidable need to sit or lie down
Tremor
Confusion, difficulty in thinking
Difficulty with concentration, reading
Forgetfulness, poor short term memory, poor attention, problem absorbing new information
Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
Difficulty with speech or writing; word or name block
Mood swings, irritability, depression
Disturbed sleep -- too much, too little, fractionated, early awakening
Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol
Return to top

LYME DISEASE TREATMENT GUIDELINES

LYME BORRELIOSIS

GENERAL INFORMATION

After a tick bite, Bb undergoes rapid hematogenous dissemination, and, for example, can be found within the central nervous system as soon as twelve hours after entering the bloodstream. This is why even early infections require full dose antibiotic therapy with an agent able to penetrate all tissues in concentrations known to be bactericidal to the organism.

It has been shown that the longer a patient had been ill with Bb prior to first definitive therapy, the longer the duration of treatment must be, and the need for more aggressive treatment increases.

More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection. Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course. If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

Return to top

TREATMENT RESISTANCE

Bb contains beta lactamases, which, with some strains, may confer resistance to cephalosporins and penicillins. This is apparently a slowly acting enzyme system, and may be overcome by higher or more continuous drug levels especially when maintained by continuous infusions (cefotaxime) and by depot preparations (benzathine penicillin). Nevertheless, some penicillin and cephalosporin treatment failures do occur and have responded to sulbactam/ampicillin, imipenim, and vancomycin, which act through different cell wall mechanisms than penicillin and the cephalosporins.

There is evidence that B. burgdorferi can remain viable within cells, such as macrophages, lymphocytes, endothelial cells, neurons, and fibroblasts. Bb has been shown to evade the effects of beta lactam antibiotics in vitro by sequestering in these intracellular niches. In addition, Bb can coat itself with host cell membranes, and it secretes a glycoprotein that can encapsulate the organism (an ``S-layer''). Because this glycoprotein binds host IgM, it is possible that host protein as well as cell membrane hide Borrelial antigens. In theory at least, these coatings interfere with immune recognition, thus affecting the clearing of Bb, and also cause seronegativity.

There are multiple strains of Borrelia burgdorferi and they vary in their antigen profile and antibiotic susceptibilities. It has also been recognized that B. burgdorferi can exist in at least three different morphologic forms: spirochetal, spheroplast (or l-form), and the recently discovered cystic form.

L-forms and cystic forms do not contain cell walls, and thus beta lactam antibiotics will not affect them. Spheroplasts seem to be susceptible to tetracyclines and some erythromycins, yet the cyst has so far only been proven to be susceptible to metronidazole. Apparently, Bb can shift among the three forms during the course of the infection and cause the varying serologic responses seen over time, including seronegativity. Because of this, it may be necessary to change antibiotic or even prescribe a combination of agents.

Vegetative endocarditis has been associated with Borrelia burgdorferi, but the vegetations may be too small to detect with echocardiography. Keep this in mind when evaluating patients with murmurs, as this may explain why some patients seem to continually relapse after even long courses of antibiotics.

Return to top

COURSE DURING THERAPY

As the spirochete has a very long generation time (12 to 24 hours in vitro and possibly much longer in living systems) and may have periods of dormancy, during which time antibiotics will not kill the organism, treatment has to be continued for a long period of time to eradicate all the active symptoms and prevent a relapse, especially in late infections. If treatment is discontinued before all symptoms of active infection have cleared, the patient will remain ill and possibly relapse further. In general, early disseminated LB is treated for four to six weeks, and late LB usually requires a minimum of four to six months of continuous treatment. All patients respond differently and therapy must be individualized. It is not uncommon for a patient who has been ill for many years to require open ended treatment regimens; indeed, some patients will require ongoing maintenance therapy to remain well.

Several days after the onset of appropriate antibiotic therapy, symptoms often flare due to lysis of the spirochetes with release of increased amount of antigenic material and possibly bacterial toxins. This is referred to as a Jarish Herxheimer-like reaction. Because it takes 48 to 72 hours of therapy to initiate bacterial killing, the Herxheimer reaction is therefore delayed. This is unlike syphilis, in which these reactions can occur within hours.

It has been observed that symptoms will flare in cycles every four weeks. It is thought that this reflects the organism's cell cycle, with the growth phase occurring once per month (intermittent growth is common in Borrelia species). As antibiotics will only kill bacteria during their growth phase, therapy is designed to bracket at least one whole generation cycle. This is why the minimum treatment duration should be at least four weeks. If the antibiotics are working, over time these flares will lessen in severity and duration. The very occurrence of ongoing monthly cycles indicates that living organisms are still present and that antibiotics should be continued.

With treatment, these monthly symptom flares are exaggerated and presumably represent recurrent Herxheimer-like reactions as Bb enters its vulnerable growth phase then are lysed. For unknown reasons, the worst occurs at the fourth week of treatment. Observation suggest that the more severe this reaction, the higher the germ load, and the more ill the patient. In those with long-standing highly symptomatic disease who are on IV therapy, the week-four flare can be very severe, similar to a serum sickness reaction, and be associated with transient leucopenia and/or elevations in liver enzymes. If this happens, decrease the dose temporarily, or interrupt treatment for several days, then resume with a lower dose. If you are able to continue or resume therapy, then patients continue to improve. Those whose treatment is stopped and not restarted at this point usually will need retreatment in the future due to ongoing or recurrent symptoms because the infection was not eradicated. Patients on IV therapy who have a strong reaction at the fourth week will need to continue parenteral antibiotics for several months, for when this monthly reaction finally lessens in severity, then oral or IM medications can be substituted. Indeed, it is just this observation that guides the clinician in determining the endpoint of IV treatment. In general, IV therapy is given until there is a clear positive response, then treatment is changed to IM or po until free of signs of active infection for 4 to 8 weeks. Some patients, however, will not respond to IM or po treatment and IV therapy will have to be used throughout. As mentioned earlier, leucopenia may be a sign of persistent Ehrlichiosis, so be sure to look into this.

Repeated treatment failures should alert the clinician to the possibility of an otherwise inapparent immune deficiency, and a workup for this may be advised. Obviously, evaluation for co-infection should be performed, and a search for other or concurrent diagnoses needs to be entertained.

There are three things that will predict treatment failure regardless of which regimen is chosen: Non-compliance, alcohol use on a regular basis, and failure of the patient to obtain proper rest. Advise them to take a break when (or ideally before) the inevitable mid afternoon fatigue sets in.

All patients must keep a carefully detailed daily diary of their symptoms to help us judge the effects of treatment, the presence of the classic four week cycle, and treatment endpoint. One must follow such diaries, temperature readings in late afternoon, physical findings, notes from physical therapists, and cognitive testing to best judge when to change or end antibiotics.

Remember -- there currently is no test for cure, so this clinical follow-up assumes a major role in Lyme Disease care.

Return to top

BORRELIA NEUROTOXIN (With thanks to Dr. Shoemaker)

Two groups have reported evidence that Borrelia, like several other bacteria, produce neurotoxins. These compounds reportedly can cause many of the symptoms of encephalopathy, cause an ongoing inflammatory reaction manifested as some of the virus-like symptoms common in late Lyme, and also potentially interfere with hormone action by blocking hormone receptors. At this time, there is no assay available to detect whether this compound is present, nor can the amount of toxin be quantified. Indirect measures are currently employed, such as measures of cytokine activation and hormone resistance. A visual contrast sensitivity test (VCS test) reportedly is quite useful in documenting CNS effects of the neurotoxin, and to follow effects of treatment. This test is available at some centers and on the internet.

It has been said that the longer one is ill with Lyme, the more neurotoxin is present in the body. It probably is stored in fatty tissues, and once present, persists for a very long time. This may be because of enterohepatic circulation, where the toxin is excreted via the bile into the intestinal tract, but then is reabsorbed from the intestinal tract back into the blood stream. This forms the basis for treatment.

Synthetic fiber agents, available by prescription for the treatment of high cholesterol, have the ability to bind some bacterial toxins. When take orally in generous amounts, the neurotoxin, present in the intestinal tract, binds to the resin, is trapped, and then excreted. Thus, over several weeks, the level of neurotoxin is depleted and clinical improvement can be seen. Current experience is that improvement is first seen in three weeks, and treatment continues for two to four months. Retreatment is always possible.

Two prescription medications that can bind these toxins include cholestyramine resin (Questran), and Welchol pills. These medications may bind not only toxins but also many drugs and vitamin supplements. Therefore no other oral medications or supplements should be taken from one hour before, to three hours after a dose of one of these fiber agents.

Cholestyramine must be taken four times daily, and Welchol is prescribed at three pills twice daily. While the latter is obviously much simpler to use, it is less effective than cholestyramine. The main side effects are bloating and constipation, best handled with increased fluid intake and gentle laxatives.

Return to top

LYME DISEASE TREATMENT INFORMATION

There is no universally effective antibiotic for treating LB. The choice of medication used and the dosage prescribed will vary for different people based on multiple factors. These include duration and severity of illness, presence of co-infections, immune deficiencies, prior significant immunosuppressant use while infected, age, weight, gastrointestinal function, blood levels achieved, and patient tolerance. Doses found to be effective clinically are often higher than those recommended in older texts. This is due to deep tissue penetration by Bb, it's presence in the CNS including the eye, within cells, within tendons, and because very few of the many strains of this organism now known to exist have been studied for antibiotic susceptibility. In addition, all animal studies of susceptibility to date have only addressed early disease in models that behave differently than human hosts. Therefore, begin with a regimen appropriate to the setting, and if necessary, modify it over time based upon response.

Return to top

ANTIBIOTICS

There are several types of antibiotics in general use for Bb treatment. The tetracyclines, including doxycycline and minocycline, are bacteriostatic unless given in high doses. If high blood levels are not attained, treatment failures in early and late disease are common. However, these high doses can be difficult to tolerate. For example, doxycycline can be very effective but only if adequate blood levels are achieved either by high oral doses (300 to 600 mg daily) or by parenteral administration.

Penicillins are bactericidal. As would be expected in managing an infection with a gram negative organism such as Bb, amoxicillin has been shown to be more effective than oral penicillin V. Because of its short half-life and need for high levels, amoxicillin is usually administered along with probenecid. Since blood levels are extremely variable they should be measured.

Cephalosporins must be of advanced generation: first generation drugs are rarely effective, and second generation drugs are comparable to amoxicillin and doxycycline both in-vitro and in-vivo. Third generation agents are currently the most effective of the cephalosporins because of their very low MBC's (0.06 for ceftriaxone) and they have been shown to be effective in penicillin and tetracycline failures. Cefuroxime axetil (Ceftin), a second generation agent, is also effective against staph and thus is useful in treating atypical erythema migrans that may represent a mixed infection, containing some of the more common skin pathogens in addition to Bb.

When choosing a third generation cephalosporin, there are several points to remember: Ceftriaxone has 95% biliary excretion and can crystallize in the biliary tree with resultant colic and possible cholecystitis. GI excretion results in a large impact on gut flora. Biliary and superinfection problems with ceftriaxone can be lessened if this drug is given in interrupted courses, such as three to five days in a row each week. More recently, chenodeoxycholic acid, used to dissolve gallstones, is being prescribed along with ceftriaxone as prophylaxis. Cefotaxime is less convenient to administer because of the need for either multiple daily doses or continuous infusions, but as it has only 5% biliary excretion, it never causes biliary concretions, and may have less impact on gut flora. It is the experience of some clinicians that cefotaxime can be even more efficacious if given as a continuous infusion, rather than in interrupted doses.

Erythromycin has been shown to be almost ineffective as monotherapy. The advanced macrolides and azalides such as azithromycin and clarithromycin can be difficult to tolerate orally due to their tendency to promote yeast overgrowth and poor GI tolerance at the high doses needed. As they have impressively low MBCs and do concentrate in tissues and penetrate cells, they theoretically should be ideal agents. However, initial clinical results were disappointing, especially with oral azithromycin. It has been suggested that when Bb is within a cell, it is held within a vacuole and bathed in fluid of low pH, and this acidity may inactivate this class of antibiotics. Therefore, they are administered concurrently with hydroxychloroquine or amantadine, which raise vacuolar pH, rendering these antibiotics more effective. It is not known whether this same technique will make erythromycin a more effective antibiotic in LB. Another alternative is to administer azithromycin parenterally. Results are excellent, but expect to see abrupt Jarisch-Herxheimer reactions.

Metronidazole (Flagyl) is commonly used in select patients with treatment resistant, chronic Lyme. When present in a hostile environment, such as growth medium lacking some nutrients, or spinal fluid, or serum with certain antibiotics added, Bb will change into a cystic form. This cyst seems to be able to remain dormant, but when placed into an environment more favorable to its growth, the cyst can open, and an intact spirochete emerges. The conventional antibiotics used for Lyme, such as the penicillins, cephalosporins, etc. do not kill the cystic form of Bb. Furthermore, the cyst lacks the usual surface antigens found on the spirochete (these are the markers detected by ELISAs and western blots). This may be another reason for the chronically sick Lyme patient remaining seronegative.

There is evidence that metronidazole will kill the cystic form. This fits with the now well known clinical observations that metronidazole can be remarkably effective for many chronic Lyme patients. However, this medication apparently has no effect on intact spirochetes. Therefore, the trend now is to treat the chronically infected patient who has resistant disease by combining metronidazole with one or two other antibiotics to target all forms of Bb. Because there is laboratory evidence that tetracyclines may inhibit the effect of metronidazole, this class of medication may not be as useful as others in these two- and three-drug regimens. There have been some recent reports that Bb does not contain genes that would confer susceptibility to metronidazole. However, this clearly does not fit with in vitro and a large body of clinical data, which have demonstrated the usefulness of this agent in the Lyme patient. Perhaps we do not have all the genetic information needed to dismiss the use of this agent. Once again, real world experience is one step ahead of bench research.

Important precautions:

Pregnancy while on metronidazole is not advised, as there is a risk of birth defects.
No alcohol consumption! A severe, ``antabuse'' reaction will occur, consisting of severe nausea, flushing, headache, and other unpleasant symptoms.
Metronidazole is potentially neurotoxic. Peripheral neuropathy may result. Therefore, breaks in treatment are commonly prescribed, such as using this agent every other week.
Yeast overgrowth is especially common. A strict anti-yeast regimen must be followed.
VERY severe Herxheimer-like reactions are seen in the more ill patient during the first week of therapy, and again four weeks later.
Return to top

COMBINATION THERAPY

This consists of using two or more dissimilar antibiotics simultaneously. There are several reasons for this. Combinations should utilize dissimilar antibiotics for antibiotic synergism, to better compensate for differing killing profiles and sites of action of the individual medications, and to cover the three known morphologic forms of Bb. The idea is to work in body fluids and in deep tissues, outside and within cells, and effect killing by different mechanisms for synergism. An example is a combination of amoxicillin and clarithromycin. Note how complimentary these two are for treating infection with Bb. GI intolerance and yeast superinfections are the biggest drawbacks to this type of treatment. However, these complications can often be prevented or easily treated, and the clinically observed benefits of this type of regimen clearly have outweighed these problems in selected patients.

Return to top

PULSE THERAPY

This consists of administering antibiotics (usually parenteral ones) two to three days in a row per week. The efficacy of this regimen is based on the fact that it takes 48 to 72 hours of continuous bactericidal antibiotic levels to kill the spirochete, yet it will take longer than the four to five days between pulses for the spirochetes to recover. This allows for several advantages:

Dosages are doubled (ie: cefotaxime, 12 g daily), increasing efficacy
More toxic medications can be used with increased safety (ie: vancomycin)
May be effective when conventional, daily regimens have failed.
IV access may be easier or more tolerable
More agreeable lifestyle for the patient
Often less costly than daily regimens
Note that this type of treatment is expected to continue for a minimum of ten weeks, and often must continue beyond twenty weeks. As with all Lyme treatments, specific dosing and scheduling must be tailored to the individual patient's clinical picture based upon the treating physician's best clinical judgment.

Return to top

MONITORING THERAPY

Drug levels are measured, where possible, to confirm adequate dosing. The regimen may have to be modified to optimize the dose, and again at any time major changes in the treatment regimen occur. With parenteral therapy, CBC and chem/liver panels are done at least twice each month, especially during symptom flares, with urinalysis and protime monitored monthly.

Return to top

INDICATORS FOR PARENTERAL THERAPY

The following are guidelines only and are not meant to be absolute. It is based on retrospective study of over 600 patients with late Lyme disease.

Illness for greater than one year
Prior immunosuppressive therapy
Major neurological involvement
Active synovitis with high sedimentation rate
Elevated protein or cells in the CSF
Return to top

ANTIBIOTIC CHOICES

ORAL THERAPY

Always check blood levels when using agents marked with an *, and adjust dose to achieve a peak level in the mid- teens and a trough greater than five. Because of this, the doses listed below may have to be raised. Consider Doxycycline first due to concern for Ehrlichia.

*Amoxicillin Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams daily are often needed
Pregnancy: 1g q6h and adjust
Children: 50 mg/kg/day divided into q8h doses
*Doxycycline Adults: 100 mg qid with food; doses of up to 600 mg daily are often needed, as doxycycline is only effective at high blood levels.
Not for children or in pregnancy.
If levels are too low at tolerated doses, give parenterally.
*Cefuroxime axetil Oral alternative that may be effective in amoxicillin and doxycycline failures. Useful in EM rashes co-infected with common skin pathogens.
Adults and pregnancy: 1g q12h and adjust.
Children: 125 to 500 mg q12h based on weight.
Tetracycline Adults only, and not in pregnancy. 500 mg tid to qid
Erythromycin Poor response and not recommended.
Clarithromycin Adults: 500 to 1000 mg q12h. Add hydroxychloroquine, 200-400 mg/d or amantadine 100-200 mg/d.
Cannot be used in pregnancy or in younger children
Azithromycin Adults: 500 to 1200 mg/d.
Adolescents: 250 to 500 mg/d.
Add hydroxychloroquine, 200-400 mg/d, or amantadine 100-200 mg/d
Cannot be used in pregnancy.
Oral azithromycin is not as effective as clarithromycin.
Augmentin Cannot exceed three tablets daily due to the clavulanate, thus is given with amoxicillin.
This combination can be effective when Bb beta lactamase is felt to be present.
Chloramphenicol Not recommended as not proven and potentially toxic.
Metronidazole (see text) 500 to 1500 mg daily in divided doses. Adults only.

Return to top

PARENTERAL THERAPY

Ceftriaxone Risk of biliary sludging can be minimized with intermittent breaks in therapy (ie: infuse five or less days in a row per week).
Adults and pregnancy: 2g q12h, four days in a row each week.
Children: 75 mg/kg/day up to 2g/day
Cefotaxime Comparable efficacy to ceftriaxone; no biliary complications.
Adults and pregnancy: 2g q8h; may dose as high as 12g daily. Suggest a continuous infusion.
Children: 90 to 180 mg/kg/day dosed q6h (preferred) or q8h, not to exceed 12 g daily.
*Doxycycline Requires central line as is caustic. Surprisingly effective, probably because higher overall, and spiked blood levels when given parenterally.
Always measure blood levels.
Adults: 400 mg q24h and adjust based on levels.
Cannot be used in pregnancy or in younger children.
Azithromycin Requires central line as is caustic.
Dose: 500 to 1000 mg daily in adolescents and adults.
Penicillin G IV penicillin G is minimally effective and not recommended.
Benzathine penicillin Surprisingly effective IM alternative to oral therapy.
May need to begin at lower doses as strong, prolonged (6 or more week) Herxheimer-like reactions have been observed.
Adults: 1.2 million U three times per week (higher doses with large body habitus)
Adolescents: 300,000 to 2.4 million U weekly.
May be used in pregnancy.
Poorly studied but anecdotally effective
Vancomycin Observed to be one of the best drugs in treating Lyme, but potential toxicity limits its use. It is a perfect candidate for pulse therapy to minimize these concerns.
Use standard doses and confirm levels.
Imipenim and Unisyn Similar in efficacy to cefotaxime, but often works when cephalosporins have failed.
Must be given q6 to q8 hours.
Cefuroxime Useful but not demonstrably better than ceftriaxone or cefotaxime.
Ampicillin IV More effective than penicillin G. Must be given q6 hours.

Return to top

TREATMENT CATEGORIES

PROPHYLAXIS of high risk groups -- education and preventive measures. Antibiotics are not given.

TICK BITES -- Embedded Deer Tick With No Signs or Symptoms of Lyme (see appendix)

Decide to treat based on the type of tick, whether it came from an endemic area and percent infected, how it was removed, and length of attachment (nymphs: at least one day; adults: anecdotally, as little as four hours). The risk of transmission is greater if the tick is engorged, or of it was removed improperly allowing the tick's contents to spill into the bite wound. High risk bites are treated as follows (remember the possibility of coinfection!):

Adults: Oral therapy for 21 days.
Pregnancy: Amoxicillin 1000 mg q6h for 6 weeks. Test for Babesia, Bartonella and Ehrlichia.
Alternative: Cefuroxime axetil 1000 mg q12h for 6 weeks.
Young Children: Oral therapy for 21 days.
Return to top

EARLY LOCALIZED -- Single erythema migrans with no constitutional symptoms:

Adults: oral therapy for 6 weeks.
Pregnancy: 1st and 2nd trimesters: IV X 21 days then oral X 6 weeks
3rd trimester: Oral therapy X 6 weeks.
Any trimester -- test for Babesia, Bartonella, and Ehrlichia
Children: oral therapy for 6 weeks.
Return to top

DISSEMINATED DISEASE -- Multiple lesions, constitutional symptoms, lymphadenopathy, or any other manifestations of dissemination.

EARLY DISSEMINATED -- Milder symptoms present for less than one year and not complicated by immune deficiency or prior immunosuppressive treatment:

Adults: Oral therapy until no active disease for 4 weeks (4-6 months typical)
Pregnancy: As in localized disease, but duration as above. Treat throughout pregnancy, and do not breast feed.
Children: Oral therapy with duration based upon clinical response.
Return to top

PARENTERAL ALTERNATIVES for more ill patients and those unresponsive to or intolerant of oral medications:

Adults and children: IV therapy for at least 6 weeks (until clearly improved).
Follow with oral therapy or IM benzathine penicillin until no active disease for 6-8 weeks.
IV may have to be resumed if oral or IM therapy fails.
Pregnancy: IV then oral therapy as above.
Return to top

LATE DISSEMINATED -- Present greater than one year, more severely ill patients, and those with prior significant steroid therapy or any other cause of impaired immunity:

Adults and pregnancy: Extended IV therapy (10 or more weeks), then oral or IM, if effective, to same endpoint.
Children: IV therapy for 6 or more weeks, then oral or IM follow up as above.
Return to top

CHRONIC LYME DISEASE

By definition, this category consists of patients with active infection, of a more prolonged duration, and most likely have higher spirochete loads, weaker defense mechanisms, possibly more virulent or resistant strains, and probably are significantly co-infected. Neurotoxins may also be significant in these patients. Search for and treat concurrent illnesses including viruses, chlamydias, and mycoplasmas. These patients require a full evaluation for all of these problems, and each abnormality must be addressed.

This group will most likely need parenteral therapy, especially high dose, pulsed therapy, and antibiotic combinations, including metronidazole. Antibiotic therapy will need to continue for many months, and the antibiotics may have to be changed periodically to break plateaus in recovery. Be vigilant for treatment-related problems such as antibiotic-associated colitis, yeast overgrowth, intravenous catheter complications, and abnormalities in blood counts and chemistries.

If treatment can be continued long term, then a remarkable degree of recovery is possible. However, attention must be paid to all treatment modalities for such a recovery -- not only antibiotics, but rehab programs, nutritional supplements, enforced rest, low carbohydrate, high fiber diets, attention to food sensitivities, avoidance of stress, abstinence from caffeine and alcohol, and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra articular injections, for example).

Unfortunately, not all patients with chronic Lyme disease will fully recover and treatment may not eradicate the active Borrelia infection. Such individuals may have to be maintained on open-ended, ongoing antibiotic therapy, for they repeatedly relapse after antibiotics are stopped. Maintenance antibiotic therapy is thus mandatory.

Return to top

SAFETY

Nearly two decades of experience in treating thousands of patients with Lyme has proven that therapy as described above, although intense, is generally well tolerated. The most common adverse reaction seen is allergy to probenecid. In addition, yeast superinfections are seen, but these are generally easily recognized and managed. The induction of Clostridium difficile toxin production is seen most commonly with ceftriaxone, but can occur with any of the antibiotic regimens mentioned in this document. However, pulsed dose therapy and regular use of the lactobacillus preparations seems to be helpful in controlling yeast and antibiotic related colitis, as the number of cases of C. difficile in Lyme patients is low when these guidelines are followed.

When using central intravenous lines including PICC lines (peripherally inserted central catheters), if ANY line problems arise, it is recommended that the line be pulled for patient safety. Salvage attempts (urokinase, repairing holes) are often ineffective and may not be safe.

Please advise all patients who take the tetracyclines of skin and eye sensitivity to sunlight and the proper precautions, and advise birth control if appropriate. When doxycycline is given parenterally, do not refreeze the solution prior to use!

Remember, years of experience with chronic antibiotic therapy in other conditions, including rheumatic fever, acne, gingivitis, recurrent otitis, recurrent cystitis, COPD, bronchiectasis, and others have not revealed any consistent dire consequences as a result of such medication use. Indeed, the very real consequences of untreated, chronic persistent infection by B. burgdorferi can be far worse than the potential consequences of this treatment.

Return to top

CO-INFECTIONS IN LYME

PIROPLASMOSIS (Babesiosis)

GENERAL INFORMATION

Piroplasms are not bacteria, they are protozoans. Therefore, they will not be eradicated by any of the currently used Lyme treatment regimens. Therein lies the significance of co-infections -- if a Lyme patient has been extensively treated yet is still ill, suspect a co-infection.

Babesia infection is becoming more commonly recognized, especially in patients who already have Lyme Disease. It has been published that as many as 66% of Lyme patients show evidence of co-infection with Babesia. It has also been reported that Babesial infections can range in severity from mild, subclinical infection, to fulminant, potentially life-threatening illness. The more severe presentations are more likely to be seen in immunocompromised and elderly patients. Milder infections are often missed because the symptoms are incorrectly ascribed to Lyme. Babesial infections, even mild ones, may recrudesce and cause severe illness. This phenomenon has been reported to occur at any time, even up to several years after the initial infection. Furthermore, asymptomatic carriers pose risks: to the blood supply as this infection has been reported to be passed on by blood transfusion, and to the unborn child from an infected mother as it can be transmitted in utero. Some quotes from the literature:

Krause, PJ. Spielman, A, Telford, SR et.al. Persistent parasitemia after acute Babesiosis N Engl J Med 1998. 339:160

``The clinical spectrum of human Babesiosis ranges from an apparently silent infection to a fulminant malaria-like disease.''
``When left untreated, silent Babesial infection may persist for months to years."
``Silent infections, which occur in about a third of infected people, may recrudesce."
``Babesial infection may recrudesce after many months of asymptomatic parasitemia.''
``Although parasites were initially detected microscopically in the blood of two of the untreated subjects, and all of the treated subjects, none could be found a week after the onset of illness.''
``Persistent symptoms of Babesiosis accompanied persistent blood-borne Babesial DNA.''
``The persistence of seroreactivity increasingly correlated with the persistence of Babesial DNA.''
``In those with only subtle symptoms, Babesiosis often remains undiagnosed.''
``Furthermore, physicians tend not to recognize Babesial infection in those who are co-infected with the agent of Lyme Disease, because Babesial symptoms tend to be ascribed to Lyme Disease.''
``Physicians caring for patients with moderate to severe Lyme disease should consider obtaining diagnostic tests for Babesiosis and possibly other tick-borne pathogens... especially in patients experiencing "atypical Lyme disease'' or patients in whom the response to antibiotic treatment is delayed or absent.''

Krause, PJ, Telford, SR, Spielman, A, et.al. Concurrent Lyme disease and Babesiosis. JAMA 1996. 275 (21):1657

``Subjects with evidence of both infections reported a greater array of symptoms than those infected by the spirochete or piroplasm alone.''
``Co-infection generally results in more intense acute illness and a more prolonged convalescence than accompany either infection alone.''
``Spirochete DNA was evident more often and remained in the circulation longer in co-infected subjects than in those experiencing either infection alone.''
``Co-infection might also synergize spirochete-induced lesions in human joints, heart and nerves.''
``Babesial infections may impair human host defense mechanisms''
``The possibility of concomitant Babesial infection should be considered when moderate to severe Lyme Disease has been diagnosed.''

Return to top

SYMPTOMS

In milder forms, symptoms may include a vague sense of imbalance without true vertigo, headache, mild encephalopathy, fatigue, sweats, air hunger and occasionally cough. When present as a co-infection with Lyme, initial symptoms of the illness are often more acute and severe. Suggestions of co-infection include the above symptoms, but the headaches are more severe, and encephalopathy is out of proportion to the other Borrelia symptoms. The fulminant presentations include high fevers, shaking chills and hemolysis, and can be fatal.

DIAGNOSTIC TESTS

Diagnostic tests are insensitive and problematic. There are at least thirteen Babesial forms found in ticks, yet we can currently only test for B. microti and WA-1 with our serologic and nuclear tests. Standard blood smears reportedly are reliable for only the first two weeks of infection, thus are not useful for diagnosing later infections and milder ones including carrier states where the germ load is too low to be detected.

Krause, PJ, Telford, SR, Spielman, A, et.al. Concurrent Lyme disease and Babesiosis. JAMA 1996. 275 (21):1660

``As is common in the case of Babesial infections, parasites frequently cannot be seen in blood films.''

Therefore, multiple diagnostic test methods are available and each have their own benefits and limitations and often several tests must be done. Be prepared to treat based on clinical presentation, even with negative tests.

SEROLOGY

Unlike Lyme, Babesia titers can reflect infection status. Thus, persistently positive titers or western blots suggest persistent infection.

PCR

This is more sensitive than smears for B. microti, but will not detect other species.

ENHANCED SMEAR

This utilizes buffy coat, prolonged scanning (up to three hours per sample!) and digital photography through custom-made microscopes. Although more sensitive than standard smears, infections can still be missed. The big advantage is that it will display multiple species, not just B. microti.

FLUORESCENT IN-SITU HYBRIDIZATION ASSAY (FISH)

This technique is also a form of blood smear. It is said to be 100-fold more sensitive than standard smears for B. microti, because instead of utilizing standard, ink-based stains, it uses a fluorescent-linked RNA probe and ultraviolet light. The Babesial organisms are then much easier to spot when the slides are scanned. The disadvantage is that currently only B. microti is detected.

Return to top

TREATMENT

Treating Babesia infections had always been difficult, because the therapy that had been recommended until 1998 consisted of a combination of clindamycin plus quinine. Published reports and clinical experience have shown this regimen to be unacceptable, as nearly half of patients so treated have had to abandon treatment due to serious side effects, many of which were disabling. Furthermore, even in patients who could tolerate these drugs, there was a failure rate approaching 50%.

Krause, PJ. Spielman, A, Telford, SR et.al.. Persistent parasitemia after acute Babesiosis N Engl J Med 1998. 339:162

``Of the treated subjects, almost half had symptoms that were consistent with reactions to quinine, including hearing loss, tinnitus, hypotension, and such gastrointestinal symptoms as anorexia, vomiting, and diarrhea.''
``Although treatment with clindamycin and quinine reduces the duration of parasitemia, infection may persist and recrudesce and side effects are common.''

Because of these dismal statistics, the current regimen of choice for Babesiosis is the combination of atovaquone plus azithromycin. This combination was initially studied in animals, and then applied to Humans with good success, because when atovaquone was used alone, resistance developed in 20% of cases, but reportedly did not occur when azithromycin was added. Fewer than 5% of patients have to halt treatment due to side effects, and the success rate is clearly better than that of clindamycin plus quinine.

The duration of treatment with atovaquone plus azithromycin for Babesiosis varies depending on the degree of infection, duration of illness before diagnosis, the health and immune status of the patient, and whether the patient is co-infected with Borrelia burgdorferi. Typically, a three-week course is prescribed for acute cases, while chronic, longstanding infections with significant morbidity and co-infection will require several months of therapy. Relapses have occurred, and retreatment is occasionally needed.

Problems during therapy include diarrhea, mild nausea, the expense of atovaquone (over $600.00 per bottle -- enough for three weeks of treatment), and rarely, a temporary yellowish discoloration of the vision. Regular blood counts, liver panels and amylase levels are recommended during any prolonged course of therapy. Patients who are not cured with this regimen can be retreated but with higher doses, as this has proven effective in many of my patients. Artemesia (a non-prescription herb) may be added, but is not effective when used alone. Metronidazole can also be added to increase efficacy, but there is minimal clinical data on how much more effective this regimen is.

Return to top

EHRLICHIOSIS

GENERAL INFORMATION

While it is true that this illness can have a fulminant presentation, and may even become fatal if not treated, milder forms do exist, as does chronic low-grade infection, especially when other tick-borne organisms are present. The potential transmission of Ehrlichia during tick bites is the main reason why doxycycline is now the first choice in treating tick bites and early Lyme, before serologies can become positive. When present alone or co-infecting with B. burgdorferi, persistent leukopenia is an important clue. Thrombocytopenia and elevated liver enzymes are less common, but likewise should not be ignored. Headaches, myalgias, and ongoing fatigue seem to relate to this illness, but are extremely difficult to separate from symptoms caused by Bb.

Return to top

DIAGNOSTIC TESTING

Testing is problematic with Ehrlichia, similar to the situation with Babesiosis. More species are known to be present in ticks than can be tested for with clinically available serologies and PCRs. In addition, serologies and PCRs are of unknown sensitivity and specificity. Standard blood smears for direct visualization of organisms in leukocytes are of low yield. Enhanced smears using buffy coats significantly raises sensitivity and will indicate a wider variety of species. Despite this, infection can be missed, so clinical diagnosis remains the primary diagnostic tool. Again, consider this diagnosis in a Lyme Borreliosis (LB) patient not responding well to therapy.

Return to top

TREATMENT

Standard treatment consists of Doxycycline, 200 mg daily for two to four weeks. Higher doses, parenteral therapy, and longer treatment durations may be needed based on the duration and severity of illness, and whether immune defects or extreme age is present. However, there are reports of treatment failure even when higher doses and long duration treatment with doxycycline is given. In such cases, consideration may be given for adding rifampin, 600 mg daily, to the regimen.

Return to top

BARTONELLA

Bartonella henselae, the agent of cat scratch disease, has been found in Ixodid ticks and as a co-infection in patients with Lyme Disease. With co-infection, symptoms of Bartonella are almost impossible to distinguish from Lyme, but may include lymphadenopathy, splenomegaly, hepatomegaly, headache, encephalopathy, somnolence, flu-like malaise, weight loss, sore throat, and a papular or angiomatous rash. In acute cases, there can be hemolysis with anemia, high fever, weakened immune response, jaundice, abnormal liver enzymes, and myalgias. Endocarditis and myocarditis have been reported. More severe infections are associated with immune deficiency and possibly occurrence of opportunistic infections. As in Lyme Disease and Babesiosis, Bartonella may be transmitted to the fetus in the infected pregnant patient.

Diagnostic tests include serology, blood and CSF PCR, and biopsy of skin lesions and lymph nodes.

In the co-infected Lyme patient, eradication may be difficult. Many antibiotic agents have been reported to be effective, including cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, erythromycins, gentamicin, rifampin and streptomycin. In practice, these patients seem to do best with a combination regimen that utilizes agents that can penetrate cells. Typical combinations include an erythromycin, plus a fluoroquinolone or rifampin. Treatment progress is most commonly assessed by PCR post treatment and serial titers.

Return to top

NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS IN DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE

Studies on patients with chronic illnesses such as Lyme and Chronic Fatigue have demonstrated that some of the late symptoms are related to cellular damage and deficiencies in certain essential nutrients. Double blinded, placebo controlled studies, and in one case direct assay of biopsy specimens have proven the value of some of the supplements listed. Some are required, while others are optional -- see below. They are listed in order of importance.

The quality of supplements used is often more important than the dose. In fact, ``mega doses'' are not recommended. Instead, seek out, if possible, pharmaceutical grade products, especially if USP certified. Pharmanex brand products are recommended because they fit these criteria. In the list below, it is indicated whether the product should be gotten from Pharmanex, or whether a different source or generic substitute is OK. To order Pharmanex brand products, call 1-800-487-1000 and give the following US reference # 9256681.

Return to top

BASIC DAILY REGIMEN

ACIDOPHILUS (required when on antibiotics)

Essential daily supplement to maintain the normal balance of bowel flora, especially if on antibiotics, or if gastrointestinal disturbances are present. Always try to get enteric coated, milk-free acidophilus. The best kinds are frozen or refrigerated to ensure potency. Take two with each meal.

MULTI-VITAMIN (required)

I recommend the Life Pack family of multivitamins. These are unique supplements -- Pharmaceutical grade and USP certified, they are the only products clinically proven in double-blinded, placebo controlled crossover studies to quench free radicals and raise antioxidant levels in the blood and lipids. Choose LifePak for males under 40, LifePak Women for hormonally active women, and LifePak Prime for postmenopausal women and for men over 40. They are available through Pharmanex. Continue long term.

CO-Q10 (ubiquinone) -- required if not taking the prescription drug atovaquone (Mepron)

Deficiencies have been related to poor function of the heart, limitations of stamina, gum disease, and poor resistance to infections. Heart biopsy studies in Lyme patients indicated that they should take between 200 and 300mg daily of standard CoQ 10, or 90 mg of the well absorbed, highly purified, crystalline CoQ 10 product sold by Pharmanex, (surprisingly, the Pharmanex brand is far less expensive than the generic). The body will manufacture its own C0Q 10 when the original illness is controlled, but only if stimulated by aggressive exercise. Therefore, use this supplement until the patient is feeling well and exercising regularly.

VITAMIN B (required)

Clinical studies demonstrated the need for supplement vitamin B in infections with Borrelia, to help clear neurological symptoms. Take one 50 mg B-complex capsule daily. If neuropathy is severe, an additional 50 to 100 mg of B6 daily may be helpful. Generics are OK.

MAGNESIUM (required)

Magnesium supplementation is very helpful for the tremors, twitches, cramps, muscle soreness, heart skips and weakness. It may also help in energy level and cognition. The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (``Mag-tab SR,'' sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals [1-800-677-0355], and available at Wal-Mart). DO NOT rely on ``cal-mag,'' calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed. Take at least one to two tablet twice daily. Higher doses may cause diarrhea, and you should check with your physician before using more than this. In some cases, injections or intravenous doses may be necessary. Continue long term.

ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS (required)

Studies show that when EFAs are taken regularly, statistically significant improvements in fatigue, aches weakness, vertigo, dizziness, memory, concentration and depression are likely. There are two broad classes: GLA (omega-6 oils) and EPA (omega-3 oils), derived respectively from plant and fish oils. This is what to take:

Plant Oils: borage oil, evening primrose oil, or black currant seed oil (choose one). Do NOT use Flax seed oil!

Fish Oil: Omega-3 (Fish Oil) capsules, 1000 mg per capsule. Use ``Optimum Omega'' by Pharmanex, if a higher quality product is desired, or to minimize the ``fishy'' aftertaste.

RECOMMENDATION: four plant oil capsules and four fish oil capsules daily, taken with meals. Continue for three to four months then try to taper down the dose.

Return to top

OPTIONAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

CORDYMAX (optional)

Cordyceps is a well-known herb from Tibet and has been shown in clinical studies to improve stamina, fatigue, and enhance lung and antioxidant function. It increases mitochondrial ATP levels and also raises superoxide dismutase levels. The positive effects can be so dramatic, I strongly urge all people with fatigue to try this. Available only from Pharmanex as ``CordyMax.''

METHYLCOBALAMIN (Methyl B12) (optional)

This is a prescription drug available only from compounding pharmacies. It is related to vitamin B12 and has several documented benefits: it helps to heal damage to the nervous system, enhances diminished T-cell function, can restore the normal diurnal cycle, and can help with memory and cognition. Methyl B12 must injected into the muscle as it will not be absorbed if swallowed or used sublingually. Dose ranges from 25 to 50 mg daily, based on weight.

REISHI MAX (optional)

This enhanced extract from cracked spores of the reishi mushroom has been shown in clinical studies to augment function of the Natural Killer Cells and macrophages. Take two a day for maintenance, and four a day in disease states. Available only from Pharmanex.

ECHINACEA (optional)

May be helpful in fighting acute and chronic viral illnesses. Choose a pharmaceutical grade brand (``Immune Formula'' by Pharmanex), and do not use the liquid form as this contains alcohol. Do not take daily on a long-term basis, as the benefit may wear off. For a chronic illness, double the usual daily dose but take in cycles -- use daily three weeks on, one week off each month.

BIO-GINKGO (optional)

The most effective ginkgo brand in my experience -- pharmaceutical grade, and very high potency to assure full bioavailability. Available only from Pharmanex. Ginkgo has been shown to increase blood flow to many organs, including the brain. Patients report clearer thinking and better memory. Be aware that this brand is strong -- start with a low dose, then increase every few days or a pressure-type, vascular headache may result from all the increased circulation.

GLUCOSAMINE (optional)

Can be of long term benefit to the joints. Do not be misled into buying a product that also contains chondroitin, as this chemical does not add anything, but it can make the product more expensive. Look for a product that contains the herb Boswellia serrata -- this is a non-irritative anti-inflammatory. Although many generics exist, the Pharmanex product, ``Cartilage Formula,'' has the right ingredients and is of proven efficacy. Expect improvement only over time (several weeks), but plan to use this indefinitely to maintain joint health.

CREATINE (optional)

Creatine has been shown to be of benefit in neuromuscular degenerative diseases such as Lou Gherig's Disease (ALS) and can be very helpful in supporting low blood pressure, as in NMH. Important: To use this safely, you must have an adequate fluid intake. The creatine product should contain taurine, an amino acid needed to enhance creatine absorption, plus some carbohydrate to aid creatine entry into muscle. You will need a 20 gram loading dose for the first five days, then 4 to 10 grams daily maintenance. Try ``Cell Tech'' from the Vitamin Shop, and follow label directions.

MILK THISTLE (optional)

Useful to support liver function. Take 175 mg three times daily -- use an 80% Silymarin extract.

MUSCLE FIX (optional)

This blend of nutrients from Pharmanex really helps sore, tight muscles. Must be taken on an empty stomach -- either two, twice daily between meals, or four at bedtime. Can be used intermittently as needed, or daily.

Return to top

LYME DISEASE REHABILITATION

Those with long-standing tick borne illnesses end up in poor physical condition. Even with successful treatment of the infections, chronic Lyme patients will not return to normal unless they pursue a formal program of therapeutic exercise, as outlined below.

In late stage disease, many negative effects to the body are occurring: muscles atrophy, and to some degree, the heart muscle also suffers, as do the joints, tendons, nerves, etc. The percent fat content of the body as a whole rises, the cholesterol rises, and the balance between HDL and LDL becomes less favorable. In at least 80% of the patients, significant weight gain occurs.

Because of the extreme fatigue and body pain, many Lyme sufferers end up spending inordinate amounts of time in bed, and get far less exercise than they did before they became ill. This begins a debilitating downward spiral that can be very difficult to reverse.

As a result, Lyme patients are stiff, weak, tired, have poor stamina, and are at increased risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Antibiotic treatment alone cannot correct these effects. Therefore, it is necessary to prescribe physical therapy, the extent of which depends on an individual patients' condition, followed by a graded exercise program.

The earliest phase involves multiple modalities (massage, heat, TENS, MENS, ultrasound, etc.) and aggressive range of motion exercises supervised by a physical therapist, to relieve discomfort and to promote better sleep and flexibility. The goal of physical therapy is to prepare the patient for the required, gym-based exercise program. This starts with stretching and mild muscular toning. Then, the program must expand to include muscular conditioning and strengthening, ideally under the supervision of a credentialed exercise physiologist. ``Body sculpture'' classes are ideal. Aerobics are not recommended until the patient has fully recovered.

This is the time for the very best of health habits. I recommend light, low fat food, high in fiber, with high quality nutritional value, minimal amounts of starch and other simple carbohydrates, absolute abstention from alcohol, elimination of caffeine, and if applicable, a serious commitment to weight loss. Consider testing for food hypersensitivities and recommending books that outline ``arthritis diets,'' as they can help some patients.

Cessation of smoking is extremely important and must be addressed immediately.

As written orders for physical therapy are required to initiate the program, an example of the format of a typical prescription for Lyme rehabilitation follows.

Return to top

LYME REHAB -- PHYSICAL THERAPY PRESCRIPTION

NAME ___________________________________________________________

D.O.B. _____________________________ DATE ________________________

Please enroll this patient in a program of therapy to rehabilitate him/her from the effects of Lyme Disease. If necessary, begin with classic physical therapy, then progress when appropriate to a whole body conditioning program. Such therapy must be graded, carefully individualized, and be performed on a one-on-one basis, at least initially, to ensure the maximal amount of supervision and guidance.

THERAPEUTIC GOALS (to be achieved in order as the patient's ability allows):

PHYSICAL THERAPY (if needed):

Relieve pain and muscle spasms utilizing multiple modalities as available and as indicated: massage, heat, ultrasound, TENS, "micro amp", etc.
Increase mobility while protecting damaged and weakened joints, tendons, and ligaments, to increase range of motion and relieve stiffness.
Physical therapy alone is not enough. The role of physical therapy here is to prepare the patient for the required, preferably gym-based, exercise program outlined below.
EXERCISE Begin with a private trainer for careful direction and education.

PATIENT EDUCATION AND MANAGEMENT (to be done during the initial one-on-one sessions and reinforced at all visits thereafter):

Instruct patients on correct exercise technique, including proper warm-up, breathing, joint protection, proper body positioning during the exercise, and how to cool-down and stretch afterwards.
Please work one muscle group at a time and perform extensive and extended stretching to each muscle group immediately after each one is exercised, before moving on to the next muscle group.
A careful interview should be performed at the start of each session to make apparent the effects, both good and bad, from the prior visit's therapy, and adjust therapy accordingly.
PROGRAM

Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed, not even low impact variety, until stamina improves.
Conditioning: work to improve strength and reverse the poor conditioning that results from Lyme, through a whole-body exercise program, consisting of light calisthenics and weight lifting, using small weights and many repetitions. This can be accomplished in exercise classes called ``stretch and tone,'' or ``body sculpture,'' or can be achieved with exercise machines, or carefully with free weights.
Each session should last one hour. If the patient is unable to continue for the whole hour, then modify the program to decrease the intensity to allow him/her to do so.
Exercise no more often than every other day. The patient may need to start by exercise every 4th or 5th day initially, and as his/her abilities improve, work out more often, but NEVER two days in a row. The days in between exercise sessions should be spent resting.
This whole-body conditioning program is what is required to achieve wellness. Simply placing the patient on a treadmill or an exercise bike is not acceptable (except briefly, as part of a warm-up), nor is a simple walking program.
PHYSICIAN'S SIGNATURE ____________________________________________

Return to top

MANAGING YEAST OVERGROWTH

Many patients with chronic illnesses including Lyme Disease develop an overgrowth of yeast. A basic strategy to combat this is to eat a full container of sugar-free, non-fruit flavored yogurt that contains active cultures daily, and take acidophilus, two after each meal. Here are some other suggestions:

MOUTH: Yeast problems usually begin in the mouth, for when thrush is present, organisms may repeatedly pass down into the GI tract where they cause the most problems. A tongue with a beige coating, bad breath, and a bad taste in the mouth are signs of oral yeast. Patients should use a toothpaste that contains surfactants (detergent-like cleaning agents), and antiseptic mouthwashes (Scope, Listerine, etc.), and brush the teeth, tongue, gums, cheeks and the roof of the mouth while holding the mouthwash in the mouth.

The most effective treatment, employed as a last resort, consists of using ``Dakin's Solution'' as a mouth rinse. This is a mixture of household liquid bleach (Clorox), one teaspoon in four ounces of water. A small amount is held in the mouth while brushing, then spit out, and repeated until the thrush has cleared. This is usually a one-time treatment, but may have to be repeated every few weeks.

After using an antiseptic to clean the mouth, it is necessary to immediately eat yogurt or chew an acidophilus capsule to replenish the beneficial flora in the mouth. Because the germ count after such a cleaning will be artificially reduced, and because yeasts are opportunists, they would be the first to come back. By having the yogurt or acidophilus then, a more normal oral flora will result and thrush will be better controlled.

Since yeast germs feed on sugars and starches, avoid simple carbohydrates including sugars, starches, and some fruits. Refer to the diet outlined below.

Prescription medications may be necessary. Mycelex troches and Nystatin liquid are not the best choice, for they contain large amounts of simple sugars. Instead, Nystatin oral powder is preferred, as it does not contain sugar. It is mixed with water, and swished and swallowed four times daily. Systemic antifungals tablets (Diflucan, Lamisil, Nizoral) may be necessary.

INTESTINAL TRACT: An overgrowth of yeast here will ferment dietary sugars and starches, forming acids, gas, and alcohols. Symptoms include gas, heartburn and/or pain in the stomach area, and because of the alcohol, there can be headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness, wooziness and post-meal fatigue. To clear intestinal yeast, first the oral cavity must be cleared so yeast does not reenter the system with every swallow. Avoid sweets, starches, fruits and juices to starve the germs. Use PLAIN yogurt daily, and acidophilus, 2 capsules three times daily after meals. Systemic antifungal medications may be needed.

VAGINAL: An occasional vaginal yeast infection can be controlled with products such as Monistat cream or suppositories. If it is a recurrent or ongoing problem, then it often reflects a simultaneous intestinal infection, re-infecting the genital area with every bowel movement. Therefore follow the above protocol for intestinal overgrowth, and use topical preparations such as Monistat concurrently for up to two weeks.

Return to top

YEAST CONTROL DIET (Restricted carbohydrate regimen)

FOODS ALLOWED

Meat, fish, fowl, cheese, eggs, dairy, tofu

FRUITS

Only high fiber fruits are allowed
Fruits are only allowed at the end of a meal, and never on an empty stomach
ALLOWED
Grapefruit, tomatoes, avocado, lemons, limes

SMALL AMOUNTS ONLY! (The high fiber content in these makes up for the carbohydrates)
Pears, apples, strawberries, etc.

NOT ALLOWED
Oranges, watermelons, bananas, grapes, etc. (too much sugar and not enough fiber)

VEGETABLES

Green vegetables and salads are O.K. Avoid starchy vegetables (potato, rice, beans, etc.)

STARCHES

If it is made from flour, it is not allowed! (No breads, cereals, cake, etc.)

SWEETENERS

NOT ALLOWED
No sugars at all; no fructose or corn syrup, and no honey

ALLOWED (if tolerated)
Aspartame, Nutrasweet, Equal; saccharin products allowed but not recommended

DRINKS

ALLOWED
Vegetable juices, water, seltzer, diet sodas, coffee and tea without sugar or caffeine NOT ALLOWED Fruit juices, regular sodas, any drinks sweetened with sugars, syrups or honey

Return to top

PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS ON BITE PREVENTION AND TICK REMOVAL

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM TICK BITES

PROPERTY
Remove wood piles, rock walls, and bird feeders as these attract tick-carrying small animals and can increase the risk of acquiring Lyme.
INSECTICIDES: Property should be treated with a product called ``Damminix.'' This consists of cardboard tubes containing cotton balls that have been dipped in insecticide. These tubes are placed around the property in the wooded areas and below shrubs. Mice, which are a key link in the propagation of Lyme disease, find the cotton and bring it back to their burrows to be used as nesting material, with the result being a big decrease in the number of ticks in the area. Unfortunately, after two years tick populations may rise again as other small animals that do not gather cotton become hosts to the ticks. Therefore, Damminix alone is not sufficient. Use this product in conjunction with liquid or granular insecticides.
LIQUID & GRANULAR PESTICIDES: Products meant for widespread application such as permethrin and its derivatives are preferred. They are available as a liquid concentrate and as granules. If liquid insecticides are used, application should be by fogging, not by coarse sprays. Apply these products in a strip a few feet wide at the perimeter of the lawn at any areas adjacent to woods and underbrush. Also treat any ornamental shrubs near the house that may serve as a habitat for small animals. The best time to apply these products is in late Spring and early Fall.

CLOTHING
When wearing long pants, tuck the cuffs into the socks so any ticks that get on shoes or socks will crawl on the outside of the pants and be less likely to bite. Also, light colored clothing should be worn so the ticks will be easier to spot. Smooth materials such as windbreakers are harder for ticks to grab onto and are preferable to knits, etc.

Tick repellents that contain ``permethrin'' (Permanone, Permakill) are meant to be sprayed onto clothing. Spray the clothes before they're put on, and let them dry first. Do not apply this chemical directly to the skin.

Ticks are very intolerant of being dried out. After being outdoors in an infested area, place clothes in the dryer for a few minutes to kill any ticks that may still be present.

SKIN
Insect repellents that contain ``DEET'' are somewhat effective when applied to the arms, legs, and around the neck. Do not use any repellent over wide areas of the body as they can be absorbed causing toxicity. Also, it is inadvisable to use a product that contains more than 50% DEET, and 25% concentrations are preferred. Use repellents cautiously on small children, as they are more susceptible to their toxic effects. Be aware that this repellent evaporates quickly and must be reapplied frequently.

Check carefully for ticks not only when home but frequently while still outside!

Return to top

HOW TO REMOVE AN ATTACHED TICK

Using a tweezer (not fingers!), grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull straight out. Then apply an antiseptic. Do not try to irritate them with heat or chemicals, or grasp them by the body, as this may cause the tick to inject more germs into your skin. Tape the tick to a card and record the date and location of the bite. Remember, the sooner the tick is removed, the less likely an infection will result.

Return to top

APPENDIX

RATIONALE FOR TREATING TICK BITES

Prophylactic antibiotic treatment upon a known tick bite is recommended for those who fit the following categories:

People at higher health risk bitten by an unknown type of tick or tick capable of transmitting Borrelia burgdorferi, e.g., pregnant women, babies and young children, people with serious health problems, and those who are immunodeficient.
Persons bitten in an area highly endemic for Lyme Borreliosis by an unidentified tick or tick capable of transmitting B. burgdorferi.
Persons bitten by a tick capable of transmitting B. burgdorferi, where the tick is engorged, or the attachment duration of the tick is greater than four hours, and/or the tick was improperly removed. This means when the body of the tick is squeezed upon removal, irritated with toxic chemicals in an effort to get it to back out, or disrupted in such a way that its contents were allowed to contact the bite wound. Such practices increase the risk of disease transmission.
A patient, when bitten by a known tick, clearly requests oral prophylaxis and understands the risks. This is a case-by-case decision.
The physician cannot rely on a laboratory test or clinical finding at the time of the bite to definitely rule in or rule out Lyme Disease infection, so must use clinical judgment as to whether to use antibiotic prophylaxis. Testing the tick itself for the presence of the spirochete, even with PCR technology, is not reliable enough to guide your decision to treat, as false positives and false negatives occur.

An established infection by B. burgdorferi can have serious, long-standing or permanent, and painful medical consequences, and be expensive to treat. Since the likelihood of harm arising from prophylactically applied spirochetal antibiotics is low, and since treatment is inexpensive and painless, it follows that the risk benefit ratio favors tick bite prophylaxis.

[top of page][back to articles & presentations]

http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.htm#rehab

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement