LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GRRRR!!! Update on my sinus problem......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GRRRR!!! Update on my sinus problem......
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so discouraged. My sinuses are a mess and I just found out the the CT scan showed a completely blocked maxillary sinus.

It's blocked by a large polyp. Guess what that means?

I can't imagine trying to go through a surgery right now....but nothing else is working.

My fears:

steroids used in surgery
huge possibility of infection [worse than I already have]
Lyme disease

Would someone please come over and hold my hand?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey tutu,

I had sinus surgery back in May. It really wasn't that bad. I had to have all the sinuses cleaned out.

It was easier afterwards than I expected. The only pain I had, two days later, was the roof of my mouth. It was from being suctioned.

Good luck.
I was taken off of treatment prior to that and did a Medrol pack prior to surgery. No ill effects.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry about your sinuses but maybe you can get another opinion and delay the surgery.

I know what you mean when you state your concerns. I have put off my hernia surgery for 6 years because of fear of complications-not a wise thing to do but if you are not feeling too bad otherwise it might be something to consider.What did the surgeon say?

The one I saw didn't seem concerned at all when I went down the list of my symptoms including cardiac ones but everyone is different.

Wish you the best!

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - (I couldn't find a holding-hand smilie)

I'm thinking about you and hope whatever you need to do turns out to be the easiest safest way.

Toots, is there any way to shrink a polyp?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trueblue:
Toots, is there any way to shrink a polyp?

None that I know of....but what do *I* know??
You wouldn't believe the things I've been snortin' up my nose for the past 3-4 wks!
[lol]
Thanks guys. Glad to hear that yours went well, Pocono.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry your sinuses are giving you so much trouble ... I'll bet the anticipation will be worse than the actual surgery ... Let's hope so!

[group hug]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery!! I've had surgery a couple time since I've been sick with lyme and everything went ok.

Think how much better you'll feel when it's over!!

Hugs,
Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had sinus surgery back in Feb, and I was able to bounch back from the surgery.

I must say it is not easy to go through, but my head feels so much better now. You don't realize how everything is blocked until you open it up.

Sorry to hear you have to go through this, but you will feel much better after the surgery.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i may be in the same boat on another nose surgery in future after hubby's 2 catarach t surgeries startaring tomorrow.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Good luck. I know you can handle it! Does "tick" you off when you start to feel better and something else goes wrong, though. [cussing]

You are in my prayers. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8894 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many problems:
http://www.arrowheadhealthworks.com/Steidl03.htm

This is an older site, but all other info is only in German. It is widely used there. I have the ongoing results from hospitals, medical doctors, etc. going bac to 1992. But all again only in German.

The Rizoles are available in any pharmacy in Germany. I have bought them both here and in Germany.

They are effective for bacteria, fungi, viruses, parasites and tumor cells.

You will also find my posts here on Ozonated Rizoles.

Ozonated rizoles has helped me with sinus related problems. Neural Therapy works well, and there is now Neural Therapy without Needles available.
Procaine with green laser, combined with the oils, takes minutes to loosen things up.

For me, sinus problems were mostly also fungi related.

Hope you find the right solution.

Take care.

Sharing my experiences.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

My biggest concern, I guess, is stepping foot into that hospital again. Every time I do, I leave with an infection.

Gigi....huh??
What does all that mean as far as treatment??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hold your hand if I could!!! We'll all be there in spirit, though.

Take care.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lymetoo,

sorry you have to go threw this [Frown]
and I really do understand your concern about hopitals.

Is there any way A doc can do it in a smaller surgery center. For myself and my family, we seem to have better luck there as far as the infection aspect goes.

I also wish I could hold your hand so here's some cyber (((hugs))))

I'll keep you in my prayers
healing hugs [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks guys. My next appointment with the ENT is three weeks away.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tutu,
So sorry to hear that you may need surgery.

Unfortunately I can't be there in person but I'll be glad to be one of your virtual hand holders.

Please let us know what happens at your next appointment. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lymetoo,

I will be holding your hand in spirit. [group hug]

I would thoroughly discuss my prior health issues/concerns with the ENT.

I would request some heavy duty antibiotics during your stay.

Is this an outpatient surgery? Or do you have to spend the night? [Eek!]

Ask about steroids.....see if they have to use them or can they do something else.

Never a dull moment in your life either, huh? [shake]

You hang in there. I think anticipation (especially at least 3 weeks worth)

Wreaks more havoc on your system that the actual surgery.

Will be praying for that polyp to just go away in the meantime.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure you haven't just been shoving peas up your nose?

-

I'm sending you a sympathy card.

Carol

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is what I 'learned' on a recent trip to help the elderly of the family,,,in the chemo waiting room,,,one day.

This guy was there and said he just had a polyp taken out of his sinuses,,,he said the doc said it was important to get it outta there cause its too close to the brain.

Lots of some of them are pre-cancerous. So rest assured removing it is the least of your worries.

The guy looked none the worse for wear,,,but sure its no fun. I had a deviated septum corrected once and they took apart my nose and reassembled it.

Thats why I look so bad,,,well I tried that excuse anyway!! Holding your hand would be the highlight of my day!! mostly--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey Cobby, that pic looks right...just my polyp is on the right side, not left. Can't you do anything right?? You're RIGHT, it COULD be the peas!

One tidbit of success....I'm actually getting some crud out of that RIGHT side! For weeks now, NOTHING was coming out of that side.

Thanks to all the hand-holders! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry, Tutu [Frown] [group hug]

I found this: eMedicine - Nasal Polyps, Nonsurgical Treatment

It might be worth a shot to do some Zith & Artemisinin while you're waiting for EMT appt. Maybe you can shrink it. ???

some Wiki info:

Nasal polyps are most often treated with steroids, topical or oral, but can also be treated with surgical methods.

Pre-post surgery, sinus rinses with a warm water (240ml / 8oz) mixed with a small amount (teaspoon) of salts (sodium chloride & sodium bicarbonate) can be very helpful to clear the sinuses.

This method can be also used as a preventative measure to discourage the polyps from growing back and should be used in combination with a nasal steroid.

Mometasone furoate, commonly available as a nasal spray for treating common allergy symptoms, has been indicated in the United States by the FDA for the treatment of nasal polyps since December 2004.

Here's a distraction for you:

Sheep Game

you can go to mastamariner.com to download a cursor that looks like a Border Collie to make it more fun! [Big Grin]

and some hugs:

[group hug] [group hug]
[group hug]
[kiss]
[hi]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Hey Cobby, that pic looks right...just my polyp is on the right side, not left. Can't you do anything right?? You're RIGHT, it COULD be the peas!

One tidbit of success....I'm actually getting some crud out of that RIGHT side! For weeks now, NOTHING was coming out of that side.

Thanks to all the hand-holders! [group hug]

picky picky picky- [Eek!]

Personally- I think it's just a petrified booger.

Unfortunately I can't send card right now-something seems to be blocking my way....hmmmm.
Maybe my computer has some peas stuck ,too.

Cobweb
Unregistered

Hey Ali- I'm going to play that Sheep game next time I can't sleep when someone gives me some disturbing news just before bedtime! [Wink]
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks for the links, Ali. [hi] I'll explore them more later....gotta get ready to leave the house.

Hey PEAweb, I'll ask my doc about the possibility of a petrified booger. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:

Hey Ali- I'm going to play that Sheep game next time I can't sleep when someone gives me some disturbing news just before bedtime! [Wink]

[Big Grin] [lol] ROFLMAO! [lol] [Big Grin]

Thanks alot, PAL!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

[hi]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Pre-post surgery, sinus rinses with a warm water (240ml / 8oz) mixed with a small amount (teaspoon) of salts (sodium chloride & sodium bicarbonate) can be very helpful to clear the sinuses.
====================

And added to that is filtered Xango, colloidal silver and grapefruit complex (drops). [Eek!]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Member # 259

"Gigi....huh??
What does all that mean as far as treatment??"

Lymetoo, if it were my nose it would mean a couple of drops of one of the ten Ozonated Rizoles on a Q-tip up my nose followed by sweeping the area with my green laser for a few seconds. And of course repeated.

I do a similar self-help ( I don't have polyps) to the foot which I fractured two years ago. If I am on it a lot, which happens to be all the time, it tends to swell because it is structurally not perfect, muscles and nerves. affected. I then rub a bit of oil on it and laser it in. Takes a couple of drops of oil and a green laser and a few seconds. Swelling goes down. Obviously stimulating the lymphatics.
And no pain. If I had arthritis in that foot, I would do the same thing maybe using Traumeel with green laser.

Cuts and bruises and slashes (we have a big yard with many trees and bushes......) do not normally heal so well in older folk like us. Green laser helps to close it up very quickly.

You can learn about this from www.andreannarainville.com

I do the same thing if I have a "stuffy" nose - I laser it a bit with a procaine vial (activates the nerve ganglia just like Neural Therapy) and drains and clears almost instantly.

If I can possibly avoid it, nobody is ever going to be allowed with a knife on my body. My thought: The polyp is caused by something!!! Just taking the polyp away surgically may not address the problem totally and forever. The ozonated oils might address the cause. ART would give you a more distinct answer.

If you understand what a scar can do to your nerve transmission system, you then have to deal with the scar that is left behind after a surgical intervention. Chronic patients -- Scars are the very first thing that is treated by doctors who use Neural Therapy in their practice. Scars often disturb the nerve communication in the body and block the autonomic nervous system resulting in all sorts of disturbances. A tiny scar from an old vaccination can cause this.

Just some thoughts.

We are delicate creatures!

Wait until I tell you when I have time how I revived an almost dead Robin that had hit our skywindow-overhang last Sunday!

Take care.

Just sharing "my thing" - everbody do their thing!

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lymetoo, if it were my nose it would mean a couple of drops of one of the ten Ozonated Rizole on a Q-tip ...

Where do you find that?

I kinda doubt the polyp can be reached with a Q-tip. [??] The dr could not see it even with his instruments.

Thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu, sorry about your peas getting stuck. I had read a post from you a couple weeks ago and you were taking abx? Was abx for sinus infection?

It is scarey to go into the hospital now with all the horror stories going on about staph infections that kill. You know because you've lived through hospital infections that just keep going and going.

I hope it disappears in those three weeks.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Lymetoo, I am not saying "do not remove the polyp". I am saying what I would do if it were my nose.

http://www.sinuswars.com/polyps.asp

Polyps are "caused" by something. An infection by what?

Rizoles address many different infections. I posted the Arrowhead website in my first post above that explains more.

I encourage you by all means to do what makes you most comfortable. I merely want to shed a different light on things -

Take care.

Cobweb
Unregistered

Flare those nostrils-here comes the card!

no viruses, ticks or polyps attached!

Click on the following link:
http://www.bluemountain.com/view.pd?i=174903281&m=6876&rr=y&source=bma999

Clancy
Member # 8774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi, Where would you buy a green laser? Our local Staples only have the red ones. Thanks.
Posts: 67 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Clancy, go to www.andreannarainville.com - laser balancing. Check out the content of the vials also.

Take care.

Sharing our experiences.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by map1131:
Tutu, sorry about your peas getting stuck. I had read a post from you a couple weeks ago and you were taking abx? Was abx for sinus infection?
YEP

It is scarey to go into the hospital now with all the horror stories going on about staph infections that kill. You know because you've lived through hospital infections that just keep going and going.
YEP!

I hope it disappears in those three weeks.
AMEN sister!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:
Lymetoo, I am not saying "do not remove the polyp". I am saying what I would do if it were my nose.

http://www.sinuswars.com/polyps.asp

I appreciate your input, Gigi! Now about those ozonated rizoles....? Is that what's in the sinus wars stuff?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:
Flare those nostrils-here comes the card!

That was so cute! Thank you!! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serrapeptase and Sinusitis

Due to its inflammatory properties, serrapeptase has been shown in clinical studies to benefit chronic sinusitis sufferers. In this condition, the mucus in patients' nasal cavities is thickened and hypersecreted. This thickening causes mucus to be expelled less frequently.

Japanese researchers evaluated the effects of serratiopeptidase (30 mg/day orally for four weeks) on the elasticity and viscosity of the nasal mucus in adult patients with chronic sinusitis. Serratiopeptidase reduced the viscosity of the mucus, improving the elimination of bronchopulmonary secretions.(23)

Other clinical trials support serrapeptase's ability to relieve the problems associated with chronic sinusitis. In one study, 140 patients with acute or chronic ear, nose and throat pathologies were evaluated with either a placebo or the active serratia peptidase.

Patients taking the serrapeptase experienced a significant reduction in severity of pain, amount of secretion, purulence of secretions, difficulty in swallowing, nasal dysphonia, nasal obstruction, anosmia, and body temperature after three to four days and at the end of treatment.

Patients suffering from laryngitis, catarrhal rhinopharyngitis and sinusitis who were treated with serrapeptase experienced a significant and rapid improvement of symptoms after 3-4 days. Physicians assessed efficacy of treatment as excellent or good for 97.3 percent of patients treated with serrapeptase compared with only 21.9 percent of those treated with a placebo.(24)

Respiratory diseases are characterized by increased production of a more dense mucus modified in viscosity and elasticity. Traditionally, in respiratory diseases, muco-active drugs are prescribed to reestablish the physicochemical characteristics of the mucus in order to restore respiratory function. Some of these drugs, however, cause a functional depletion of mucus, whereas Serrapeptase alters the elasticity of mucus without depleting it.(25,27)

A powerful agent by itself, serrapeptase teamed with antibiotics delivers increased concentrations of the antimicrobial agent to the site of the infection. Bacteria often endure a process called biofilm formation, which results in resistance to antimicrobial agents.

In an attempt to prevent this bacterial immunity, researchers have experimented with various means of inhibiting biofilm-embedded bacteria. Their search may have ended with serrapeptase.

One study conducted by Italian researchers suggests that proteolytic enzymes could significantly enhance the activities of antibiotics against biofilms. Antibiotic susceptibility tests showed that serratiopeptidase greatly enhances the activity of the antibiotic, ofloxacin, and that it can inhibit biofilm formation.(28)

Another double-blind randomized study evaluated the effects of administering the antibiotic cephalexin in conjunction with serrapeptase or a placebo to 93 patients suffering from either perennial rhinitis, chronic rhinitis with sinusitis or chronic relapsing bronchitis.

The serratia peptidase treated group experienced significant improvement in rhinorrhea, nasal stuffiness, coryza and improvement of the para-nasal sinus shadows.(29)

Researchers witnessed equally impressive results in the treatment of infections in lung cancer patients undergoing thoracotomy. Serrapeptase and cefotiam, an antibiotic with a broad spectrum of activity against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative microorganisms, were administered to 35 thoracotomy patients with lung cancer.

The patients were divided into two groups. A single dose of cefotiam was administered to the 17 subjects in Group I. The 18 subjects in Group II received a combination of Cefotiam and serrapeptase. The level of the antibiotic in the tissues versus the blood was significantly higher in the serrapeptase group than the single dose group.(30)

-

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel better Tutu! [Smile]

Serrapeptase (above posted by micul) sounds potentially helpful...

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement