LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ozonated Water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ozonated Water
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have been using ozonated water now for many years. It is something that we really treasure.
It is a tiny unit and I fill my glass bottles every day.

O3 rapidly converts all known toxins and wastes in the body cells to H2O and CO2 and they flush out of the systemn much easier. It is a great organ support. I soak my beans in it - wash some produce, etc.

We got ours from Sota in Canada. It is very affordable for the benefit it brings. Maybe the price has gone up some over the years - really don't know. But I think it is worthwhile investigating.

It's just one of the hundred other things we did over the years -but it paid off in the long run.

Take care.

Just sharing my experiences.

P.S. Some pills are good, some are not. Some devices that I have tried are good and worth it, others are not. I have a few of these in my garage. Good things sells themselves. I am of a totally different mindset than some on this board suspect. If I want to earn some extra money, I will find a better and more rewarding way to do it. But if I found something that helped me and has helped others, I will say so. The ozonator is one of the first items we bought and was well worth it. So please do not accuse me anymore of selling someone's wares.

If that kind of accusation is thrown at me once more, I will just let you go ahead and do your own research from scratch and make your own pleasant or unpleasant discoveries after you have spent your money. I am tired of being accused. The people who are in the habit of doing this will hopefully understand what I am saying. No more, please.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ozone can purify drinking water, disinfect
mildewed boats, and deodorize fire-ravaged
buildings. But ozone is also a toxic gas, a
component of smog, with no known beneficial heath
effects."
Just passing along something I read in a Consumer's Report.

For the sake of a balanced presentation. I cannot speak from personal experience-just personal investigation prior to my using any product such as an ozonator.

Cobby

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Unless you have gills, it's just an expensive burp!

Oxygenated water (also known as "superoxygenated" water) is offered at hundreds of Web sites. I highly recommend it if you happen to be a fish, but if you have lungs that breathe air, then forget about it! All water that has been exposed to the air is "oxygenated" to a small extent-- about 8 milligrams of O2 per liter of water at room temperature-- and this can be increased by pressurizing the water with oxygen gas; each additional atmosphere of oxygen pressure pumps an additional 40 mg into each liter. But what happens when you open the bottle? That's right, the extra oxygen goes right back out-- but not immediately, so by drinking oxygenated water, you can still take a bit more oxygen into your stomach. But can any oxygen molecules that don't get burped back out actually find their way into your bloodstream through absorption in the stomach or intestine? I very much doubt it; the lungs are exquisitely adapted to this function, while your digestive system is specialized for absorbing other nutrients. Suppose, instead, that you simply breathe in an extra liter of air (much easier to do than drinking a liter of water!) It's an easy chemistry students' calculation to show that you will be inhaling about 146 mg of oxygen in this way. Not all of it will enter your bloodstream, but you can always take an extra breath; it's free!

Just more stuff I found in my personal research. From website "Oxegenated Water Nonsense".

Interesting read for anyone considering an ozonator .

Again I am not responding from personal experience, just personal research.

Now it's time for me to take a deep breath and go for a walk.

Cobby

sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one can't afford an ozonator, can using a Brita filter or PUR filter be of benefit?

There is amazing research attesting to the huge benefits of ozone but only under a skilled and licensed person. This is different from ozone water, however.

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my ozonated water! Unfortunately, Sota was not stocking their ozonator at the time (I say unfortunately because I LOVE Sota and have two of their other products which are stellar) so I got a really cheapy cheapy unit from Enaly which also works well.

I like the o3 water because it doesn't make me herx.

Sizzled...the Brita/PUR filters are different. They filter out some stuff like chlorine and some bacterias, etc. although I found out recently that they do *not* filter out fluoride.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 14 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, AlisonP!!

I appreciate the knowledge that the Brita/PUR filters don't filter out fluoride.Is fluoride only placed in city water??

Well water should be free of fluoride? I know there are SO many tests for water...It can be mind-boggling! [dizzy]

I think in NY state, there is concern for lead in the water. Besides, pesticides and drugs like, tranquilizers! [Eek!]

Ozonated AIR is suppose to be bad for you?

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

What I can speak from experience is the benefits of getting outside for a walk , or a sit, in the fresh air-it helps me mentally, physically and spiritually.

God Bless Mother Nature. [Smile]

Cobby

GiGi
Member # 259

We are using "ionized" air from Air Energy, especially when the roads are slick with wet leaves in fall and winter. The color therapy == rainbow colors playing over the water bubbles is a part of it and very soothing. I use it often, especially after talking with sick people. That was a Family Christmas present to us some years ago and is used every day.

Take care.

Sharing my experiences.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi I am so glad you are still posting. If it weren't for you I would not have gone to Dr. K. 6 times and started seeing progress. Thank you thank you thank you.
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

According to Consumer Reports, via engadget:
"And this time, it's not just that the Breeze doesn't work, as CR charged in 2003. The magazine's latest study charges that the units actually make air quality worse, by releasing excess ozone into the air -- something that can cause serious respiratory problems, especially for asthmatics or other people with breathing concerns (who, not incidentally, are among the biggest purchasers of air purifiers)."

Ideally, you want both. I have a second-home in a humid/mouldy climate that bothers my allergies sometimes, but the HEPA filter makes some rooms obviously better to breathe in than others. So it's demonstrably doing SOMETHING. I don't run it when I'm not there; when I arrive, it takes ten or twelve hours to make a difference, but after that it manages to "keep up" running on its near-silent lowest setting indefinitely.

Just sharing other's experiences. [Smile]

Cobweb
Unregistered

I think they can now use the purchase of an ionizer against you in a sanity hearing. [Wink]
posted by Kensational at 5:45 PM on October 15

So that's why they're 'coming to take me away HaHa'

GiGi
Member # 259

http://www.sharinghealth.com/beckprotocol/ow.html

Take care.

P.S. We use PUR filtered water and ozonate it.
Or just good clean purified water.

Cobweb
Unregistered

Yes, Take Care- A lot of care-look before you leap:

FTC Compromises Cancer Quackery in Mesquite
By Daniel R. Barnett
Jaguar Enterprises, a small company that has set up shop in the Texas town of Mesquite, has just been reined in by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for making some big claims about some little gadgets.
An ongoing FTC project called "Operation Cure.All" targets distributors of health-related supplements and devices suspected of making unfounded medical and safety claims for health-related products advertised on the Internet.

On June 14, 2001, the FTC announced enforcement actions against six distributors, including Jaguar Enterprises, who were accused of violating the Federal Trade Commission Act by making false or misleading claims about various dietary supplements and medical devices. The announcement marked the fourth group of targeted enforcement actions produced by Operation Cure.All.

Jaguar Enterprises, which is owned and operated by Michael Forrest, sold many devices based on the work of Robert C. Beck, DSc, a physicist who claims that blood electrification is an effective treatment (if not an outright cure) for many serious ailments.

Beck devices sold by Jaguar Enterprises included the Black Box, advertised by Jaguar as being able to "reverse many 'incurable' viral & bacterial conditions, including AIDS, Cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Gastritis, Herpes, Hepatitis, Lupus, Gulf War Syndrome (GWS), & Rheumatoid Arthritis." According to Jaguar's on-line literature, the Black Box emits an alternating polarity signal in a user-defined strength of 1/4 Hz, 4 Hz, and 100 Hz. The signal supposedly inhibits viruses from penetrating into cells where they can reproduce, making it easier for the immune system to expel them from the body.

Jaguar also sold a Magnetic Pulser, credited by the company with neutralizing viruses and bacteria with a strong magnetic pulse produced by the device every 5 seconds. The pulses, when administered as directed by Jaguar, supposedly induced an electric current that allegedly circulated lymph fluid and knocked out microbial nasties plaguing the user. For people with cancer and herpes, Jaguar recommended the Magnetic Multi-Pulser, which emanated a stronger bipolar 5 kHz magnetic field every second.

In addition to the Beck devices, Jaguar sold various instruments based on the work of Royal Raymond Rife (1888-1971), who claimed that cancer was caused by bacteria and that such bacteria could be destroyed by specific radio waves. Jaguar provided testimonials from people who claimed that use of their own version of the Rife Frequency Generator was providing effective relief for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis, stroke, and certain cancers.

Medical science has yet to confirm any of the claims touted by Jaguar Enterprises concerning its devices, and Jaguar has yet to produce a list of competent clinical studies demonstrating the alleged curative properties of these devices. This fact prompted the FTC to take action against Jaguar for using "false and misleading" advertisements to sell their products.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often, those that end up being investigated by some government agency or end up on Quackbusters are some of the most interesting options available. Anything that threatens big-pharma is going to be met with resistance. I would review and research each potential option on its own merit. If we go only with what the government endorses, where would we be? If we go only with what many suggest meets the definition of Lyme disease, where would any of us be?

SOTA does have great stuff and if they had the ozonator available now, I would consider getting one. Unfortunately, it is not coming until next year...

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does ozonated water make you herx? also, what's a good alternative ozonator option, now that sota apparently no longer sells them?

thanks.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by heiwalove:
does ozonated water make you herx? also, what's a good alternative ozonator option, now that sota apparently no longer sells them?

thanks.

A good alternative ozonator option for the past present and future is to BREATHE and BREATHE DEEPLY.

Too bad it's the insurance companies dictating health care . Every body either wants to make money or save money at the expense of the patient.
[Frown]

sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you are not off the mark with that one, Cobby!

I know pts. who, with proper breathing can increase their O2 saturation to 100%.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I mentioned breathing as an exercise.

How many of us breath by raising our ribs instead of using our stomach muscles to breathe properly?

Ozone, taken improperly, is toxic.

Research.

GiGi
Member # 259

Sota told me today that they will have their new model in Spring, 2008.

Take care.

GiGi
Member # 259

"A good alternative ozonator option for the past present and future is to BREATHE and BREATHE DEEPLY."

Yes, breathing is a good activity as long as a person is able to do it, physically. I needed all the added help from these gadgets at one time. And now I have become so used to my two three drinks of cool ozonated water. Somehow it also tastes better. Maybe because it is cleaner?

"Freshly Ozonating Water:

Ozone is a form of oxygen--an unstable form. Stable oxygen that we breathe in every day is O2. Ozone is O3 so there is an extra electron looking to pair itself. This instability is what makes ozone a universal cleanser. Lightning creates ozone and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in our atmosphere and in our waters to help cleanse our planet. O3 breaks down in water to H2O and O2.

Ozone is widely used in Europe for purifying drinking water and swimming pools. Ozone is also used to purify bottled waters. Ozone is used extensively in medicine in Germany and Cuba by either infusing it or injecting it directly into the blood stream. In medical applications: "It is the aim of ozone-oxygen therapy to stimulate or reactivate oxygen metabolism, without damage to the protecting oxidative enzymes..."

In countries where ozone is used extensively to cure diseases, that maximum is well understood. Ozone is inexpensive especially in comparison to pharmaceuticals. This is the most likely reason the North American medical system blocks the use of ozone.

Ozone at higher levels in the atmosphere helps protect our planet. Ozone in the air at ground level, however, has a bad name as it is associated with air pollution. When air is heavily polluted ozone forms in an effort to clean the air. Remember ozone is nature's most powerful cleanser. Ozone is hard on lungs so it is not a good idea to breathe in too much ozone.

"...oxygen is the most important healing substance, the most effective detox agent, the premium blood cleanser, the most potent antibiotic, a versatile hormone, a blood clotter and declotter, and the conductor of the orchestra of the immune system."

Why then is the use of ozone so controversial? Ozone's extra electron makes it suspect in some circles as a free radical. Free radicals are formed naturally within our bodies to clean up toxins and carry them out of our systems. Free radicals are often formed in excess today as a result of environmental pollutants as well as diets heavy in sugars and rancid oils. These excess free radicals snatch electrons from healthy molecules and are considered a primary cause of aging. The body needs help to supply these free radicals with electrons. Once satisfied with an electron, they can be eliminated from the body before they do further harm. Ozone satisfies free radicals by providing the needed electrons. Ozone is a free radical scavenger.

Certain vitamins and minerals have been named `antioxidants.' This makes it sound like it is a good idea to reduce oxygen! We need all the oxygen we can get as the amount of oxygen in the air is much reduced today than it was: "Many scientists were stunned recently when it was revealed that air bubbles trapped in fossilized amber had been analyzed and found to contain oxygen levels of 38%. Yet today it is well known that the average oxygen content of air is only 19% to 21%. In other words, since the early history of the earth, it appears there has been a whopping 50% drop in the average oxygen content of air we breathe!"

Vitamins and minerals do help protect the body from harmful free radicals but it is misleading when they are referred to as `antioxidants.' Free radical protectors would be a more accurate term--and remember excess free radicals are created by pollution not oxygen.

To repeat, ozone helps mop up free radicals. Dr. Majid Ali has extensive experience with oxygen therapies--including ozone. He has discovered that ozone is effective as a medical therapy because it acts to protect in the same way the `antioxidants' do. He describes this process in his latest book, Oxygen and Aging.

Our bodies desperately need more oxygen. Cancer cells, for instance, can only grow in an anaerobic or oxygen-deficient environment. In Ozone, The Eternal Purifier of the Earth and Cleanser of All Living Beings, H.E. Sartori describes the results of live-blood analysis using phase contrast and darkfield microscopy after ozone was injected into a terminal lung cancer patient. Red blood cell membranes were strengthened; the immune system was strengthened; all pathogens including bacteria, viruses and fungi were removed. He concludes, "Ozone purifies blood by eliminating foreign materials."

The Beck Protocol includes adding ozone to a glass of cold water to increase the amount of oxygen in the water before we drink it. This is not a medical procedure. The purpose is to simply flush toxins from the system more quickly."

Take care.

Just sharing.

sizzled
Member # 1357

Ozone therapies administered by professionals, such as injections are different from drinking water that is 'superoxygenated'.

I have a hard time understanding how H2O can hold onto an extra oxygen molecule long enough to get into your cells.

I have seen bottles being sold in stores claiming 'super oxygenated' water.

Drinking water is a great way to detox and flush toxins out. That is common sense.

Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sizzled:
Actually, you are not off the mark with that one, Cobby!

I know pts. who, with proper breathing can increase their O2 saturation to 100%.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I mentioned breathing as an exercise.

How many of us breath by raising our ribs instead of using our stomach muscles to breathe properly?

Ozone, taken improperly, is toxic.

Research.

I agree with you 100% Sizzled.
sizzled
Member # 1357

When you don't feel well you have a tendency to not breath deeply or well.

This is why post-operatively, pts. are told by those annoying Respiratory therapists to breath into a tube and take several deep breaths while they are recovering.

It prevents pneumonia, oxygenates the blood, leading to faster recovery.

Breathing. It's free.

Cobweb
Unregistered

If it's free-it's for me! [Big Grin]
Looking
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looking     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
International Society for Horticultural Science

ANTIMICROBIAL EFFECT OF COLD OZONATED WATER WASHING ON FRESH-CUT LETTUCE
Authors: B.S. Kim, J.Y. Kwon, K.H. Kwon, H.S. Cha, J.W. Jeong, G.H. Kim

Abstract:

A cold ozonated water wash treatment was assessed for its antimicrobial activity against natural microflora and spiked pathogenic bacteria on fresh-cut leafy lettuce. The strains used for this study were Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium, Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus.

The cold ozonated water was prepared by dissolving gaseous ozone in cold water (2�C) made by an ice-slurry system. Tap water and chlorinated water (100 mg/L and 200 mg/L) were also treated and compared with ozonated water treatment (0 ~ 10 mg/L).

All pathogenic bacteria decreased by 99% within 1 minute of treatment with 5 mg/L ozonated water.

For total cell counts and coliform counts, 3 mg/L ozonated water was optimal by causing 3 ~ 4 log reduction, which was similar to the result achieved by 100 mg/L chlorinated water.

This study suggests that cold ozonated water washing treatment can be a useful means for eliminating microorganisms on fresh-cut vegetables such as a lettuce in order to enhance microbiological safety.
--------------------------------

With all the contaminated produce recalls of late, wouldn't it be great to have ozonated water to wash your veggies with?

Looking

Posts: 590 | From Canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Restaurants have used ozonaters in their refrigerators for years to keep their produce, etc. from deteriorating due to fungi and bacteria.
Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use ozone packs on my oxygen generator with my steam tent. The ozone/oxygen is many times more powerful than just the steam tent by itself.

This is one of the best ways I've found to detox that I can actually say I feel better afterwards. Of course your head stays outside of the steam tent as you don't want to breathe ozone.

GiGi ~ is there a way to use the ozone packs (oxygen/ozone is released from a small rubber hose) in a glass of drinking water?

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Sandy, I do not know. Inquire where you got it.

I do know that the ozonated water I have been doing for years with the same Sota device, even a cup full, opens up a few detox channels. In fact, it is wise to go slow with it when starting out.

That would probably be the same - go slow - with
your tent, Sandy. And think of binding agents before and after for whatever does not exit via skin.

I have learned that with literally everything one does to stir up the system - you have to prepare before and mop up after.

Have a nice day everyone.

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking,

I am so impressed with your information.

I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and I do worry about bacteria. Of course I wash them first, but I worry if I'm being effective on the soft veggies that you can't scrubb.

What product should I buy to wash my veggies with this scientifically studied method of killing the bacteria?

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

I am not against the research that has been done with ozone therapy.

I AM skeptical about buying expensive machines claiming to make ozone or ozone products.

Ozone is cheap to make. Very cheap.

And yes, there is scientific evidence that using ozone can clean veggies. Better than bleach? Vinegar?

Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by luvs2ride:
Looking,

I am so impressed with your information.

I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and I do worry about bacteria. Of course I wash them first, but I worry if I'm being effective on the soft veggies that you can't scrubb.

What product should I buy to wash my veggies with this scientifically studied method of killing the bacteria?

Luvs

Vinegar for cleaning fruits and veggies
Create your own vegetable-cleaning spray by filling a spray bottle with one-part vinegar and two-parts water. Put your fruits and vegetables in a colander and spray them well to remove germs. Rinse with cold water and your food is ready to eat.

Voila!

sizzled
Member # 1357

Cobby, [kiss]
sizzled
Member # 1357

Oxygenation Therapy:
Unproven Treatments for Cancer and AIDS
By Saul Green, Ph.D.
The cornerstone of oxygenation therapy is the presumption that human disease, including cancer, is caused by a deficit of tissue oxygen. According to proponents, hypoxia results in anaerobic fermentation, a loss of capacity for oxidative detoxification of toxins and metabolic products, and failure of immune killing of invading bacteria and viruses. To restore ability to carry out these functions, oxygenation promoters propose using chemicals they claim will release oxygen in tissue or act as germicides in vivo. Some of the claims are based on the concepts of William F. Koch (1885-1962) [1] and Otto Warburg (1883-1970) [2].

History of Oxygen Therapies
William F. Koch, a Detroit physician, theorized in 1919 that cancer was caused by a metabolic defect brought on by a single toxin produced by an injury or irritation. He proposed that toxins produced during metabolism and by bacteria were normally burned off during oxidation of carbohydrates. If the toxins persisted, they damaged the toxin-burning system and converted a normally present "harmless germ" into a virulent cancer-causing one. To cure cancer, Koch invented an "antitoxin to cancer" which he said was a mixture of an oxidizing catalyst he called glyoxylide (O=C=C=O) and a chemical called l:4 parabenzoquinone. A one-million-fold dilution [3] of this solution was given to patients by injection every six months, to "stimulate all the body's oxidation reactions to cure the cancer and a host of other diseases." Koch never revealed the process for the manufacture of glyoxylide, nor did he show it to exist.

Does Koch's glyoxylide exist? The molecule glyoxylide has been a subject of investigation by chemists including H. Staudinger in 1913 [4] to Berson in 1986 [5]. Recently Sulzle [6] reviewed the literature and considered the theoretical possibilities for the existence of a compound like glyoxylide. He found that all efforts to prepare, isolate, or chemically identify this compound failed. His studies on the theoretical physical chemistry of glyoxylide showed that the substance described by Koch cannot exist in nature. This, along with Jenssen's failure to find anything in Koch's "medicine" [3], confirms the conclusion that the glyoxylide which Koch claims to have invented did not exist.

Otto Warburg professed that the cancer problem could be solved if one could identify a biochemical difference between the energy-producing systems of normal cells (controlled growth) and cancer cells (uncontrolled growth.) His research with tissue slices [7] led to the discovery of oxygen-transferring enzymes in cellular respiration, and for this he won a Nobel Prize (1931). In 1944 he won a second Nobel Prize for identifying the enzymes that transfer hydrogen in metabolism [8]. But his research never showed that oxygen use by normal and cancer cells was different. What he did find was that cancer cells produced lactate from glucose in the presence of oxygen whereas normal cells only produced lactate from glucose in the absence of oxygen. This observation led him to conclude that energy metabolism in cancer cells was defective [9].

By 1960, research had identified nearly all energy-producing metabolic pathways in both normal and cancer cells and showed that energy-producing systems in normal cells were the same as those found in cancer cells [10]. Despite this, Warburg insisted until his death in 1970 that the cause of cancer was "inferior" energy of anaerobic metabolism [9].

Oxygenation proponents follow the lines of Koch and of Warburg. They claim that toxins that adulterate processed foods, the environment, and medications damage the oxidative metabolism of normal cells which then regress into anaerobic metabolism in which an inferior energy is produced, resulting in cancer. Normal functions such as digestion, elimination, and immune function are also claimed to benefit from treatment with pure, all-natural, poison-free nutrients, vitamin and mineral supplements, and oxygen-yielding substances that restore and replenish the oxygen needed by tissues for burning off toxins. Hydrogen peroxide and ozone are the substances recommended. [11-13]

Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 [14], was discovered in 1818. It is present in nature in trace amounts. Hydrogen peroxide is unstable, it decomposes violently when in direct contact with rough surfaces or traces of organic or particulate matter. Light, agitation, heating, or chemical substances like carbonates, proteins, chlorides, charcoal, and iron all accelerate the rate of hydrogen peroxide decomposition in solution. One volume of 30% hydrogen peroxide solution will yield 100 volumes of oxygen gas when it decomposes. At 30-35 %, so-called "food grade" hydrogen peroxide is caustic, producing severe skin burns. It can start a fire if allowed to dry on a combustible surface.

Among the earliest proponents of the use of hydrogen peroxide as a treatment for degenerative diseases like cancer was Father Richard Willhelm, [15]. In the 1940's, while working with a microbiologist at the Mayo Clinic, he "learned that bacteria can gnaw at the joints, cause inflammatory arthritis, give off calcium waste that cements bones together, lodge in the liver and kidney and form stones, leave hard deposits on walls of arteries, short circuit the energy in the brain, cut off the blood supply to cells and cause a loss of oxidative metabolism." [15] From Koch and Warburg's work he heard that "cancer doesn't like oxygen," and because he knew that hydrogen peroxide gave off oxygen when it decomposed, he concluded that it should be used to treat diseases which were the result of "inadequate oxygen metabolism." Willhelm referred to hydrogen peroxide as "God's given immune system." [15]

Willhelm met Walter Grotz, a retired US postal system employee, in 1982. When Grotz complained about the pain that his arthritic condition was causing, Willhelm suggested that each day for several weeks Grotz drink from l to 7 glasses of pure water to which a few drops of "food grade" 35% hydrogen peroxide had been added. Grotz said that doing this made him pain free, and he became Willhelms disciple. As a result of their travels, spreading word about peroxide, peroxide became popular for many other uses such as misting flowers, disinfecting aquariums, oxygenating garden soil, bathing pets, treating livestock and fowl, and washing vegetables and farm crops [16]. Most often however it was promoted as a treatment for human illness because, as Willhelm put it, "hydrogen peroxide joyfully relieves asthma, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, emphysema, cancer, the common cold, herpes, candidiasis, angina, malaria, gingivitis, tumors, warts, lupus, psoriasis, moles, amoebiasis and hemorrhoids." [l6,17]

Proponents [11,12] also suggested that patients treat themselves at home by drinking hydrogen peroxide, using it for brushing their teeth, enemas, high colonics, or douches, soaking in a bath with it, or massaging it into the skin. Instructions for preparing the peroxide to be drunk are given in newsletters from "health food" companies that sell what is called "food grade" hydrogen peroxide [18]. One proponent states [18] that it takes one week to "clean out" both the "good and bad" flora in the stomach: "When hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with virus and streptococcus (the bad flora) in your stomach, it liberates free oxygen. If your stomach feels queasy after you drink the (peroxide) solution, the peroxide is seeking out and destroying virus and streptococci. The normal flora, the good ones, can then be replaced by eating plain yogurt and health food supplements that contain acidophilus, bifidus and bulgaricus."

Proponents suggest that hydrogen peroxide can also be administered by soaking for 30 minutes each day in half a bathtub of water containing a pint of 35% "food grade" peroxide, by spraying a 3% solution of "food grade" hydrogen peroxide on ones body, massaging it into the skin three times a day, and by rubbing a gel containing 35% "food grade" hydrogen peroxide, glycerin, and Aloe Vera into the skin [18]. Wilhelm describes a "do it yourself" recipe for making hydrogen peroxide pills for those who are unable to drink it. It calls for mixing baking soda and food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide, allowing the mixture to dry overnight and placing the pulverized powder into capsules. The patient takes three pills per day [11].

Another proponent proposes intravenous infusion of hydrogen peroxide as oxidative therapy [l3]. "There is no distinct class of patients that are [sic] best suited for intravenous hydrogen peroxide therapy because of the wide variety of pathological conditions that improve from oxidative detoxification, the oxygenation of hypoxic tissues and the stimulation of the immune system that an intravenous infusion of hydrogen peroxide induces. Specific benefits are seen in patients with peripherovascular, cerebrovascular and cardiovascular diseases, arrhythmias, emphysema, asthma, cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson's disease, migraine, cluster and vascular headaches, allergies, and pain. There may even be a reversal of atherosclerosis due to the action of the peroxide on the lipid material in blood vessel walls" [13,19].

In directions for injecting hydrogen peroxide intravenously one is instructed to prepare 100 ml aliquots of sterile l5% hydrogen peroxide infusion solution made from 30% "food grade" hydrogen peroxide and sterile water to be stored frozen in sealed vials. For injection, the stock is diluted with 5% dextrose to give the final 0.075 % product [19].

Ozone
Ozone was discovered and named by Schonbein in l839. It is formed when an electric spark or ultra-violet (UV) light splits an oxygen molecule into two highly reactive oxygen atoms. Each of these combines with intact oxygen to form the tri-atomic ozone, O3. Ozone is one of the most powerful natural oxidizing agents known because of the highly reactive free radicals it generates on decomposition. These free radicals can destroy many natural biological substances [20]. The discovery of inert plastics made ozones medical applications possible. In the late 1930's, German doctors began to use it in experiments on patients who had a variety of infections and wounds [20-22]. Ozone gas might be bubbled directly into the patients blood, it might be bubbled into blood taken from the patient after which the blood would be re-infused, it might be bubbled into a solution to be used in an enema, colonic irrigation, or douche, or it might be pumped directly into the rectum. Except for situations in which ozone was used topically, the determination of effectiveness was depicted by patient testimonials.

When ozone is introduced into blood, it reacts with water in red cells producing hydrogen peroxide. This aqueous decomposition of ozone also produces bactericidal and membrane-damaging free radicals [21]. Ozone used for treatment [24] is prepared by creating an electric spark in a chamber of pure oxygen. The final mixture contains between 0.l and 5.0% ozone, concentrations that are equivalent to from l.0 ppm to 50 ppm ozone in pure oxygen.

Ozone generated this way has a half life of 45 minutes at room temperature, and under ideal conditions of sterility, dryness, and cleanliness, it must be prepared on site each time it is used. A two-hour exposure to 1200 ppm ozone is needed to kill microorganisms on open surfaces and in water [25]. Concentrations of ozone recommended are: for topical treatment of superficial wounds, 70 to 100 ppm; for slow-healing ulcers, between 40 and 70 ppm; and when oxygenating effects are needed to treat diseases associated with hypoxia, from l to 40 ppm [26].

Ozone has been proposed as a treatment for AIDS [24,27-29]. "Results of experiments indicate that medical ozone has the ability to inactivate extra-cellular HIV-l in serum-supplemented tissue culture fluids and to inhibit the growth of HIV-l at concentrations that are benign to cells in tissue culture." However, HIV is susceptible to inactivation by many relatively innocuous compounds, and claims for benefiting AIDS patients are unconfirmed [ 26,30,31].

In 1993 testimony before Senator Harkin's Subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee, Ed McCabe, a promoter of ozone, stated, "644 German ozone therapists successfully treated 384,775 patients with 5,579,238 doses of ozone with no ill effects. Thousands of published medical papers contain proof of ozones effectiveness in vivo. Numerous US physicians have converted hundreds of AIDS patients from HIV sero-positive to HIV sero-negative status using ozone. Help is available to AIDS patients right now but the medical establishment is ignoring it." [31] No evidence for the claims exist in reliable scientific literature.

Critique
Does anaerobic metabolism cause cancer?

In a 1961 monograph [10], Aisenberg reviewed and analyzed the subject of energy metabolism in normal and tumor tissues. He concluded that most carcinogens are not respiratory poisons; most respiratory poisons are not carcinogens; oxygen neither prevents nor inhibits cancer growth; tumor cells grow optimally in tissue culture dishes in atmosphere containing 20% oxygen; tumors grow rapidly in tissues that are well supplied with oxygenated blood; absence of oxygen does not stimulate tumor growth in vitro or in vivo; agents effective against cancer interfere with DNA synthesis, not with aerobic metabolism; tumors do not get a significant amount of their energy from anaerobic metabolism; tumors can and do produce energy by an oxygen-driven metabolism of fats and carbohydrates.

Since the mid 1960s, information amassed has identified cancer initiation, promotion, and progression. Alteration of genetic regulation through DNA damage, oncogene activation, and inhibitor dysregulation give rise to abnormally proliferating cancer cells. There is no evidence of "poisoning" in the respiratory enzyme systems of tumor tissues. Although Warburg discovered some differences in metabolism between normal and cancer cells, research did not bear out what he considered to be the "primary cause of cancer," i.e., the replacement of respiration by fermentation.[7].

How much of an effect can "oxidative therapy" have in treatment of disease?

The transfer of atmospheric oxygen in the lungs to tissues involves oxygen transport from alveoli to hemoglobin in red cells to tissue cells for use in oxidative metabolism. When oxygen is used as a drug, its pharmacological properties must be defined so that the hazards that attend its use can be monitored [32]. Under normal circumstances, each breath of air taken at sea level has a volume of about 500ml. Slightly less than 20% of this is oxygen. The pressure of air at sea level is 760 mm of mercury (Hg), and the partial pressure of oxygen is about l60 mm Hg. When inspired air reaches the alveoli, it mixes with the gases already present. The partial pressure of oxygen in the alveolar sac is about 100 mm of Hg. Since the partial pressure of oxygen in the pulmonary arteries in the alveolar membranes is about 40 mm of Hg, the oxygen in the alveoli diffuses across the alveolar membrane and into the venous blood. There it is taken up by red cell hemoglobin [32].

Under normal conditions, hemoglobin in blood leaving the lungs is 98% saturated with oxygen. The hemoglobin in one liter of blood can carry about 200 ml of oxygen, and about 50 ml of this is extracted each time it passes through tissue capillaries. The metabolism of a normal 60 kg adult requires delivery of between 200 and 250 ml of oxygen each minute [32]. Since the amount of hydrogen peroxide that is infused into a patient during one "oxidative therapy" session, yields a total of 100 ml of oxygen per day, the treatment can make no significant contribution ones oxygen requirements [33].

Is hydrogen peroxide bactericidal and viricidal?

Phagocytosis is the principal mechanism for the removal of pathological bacteria and fungi [34]. Activated phagocytic cells are drawn to the site of infection, attach to the infectious organisms, and ingest them. The killing of the organisms takes place inside the phagocytic cell. Enzymes generate superoxide free radicals which are fused by superoxide dismutase to produce hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes cellular chloride in the cell to the killing chloride free radical.

Proponents of oxidative therapy propose that hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria because of their low levels of peroxide-destroying enzymes. But there is no evidence of oxygen intolerance in anaerobic organisms. Although proponents allude to a variety of antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-parasitic actions of hydrogen peroxide [13], they admit that no peroxide-related germicidal activity is found when hydrogen peroxide is infused into patients infected with a variety of organisms [19]. The absence of hydrogen peroxide bactericidal activity has been confirmed by independent investigators [35]. For instance, there is no bactericidal when hydrogen peroxide is infused into blood of rabbits infected with peroxide-sensitive E. coli.

Moreover, increasing the concentration of peroxide ex-vivo in rabbit or human blood containing E.coli produced no evidence of bactericidal activity. Lack of effect of high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide was directly related to the presence of the peroxide-destroying enzyme, catalase. To have any effect, high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide would have to be in contact with the bacteria for significant periods of time. But the large amounts of hydrogen peroxide-destroying enzymes normally present in the blood makes it impossible for peroxide to exist in blood for more than a few seconds. One must conclude that hydrogen peroxide introduced into the blood stream by injection or infusion cannot act as a germicide in human blood.

Hydrogen peroxide does participate in the bactericidal processes within activated phagocyte cells. But when it escapes from the cells into the adjacent extra-cellular space during the inflammatory process, it becomes a major contributor to the tissue damage seen in lung disease, malignancies, and hemolysis. The presence of pharmacological concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in the blood is clearly a double-edged sword which can easily cause as much harm as it can cause good [36].

Can infused hydrogen peroxide raise blood oxygen levels?

Hemoglobin in red cells of arterial blood gives up about 25% of its oxygen when it passes through the tissues, so the hemoglobin of the venous blood leaving the tissues is oxygen-poor. When hydrogen peroxide is injected into venous blood, the oxygen released by the action of catalase is taken up by oxygen-poor hemoglobin. When this venous blood reaches the lungs, it is carrying more oxygenated-hemoglobin than normal. Less oxygen from inspired air is required to saturate it. When arterial blood leaves the lungs it is almost fully (98%) saturated with oxygen and so it becomes impossible for the intravenous infusion of hydrogen peroxide advocated by "oxygenation" proponents to further increase the amount of oxygen carried to the tissues.

The infusion of hydrogen peroxide into arterial blood is a completely different situation. A theoretical model [37] predicts the effects of an infusion of a hydrogen peroxide solution into arterial blood. Hemoglobin in arterial blood is already saturated with oxygen, so the oxygen released from hydrogen peroxide would not be taken up by hemoglobin. Therefore it would go into plasma. But the process of solution is slow, so undissolved oxygen gas could linger in the blood as bubbles for as long as 30 minutes. In the model, Johnson used 0.12% peroxide to produce a final level of 0.006 volumes peroxide per 100 ml in rabbit blood. Although this amount of hydrogen peroxide released 3.0 ml of oxygen gas in every 100 ml of arterial blood, most of the gas could be taken up by the small amount of unsaturated hemoglobin (2%) in the arterial blood. If however, the hydrogen peroxide content of the blood was doubled, 6.0 ml of oxygen gas would be generated per 100 ml of blood, and this could not be handled by available hemoglobin. Undissolved arterial oxygen would then create gas embolism. Consistent with this prediction for peroxide levels higher than 0.006 volumes percent, Johnson found that at 0.01 volumes 0.12% peroxide, oxygen gas embolism resulted in complete shut down of capillary blood flow in the treated rabbits. [37]

Can oxygen dissolved in the plasma support metabolic needs?

When little or no unsaturated hemoglobin is present,100 ml of plasma at100 mm of ambient (alveolar) oxygen pressure can hold 0.3 ml of oxygen in simple solution. This means that the total amount of oxygen that could be dissolved in all of the plasma in a 60 kg adult, would be about 20 ml. Since there is no physiologic mechanism by which oxygen dissolved in the plasma can be extracted, and since tissues require 200 to 250 ml of oxygen per minute [28], the 20 ml of oxygen dissolved in plasma can be of little use in relieving tissue hypoxia or for supporting aerobic energy metabolism [14,32,33].

Is ingestion or infusion of hydrogen peroxide safe?

At the end of his paper on how to infuse hydrogen peroxide intravenously, Farr cautions that the capacity of the lungs to allow gas embolism diffusion is limited. A continuous infusion of peroxide that results in 0.01 volume per 100 ml blood can cause an arterial gas embolism and irreversible lung damage [19]. That such adverse reactions do occur is clear from reports in the medical literature. These incidents include: oxygen gas emboli, necrosis and gangrene following peroxide enemas or colonic lavage [37-41,]; emphysema following peroxide mouth wash or gargle [42]; and ulcerative colitis, gas embolism, and emphysema following deep wound irrigation [43-45]. Peroxide ingestion results in respiratory arrest, seizures, gas embolism in the portal circulation, shock, and acute hemolysis. [46-48] Stroke and multiple cerebral infarcts [49] and venous embolism follow irrigation of anal fistula and irrigation of surgical wounds [20]. In contrast, the literature published by proponents of oxygenation therapy contain no report of adverse clinical incidents resulting from ingestion or infusion of hydrogen peroxide.

Is ozone effective against HIV?

In 1991, Wells et al [25] reported that gaseous ozone inactivated cell-free HIV-l in cell-free culture medium. Using escalating concentrations of ozone, they showed that a l200 ppm dose delivered into the solution for two hours, reduced the number of infectious viruses by about l011 and reduced detectable virions about 85%. However, there was also a significant reduction in infectivity after virus exposure to nitrogen. Other factors influencing the rate and degree of inactivation of HIV-I by ozone were protein and plasma components in the culture medium. (HIV is known to be inactivated by a host of relatively inactive substances.) While ozone might be useful in rendering commercial blood products free of infectious organisms, more extensive analyses of the HIV-I life cycle was needed before ozone's usefulness as an in vivo anti-retroviral agent could be defined. Poiesz, Wells' co-author, wrote, " No further in vitro work has been done and to my knowledge no in vivo work has been done." [50]

Carpendale and Freeberg [28] studied the effect of 4 ppm ozone on HIV-l suspensions in vitro. Ozone was rapidly degraded by serum components in the culture medium. They theorized that the virus inactivation must have been caused by unknown ozone reaction products. Reaction products of ozone and fatty acids called ozonides have been studied, and some are known to mimic the cellular effects of ozone [51,52]. But Carpendale et al did not report on the effects of ozonides on HIV in suspension.

Does autohemotherapy kill or inactivate HIV-I ?

Ozone has been used to treat infections for nearly 50 years. For the most part the treatments were based on impressions from uncontrolled anecdotal clinical experiences reported in German newspapers, magazines, and proponent newsletters. With the coming of the AIDS pandemic in the 1980s, some physicians offered ozone treatment. Organizations began promoting the medical use of ozone at international meetings. The majority of the papers presented at these meetings referred to the germicidal activity of high concentrations of ozone in vitro, but no convincing evidence was presented that autohemotherapy with ozone at concentrations ranging from 0.l to 5.0 ppm had an effect against HIV in AIDS patients.

In 1991, Garber et al [53] carried out the first well controlled clinical study of auto-hemotherapy for AIDS. These investigators first tested for safety in a Phase I trial and found no toxicity after 12 weeks of treatment. In the Phase II trial which followed, AIDS patients were entered into a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded program designed to compare the effects of unprocessed or ozone-enriched blood infused intermittently over a period of 8 weeks. All patients had CD-4 T-cell counts between 200-400 cells/ul. The results showed that ozonated blood produced no significant hematologic, biochemical, or clinical toxicological effects when compared with controls. CD-4 T-cell counts, interleukin 2, gamma interferon, beta-2 microglobulin , neopterin, and p-24 antigen were unaltered. These results have been replicated and confirmed by independent investigators [54].

In May 1995, the 12th World Congress of the International Ozone Association convened in Lille, France. Of the 42 papers presented, none addressed the effectiveness of autohemotherapy in the treatment of AIDS [55]. In August, 1995, Prof. V. Bocci, one of the organizers of that meeting, wrote:

My positon is based on theoretical grounds that ozone autohemotherapy may be useful only because there is no valid alternative. From a practical point of view I have great difficulty organizing clinical trials. I have frequently expressed my deep concern over the irresponsible, uncontrolled, and unscrupulous information that is being spread around. You must understand that I am not responsible for what is being done or said by people in the U.S. Personally, my interest is in investigating whether properly performed autohemotherapy can be useful for the treatment of chronic viral diseases and other pathologies. As of this time there is no evidence of its validity [56].

In reviewing the clinical histories of AIDS patients who were being treated with ozone, H. S. Fuessl, leading German AIDS specialist [57], states:

After observing ozone treated AIDS patients for long periods of time, we noted that patients who had just started on the ozone therapy showed some increases in CD-4 T-cell counts. But a few weeks later their CD-4 T-cell counts not only returned to their original low levels but in many cases went lower as the clinical picture clearly worsened. Two patients died before our eyes from opportunistic infections soon after beginning the ozone therapy. Those of us who treat HIV infected patients on a daily basis recognize that monitoring the changes of the CD-4 T-cell counts over a short period of time, does not accurately reflect the effect of the treatment or the prognosis of the patient. After following a number of AIDS patients that were receiving ozone therapy, I recognized that increases in the CD-4 T-cell counts could occur in any patient, at any time. But it did not mean that HIV was being killed or that the infection was being arrested. In spite of this knowledge, CD-4 T-cell counts are still the primary diagnostic and prognostic tools used by ozone therapists. (translated from the German by S. Green)

Is autohemotherapy approved by German medical authorities?

Autohemotherapy proponents refer to the widespread use of this treatment in Germany, implying that it is sanctioned by the German medical establishment. Dr. Barbara Burkhard of the Medical Office of Patients Insurance-Bavaria (Munich, Germany) writes, "Ozone therapy is not approved by the medical establishment in our country. The National Health Insurance (Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung) is not allowed to pay for it. In the book of laws on this subject (Sozial Gesetzbuch V), the obligations for insurance institutions are fixed. They are only required to pay for methods that are in accordance with generally accepted medical knowledge and which have made proven contributions in medicine. Doctors who have contracts with health insurance companies only get reimbursement for treatments that are approved by the Bundesausschub der Artz und Krankenkassen. This committee is governed by social insurance regulations and issues the rules for diagnostic and therapeutic medical methods. In an Appendix to their book of rules, methods not approved are listed. Ozone therapy is number 3 on that list." [58]

Are there adverse effects of the use of autohemotherapy?

As of 8/14/1995, a search of the Medline, Health, AIDSline, and Cancerlit databases back to 1966 turned up more than 100 papers citing adverse effects in humans or in experimental animals caused by ozone or ozone reaction products. There were no references to papers in peer-reviewed medical journals that reported beneficial effects when ozone was used as a treatment for viral infections.

How are AIDS patients sold ozone autohemotherapy?

The idea that infusion of ozone-treated blood can cure AIDS patients is being marketed despite is lack of efficacy. This was clear from the testimony of Mr. Ed McCabe, before Senator Harkin's subcommittee of the Committee on Appropriations, U.S. Senate, 1993 [31]. After accusing the medical establishment of intentionally ignoring an effective treatment for AIDS, McCabe declared that he had proof that help is available to AIDS patients right now and that thousands had been successfully treated. But McCabe did not give the Committee references by which his proof could be verified, and he did not identify any of the medical papers he said contained the evidence of autohemotherapy's effectiveness. He showed no proof that US physicians had converted hundreds of AIDS patients from HIV positive to HIV negative status through autohemotherapy; he did not identify how, where, or when he interviewed the "644 German ozone therapists who successfully treated the 384,775 patients with 5,579,238 ozone treatments." He did not provide evidence that autohemotherapy was clinically effective and resulted in long-term benefits.

Summary and Conclusion
Oxygenation therapists proposed that disease is caused by absence of oxygen and loss of cellular ability to use oxygen for "good energy" metabolism, detoxification, and immune system function. Oxygen therapies are proposed in order to restore the body's ability to produce "good" energy, to "detoxify" metabolic poisons, and to kill invading organisms. However, over the five decades that have passed since this concept was proposed, scientists have shown that:

Anerobic energy metabolism (fermentation) is not the cause of cancer.
Koch's glyoxylide does not exist.
Ingestion, infusion, or injection of hydrogen peroxide cannot re-oxygenate the tissues of the body.
Ozone-treated blood infused during autohemotherapy does not kill AIDS virus in vivo.
References
Koch, W.F. The Survival Factor in Neoplastic and Viral Diseases. The Inter. Oxid. Instit., Priest River, Idaho, 83856. 1921.
Warburg, Otto. Cell Physiologist, Biochemist and Eccentric-A Biography by Hans Krebs. Clarendon Press, Oxford. 1981.
Jenssen, W.F. Analysis of Koch Medicines. Anal. Chemist. 50:197A:1978.
Standinger H, Anthes E. Hypothetical molecule, ethendione. Ber Deutch Chem Ges 46:1426, 1913.
Birney DM, Berson JA. Theoretical calculations on glyoxylide. Tetrahedron 42:1561, 1986.
Sulzle D, Weiske T, Schwarz H. Experiments aimed at generating he long sought after glyoxilide by neutralization-reionization mass spectromtry. Int J. Mass Specctroscopy and Ion Processes 125:75, 1993.
Warburg, Otto. Ueber den Stoffwechsel der Tumoren. Springer, Berlin Translated by F. Dickens. Constable, London. 1936.
Warburg, Otto. The Catalytic Activity of Living Tissues. Springer, Berlin 1938.
Warburg, Otto. A Review. Science; l23:309-315:1956.
Aisenberg, A. The glycolysis and respiration of tumors. A Review. Academic Press , NY and London. 1961.
Borell G. The Peroxide Story-2nd Printing. ECHO. 1986.
Le Beau, C. Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy- New Hope for Incurable Disease. 3rd. Edition, revised.
Farr, C.H. Physiological and Biochemical Responses to Intravenous Hydrogen Peroxide in Man. J. Adv. Med. l:ll3-l29:1988.
Merck Index. llth Edition: p. 4725.
Personal Communication from Fr. Richard Willhelm. Enlightened Catholic Health Organization (ECHO). Naples, Florida. 1989.
Newsletter, The Oasis Purewater Company, San Diego, CA. 1988
Peroxide for Improved Health by T. Valentine, an interview with Fr. Richard Willhelm, SPOTLIGHT, August, 1986.
Donsbach, K. Nutrition in Action- A Newsletter. 2:1986. Distributed by Remco of Arizona Inc. Tucson.
Farr, C.H. A protocol and guidelines for safe IV administration of hydrogen peroxide. International Bioxidative Medicine Foundation, Dallas, Texas, 1987
Shah, J. Pedemonte, M.S. and Wilcock, M.M., Hydrogen peroxide may cause venous oxygen embolism. Anesthesiolgy. 6l:631-2:1984.
Ozone and Other Photochemical Oxidants: A Medical and Biologic Review of Environmental Pollutants. Committee of the N.R.C and the N.A.S. 1977.
Bocci, V. Ozonization of Blood for the Therapy of Viral Diseases and Immunodeficiencies. A Hypothesis. Medical Hypotheses. 39:30-34:1992.
Majchrowicz, M,A. Ozone/Oxygen- Treatment Education Program-AIDS Project. Los Angeles, CA 1994.
Carpendale, M.T.F., and Griffis, J. In: Ozone in Medicine. Proc. llth Ozone World Congress. 1993.
Wells, K.H., Latino, J. Gavalchin, J, and Poiesz, B.J. Inactivation of human immunodeficiency virus type I by ozone in vitro. Blood. 78:l882+l890:1991.
McCabe, E., Ozone Therapy for AIDS. AIDS Patient Care. p.254-255, Dec. 1992.
Internat. Ozone Assn. Pan American Committee, Stanford, CT.1993.
Carpendale, M.T.F. and Freeberg, J.K. Ozone inactivates HIV noncytoxic concentrations. Antiviral Res. l6:(199) 281-292:1991.
Carpendale, M.T.F. Does ozone alleviate AIDS diarrhea. J. Clin. Gastro. l7: 2: l42-l45: 1993.
Kief, H., Treatment of Viral Disease with Ozone. Erfahrungsheilkunde, 37:3:1988.
Alternative Medicine: A Hearing Before the Subcommittee of the Committee on Appropriations. US Senate, l03rd Congress, First Session, 1993. Senator Tom Harkin, Chairman.
Comroe, J.H. Jr., Drips R.D. A Monograph: The Physiological Basis for Oxygen Therapy. Charles C Thomas, Springfield Ill. 1950.
Moran, R.F. Oxygen saturation, content and the dyshemoglobins. Pt I. Ciba-Corning News, p.ll, January 1990.
Zinsser Microbiology, 18th Edition. Joklik, Willet, Amos. eds. Appleton, Century-Croft, Norwalk, Ct. 1984.
Shenep, J.L. Stokes, D.C, Hughs W.T. Lack of antibacterial activity after i.v. hydrogen peroxide infusion in experimental E. coli sepsis. Infect. and Immunity. 48:#3:607:1985.
Clifford, D., and Repine, J.E., Hydrogen peroxide mediated killing of bacteria. Mol. and Cellular Biochem. 49:l43-l49:;982
Johnson, R.J.R., Froese, G., Khodadad, M. and Gibson, D. Hydrogen peroxide and radiotherapy. Bubble formation in the blood. Brit. J. Radiol. 41:749: 1968.
Ludington, L.G., Hartman S.W., Keplinger, J.E. and Williams, F.S. Incomplete rupture of the colon following a hydrogen peroxide enema. Arch. Surg. 76:658-66l:1958.
Sellers, R.D., Reventos, J., Lillehei, R.C. and Lillehei, C.W. Cardiac arrest due to use of hydrogen peroxide with experimental study of effects of topical antibacterial agents upon the heart. Jour. Thoracic Cardiovasc. Surg. 44:l4-20:1962.
Shaw, A. Cooperman, A. and Fusco, J. Gas embolism produced by hydrogen peroxide. N.E.J.M. 277:238:1967.
Brodeur, A.E. Peroxide Lavage of Colon in Children Held Risky. Med. Tribune 7:1: Oct.1966.
Walker, J.E.G. Emphysema of soft tissues complicating endodontic treatment using hydrogen peroxide. Brit. Journ of Oral Surg l3:98-99: 1975.
Meyer C.T., Brand, M. Deluca, V.A. and Spiro, H., Hydrogen peroxide colitis: A report of three patients. J. Clin Gastro.3:31-35:1981.
Bassan, M. M. and Dudai, M. Shalev, O. Near fatal systemic oxygen embolism due to wound irrigation with hydrogen peroxide. Post Grad. Med. Journ 58:448-45l:1982.
Sleigh, J.W., Linter, S.P.K., Hazaards of hydrogen peroxide. Br. Med. Journ. 291:l706:1985.
Giberson, T.P., Kern, J.D., Pettigrew, D.W. Eaves, C.C. Haynes J.F. Near fatal hydrogen peroxide ingestion. Ann. Emergency Med.l8:778:1989.
Rackoff, W.R. and Merton, D.F. Gas embolism after ingestion of hydrogen peroxide. Pediatrics. 85:593-594:1990.
Jordan, K.S., Mackey, D. and Garvey E. A case review; acute hemolytic crisis secondary to i.v. injections of hydrogen peroxide. J. of Emerg. Nursing l7:8-10:1991.
Sherman, S.J. Boyer, L.V., Sibley, W.A. Cerebral infarction immediately after ingestion of hydrogen peroxide solution. Stroke.25:l065-l067:1994.
Poiesz, B. Personal communication to S. Green, 8/ 24/1995.
Rietjens, I.M.C.M., Lemmink, H.H., Alink, G.M., Van Bladeren, P.J. The role of glutathione-S-transferases in fatty acid ozonide detoxification. Chem. Biol. Interactions. 62: 3-14: 1987.
Cortesi, R. and Privett, O.S. Toxicity of fatty ozonides and peroxides. Lipids. 7:715:1972.
Garber G.E. Cameron D.W., Hawley-Foss, N. Greenway, D. and Shannon, M.E. The use of ozone treated blood in the therapy of HIV infection and immune disease; a pilot study of safety and efficacy. AIDS. 5:981-984:1991.
Hooker, M.H. and Gazzaard, B.G. Ozone treated blood in the treatment of HIV infection. AIDS. 6:l3l:1991.
Ozone in Medicine: Special Session, Programme -- May 1995. 12th World Congress of the Intern. Ozone Assn. Lille, France.
Bocci, V. Personal communication to S. Green 8/30/1995.
Fuessl H.S. Ozone for AIDS. Z. Allg. Med. 67:1334-1336:1991.
Burkhard, B. Personal communication to S. Green, 5/23/1995.
Vedhara, K., Nott K.H. and Richards S.M. Individual reliability of CD-4 cell counts. AIDS. 9:#1:98-99: 1995.
About the Author
Dr. Green is a biochemist who did cancer research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center for 23 years. He consults on scientific methodology and has a special interest in unproven methods. He can be reached at (212) 957-2029.

Copyright Notice
The original version of this article was published in the Spring/Summer 1998 issue of the Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine. (� 1997 Prometheus Books, all rights reserved).

GiGi
Member # 259

Yes, ozone applications will be discussed and debated for a while longer worldwide. In the meanwhile, I will be drinking my ozonated water to help me stay clean.

Reading the above text, I just remembered, I did have several auto-hemotherapy treatments. Apparently it must have done something positive for me.

If I have learned nothing else during my whole dis-ease process, it takes a multifactorial approach to heal any chronic disease, certainly Lyme, especially the "New Lyme" as Dr. K. refers
to it.

I hope you all will find what works for you as an individual.

Take care.

hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the title of this post and burst out laughing (sorry).

I just happened to be looking at an 1886, yes 1886 copy of the Farm Journal that someone had given my husband. And guess what was advertised as a cure - all. Yep, ozone water! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement