LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bright red, hot ear/neck/face

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bright red, hot ear/neck/face
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 5 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else have problems with this kind of thing? I'll have ONE ear turn bright red, sometimes even purple-ish.

It will burn and feel like it's on fire, plus it will throb with those internal vibrations. About 80% of the time, it will be only ONE ear.

My neck, chest and face will do and feel the same way.....but not necessarily at the same time. Sometimes it's just my neck or just my face or one ear.

People will ask me if I'm okay and I'll say "Let me tell you where you see RED right now!" It looks like I'm broken out in hives, or have a sunburn.

Sometimes this will happen completely out of the blue, sometimes it'll happen when I'm tired or emotionally upset or hot.

It's just unpredictable, bothersome, and painful. I'm 48 and had a complete hysterectomy back in 2002, so it's not just hormonal.

Any advice or feedback?

Thanks,

terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this happen, too - always on the right side. I think it's babs, as it seems to worsen when babs is flaring up for me. Right now, it's cleared up and I'm crossing my fingers that the babs is gone.

Just out of curiosity - have you tried taking your temp when this happens? I've noticed up to a 2 degree difference between the right and left ear when using an ear thermometer. Weird.

Hopefully someone will have advice for you, just wanted you to know that you're not alone, and that babs treatment seemed to help.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, me too! My problems are always on the left side.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Cactus! It IS nice to know I'm not alone!

No, I haven't checked for any temp. difference in my ears when this happens, but there HAS to be a difference!

But my hands can be like that, too. Right now, my right hand is ice cold and my left is normal. My feet are different, too. (We're all strange!)

When I was tested for babs, it came out neg., but I know that doesn't mean it's not there. Currently I'm waiting to do my IGeneX testing for Lyme.

I've been off the doxy for less than a week, and I'm scheduled to to the lab work on next Tuesday, which will be 12 days off abx.

I've tested twice through LabCorp - in Aug. and Sept. The 1st western blot showed 4 bands positive and the 2nd one showed 3 of those 4 bands positive.

I had the bulls-eye rash appear out of nowhere on Aug. 16 and my doctor has been treating me for Lyme based on that plus the rest of my sx.

My medical history would suggest Lyme has been part of the picture for at least a couple of years, but it could be coincidental. Who knows?

I know I felt better on the abx and I can't wait to start them again next week. Thanks for your input. I'm going to ask my doc about retesting for babs. I think it was done the 2nd time as well, but I'll see if we need to do it a 3rd time.

Take care,

terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it used to happen a lot more to my ears when I first started treatment. Now it rarely happens. It seemed to happen in early evening.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting this as long as I've been sick...three years; always in the evening, worse if I feel angry or stressed.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it be Lymphocytoma? It appears when the infection is active. I had this often when I was 1st ill and now occassionally

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/conf2007/burrascano1/img27.html

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happened to walk into my LLMD's office-with hot pink ears. Good timing.

It was her first observation-even warranted a "WOW-your ears are really bright pink!"

The only feedback I got though was "I've seen that in a lot of my lyme patients."

Cobby
ps-I would like to add that this is an especially attractive and noticeable feature for me because I was born with my ears folded over forward.

Once I popped out of the birth canal and they had room to unfold -they did so slightly without any creases or convolution.

This is only relevant to lyme disease in that it is really easy to spot a tick attached to a smooth ear -they can gorge-but they can't hide.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just one of those symptoms that makes me so self conscious. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

It comes and goes, no rhyme or reason. I hate it when someone asks me about it. I know when it's happening, so if I notice them sort of looking puzzled, I'll say something.

I'll say, "my _________ (ear/ears/face/nose/neck/chest) is red, isn't it?" I can show them where it's bright red without even looking in a mirror. It will be hot, burning and throbbing. It hurts enough to wear me out when it happens.

I know it sounds so petty, but when so many of our sx are "invisible," why does this sx have to be so honkin' obvious?!

There are so many other things we're all dealing with, so I'll quit complaining. I was just trying to gain a little insight into this annoying issue. [dizzy]

Thanks for listening,

terri3boys [Smile]

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get this reaction from contact with something I was allergic to or couldn't tolerate, such as gasoline, mold, or squid.

I don't get it much anymore, since strengthening my adrenals, and getting rid of much of my lyme load.

I react less to substances, and my cortisol levels are high enough to handle inflammation from what might otherwise have been a problem.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Hi bejoy,

I wish I had *some* idea about what was causing mine. The fact that it happens at different times, under different circumstances, makes no sense to me.

It's so aggravating! I'm so glad that yours subsided........thanks for your post!

terri3boys [confused]

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be your blood pressure is high. If you have access to a cuff, you should check it just to be on the safe side.

(I often had that in the early days, and my pressure was always crazy when I got the red ear. I'm on a beta blocker now.)

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The front of my neck does this. Often it will be itching at the same time - but not always. I haven't been able to find any rhyme or reason to this, but I do hate it. I've always found it interesting that pain in my right front neck is what sent me to the ER - and on the journey to my diagnosis - and that's where I get the burning flush. Since I went about 1 1/2 years w/out diagnosis, and had this symptom, for me it cannot be related to any drugs/treatments.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For years prior to being dx and for months after starting treatment, my face would just flush---a deep, hot red.

Often people commented, and I would feel self-conscious, which only seemed to exacerbate the symptoms.

After about 5 months of abx treatment for Lyme, Bart and Babs, the symptom disappeared.

Now, this only happens if I eat something I'm allergic to.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the really hot red face, ear, and neck flushing for about two years. People would say things like "boy you sure got some sun burn" or "why's your face so red".

It would feel really hot also but when I took my temp it was always below normal, in the 96.5 to 97.5 range. The hotter I felt the lower my temp would be.

But with treatment for the Lyme it began to lessen until to where now I don't get the really red face. I just get the hot flushed feeling and it doesn't happen near as often as in the past..

Posts: 142 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement