LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe Depression - what do you take while on antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe Depression - what do you take while on antibiotics?
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in a severe depression. I cannot take my own mind. It has been getting slowly worse, and it is not getting any better, I think it is because of being chronically ill, I have NO fight left, to go on to fight this disease.

I am seeing a new LLMD in the USA but dont have the money yet to get the tests done, I saw him once but now dont have money yet for tests at IGENEX, am on antibiotics the Minocycline for now.

I think this is the worst I have ever been in the depression category. I am seeing my own GP this week, and he may give me an antidepressant, he wanted me to try one months ago, I was afraid because of the interactions with antibiotics.

SO, I need one, and I need help from others on here that KNOW which antidepressant is safe to take with most antibiotics. One that does not affect the liver? is there such a thing?

I dont think I can go without one any longer.
I am in a horrible place in my mind, I cannot take it any longer, I try to hang on but I cannot take this dark place in my mind, it is terrible.

My Dr wanted me to go on Effexor months ago but I read that is is not safe with minocycline.

What is a good one while on antibiotics.

I was on St Johns Wort before, 3 years ago, and it was a saviour for me, I felt SO much better mentally, but had to go off it as it was interacting with my antibiotics.

I see my Dr on Thursday, and he is not a LLMD, but I am hoping he will refill the minocycline until I can get the tests done from the LLMD in the USA.

thanks,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have trouble sleeping I would recommend Trazodone. It does interact with Biaxin, however.

I'm not too keen on the SSRI's myself...Traz is a tricyclic.

I do hope you get some help in this matter. I NEVER could have made it through all this without an antidepressant. No way.

[group hug] Trish [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesperationIn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesperationIn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD prescribed cymbalta. I am taking it with a lot of antibiotics. It seems to be ok- I still get very down sometimes. But antidepressants take awhile to start working- ie at least a month or two for this one.

If you are worried about antibiotics and don't want to go the drug route for depression, get the book Feeling Good by David Burns. It is a wonderful cognitive therapy book and gives many techniques for fighting depression. These techniques can be successfully applied to chronic illness and will change your way of thinking if you are very comitted to helping yourself. It really is an AMAZING book for depression. -Despin

Posts: 163 | From Cleveland, OH | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Paxil and it doesn't interfere with my ABX. I also take Ativan or Xanax to sleep.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two months ago I was where you are. I could not stand to be conscious.

I had already tried several anti-depressants, which caused heart palpitations, headaches, and enormous weight gain, but did not help my depression.

The supplemental amino acid L-tryptophan, completely resolved my depression at a dose of one gram taken each night at bedtime, away from meals. If you try it, you should only buy standardized, pharmaceutical grade, start with 1/2 gram and work up slowly until you get results.

I think the depression is even worse than all the physical symptoms of Lyme put together, so whatever you decide to do, I pray it will help you.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent book, excellent supplement; all great ideas. I take 90 mg of Cymbalta; extremely helpful. You need to be sure you are on a high enough dose if you start and still don't feel well.

Most people tolerate SSRIs with little to no difficulty.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] health [group hug] [kiss]

health, so sorry to read this! here's my hugs/kisses to help you thru another hour or day or minute!

i'm on zoloft for my depression; helps keep my temper from flaring.

since i spend time on here at these ungodly hours, NO SLEEP MEDS WORK FOR ME! i also have sleep apnea but can't wear c pap machine since my nose is stuffed up majority of night, and i can't breath!

if it's not one thing, it's another with lyme!

MURPHY'S LAW knows us chronic lymies only too well!

NATIONWIDE SUICIDE HOTLINE 1.800.784.2433 now please! If you are feeling suicidal, please call the SUICIDE HOTLINE. We care about you health.

these folks are professionly trained; we on lymenet are NOT trained. we just can provide you our personal experience and MORAL SUPPORT AS you struggle to see your glass HALF FULL and your raising from the bottom to the top of the water!

may you pray to god or whoever you believe in to walk in your shoes right now giving you a much needed reprieve. [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to read of your terrible depression! I know it all too well.

If one is coinfected with Bartonella, depression tends to be more treatment resistant.

Cymbalta helped me quite a bit with both depression and pain, but it was not until my dr. added Lamictal to the mix that I got serious relief!! the difference has been absolutely amazing. It can change one's entire outlook.

Another thing about depression - it can cause lots of physical symptoms, some of them quite similar to Lyme symptoms. It will be an interesting piece of diagnostic data for you once you are treated for the depression to observe what happens to the symptoms you believe are related to Lyme infection.

It is soooo important to get a real proper diagnosis before going down the path of intense antibiotic treatment for Lyme.

Hang in there!! "this too shall pass!"

Try to reach out to as many people as you trust to hold your hand thru this dark time - even though the depression will make it difficult for you to reach out.

Best wishes, and keep writing the group as long as you need and want to. Most of us have been where you are now.

Anneke

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a lyme literate psychiatrist who immediately recognized my neuroboriolisis (sp).

She wanted to prescribe Lexapro-her preference when treating Lyme Patients-however- a quack had previously prescribed Lexapro at such a high dose it made me whacko...

Lyme Literate psychiatrist told me lyme brains are really sensitive to antidepressents-and it was a shame I had that experience.

She gave me Zoloft to try-which I now take on a regular basis. I thinks it helps some-like Betty mentioned-it really helps me keep my anger in check.

I still do get depressed, but not suicidally depressed. I also experience moments of true joy and hopefulness.

Take Care,
Carol

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I know how you feel.

I take 200mg Zoloft. It really helps. I missed a dose and I can tell. I also think it helps with pain. 200mg is a large dose, you may only need 50mg

Good Luck

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please hang in there! I have been in that hole you are in, and it's difficult to get out of. You have to try though, otherwise you'll go deeper and deeper.

I am on Lexapro and it has helped greatly! It has no abx interactions..

Also- my Lyme symptoms are extremely exaggerated when I have my cycle and I ovulate. Ovulation is the absolute worst! So I journal when I start these, and then I at least know they're coming and can at least know I am not crazy!

I will pray for you- you are not alone!
Laura

Posts: 232 | From MN | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Health,

I wanted to tell you my depression was caused by the abx's abx, tindamax and flagyl.

A few days off of those and my drepression cleared.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
echostef
Unregistered

Hello,
I currently take 20 mg of Lexapro daily and it has helped my depression and panic attacks greatly.

I also keep 1 mg Ativan (lorazaepam) tabs around in case I can't fall asleep.

I tried Effexor and it made me feel really spacy. Also tried prozac and it seemed to make me panic even worse. I think sometimes it is necessary to try a couple different rx's and see what works best for you.

I tried for awhile to just tough it out w/o anti-depressants and it was impossible.

I don't feel "different" on Lexapro...just less desperate and anxious. I would not be able to get through this experience without it.

Stefanie [Smile]

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Lexapro as well, after trying to tough it out for 8 months. I didn't want to take it, but now that I do, I'm so glad. It really helps with the anxiety that was a large part of my picture.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone,

From what I have read several of you are on Lexapro. I am not covered for this on my Disability, I am in Canada.

I think covered for the older ones. Zoloft, or Prozac, or Celexa.

What do you think of these?
I see some are on Zoloft, but it does not seem to be really good with you all on it.

Cymbalta, I dont know what this is, is it like Zoloft?

My MD, is not the LLMD, he is simple, he did want me on Effexor, but I read that this now has a BLACK box warning, so dont want it, I never did take it,

I am in a severe depression. I would go up to Emergency before I took my life, check my self into some Hospital if it gets to that point, so hopefully I will be ok till tomm.

This depression has hit me in the past 3 days, I dont think it is a herx, but it could be, but I dont think so, I have been very down,

and My brain is very worse, I cannot recall words and I feel like I am 15. Pretty bad.
I feel like I am a kid, the mentality of a kid sometimes, pretty sad for me to feel like this/

I am not good at dealing with a chronic illness anymore, it has taken its toll.

I would go on an antidepressant long ago, I just worrry about interactions with the lyme and babesia antibiotics.

I have had interactions and it is so scary.

Well, thanks everyone, tomm is the DR appt,
hope can get one.

AND, I do need some drug to treat this, it is just too much to take. I found NO negativity in any posts above, just kind help, thanks all. [Smile]

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eliza85
Member # 13630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eliza85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I just wanted to tell you I have been on an antidepressant for most of my adult life yes before lyme. I ve been on a few different kinds but the best one I have found for me is Celexa (another name for it is Lexapro). I can feel it working the next morning after taking it. THings just get a little easier to take. Please dont wait to get help if you pray then pray if you cant pray then ask someone to pray for you. Think about what makes you a little happy, like ice cream, eat ice cream, eat choclate for that matter. Go back to the simple things and celebrate the little things and let the big things go for now, you can always catch up with them later.
I hope this helps and I'll say a prayer for you.

God Bless and be at peace,
Beth

Posts: 33 | From Clearfield, Pa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

I have done some research and I am going to see if I can take Celexa. It is an older form of Lexapro. Cymbalta, I dont know what this is.

Many on here are saying Lexapro is working, so the next best thing for me may be the older version of Lexapro which is Celexa, it may be covered, Lexapro is not covered on my Disablity.

I read on here that Lexapro is the newer generation of Celexa, and I think Celexa may be covered, if I cannot take this, I will take another one.

thanks,

Trish

JulieF
Member # 13710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JulieF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Cymbalta. It relieved the depression without making me feel groggy.

Also, it can help ease some of the pain from the nerves acting up. It comes in 2 doses - you start on the low (35mg, I think) then step up to 60mg.

Zoloft didn't touch the depression and effexor and I became enemeies quickly!

Good luck!
Julie

Posts: 8 | From MS | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

thanks everyone,

I saw the DR today and he gave me the Celexa, start off with 10mgs a day and see him in 2 weeks to check in on me.

I also had high blood pressure, something I have never had in my life. It was 138/89

and the DR said he wanted to watch it to see if it goes up or down, so I will see him in 2 weeks.

I am not well, something is wrong, I think the minocycline is not effective anymore.

I have been on it for 3 months, and I am not sure why the past 1 week have gotten worse, I though it may be the nystatin I added in, and possibly it is making the minoclcyine less effective? I dont know, I am stopping it for 1 week to see if I get better. It has some fillers in the tablets which are called Nilstat, and I thought they may absorb the minocyline even if I take it 3 hours away. I will see,

High blood pressure, can this be from lyme getting worse?

I have put on weight, 60lbs in 4 years, but the blood pressure has not been this high before, and I eat well, although I over eat sometimes, as you can see I have gained weight.

I have exercised all my life and ate well, so this is a new thing for me this weight, and NOW this high blood pressure, he said it was nearing the high and he was concerned.

thanks,

Trish

Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't depression be caused by abx killing off Lyme bugs in the brain? My doctor said Tindamax could do that, but maybe some of the other abx would cause it too.

No advice, just that thought, and to wish you well.

Take care,
Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you're able to get some relief.

I was prescribed wellbutrin by my LLMD for the depression, and like too said, I don't think I could have made it without that--or something. Never saw depression like that.

I also took 1/2 mg of xanax for insomnia.

I've mostly weaned off both of these.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

My DR wanted to try me on the wellbutrin, but I was afraid of this because he said it has more stimulating effects then the Celexa,

I cannot get too stimulated I felt so asked for the Celexa, I could be wrong and how i think it may stimulate me, the wellbutrin, it may not.

I can always switch if this does not work.

Yes, the depression is something now I have never had, and I dont know why it is here from just being sick, or one of these infections worse,

thanks everyone,

Trish

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trish, I hope that works for you. I have used Zoloft in the past and had no problems with it. Just came across this tonight.

I take Trazodone for sleep and clarithromycin for Babs. Never heard of an interaction between the two. So far so good for me, into third month now.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

I wish I had answers for you - I really do. I'm in the same boat much of the time. My only suggestion would be to get a gaussmeter, but even if your house does test high for EMFs, you probably don't have the resources to move - that's my dilemma, too.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement