LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » diseased gall bladder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diseased gall bladder
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help! I am very close to a diagnosis of a diseased gall bladder that will need to come out. The gall bladder seems to be inactive or at least extremely sluggish. Do I go ahead with surgery or are there ways to revive a sick gall bladder and remove the small stones that showed up on the ultrasound? I am 21 years old and hate to lose a body part.

What about liver cleanses? Anyone tried the Hulda Clark liver cleanse? Can it be harmful? Would that be something to try before resorting to surgery?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have severe pain flucuating to aching in my gall bladder and liver area on the right side. The left side where my spleen is, also experiencing alot of pain and aches. This was about 5-7 yrs ago. My PCP ordered ultra sounds a couple different times.

Tests revealed all organs are normal. I knew there was nothing normal about it. Of course at that time there was a very looooong list of other sx going on. It was life with TBI's.

At that time I was doing lots of oral abx including doing IV rochepin. I haven't done abx in about 4 yrs. I decided to try alternative therapies.

I don't blame you, at your age 21 I wouldn't want to start pulling parts out that are having a hard time either. I don't know why my gall bladder, liver and spleen are happier these days. It's just happens to be a sx that is gone. Thank God.

Now I'm working on making my colon a happy place.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens when tests show that the gallbladder is not, in fact, functioning? What happens when they do show gallstones?

What do I do then?

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's not functioning, I'm not sure what can be done.

The only danger with small stones is that one could get stuck in the bile duct [a medical emergency] and then you'd be in a fix. So if you do the Hulda cleanse, it could be trouble.

That's the position I found myself in....but as it turned out, my stones were VERY large....as big as my surgeon's thumb! [5 of them] plus mine was diseased and non-functioning.

It was an easier decision for me, as I am more than twice your age!

How long have you been on antibiotics?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Are cleansing programs worth the risk of:

a. a medical emergency
b. not working

as opposed to removing the gallbladder?

Have you had problems with your digestion and health as a result of its removal? Does removal seem to be the best option for most people, or is it better to try and get it to work via natural methods?

I have not been on antibiotics for a couple years; I've been rifing instead.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I was wondering if you'd had time for the abx to correct any problems that Lyme may have caused it.

In my own mind, it was not worth the risk of a medical emergency. That was why I chose to have it removed.

I have not had any health issues without it that I know of. I do take digestive enzymes when I remember to!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Did you have a lot of pain before? Do you have problems digesting things now?

What about anyone else out there? Any other people with gallbladder experiences?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by missextreme:
Did you have a lot of pain before?
Yes, indeed!
Do you have problems digesting things now?Nope.

yeah, where is everybody??

maybe you can do a search of past discussions

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

MustBeaPony
Member # 11179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustBeaPony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Missextreme!

After/during much IV abx I began having gallbladder problems. While I was on Rocephin, I had Actigall to keep the bile thin and hopefully prevent the typical bg problems associated w/Rocephin. Even though I had not been on R for months, I began to have gb sx.

My LLMD ordered an ultrasound to determine the size of any stones - as Lymetoo said above - small ones get stuck in the duct and then you have an emergency situation - very painful I am told.

I had none, not sure what showed up - memory is not cooperating tonight. I did produce some interesting greenish gelatinous stuff as a result of my gb/liver cleanse.

My chiro (also my LLMD's chiro) had a `recipe' for a gallbladder cleanse that I did - don't know if it is/resembles Dr. Clark's. I did it and my gallbladder/liver improved dramatically.

It involved drinking a certain qty of lemon juice for a few days before, taking Epsom salts and drinking evo and vinegar....the results were unpleasant but worth it in my case.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS WITHOUT MD APPROVAL - just my experience. Its probably not appropriate to post here. If anyone is interested, I can email - just ask. Is that appropriate?

I always question surgery and think we need all of our parts. I was also told that Lyme and friends like organs like gb and appendix. I question any surgery with Lyme - it seems to flair (flare?) and take up new residence.

Again, I would not recommend this unless you have the blessing of your docs. Both my local LLMD and my ILADS md approved before I went ahead.

I continue to take Actigall as needed - if I began to `feel' it - I took it before a meal to thin the bile - learned how to manage it.

Now I am on maintainance orals, I still use it as necessary and then I know I need to step up my detox.

I practice a rigid `lifestyle' (diet) - absolutely none of the 5 or 7 evil whites(can't remember)and nothing artificial, a modified Candida free 'lymestyle'.

I think the gb has some function with detoxification there was a Townsend Letter regarding that topic http://www.townsendletter.com/Nov_2002/detoxxsystem1102.htm

Regarding the spleen pain/enlargement/inflamation (insert med term, can't retrieve) - couldn't sleep on my left side and towards `the end' (pre dx) on my back.

It was said to be primarily due to Babesia and diminished quickly with treatment.

Regular docs just checked my urine for blood - you would think they would have recognized an inflamed spleen - (insert term again, pls)

(Doing my `maintainance' this week and my brain is busy with the internal battle that I will win.)

Best of luck to you with this - you are definitely not alone.

Posts: 47 | From morgantown, wv | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actigall is a medication that is supposed to be able to break up small stones. I thought I had gallbladder problems, but all tests and ultrasounds were negative.

If you choose not to have surgery, I was told by my LLMD that if you have symptoms of an acute gallbladder attack you should go to the ER.

Lymetoo mentioned that the stones can get stuck in a duct. Apparently they can sometimes cause a puncture and this can be deadly very quickly. Like a burst appendix. So please keep that in mind.

I was lectured for not going to the ER when I first thought I had a gallbladder attack. It was extremely sharp pain and I couldn't move for a few hours.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement